The spring they became partners.

Other Halves
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter six - "The spring they became partners."

 

Hee-Sun and Na-Young were sitting on a bench in the courtyard of the hospital not far from their sons, who were sitting next to each other while other children were running and giggling by pair.

"No luck this time either..." sighed Hee-Sun.

"Don't worry. They will make it in time." Na-Young said, smiling at those two baby boys who were trying to chat. Only Joongie was blabbering nonstop, while the little Yunho was listening and nodded now and then. Sometimes the little boy made a conversation with the other cheerful boy.

Every time they left the seminar, nurse Choi always said the same sentences to them since the beginning.

"I'm sorry. They didn't manage to learn the process of Power transfer today again. Yunho is still shy. But Jaejoong's blabbering is somehow entertaining and made him open up bit by bit."

"Sorry, not today again. But this time, Yunho was able to talk a long sentence than a few words. Jaejoong and him were having a long conversation on everything and anything. Soon they should know how to do the Power transfer."

Hee-Sun was happy to know that Yunho could talk more and was opened up to Jaejoong. But, she wanted them to be able to do the Power transfer soon before it was too late for her son. Yunho was surviving into a few reserves he had.

"You're really optimistic." Yunho's mother breathed.

"Every child grows at his own pace."

Hee-Sun glanced at her son. It was what nurse Choi said to her. But, she couldn't stay still while Yunho drained his strength day after day.

"They're the only ones left from this month's seminar that haven't managed to learn how to transfer the Power." Hee-Sun breathed. "To think that Yunho could really be this shy..."

"Don't worry too much." Na-Young smiled at the young woman sitting at her right. "He is an intelligent child. He will manage to learn the process of the Power transfer soon."

The two young mothers watched their sons discussing with each other. They seemed to get along. With a little Jaejoong like this, it wasn't a surprise to see the little Yunho smiling and talking to the other child.

"I wonder what they are talking about..." Na-Young said, leaning her elbows on her knees, her eyes never unlocked from the two boys.

"It does make you wonder." Hee-Sun added, looking at the two boys.

"Once, Yunho sees how good charging feels after the first time, there shouldn't be any problem, right?"

"I think so." Hee-Sun replied. "Since Yunho is already four, his body is been waiting to receive Power for a while now. If he doesn't get some really soon, I think it's going to start wearing on him."

While the two mothers were chatting together, the two little boys were trying to play with each other.

Little Joongie was the one who talked a lot, while little Yunho listened to his blabbering. The latter was happy to hear every joyful day of his new friend and matched partner.

"You know... grandpa says that he is okay to br-bring us to catch big fish."

"Big fish...?"

"Yeah! Joongie goes one time with papa... grandpa and pappy. And they catch a big fish for Joongie." The younger boy said with a smile and took a few candies from the pocket of his hand-knitted cardigan, a present from his mammy Kyeong-Joo. "For Yunnie." He added tending his small hand full of candies to his matched partner.

The little Yunho looked at the small candies on his matched partner's hand for a while and turned his eyes to the younger boy. "For me?" And Joongie nodded eagerly. "Thank you..." The older boy said, taking the candies on his own small hand.

"It's a present from Joongie to Yunnie." The little boy said laughing softly.

"Present?"

"Like Yunnie gave candy to Joongie before."

"Oh..."

"Yunnie is happy? Right?"

The little Yunho smiled and nodded, making Joongie jumping a bit on his seat and clapping his hands with joy.

"Ah!" The younger boy squealed. "Joongie forgot to tell Yunnie that pappy and grandpa say hi to Yunnie."

"Hi..." And Joongie nodded. "But they don't know me."

"Joongie talks a lot about Yunnie to pappy and grandpa. Now, pappy and grandpa know Yunnie too." The younger boy corrected, trying to unwrap one of his remaining candies in his hands.

The little Yunho took the candy from the younger boy's hands and unwrapped the colorful paper for his friend. "Here..." He said reaching out his hand with the round and soft candy to his matched partner. And the little Jaejoong opened his pouty mouth for his friend to feed it to him. The older boy did it without delay. "It's good?"

"It's sweet..." Joongie said, trying to unwrap another candy.

"You have to finish the candy in your mouth before eating another candy." The older boy said, looking at his matched partner.

"Not for me."

"For who?" asked the little Yunho.

"It's for Yunnie."

"I can do it... myself..."

"No!" Jaejoongie whined and shook his head. "Joongie wants to do it too." And the older boy let the younger boy do as he pleased, watching him with a smile on his lips. Because it was the first time that someone else than his parents did something for him.

"I can help..."

"No! Joongie can do it..." The younger boy the corner of his mouth, unwrapping the blue paper with precaution. "Look! Joongie did it!" said the little Joongie, looking at his Yunnie with the most beautiful smile the older boy saw in his small life. "Say aaahh!"

"Aaah..." The little Yunho did what his matched partner said and the little boy fed him with the candy.

"Joongie did it." The younger boy clapped his hands with a big smile on his lips.

"Joongie is a grown up now."

"No! Joongie is a baby boy!" The little boy said, shaking his head slightly. "Yunnie is a gr-grown up. Not Joongie. Because there are a lot of things Joongie doesn't know to do."

"Me too..."

"No way!" Joongie exclaimed his surprise. "Yunnie is better than Joongie papa at building things."

"I played a lot with the building game at my house."

"Oh... Joongie is good at jumping. Look!"

The younger boy stood up from the step where they were sitting. He mounted at the step and jumped down from it. But the little boy lost his balance and fell on the ground.

"Joongie? Are you okay?" The little Yunho stood from his seat and stepped down next to his matched partner.

"Hurt... Joongie hurt..." The younger boy said, trying to contain his sob.

"Show me..." And Jaejoongie showed the palm of his right hand with a little scratch on it to the older boy. The latter smiled. "I blow some magic on your scratch, okay? Like appa always does it to me." The younger boy nodded, and the little Yunho blew some magic on the small wound. He took out his handkerchief from his pants' pocket and wrapped it around the little wound on his Joongie's palm. "Not hurt anymore?"

"Not hurt anymore." The younger boy shook his head slightly.

"Good..." The little Yunho help his matched partner to stand up. "Don't jump from that step. It's too high."

"But... Joongie know how to jump. Joongie always jumps at grandpa." The younger boy pouted.

"Your grandpa always catches you."

"Oh... But why Yunnie didn't catch Joongie?" The little boy asked innocently.

"Sorry. Next time."

"Promised?"

"Promised."

"Yunnie! Pinkie promise!" Joongie said hopping on his two feet.

"Okay..."

And the two boys made a pinkie promise under the stare of their young mothers. Hee-Sun was ready to run to them when the little Jaejoong fell on the ground, but Na-Young who knew her son better than anyone else made her sit again on the bench where they were.

The young woman was glad that she didn't go to them. Because she was able to witness a beautiful moment in her mother's life. Her son, Yunho could take care of the younger boy like a big boy and behave like all the children in this world, talking, smiling and making a child promise with another child.

"If only they could learn the process of the Power transfer..."

"You're really a worrisome woman."

"Not you?"

"For now, Joongie is only three. His body just begins to produce the Power. We have a long way to see him wearing." Na-Young said.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter