Chapter 014

All it took was a little shove.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Krystal's POV

I don’t know how but I ended up holding his hand again. It was me who did it. Who wouldn’t though. I looked around me and watched how a group of teenagers were barely holding up straight on their legs when they walked past us. One of the guys was holding onto a half- full bottle of alcohol and the rest were passing a cigarette-looking-thing around.

A few others on this narrow road were on the side vomiting their guts out and a guy talking to himself whilst attempting to cling onto the building with one hand had collapsed to the floor and afterwards had laughed at himself and tried standing up again. I only clutched harder onto Zico’s hand when a fight broke out just in front of us in between two guys which you have guessed right: were drunk. I was probably the only one out of the teenagers here fearing for my life and wellbeing. It was a disaster.

I don’t really know where Zico had taken me here, it seems like a place where people act very irresponsibly and want to get in trouble. I was on the verge of asking him to go back home until he stopped right in front of this queue. Are we going in there? A big looking guy was standing there with some sort of clipboard in his hand, an earpiece helping him out and dark shades that covered his eyes were on display and made him look important. He looked scarier than Zico and I thought that it was impossible to achieve.

I took a look at the people in the queue and they were giving us stares to why we walked past the line, it was like we committed a crime and I had no  idea why.

 Zico walked ahead and brought me along with him and we stood in front of the bodyguard guy which was by the way guarding this dark entrance. Soon I heard loud music and a strong bass coming though and making me shiver, it was really unsettling.

I turned to Zico before he even started speaking to the scary looking bodyguard. ‘’If going to a club is your idea of a date then I’m going home.’’ I said and my heels. I began walking away from him getting really angry. He forces me into the first date of my life and he brings me to a club, yeah because I’m definitely fine with that. I’d rather jump off a bridge than be in that room and go deaf and probably drugged through breathing, no thank you very much to that.

 I walked past the fight and past the teenagers now sitting on the ground and wondered which way I should freaking go, I needed to find a way home. A tight grip on my arm alarmed me and I nearly screamed if Zico didn’t step in front of me.

‘’Let go of me, I’m going home’’ I said. ‘’Wait, we’ll go wherever you want don’t go home just yet.’’ He said making the grip around my arm softer.

‘’Look at those two love birds Lara’’ my attention drifted towards the two girls on the floor which were resting their backs against the building with their high heels off and sitting next to them. The girls were focused on us and ready to gossip through drunken language. ‘’We’re not-‘’ Zico had taken me away before I even got to tell them that we weren’t love birds. He already had started laughing at me and was angrier at him.

We walked out to where Zico had thought to have left his car and reached a few complicated roads which I haven’t come across before. I looked up at him and saw his eyes too scanning the area.

‘’Are we lost?’’ I asked. ‘’Yes.’’ He stated. My eyes widened and I had already started to dread the worst. I’ve never been into this position before in my life. ‘’It’s okay, it makes this date more interesting’’ he said and I brought my hands up to my face. ‘’We’re lost’’ I whispered to myself again and again. I was panicking.

‘’ Krystal. It’s not the end of the world. We can walk home’’ he said and laughed at me. ‘’Stop teasing me!’’ I snapped at him and held onto my chest with both hands. I was worried. I was stuck with my bully in the middle of the city somewhere I couldn’t possibly get back home by myself.

‘’Let’s go, just lead the way. You’re in control of this date now.’’ He said and let me choose the way forward since I disagreed on the club he showed me earlier. We walked through more narrow roads and I managed to notice that these were the back of the buildings of the shops from the main road. It was only where we walked a little further where a white banner had caught my eyes.

‘’Let’s go this way’’ I said, Zico only followed next to me unaware of my plan. We went into the place specified on the banner and reached a closed off parking space. A huge van was parked on the further right, it had set out tables and chairs on the parking lot and as suspected it was providing the food.

‘’Volunteers this way’’ the white banner carried on and I walked in the direction that it was pointing in.

 

 I could actually do something nice for someone. It was a good day to choose after everything that happened, and besides it was my first time volunteering for something like this, I knew I’d feel proud of myself for giving my time up for helping the unfortunate and it was about time that Zico was to do something nice for someone else too. I knew that it wasn’t the best thing to do on a date but it wasn’t like I went on dates before…is this what people do on dates?

 Who cares, it’s not an official date anyway, it’s more of a come-with-me-or-you-die thing so why not do this. It’s for Zico’s good anyway, he needs to learn how to be kinder to people in your community and especially to people at school; i.e. not bully your colleagues in the corridors or go to their homes and threaten them.

An older woman stepped towards us and held onto some sort of sheets in her hands. ‘’Oh, we have some teenagers here, I’ll take care of them.’’ The woman talked to the older volunteers at the tables and at the van as she walked towards us with a smile.

‘’Are you perhaps lost and had gotten here by accident?’’ she asked as she lifted her eyeglasses off and held them in her hand. ‘’Yeah-‘’ I talked over Zico, ‘’No, we’re here to volunteer’’ I said and I felt a reaction from Zico. The woman seemed so surprised that she dropped the pile of papers from her hand. I bend down to help her and handed the sheets to her. ‘’Well, that’s given me a shock, it’s been a while since teenagers have approached us with these sort of words. That’s very kind of you.’’ The woman said and looked at us and our attire with a little confused.

‘’Please come this way, I’ll give you some aprons so you won’t spoil your pretty outfits.’’ She said and led the way. A smile was plastered on my face. This is going to be fun. I looked at Zico and he wasn’t looking as enthusiastic as I was. ‘’Are you serious? Volunteering for the homeless people? As a date? Is this what you count as a date?’’ Zico asked and I tried to shush him, the lady could have heard him over his own needs of having fun in the club instead. We kept walking behind her and I frowned at him.

‘’You can go home if you want, I’ll be here helping out, maybe this nice lady will perhaps tell me how to get home alone’’ I said and watched him at the corner of my eye, I knew it’d spark him to worry. I remember he told me that he couldn’t let me go home at night alone otherwise he’ll feel guilty over the fact that he would have never known whether I reached home or not, that was the day he saved me at the train station.

 It was around ten and I knew my plan will work, he had to stay with me and help out. ’’I’d rather not’’ he said. There we go.

The lady had given us these white aprons to wear and I nearly laughed seeing Zico in it but I didn’t, he would have probably got angry at me for making him do this. It was for a good cause and way better than being at that suffocating party full of drug addicts and whatnot.

‘’All you have to do is help these people get their food for today’’ the lady had explained to us what we had to do and so left to do her thing. We met with the other volunteers and they praised us for being the helpful ones in our generation. I smiled whilst Zico couldn’t fit more frowns on his face. It was so ironic, he seemed so helpless.

We went to the big van and they handed us plates full of hot food to distribute, we went with them to the tables and handed it to the homeless people whom were seated down. More of them were coming in and I realised that they really needed the extra help from us, there really was a lot of work here; my legs had started hurting from standing up for so long.

We received ‘many thanks’ and kinds comments from the homeless people every single time we approached the tables, I could see that Zico had difficulty adapting to the ‘helpful lad’ but I did the talking for him, for example I had to say ‘It’s my pleasure’ for him otherwise the people will just be confused with the frown which was stable on his face. He really was annoyed at my choice of being here to help these people, I couldn’t enjoy myself at his reactions.

By the end of it my legs had hurt for real,  I actually wondered how the usual workers did it for so long. I stood next to Zico at the end and handed over the aprons to the old lady. ‘’Thank you for your help, I hope you have a lovely rest of your date’’ she said looking towards us with a generous smile. Zico had told her we were on a date thinking it would get us out of there sooner but she came up with a praise for us because it was good time to spend together and bond. That was the last thing I wanted to do… bond with this guy. Worst idea on the word, how the hell do you bond with a bully? Let me tell you how… you just don’t.

The old lady waved us off after she and the workers there had thanked us just before we left and wished us luck getting home after Zico rejected help from them dropping us off at home.

We walked out of the parking lot and I had to get used to the cold again, the apron they gave us was keeping me warm. It wasn’t that freezing but there was a change in temperature that bugged me.

Once outside the parking lot Zico turned towards me. ‘’Is this your idea of a date?’’ he asked lifting his eyebrows upwards. I took the hair tie out of my hair and let it loose. His eyes traced my hair for a second and then looked back at my face expecting an answer of some sort.

‘’We did something good. And besides you said we could go anywhere I wanted.’’ I said. ‘’Yeah, but not to volunteer for the homeless’’ he nearly yelled at me. ‘’Look, if you were this angry then why didn’t you just leave?’’ I asked.

Zico’s POV

I give her a chance to go out wi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter