Because Of You

The Silent Patient

 

 

 

Nobody's POV

 

 

I wonder what she's going to bring in tomorrow. I'm excited for the surprise but I'm not happy that Sooyoung's about to leave and go home. Is she going home to a girlfriend or a boyfriend or is she single. I wish I knew if she was taken or not because maybe I could stop myself falling for her anymore than I already have, thought Jessica.

 

"Okay I should really get going. Is there any chance of you telling me your name before I leave?" asked Sooyoung.

 

Jessica shook her head.

 

"Well it was worth a try. I'll see you in the morning. Don't miss me to much Ice cream." Sooyoung smiled as she waved goodbye to Jessica.

 

Jessica smiled then waved goodbye.

 

Out of the last 12 months I've been in hospital this is the most happy I've felt. But it's also the most frustrated I've felt too. I want to know so much about my beautiful, cute, caring and funny nurse.

 

I know if I actually asked Sooyoung my questions that she would answer but if I start talking, my whole life will be turned upside down again. I really don't think I'm ready to cope with that right now. But watching her walk out the door right now............. makes me want to be with her even more, thought Jessica.

 

Sooyoung apologized to Yoona and Seohyun for finishing work late. She had got a lift to work in Yoona's car.

 

"That's okay Soo. How's it going with....... Ice cream. I'm sorry but I just can't take that name seriously. Couldn't you have come up with a better name than that?" asked Yoona.

 

"I told you I came up with three silly names so that she'd tell me her real name but I never imagined she'd let me call her one of the silly names. Anyway Ice cream is a cute name and I think it really suits her." Sooyoung smiled.

 

"It is a really cute name for a cat or a dog maybe but not for a person." said Seohyun.

 

"But she's cute, so the name suits her. She's well .............. she's just so......" Sooyoung hesitated.

 

"She's just so what?" asked Yoona.

 

"She's just so cute and well I'm really enjoying being her nurse. I thought Miss Lim picking me was the wrong choice but I've only been with her for two days and I kind of wish I had more time in the day to spend with her." said Sooyoung.

 

"Soo, you like her don't you?" asked Yoona.

 

"Of course I like her." said Sooyoung.

 

"No Soo, you like her, like her." said Yoona.

 

"No, I don't like her, like her. I just said she was cute and now you're reading way to much into it." Sooyoung snapped back.

 

"Well good because you know the hospital rules Soo. We're not allowed to date patient's." Seohyun said.

 

"Yes I do know the rules and have I ever broken those rules? No! So you two don't have to worry about me okay?" Sooyoung said angrily.

 

Yoona then wrapped her arms tightly around Sooyoung.

 

"Sooyoung-ah we're sorry. We didn't mean to upset you." Yoona said.

 

Seohyun then wrapped her arms around Sooyoung and Yoona.

 

"Group hug." Seohyun smiled.

 

"Hey enough of this serious talk, I'm starving let's go to the noodle shop and have dinner." said Yoona.

 

"Noodles, Yum!!. Yes please let's go to the noodle shop." Sooyoung smiled.

 

"I'll call Fany on the way there and see if she wants me to bring some dinner home for her. I can't remember if she was going out with Bora tonight." said Sooyoung.

 

"Is Fany still trying to set you up with Bora's best friend?" Yoona asked.

 

"Yes, Bora and Sunhwa are coming over on Saturday for lunch. I'm sure Fany thinks it's going to be like a double date or something." said Sooyoung.

 

"But I thought you said you liked Sunhwa." Seohyun said.

 

"I do like her as a friend. I'm not sure I want her as my girlfriend though." said Sooyoung.

 

"Fany really wants you two together. You know she likes to pick girlfriend's out for you." said Yoona.

 

"Yes I know but she only wants me to date her girlfriend's best friend's. Because she thinks it's really cute that way but I wouldn't mind picking my own girlfriend for myself sometime. You know I love my best friend like crazy but sometimes she can be a bit pushy especially when it comes to my love life." said Sooyoung.

 

"Yes Soo, that we do know. So what are you going to do Saturday at this lunch then. You know she'll be trying as hard as she can to set you up with Sunhwa." Yoona said.

 

"I don't know. I just try not to think about it. Bora will bring some yummy food over for us to eat and to be honest that's what I'm looking forward to the most. As I said, I do like Sunhwa but I can't see me liking her as anything more than just a friend." said Sooyoung.

 

"Soo just tell Fany that you're not interested in Sunhwa as a girlfriend. If you don't tell her you know she'll keep pushing for it to happen." said Seohyun.

 

"I know but even if I tell her she'll just keep nagging me about it. Why don't one of you come to the lunch on Saturday and pretend to be my new girlfriend." said Sooyoung.

 

Yooona and Seohyun laughed.

 

"Because Fany won't believe it if one of us pretends to be your girlfriend." Yoona smiled.

 

"That's true. Oh I don't know It's all to hard, I think I should just lock myself in my room on Saturday then." Sooyoung said.

 

"Choi Sooyoung you can't hide away from your problems. It gets you nowhere. Just tell Fany the truth." said Seohyun.

 

"Yes Mum." Sooyoung smiled at Seohyun.

 

 

 

The next day - Thursday.

 

 

 

Sooyoung picked up the surprise for Jessica on her way to work.

 

Once she checked in at the main desk she headed straight to Jessica's room.

 

She knocked on the door then entered. She tried to hold the surprise behind her back.

 

Jessica's face lit up as soon as she saw Sooyoung.

 

"Good morning, I told you I would bring you a surprise and that's just what I did." smiled Sooyoung.

 

Jessica smiled at her while she was sitting on her bed.

 

"Now you can't keep this surprise because I have to take it back at lunch time, okay?" 

 

Jessica nodded her head.

 

Sooyoung then placed the surprise on the bed. The surprise began to make meowing noises. 

 

Jessica got so excited when she heard the meowing.

 

Sooyoung had gone to her local pet shop and picked up a kitten for Jessica to play with for the morning. The hospital often used animals from the pet shop to help cheer up patient's. The pet shop owner knew Sooyoung well, so she had no trouble borrowing the kitten for the morning.

 

Sooyoung took the towel off the outside of the cage. Then she opened the cage up and lifted the cute black and white kitten out and handed it to Jessica.

 

"It's black and white just like the toy kitten I got for you." Sooyoung smiled.

 

Jessica held it and began to the kitten while a huge smile took over her face.

 

"Do you like my surprise?" asked Sooyoung.

 

Jessica nodded her head happily.

 

About five minutes later the orderly brought in some kittly litter in a tray for the kitten. Sooyoung stayed with Jessica for the next hour while she played with the kitten.

 

"So Ice cream I really have to go see some of my other patient's now. Will you be okay to look after the kitten while I'm gone?" asked Sooyoung.

 

Jessica nodded her head happily.

 

"Okay I'll see you later then. If you need me at all just press your button." Sooyoung smiled.

 

Jessica locked the door once Sooyoung left so that she could walk around and play with the kitten and talk to it without having to worry about someone walking in on her.

 

Just before lunch Sooyoung went to see the Nursing Director Miss Lim.

 

"Hi Sooyoung, Please come in." said Miss Lim.

 

"Miss Lim I was just wondering is someone giving Ice cream sponge baths and getting her dressed or is she doing it herself?" asked Sooyoung.

 

"None of the nurse's are bathing her. So she must be bathing herself. Why?" asked Miss Lim.

 

"Well I just wanted to know because obviously if she's been bathing herself then she has to get out of the wheelchair to do it. So what's to stop someone walking in on her while she's standing up to get out of the bath or while she's getting dressed." said Sooyoung.

 

"The night time nurse said she walked into her room while she was having a shower." said Miss Lim.

 

"So the nurse saw her standing up?" asked Sooyoung.

 

"No, she could hear the shower running in the bathroom but the bathroom door was locked. So I guess she must get changed in the bathroom too while the door is locked."

 

"Oh I see. So she is obviously standing and walking, it's just none of us have seen her do it yet.  By the way she loves the kitten I brought in for her to play with." Sooyoung smiled.

 

"That's great. So do you think you're any chance of getting her to talk or walk?" asked Miss Lim.

 

"I honestly don't know. I think she feels comfortable around me though but there's something stopping her from opening up. It's hard to try to break through with her when all she does is nod or shake her head at me but I really want to get to know her better so I'll keep trying my hardest." said Sooyoung.

 

"Well keep up the good work Sooyoung. The night time nurse said she didn't want anything to do with her the first night and last night she said that Ice cream seemed really sad for some reason. Yet she is progressing well with you so I'm happy about that." Miss Lim smiled.

 

"Thanks, I guess I better go see her and take the cute kitten back to the pet shop now." said Sooyoung.

 

"Okay well if you have anymore questions, please just come see me again."

 

"I will, thanks." Sooyoung said before leaving.

 

She then headed to Jessica's room. She knocked and went to open the door but it was locked.

 

"Hey Ice cream, are you there? Are you okay?" Sooyoung asked slightly panicked.

 

Jessica then opened the door.

 

"Are you okay? Why was the door locked?" asked Sooyoung.

 

Jessica didn't look at her and moved her wheelchair back towards the kitten that was on the floor.

 

"Are you ignoring me on purpose?" asked Sooyoung.

 

Jessica just shrugged her shoulders.

 

"Okay fine don't answer me then." said Sooyoung.

 

I guess Sooyoung's upset with me. I'm not going to talk right now to tell her I locked the door so I could talk, walk around and play with the kitten. She'll just have to work it out for herself, thought Jessica.

 

"So did the kitten go to the toilet in the kitty litter?" asked Sooyoung.

 

Jessica nodded her head.

 

I guess she's not ignoring me. She just didn't want to let me know why she locked the door before but I'm guessing she did it so she could walk around without being caught, Sooyoung thought.

 

Sooyoung then picked the kitten up gently.

 

"You're such a good kitty for going to the toilet in your litter." Sooyoung smiled.

 

"I'm sorry Ice cream but I really need to take the kitten back to the pet shop now. I hope you enjoyed playing with him." said Sooyoung.

 

Sooyoung walked over to Jessica.

 

"Do you want to say goodbye to the kitten before I take him back?" asked Sooyoung.

 

Jessica patted the kitten then hugged it one last time.

 

"Okay I better go. I won't be able to have lunch with you today because I have to take the kitten back." said Sooyoung.

 

Jessica felt sad after hearing that Sooyoung wouldn't be having lunch with her.

 

"So where did that smile go that I saw on your face before?" asked Sooyoung.

 

"You're sad that I'm taking the kitten away arn't you?" asked Sooyoung.

 

No Sooyoung, I'm sad because you're not going to have lunch with me today. I loved spending the morning with the cute kitten but if I had a choice to spend the morning with you or the kitten, then I would of chosen you, thought Jessica.

 

"Are you okay Ice cream? Here you can pat the kitten again if you like?" asked Sooyoung.

 

Jessica just shook her head.

 

What's wrong with you Ice cream. Why are you so sad all of a sudden, thought Sooyoung.

 

Sooyoung put the kitten back in the cage and then put the towel over the top of the cage.

 

"The orderly will come and take this kitty litter away soon." said Sooyoung.

 

She still looks so sad. Maybe I did the wrong thing bringing the kitten in for her to play with. Sooyoung then walked to the door. Once she reached the door her pager went off. She saw it was for room 62. So she placed the cage on the floor and walked back to Jessica.

 

When she looked at Jessica she saw tears run down her face.

 

"Hey what's wrong?" asked Sooyoung as she stood right in front of Jessica's wheelchair.

 

Jessica then wrapped her arms around Sooyoung's waist tightly.

 

I'm not sure why she's hugging me right now but I really wish I could hug her back. I'm so confused right now but one thing I do know is I probably shouldn't be feeling the way that I do about this patient of mine, thought Sooyoung.

 

"I really wish you would talk to me Ice cream because I'm feeling so confused. Are you looking so sad because I'm taking the kitten away or is it because I'm not going to have lunch with you today?" asked Sooyoung.

 

Jessica looked up at her still with tears falling.

 

Sooyoung crouched down in front of Jessica's wheelchair and started to gently wipe her tears away.

 

"I've already told you how cute you look when you smile or laugh and you look even more cuter when you giggle but here you are with tears looking so sad. I wish you would tell me why you're feeling so sad right now." said Sooyoung.

 

Jessica looked at her.

 

Sooyoung gently brushed Jessica's hair behind her ears.

 

"Please tell me, are you feeling sad because the kitten is leaving or because I'm leaving?" asked Sooyoung...............