New Patient

The Silent Patient

 

 

 

 

 

Welcome to my new fic!!  This is my second story. I'm so happy to see some subscribers from my first fic 'A Different Kind Of Love' already subscribe to this one. I hope I don't let you all down. Big thanks also for the couple of upvotes too :)

I hope you all enjoy this new fic  :)

 

 

 

Nobody's POV

 

 

 

Sooyoung got herself ready for work she pulled on her black work trousers and then put her navy blue polo shirt on, which had the initials 'DRH' embroided on it. The intitials stood for the 'District Rehabilitation Hospital'.

 

Once she finished tying her hair back in a pony tail she walked out to see Tiffany in the kitchen.

 

"How come you need to start work earlier today?" asked Tiffany.

 

"I've got a special meeting with the Nursing Director this morning." said Sooyoung.

 

"With the Nursing Director. That sounds kind of serious Soo."

 

"I know I'm a bit nervous actually." said Sooyoung.

 

"What do you think it's about?"

 

"I'm not to sure but we don't normally have one on one meetings with her, we normally have staff meetings that include everyone."

 

"I'm sure everything will be fine." Tiffany said.

 

"Well I guess I should get going and find out for myself."

 

"Give me a call on your lunch break. You can tell me all about the meeting and don't forget we're going to the movies with Yoong and Seo tonight." said Tiffany.

 

"Fany I live with you and I work with them, how could I possibly forget." Sooyoung smiled.

 

Tiffany grinned back at her.

 

 

 

                  --------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

Sooyoung made sure she arrived early for the meeting so that Miss Lim the Nursing Director would be in a good mood. Most of the time she was nice but on her bad days all the nurse's would try to stay out of her way.

 

Sooyoung had worked at the hospital for 18 months now. She and her two closest work mates Yoona and Seohyun were known as the most caring and hard working nurse's at the hospital.

 

Sooyoung waited nervously and patiently outside the Nursing Director's office until the door opened.

 

"Choi Sooyoung, please come in." said Miss Lim.

 

Sooyoung took a deep breath in then walked into Miss Lim's office and sat down quietly on the other side of her desk.

 

"Thank you for coming in early to meet with me." 

 

"That's okay Miss Lim."

 

"Now Sooyoung, I'm meeting with you right now to discuss a new patient that arrives today. I wanted to let you know that I have specifically chosen you as the most suitable nurse for this patient."

 

"Oh okay." said Sooyoung.

 

"But she's no ordinary patient. She's already been to four other hospital's in the past year. Every three months she gets moved to a new hospital because no one has been able to get any sort of response from her."

 

"What do you mean by any sort of response from her?" asked Sooyoung.

 

"Well she was admitted into a hospital 12 months ago because she collapsed on a street. The Doctor's felt her collapse was due to exhaustion and severe stress. But not once since she's been hospitalized has she ever spoken."

 

"Nobody even knows her name. See she refuses to talk to anyone and the patient is also confined to a wheelchair because she won't walk either."

 

"The Doctor's have run every test available on her and there is no medical reason for her not to be able to talk or walk." said Miss Lim.

 

"So you're saying that she actually should be able to walk and talk but she's just choosing not to?" asked Sooyoung.

 

"Yes, we have no idea why she's not communicating with anyone."

 

"So can she read and write?" asked Sooyoung.

 

"We're not actually sure. Nobody's seen her read or write so there's just so much we don't know about her."

 

"So she hasn't had any family or friends come looking for her the past year?" asked Sooyoung.

 

"No nobody has come looking for her. It's really strange."

 

"So Miss Lim you're telling me that no other doctor or nurse has ever got got a response from her." asked Sooyoung.

 

"That's exactly what I'm saying."

 

"Then why do you think I'll be able to get a response out of her when no one else has?"

 

"Sooyoung, I'm not saying you'll be able to get her to do anything. It's just you have a special way of lighting up patients day's even when they're at their lowest of lows. So for me you're the obvious choice." said Miss Lim.

 

"But then won't you only be disappointed in me if I can't get her to respond to me."

 

"Sooyoung you have nothing to lose. Four hospitals before us had no luck with her so they won't think negatively of us if we fail. I believe some of my staff are the best available nurse's around and I know if anyone is going to be able to have an impact on her then I think that person is you."

 

"I'll try my best. I just hope I don't let you down." said Sooyoung with worry.

 

"I'm sure you won't. You had better get going though because she's due to arrive any minute now."

 

"And you said no one knows her name. What do I call her then?" asked Sooyoung.

 

"On the file she's listed as 'P598' so I guess you can call her that."

 

"I'm sorry Miss Lim but there's no way I can call her a letter with a bunch of numbers after it. She's a person not some robot."

 

"Choi Sooyoung, if you're not comfortable doing that then just come up with some other name for her. I'll leave it up to you. Come see me when you think of one."

 

"Okay thanks."

 

"Good luck." Miss Lim smiled.

 

Sooyoung then walked to the main desk to see if the new patient had arrived. She could see that one of the other nurse's had already signed the new patient in. She then asked the patient moving staff to have her brought outside to the garden area.

 

She then went and visited some of her others patients quickly before heading down to meet her new patient in the garden area.

 

Once Sooyoung got outside she looked over to the garden area. She could see a wheelchair off in the distance. She walked over towards the wheelchair as she got closer she couldn't help but notice the patient's beautiful long brunette hair flowing in the wind.

 

Sooyoung had read over the patient's file before she came out. There was no age given for the patient either. Sooyoung knew it was going to be quite a challenge with this patient.

 

Sooyoung then walked across in front of her. She offered her hand to the new patient as she introduced herself.

 

"Good morning, My name's Choi Sooyoung and I'll be your day time nurse for your stay at this hospital." she smiled but the patient was not accepting her handshake.

 

Okay well she wouldn't shake my hand. That was kind of embarrassing, thought Sooyoung.

 

"May I ask what your name is?" asked Sooyoung.

 

Sooyoung wasn't expecting her to say anything but thought it would be rude to not at least ask.

 

The patient just turned her head away from Sooyoung.

 

Way to go Sooyoung, she already hates you and you've only just met her, she told herself. Okay well I have no idea why Miss Lim picked me. This girl doesn't even want to look at me. So what will I do now, thought Sooyoung. I'm really going to have to come up with some new ideas with her.

 

Sooyoung was known for making up her own stories for all of her patients. So she thought she'd give it a go with this patient.

 

"Okay well I guess I'll tell you a story then." said Sooyoung.

 

"One upon a time, there was a beautiful princess who was stuck in a .......... let's say, a chair. She was the most beautiful princess in the whole kingdom but no one knew what her name was."

 

"Everyone really wanted to know what her name was so a somewhat stunningly beautiful nurse rode to her on a noble horse." Sooyoung pretended she was riding a horse.

 

"She then dismounted the horse and walked elegantly towards the beautiful princess. The stunningly beautiful nurse then got down on her knee and said. Oh hey there most beautiful princess with no name, would you be so kind to let a very pleasant nurse know what your beautiful name is?" said Sooyoung.

 

But there was no response what so ever from her patient.

 

"Hmmm looks like I've got a pretty tough audience today. Just so you know most of the people in this hospital would of thought my story was really funny, but don't worry you haven't hurt my feelings just yet."

 

"But if you didn't enjoy my story you know I could always sing for you." Sooyoung smiled.

 

The patient then covered her ears.

 

"Wow, you're covering your ears. Are you sure you haven't met me before and heard me sing. Don't worry you can uncover your ears now. I promise I won't sing. I really want us to get along so how about I dance for you instead?"

 

"I can do a really good moonwalk. Watch me." said Sooyoung.

 

The patient watched her intently.

 

She started to do the moonwalk and at the end she did a fast spin and nearly fell over. She heard laughter from a distance. She looked over and could see her two work friends Yoona and Seohyun watching her with laughter.

 

Sooyoung excused herself from her patient and walked over to see her friends.

 

Thank goodness my nurse walked away from me just now because I nearly laughed in front of her, thought Jessica. She's so silly, I mean that story she told was just............ actually it was kind of funny and then when she tried to do the moonwalk she almost fell over. How can I continue to have her as my nurse if she keeps doing things like that, I'm bound to laugh at her sooner or later and I don't want anyone to see me laugh.

 

Once Sooyoung reached her friends.

 

"Hahaha Soo, are you going to try and tell us that your ending where you nearly fell over was planned." Yoona laughed.

 

"Of course it was planned. Did my moonwalk look awesome?" asked Sooyoung.

 

"Ah no.... no it wasn't awesome." Seohyun laughed.

 

"Whatever you two, you're just both jealous that you can't dance as good as me." Sooyoung smiled.

 

"So Soo, we heard you've got the new patient. How's it going?" asked Yoona.

 

"It's not going at all. I think she hates me already. She even covered her ears when I told her I was going to sing."

 

"Is it true that she doesn't talk?" asked Seohyun

 

"Yes and Miss Lim seems to think I can pull off some miracle with her but honestly if she hasn't talked or walked for 12 months why would she start doing it now just because I'm her nurse."

 

"Don't sell yourself short Soo. You do have a special way with patient's." Seohyun said.

 

"But so do you two. Why would she pick me. I mean I normally only get the elderly patient's. You two normally get the younger patient's not me." said Sooyoung.

 

"They only give me the younger male patient's. Seo you get the younger female patient's." said Yoona.

 

"Yes that's true. Soo you get the older patient's, Yoong gets the young and middle age male patient's, while I get the young and middle age female patient's." said Seohyun.

 

"That just proves my point. Seo she should be your patient not mine" said Sooyoung.

 

"Well I agree with Miss Lim, you are the perfect nurse for her. You just need to believe that for yourself." said Seohyun.

 

"I really need to get back to her now. I'll catch you guys later." Sooyoung smiled.

 

Sooyoung headed back towards her patient.

 

It's so hot right now. Why did they leave me here in the hot sun, thought Jessica. She then started to roll her wheelchair away.

 

"Wait I'm coming." yelled Sooyoung.

 

She moved back in front of her patient and looked at her face.

 

"I'm so sorry I left you here. You look really hot and I can see you're sweating. I'll push you over to the shade." said Sooyoung with concern.

 

Once they reached the shade Sooyoung grabbed the towel from the back of Jessica's wheelchair.

 

"I hope you don't mind but I'm just going to wipe some of the sweat off you with this towel. I'll be gentle." Sooyoung said as she gently wiped the sweat away.

 

Jessica watched her nurse closely while she wiped her face. She felt herself being totally captivated by Sooyoung's eyes.

 

"Again I'm really sorry for leaving you out in the sun for too long. It may not seem like it right now but I promise I'll be the best nurse I can be for you." said Sooyoung.

 

Soo looked at her patient, Jessica didn't respond to what Soo said but she did at least look at Sooyoung though.

 

"So I'm going to the movies tonight with my friends after work. Do you like going to the movies? Maybe the hospital would let me take you on an excursion to the movies sometime. I mean if you wanted to of course."

 

It's been such a long time since I've seen a movie, thought Jessica. This nurse actually seems interested in me not like my other nurse's who would get angry at me for not talking to them within the first couple of minutes of meeting them.

 

"By the way, I kind of talk a lot, so if you get sick of me talking too much, I'll give you this to throw at me to stop me talking." Sooyoung said as she handed Jessica a tennis ball.

 

"I'll tell you something about me. I really love food, like all sorts of food. I've even got photo's on my phone of some of the best food I've ever eaten. I mean they say you eat with your eyes. You know like if something is well presented on the plate, it makes you feel like eating it more. So I think this would be ........." Sooyoung said before Jessica threw the tennis ball at her.

 

Sooyoung looked at Jessica who was now staring back at her with a grin on her face.

 

Yes, she smiled at me. I mean she did throw a tennis ball at me that kind of hurt but she still smiled at me, thought Sooyoung.

 

Sooyoung smiled back at her before saying.

 

"Okay, okay I get it. I was talking too much right." 

 

Jessica nodded her head in agreement with Sooyoung.

 

"Okay fine then, I'll give you the tennis ball back again, but can I still talk a little bit more?" Sooyoung asked before handing Jessica the tennis ball again.

 

Sooyoung stared back at Jessica as she said.

 

"So am I allowed to talk some more?"

 

But as soon as Sooyoung finished her sentence, Jessica threw the ball at her again with a big smile on her face.

 

Sooyoung laughed at her.

 

"Okay I get the hint. I know you don't want me to talk anymore but I'm not giving the tennis ball back this time because you seem to think it's pretty funny to throw it at me." Sooyoung smiled.

 

I think I can have some real fun with this nurse. Maybe hospital life won't be so boring anymore..............