The Contract

Do you love me?

Park Soo stared hard at the paper ring that was hanging on the necklace on Gary’s and Ji Hyo’s neck.

"An identifical pair of rings. It must meant something." Park Soo mumbled to himself.

Park Soo and the couple bumped into each other at a concert. The girl band performing in the concert is spokeman for Park Soo’s other products, he was therefore invited as the VIP guest.

Gary and Ji Hyo, and the rest of the RM members were also invited to the concert since the girl band had just came to Running man as guests.

Flashback

CEO Park, Ji Hyo is resting at the makeup room. Do you need me to get her?” Manager unnie bowed to Park Soo.

“No no, is ok. I just drop by to say hello. I had got my staff to buy some snacks and coffee for everyone at the studio. I thought I could bring Ji Hyo’s her share of the cakes and her favourite Americano.” Park Soon blushed slightly as he looked at the slice of chocolate cake and the cup of Americano in his hands. “I will go to the room to say hello. If she is sleeping, I will just leave the food on her dressing table.”

The door of the room has left ajar. Park Soo pushed the door open making as little noise as possible. True enough, Ji Hyo has her eyes closed. She was dozing off.

Park Soo smiled as he looked at Ji Hyo. At the same time, a pile of colored paper on the table caught his attention. He walked over to take a closer look. Accompanied by the pile of colored paper, there were some paper rings folded. Some were done unsuccessfully, some resembles the shape but not neatly folded.

Park Soo remembered that he used to folder such paper rings for his childhood sweet heart, who was also his first love. The paper ring symbolised love and promise. Unfortunately, his childhood sweet heart left him for another guy after he left Korea for his studies in the US at the age of 16.

“Sweet memories after all.” Park Soo smiled at himself. He picked up a piece of paper, folded a paper ring, a nice and neat one and placed it next to the pile of unfinished and badly folded rings.

“Ji Hyo ar……Though I am not sure why you are folding all these paper rings, I am sure you are smart enough to follow this template that I had folded.” Park Soo whispered softly.

Before Park Soo left the room, he took one of the badly folded rings from Ji Hyo’s pile of paper. “I will fix one of these and give it to you on the day when you accept me and my confessions.”

End of flashback.

Park Soo’s heart sank as he saw the paper rings on Gary and Ji Hyo. He immediately understood that, there must be some commitments between the couple.

“That should be the same reason why Ji Hyo did not response to my confession letter.” Park Soo clutched his fist. 

“Ji Hyo Ssi……do you think you can get away from me? I am not allowing that to happen.” Park Soo looked at Gary and Ji Hyo who were few rows away from his seat.

The couple was enjoying themselves in the concert. Ji Hyo was rubbing her hands against each other because of the cold from the air conditioned. Upon seeing that, Gary removed the handles between the seats and pulled Ji Hyo closer to him. He also took of one Ji Hyo’s hands and put it into the pocket of his jacket. The lights at the audience seats were dim, the couple thought no one saw their intimate acts but little did they knew that, there was one person watching them closer. And that is CEO Park Soo.


“What is this contract all about? Unnie, please explain to me.” Ji Hyo stared at the contract. Her eyes were widely opened. She thought that her eyes were playing tricks on her.

“Ji Hyo, unnie is very sorry. I did not notice this clause when the contract is renewed. I really don’t remember seeing this clause.” Manager unnie was also frowning as she read the clauses.

There was a clause on the contract stating that the spokeman for Park Soo’s company cannot get married or pregnant during the contract period and also 2 years after the contract ended. Ji Hyo’s contract with Park Soo’s company was 2 years, that means within the next 4 years, Ji Hyo will be bounded by the contract.

“No marriage and babies within the contract period, I can fully understand that. But 2 years after the contract ended, I thought this isn’t fair. Also, when I negotiate the contract with Secretary Lee, I already told her that this clause about marriage should be taken out from the contract. Otherwise, we will not renew the contract with them.” Manager unnie tried hard to analyze the situation.

“How am I to explain this to Gary Oppa. We had decided to tie the knot next year.” Ji Hyo felt that she has let Gary down.

“Ji Hyo, don’t worry. I will try to talk to Secretary Lee tomorrow. How could I overlook this clause in the contract.” Manager unnie kept blaming herself.


“I am sorry, CEO Park mentioned that the contract cannot be revised nor change. If he is to do that, is unfair to the other artists who had signed the same contract.” Secretary Lee told Manager unnie and Ji Hyo.

“You mean all the other artists had the same clause on their contract?” Manger unnie asked.

“Of course. What make you think Song Ji Hyo Ssi is so specially that the clause only applied to her?” Secretary Lee replied with a sarcastic tone.

“Ji Hyo, I really think there is something fishy going on. I had checked with the managers and agencies of a few artists who used to work for CEO Park’s company. All of them say there isn’t this clause of cannot get married and pregnant 2 years after the contract ends.” Manager unnie told Ji Hyo while they were driving to the next filming location.

“CEO Park, do you think we can have a talk on my contract with your company?” Ji Hyo texted Park Soo. Ji Hyo was hoping to understand what is going on with the contract since she believed in her manager unnie when unnie said the clause was not there when it was signed.


Ji Hyo wanted to discuss about the contract with Park Soo at his office. But instead Park Soo suggested to do it at the restaurant near the office.

Ji Hyo felt awkward as she walked into the restaurant. There were candle lights, roses, light music and wine. Ji Hyo squeezed the arms of her manager unnie as the ladies approached the table where Park Soo was waiting.

Park Soo’s bodyguards escorted Manager unnie to another table while Ji Hyo was made to sit with Park Soo.

“Let’s eat before we discuss about your contract.” Park Soo suggested. Both Park Soo and Ji Hyo made casual talks like normal friends throughout the dinner. When desserts was served, Ji Hyo couldn’t keep her patience anymore.

“Park Soo Ssi, can we discuss about the contract now?” Ji Hyo asked.

“Sure, Ji Hyo. I am ready to listen.” Park Soo leaned back on his seat as he answered Ji Hyo. Ji Hyo tried to signal her manager unnie to come over but was stopped by Park Soo.

“Ji Hyo ar….I want to hear from you instead of your manager.” Park Soo said.

“Me? But this is business. I am not good at that.” Ji Hyo tried to explain that she needs her unnie to be with her.

“Ji Hyo….why aren’t you responding to my confessions.” Park Soo asked.

Ji Hyo was shocked to hear that from Park Soo. She thought that a silent rejection will make the situation look better, the embarrassment and awkwardness can be avoided.

“Are you engaged with Kang Gary Ssi? Is that paper ring on your neck signaling something between you and Kang Gary Ssi?” Park Soo threw another question at Ji Hyo.

“Yes.” Ji Hyo took a deep breath before answering Park Soo.

“Park Soo Ssi. Gary Oppa and I had decided to tie the knot next year, somewhere in March. But we will keep this at low profile. I am sure this will not affect my professionalism in any ongoing assignments or future assignments. So, I sincerely hope that that clause about marriage and pregnancy can be removed from the contract.” Ji Hyo said.

“Ji Hyo, you can’t accept me, can you?” Park Soo asked again.

“Park Soo Ssi. You knew that I had a boyfriend.” Ji Hyo reminded.

“I knew. That’s why I tried to fight for you. I rejected all the other proposals for spokemen for the company from other artists and their agencies for that line of product you are endorsing. I only want you. Why do you think I am doing that? I want to keep you by my side.” Park Soo confessed.

“I may not be as romantic as Kang Gary. But I am sure I can be a better boyfriend and even a better husband than him. I can assured you I am a good man.” Park Soo stretched his hands across the table to try to grab Ji Hyo’s hands.

Ji Hyo quickly pulled her hands away, hiding them under the table.

“I know you are a good man. No doubts on that. But…but Park Soo Ssi….I love him. I love this man named Kang Gary. I knew he is the right one for me. Please give us your blessings.” Ji Hyo gathered all her courage, look straight into Park Soo’s eyes and told him how she felt about Gary.

“Ji Hyo Ssi. I have 4 years to make you change your mind. Let’s see if Gary Ssi can wait for you for 4 years. If his heart did not change 4 years later, I will give you my blessings.” Park Soo stood up. There was anger in his eyes. This was the first time in years that he confessed to a woman but yet he failed.

“And Ji Hyo Ssi…I can change the terms of the contract now or in future. So let’s see how long your Gary oppa can wait for you.” That was the last statement Park Soo made for the night before he slammed the door of the restaurant and left with his body guards. This was also the first time that Ji Hyo sees Park Soo losing his cool and his temper.


Ji Hyo told Gary about the contract when he came to Ji Hyo’s apartment on the very same night.

“Ji Hyo, don’t worry. Let’s take the contract and consult the Leessang’s lawyers. I am sure they can help.” Gary looked at Ji Hyo’s worried face. He can see that Ji Hyo was trying hard to control her tears. Gary felt his heart twitching for Ji Hyo. He wanted to see Ji Hyo laughing and not getting sad or worried.

Gary pulled Ji Hyo into his embrace and patted Ji Hyo on her back.

“Gary Oppa is here. Gary Oppa will help his loveable wife. So no worries. Even if there is no way out, I will wait for you. Regardless of 2 years or 4 years, I will wait. The title of Mrs Kang is only Song Ji Hyo.”