A box of Kang Gary

Do you love me?

It took Gary a while to cool down himself. He went to the bathroom to wash his face. The cold water from the tap has sort of cool down his lusts and desires. He also spent some time taking a good look around Ji Hyo’s room. Though Gary had visited Ji Hyo’s apartment a number of times, he always stayed in the living room or at the kitchen. Ji Hyo always kept her bedroom door closed.

Ji Hyo’s room is painted with a light tint of pink. Her room was not exactly neat and tidy. The queen size bed was a bit messy, the blanket and some pillows were on the floor after all the kissing and touching that had happened. Gary blushed as he recalled the lovely scene.

There were some family photos on the bedside table. Ji Hyo’s scripts were left on the single-seater sofa near the window. Some clothes and underwear were hanging around on the chair at the dressing table. A y black bra sitting on the dressing table caught Gary’s eyes. Gary tried to stop himself from imaging Ji Hyo wearing it, standing in front of him.

“Stressed! I better leave this bedroom before I lost my sense again.”  Gary quickly went to the bathroom, washed his face again, adjusted his shirt and went out to the living room.

By the time he walked back into the living room, Ji Hyo had already put the sofa cushions back neatly. The capsized coffee table was back at its position. Ji Hyo had started vacuuming the floor.

“Oppa, be careful, don’t step onto the broken glass.” Ji Hyo warned Gary.

“I will help you to fix the curtains.” Gary volunteered. He took a stool and tried to reach for the hooks but his legs were too short.

“Oppa, get a ladder from the store room.” Ji Hyo poked Gary on his back.

“Stressed! I wished my legs were longer.” Gary laughed with embarrassment.

As Gary was moving the ladder out of the store room, he noticed that there was a box labeled as KG in the room. Out of curiosity, Gary opened up the box. He saw all a good mixture of stuffs in the box. There were caps, T-shirts, singlets ( the few ones on the surface have skeleton prints on them), sunglasses,  socks, etc.

Gary picked up one of the caps, he saw a small embroidery on the side of the cap that says “KG”. He also picked up a few t-Shirts. “These skeleton prints are my favourite.” Gary talked to himself.

“Kang Gary, pali pali, what are you doing in the store room?” Ji Hyo became impatient while waiting for Gary to come back with the ladder. She found Gary staring at something in the store room.

“Yeh! Kang Gary, why did you open the box without my permission?” Ji Hyo quickly covered the box.

“Go out, go out.” As Ji Hyo was pushing Gary out of the store room, Gary was still holding on to the cap and the T-shirts.

“Yeh! Put these back.” Ji Hyo shouted nervously. She attempted to snatch the things from Gary’s hands to throw them back into the box. It was at this time that, another KG embroidery on the inside of the T-Shirt caught Gary’s eyes. Gary was quick to turn his back against Ji Hyo. He quickly flipped the remaining T-shirts in his hand, there were a “KG” embroidery in every T-shirt that he flipped.

Gary turned around suddenly with Ji Hyo’s face just a few inches away from his.

“KG stands for Kang Gary? All these are for me?” Gary smiled and asked.

“Kang Gary, you think too much.” Ji Hyo blushed. “Give these back to me.” Ji Hyo attempted to take back the T-shirts again when Gary grabbed her waist , hugging her into his embrace.

“Kang Gary, will give these to you if you fix the curtains for me.” Still in Gary’s embrace, Ji Hyo put her hands on Gary’s chest to seek for balance so that she can talk to Gary while looking at him.

“Deal!” Gary released Ji Hyo, picked up the ladder with one hand and placed the cap and T-shirts on the sofa. Within minutes, the curtains were fixed. Gary even snatched the vacuum from Ji Hyo to finish up with cleaning up the floor and followed by mopping the living room to get rid of the coffee stains.

Ji Hyo went to the kitchen to bring some snacks and coke for Gary as he was sweating from all the house chores. While Ji Hyo was in the kitchen, Gary went back to the store room. He dragged out the box and brought it to the living room.

He took up each and every T-shirt and singlet from the box. Every one of these was embodied with the KG word, and so were the caps. Some were neatly sewed, some looks ugly. There were a few with broken threads, leaving the KG letters incomplete. As Gary dig further into the box, he found a few copies of Leessang’s earlier albums and posters.

“Yeh! Thief, robbery!” Ji Hyo came back from the kitchen. Her eyes were wide opened when she saw Gary digging into the box.

“Kang Gary, I told you not to touch that box. You….you….you are a thief!” She put down the tray of snacks on the dining table, rushing over to the box.

Gary quickly sat on the box. He gave Ji Hyo a deep glaze.

“Song Ji Hyo, don’t deny. All these things are for me?” Gary couldn't stop smiling. His mouth was curved up. The more he dig into the box, the smile on his face became bigger and brighter.

“Ok Ok. This is a BOX of KANG GARY. Is all yours. If you like what were in the box, you can take all and go.” Ji Hyo pouted her lips and sat at the sofa.

“Tell me the truth.” Gary asked again.

Yes, this is a box of Kang Gary. All these stuffs, from T-shirts to caps to socks to ties, from sunglasses to watches to key chains, all sorts of mens’ stuff were found in the box. These were gifts that Ji Hyo bought while she travels to work from one country to the other, from one city in Korea to the other. Ji Hyo also could not remember when she had started keeping this habit of buying things for Gary. Whenever she went for shopping, she will always walk to the mens department unknowingly, and before she knew she would have bought something for Gary.

“This key chain is crafted by hand. I got it from Bali last week while working on the photo shoot.” Ji Hyo passed the key chain to Gary. There was also a KG curved on the back of the key chain.

“Wow, I am such a lucky guy.” Gary picked up Ji Hyo from the sofa, the bridal way. He spin Ji Hyo around, inviting screams from his lovely Mong Ji.

“Oppa….Oppa…stopped. You think we are filming a drama? Put me down.” Ji Hyo screamed.

For the rest of the night, Gary made Ji Hyo tell him the story of every gift he found in the box, till the Ji Hyo fell asleep on Gary’s chest and Gary fell asleep enfolding Ji Hyo closely.

“It was the happiest night in my life.” Gary mumbled before he drifted into dreamland.


It was a Sunday but Ji Hyo needed to rush for work the next morning. Her filming schedule was full from Sunday all the way to the next Saturday. She left a note for Gary who was still sleeping on the sofa, still with a smile on his face.

“Gary Oppa, breakfast is on the table. Also, please have a good talk with Miss Shin Jin. Perhaps you owe her some explanations. Love, Ji Hyo.”

Gary went to the bathroom to clean up himself before leaving Ji Hyo’s apartment.

“Wow, Kang Gary, you are glowing.” Gary looked at himself in the mirror. The mirror reflected a face filled with smiles and happiness.


Gary tried to call Shin Jin on his way to his studio. But no one picked up. He tried to call Simon D to find out from him how Shin Jin is doing. He also wanted to know if Shin Jin was the one who messed up Ji Hyo’s apartment and left scratches on her face since Ji Hyo refused to tell him any details. All Ji Hyo left was just a note to ask him to have a good talk with Shin Jin.

Gary was surprised to find Shin Jin drunk and asleep at his studio. Though her makeup was still intact, her hair is messy. She smelled of heavy alcohol and smelled like a walking cigar.

“Shin Jin was here since this morning at 8 am. She was very drunk. She fell asleep at our door step. I had called Simon D to come bring her in our studio. It is not nice to have a drunken woman lying around outside our studio.” Gil explained.

“Hyung, thank you.” Gary was embarrassed. He turned to Simon D and told him to stay till Shin Jin wakes up. Gary did not want to face Shin Jin alone.

“Gary Hyung, you owe me a favour. Write me a song free of charge.” Simon D joked.

Shin Jin woke up around noon. It was obvious that she had a hangover. She was holding and hitting on her head.

“Shin Jin, are you OK?” Gary brought her a cup of hot ginger tea.

“Gary Oppa!” Shin Jin immediately jumped onto Gary upon seeing him.

“Hey, be careful.” Gary was quick to avoid Shin Jin’s hug.

The next 10 minutes. Gary tried to talk things over with Shin Jin. He officially called a break off with Shin Jin.

Shin Jin sobbed upon hearing Gary’s decision.

“Gary Oppa, what did I do wrong? What you don’t like about me? I can change, I can change for you. “

“Shin Jin, there is no need for you to change for me. I am just not the right guy for you. You know I have someone else in my heart. So, you deserve someone better than me. I know that you still keep in contact with your ex boyfriend? I think he should be the perfect guy for you. He cares a lot for you, don’t he?” Gary asked.

“You knew him? You knew what happened between me and Jay?” Jay was Shin Jin’s ex boyfriend. The one she kissed and often spent the night with.

“Shin Jin, I think there is no need for us to dig out the details. But I really think he suits you better.” Gary tried to avoid the fact that Shin Jin and Jay does have an affair behind his back. He didn’t want to dig out such facts to make Shin Jin look bad.

“Gary Oppa, for what happened between me and Jay. Do you know you are the one who should be blamed?” Shin Jin raised her head and asked. Though she was still sobbing, there was an anger that flushed in her eyes?

“Me?” Gary was puzzled.

“Yes, you. You always reject me. You are so stringy with your love. You don’t even give me a kiss. I am an adult. I have my desires to fulfill. So I have to turn to someone. And Jay was there.” Shin Jin tried to reason.

“So you made a good choice of going back to him.” Gary was frustrated. He turned his back agianst Shin Jin. He couldn’t figure out why he was blamed for Shin Jin’s wrong doings.

“Gary Oppa, please don’t be angry. Forgive me for once. I will not do it again. Please….Please….”Shin Jin fell to her knees and begged.

 “Shin Jin, please don’t do that. I am not worthy of that.” Gary, with the help of Simon D, pulled Shin Jin up and put her on the sofa.

“Shin Jin, I need you to understand. There is no point for you to stay by my side since I had made it clear that I already had someone else. And she was here even before you came.” Gary pointed at his heart while talking to Shin Jin.

“Shin Jin, you are pretty and attractive. Find someone who deserved you.” Gary looked at Shin Jin with sincerity.

“Shin Jin, I thought perhaps we can still be friends after we broke off. But I am doubtful now, perhaps we should not see each other again. Also, I do not know what happened at Ji Hyo’s place. But I hope that no one will disturb Ji Hyo again. Vent it out at me if you need to do so.” Gary tried to make himself as clear as possible on his relationship with Shin Jin.

“Oppa, do we have to end this way?” Shin Jin asked.

“I am sorry. “ Gary apologized for the last time.

“Oppa, good bye.” Shin Jin seems to understand Gary’s point. She left with tears in her eyes. Her hands which were initially tighten into a fist was now released.

As Simon D and Shin Jin reached the ground floor of the building,  Shin Jin turned back and shouted at Gary who was standing by the window of his studio.

“KANG GARY, You just lost a pretty, charming and y girlfriend. You will REGRET it!” She waved at Gary and jumped onto a taxi, leaving Simon D at the side of the road and leaving Gary waving good bye at her by the window.

Gary was glad that he had a clean break with Shin Jin. He spend the rest of the day working on his music and  checking on his restaurant. By the time he reached home and took his shower, it was almost 11 pm.  He emptied all the items from the “Box of Kang Gary” that he brought back from Ji Hyo’s place, he smiled as he examined each and every item carefully. He traced his fingers over each and every KG embroidery.

While admiring these, Gary opened one of his drawers, and picked up a diary book wrapped with a black leather cover. Looking at the diary, he smiled again and picked up his mobile phone to text Ji Hyo.

Gary, 11:30 pm : Mong Ji Mong Ji, I missed you so much. Can we meet tomorrow evening after the RM filming? I want to show you “The Book of Song Ji Hyo.”