The childish couple

Do you love me?

Gary drove to the pub. He gulped down a few jugs of beer. The scene of Ji Hyo clutching onto Park Soo, and Park Soo’s kisses on Ji Hyo’s forehead kept replaying in front of his eyes.

Gary laid his head down on the table. He felt that both his heart and his head were so heavy. “Song Ji Hyo will not betray Kang Gary, she will not.” A voice kept ranging in Gary’s head.

“Hyung! Why are you here? Not busy dating or working?” A hand patted on Gary’s back. It was Simon D.

“Oh…is you. Come, drink with me.” Gary signaled to the bar tender for another 2 more jugs of beer.

“Hyung, you don’t look too good. Everything is ok?” Simon D asked.

“Sigh…..Stressed! Let’s drink!” Gary don’t feel like talking about his problems.

“Hyung, do you remember you ask me about Shin Jin?” Simon D asked as he took a slip of beer from his glass.

“Shin Jin? Oh yes, you found her?” Gary was surprised that there was actually news about Shin Jin since it was already weeks after he checked with Simon D.

“Yes. I heard something about her. But not sure if these were true.” Simon D said.

“Tell me.” Gary turned around and faced Simon D.

“I heard that Shin Jin got married to a rich guy in Australia.” Simon D said.

“Married? Well, congratulations! Toast!” Gary brought up his beer glass and started to drink again.

“I don’t think there is anything to congrats if the rumours are true.” Simon D sighed.

“Why?” Gary asked.

“That guy, she got married to, is 30 years her senior, old guy. He is old enough to be her father. It was rumored that she married him for his money. And that old guy in exchange wanted a baby. Her ex boyfriend, the guy that she slept with when she was still dating you, attempted suicide because Shin Jin left him. Fortunately, someone found him and send him to the hospital. He got his life back.” Simon D revealed what has happened to Shin Jin.

“Wow…that sounds like some soap opera drama.” Gary said lowering his eyes. Suddenly Gary feel guilty, he wondered if he is the cause of Shin Jin choose money over love.

 “Hyung, I know what you are thinking. This is not your fault. This is what Shin Jin herself has chosen for her life. Can’t blame anyone. Who knows, perhaps she is very happy now enjoying a luxurious way of life.” Simon D patted on Gary’s shoulders again.

“Yes! Who knows? Cheers!” Both men drank another few jugs of beer before going their separate ways.
 


Gary went back to the studio and work through the night. By 6 am in the morning, he was totally exhausted. He fell into deep sleep. In his dreams, he saw himself taking a stroll with Ji Hyo. But the next minute, Ji Hyo became Shin Jin. Another minute, Shin Jin became Park Soo.

 “Stressed! Funny dreams.” Gary mumbled to himself. There was sweat on his forehead. He tried to reach for his mobile phone in his backpack and only remembering that he left his phone in his car.

Gary saw a miss call from his manager. He returned the call.

“Gary, you already know Running Man filming tomorrow is cancelled right?” Gary’s manager asked.

“Cancelled? Why?” Gary started the engine of his car. He was hungry and needed some food to ease his hungry.

“Why?  Ji Hyo reported sick. Didn’t you know about that?” Gary’s manager asked.

“Ji Hyo reported sick?” The scene of Ji Hyo clutching onto Park Soo flashed into Gary’s mind.

“She was sick and that’s why she is leaning against Park Soo for support? But can I explain the kiss?” Gary continued to reason and question himself.

As Gary stopped for the traffic light, he saw another missed call, this time from Ji Hyo’s manager unnie. Gary decided to return the call.

“Noona. This is Kang Gary, did you call?” Gary said politely.

“Gary Ssi. I called you at 10 am this morning, now is almost 4 pm.” Ji Hyo’s manager almost screamed in the phone.

“If I had not sprained my ankle, I would not be even calling you. I just wanted to tell you that Ji Hyo is not feeling well. I thought I can get you to drop by her apartment to check on her. You know, yesterday’s harassment is a shock to Ji Hyo. I think that’s the reason she fell sick.” Ji Hyo’s manager explained her intentions.

“Noona, you sprained your ankle? Harrassment? Ji Hyo? What happened?” Gary was confused but he can sense that something not good may have happened to his girlfriend.

“Gary Ssi, didn't you meet Ji Hyo yesterday? You don’t know what happened?” Ji Hyo manager explained about how Ji Hyo was harassed and how disturbed was Ji Hyo after the incident.

Gary who was driving his way to his restaurant, immediately changed his direction. He stepped on his brakes and speed all the way to Ji Hyo’s apartment. His heart ached for Ji Hyo.  He blamed himself for not taking care of his girlfriend when she is in need for his support.


Gary came face to face with Park Soo for the very first time at Ji Hyo’s apartment.

Gary had never expected to see Park Soo in Ji Hyo living room wearing an apron and holding a bowl of congee in his hands.

“That is MY apron. Ji Hyo says I looked y in that apron.” Gary cursed silently in his heart.

“Annyeonghaseyo. My name is Kang Gary. I am Ji Hyo’s BOYFRIEND.” Gary introduced himself.

“Song Ji Hyo is MY WOMAN. I, Kang Gary is HER MAN.” Another POV exploded in Gary’s mind

“Annyeonghaseyo. I am Park Soo. Ji Hyo’s…..sponsor, or rather friend. I should say I am her friend.” Park Soo stretched out his hands to shake Gary’s.

At this moment, Ji Hyo came out from her bedroom with a woman in her early 50s.

“Oppa.” Ji Hyo said.

“Yes?” Both Park Soo and Gary responded to Ji Hyo’s call at the same time.

“Gary Oppa, when did you come?” Ji Hyo felt awkward. She quickly addressed Gary by his name. She was worried that Gary will get jealous upon seeing Park Soo at her apartment.

“This is Park Soo Ssi, my sponsor. This is Lee Nam Hee Ssi, she is the secretary of Park Soo Ssi. This is Kang Gary, my boyfriend.” Ji Hyo introduced them to each other.

Gary was thrilled upon hearing how Ji Hyo introduced him to Park Soo. A smile immediately spread across his face. “I won.” Gary screamed with joy in his heart.

“Ji Hyo, I heard noona said that you are sick?” Gary hold on to Ji Hyo’s hands and use his forehead to touch Ji Hyo’s forehead so to measure her temperature.

“Oppa…” Ji Hyo blushed, pushing Gary away gently and pointing at Park Soo and Lee Nam Hee.

“Love is always a good medication. Ji Hyo Ssi was still feeling down just now after taking her medications. Now I see color on her face. That must be the power of love.” Secretary Nam Hee teased the couple.

“You know, I am a Running Man and Monday Couple fan. So is my daughter. You two get married!” Secretary Nam Hee laughed.

“Park Soo Ssi, Lee Nam Hee Ssi. Thank you for taking care of Ji Hyo. I do not want to take up too much of your time. I will take over from here.” Gary took the bowl of congee from Park Soo and forced him out of the apron.

“CEO Park, since Gary Ssi is here, I think he can take care of Ji Hyo Ssi. That means we do not need to cancel our dinner appointment with CEO Kim tonight?” Secretary Nam Hee asked.

Park Soo was rather lost at words. He did not anticipate that Gary will show up. Though Park Soo did know that Ji Hyo already has a boyfriend named Kang Gary but he had never meet this person face to face. He chose to ignore this fact.

“Park Soo Ssi and Secretary Lee, why not stay for a quick dinner? You both took the efforts to prepare the congee for me.” Ji Hyo walked over to Secretary Nam Hee, held her by her arms and invited them to stay.

“Ji Hyo Ssi, don’t worry about us. We still have another dinner appointment to follow up with.” Secretary Nam Hee patted Ji Hyo on the back of her palms.

“CEO Park, shall we get going?” Secretary Nam Hee asked.

“OK. Let’s get going. Ji Hyo, rest well. I will drop by to see you again tomorrow.” Park Soo wanted to put his hands on Ji Hyo’s shoulders to show her some affections. But the quick-witted Kang Gary had reached for Ji Hyo’s shoulders first.

“Park Soo Ssi, don’t worry.  I can take care of my Ji Hyo. You are a busy man. If you have no time, you can skip visiting Ji Hyo tomorrow. I will be around to take care of her.” By then Gary had already walked the 2 guests to the door.

“Thank you for taking care of me.” Ji Hyo bowed politely.


Seeing how natural and comfortable that Gary and Ji Hyo was with each other, Park Soo felt that he had lost the love battle. There was hesitation of whether he should continue to pursue on Ji Hyo.

“Perhaps is too early to give up.” Park Soo was in deep thoughts.

“CEO Park, are you OK?” Secretary Nam Hee asked.

“Yes, Secretary Lee, you were asking me something?” Park Soo walked out of his thoughts and try to pay attention to the agenda that Secretary Nam Hee was explaining.

“Secretary Lee, can I ask you a questions?” Park Soo said.

“Yes, CEO Park.” Secretary Nam Hee put the documents at one side, looking at Park Soo.

“What do you think of Kang Gary Ssi and Song Ji Hyo Ssi.” Park Soo asked tactfully.

“They are a match in heaven.” Secretary Nam Hee replied.

“You think so?” Park Soo felt jealous.

“CEO Park, I know that you like Ji Hyo Ssi. But your father will not accept her. She is just an actress. She does not have right upbringing nor good backgrounds to match up with your family’s expectations. Believe me, I had worked for your father for almost 20 years. I knew him.” Secretary Nam Hee said.

“Secretary Lee, you had my respect as a loyal employee to both my father and the company. But when it comes to love, I have my ways and my freedom. Thank you for the advice.” Park Soo tried to be polite but at the same time he also want to make it clear that no one can interfere with his love life.


Back in Ji Hyo’s apartment, Gary was hugging Ji Hyo as they sat down side by side on the sofa.

“Ji Hyo, I heard from the harassment from noona. Are you feeling OK? Any police reports made? Did that guy harass you again today?” Questions came non stop from Gary.

Ji Hyo shoved Gary’s hands off her. She was still feeling mad that Gary did not return her calls since yesterday.

“Kang Gary, Park Soo Oppa had already taken care of that guy. I had a fever this morning but am now feeling better. Park Soo Oppa came to take care of me, he fed me with the medications and he cooked congee for me. His congee is quite delicious. Oppa is a kind, caring and consideration gentleman. He was with me throughout the whole harassment incident. ” Ji Hyo intentionally addressed Park Soo as oppa. She was smiling sweetly when she talked about Park Soo.

Ji Hyo intentionally praised Park Soo in front of Gary to make him jealous. Being the straight forward and innocent Kang Gary. Gary immediately fell for Ji Hyo’s ‘trap’.

Though Gary is jealous, extremely jealous, he tried to control his emotions since he knew that he was at fault for not showering Ji Hyo with enough care. He should find out what happened to Ji Hyo before droving off immediately last night.

“I will clean up the dining table. You go and get some rest.” Peaceful Gary moved on to do the cleaning up.

Ji Hyo went back to her bedroom, cursing. “Stupid Kang Gary. Can’t he just show that he is jealous?” Ji Hyo threw a pillow on the floor.

“Yah! Song Ji Hyo. Park Soo Oppa, Park Soo Oppa. Stressed!” Gary kept mumbling while he washed the plates.

Gary went to Ji Hyo’s bedroom to check on her after he had a quick dinner of instant ramen and a shower. There were pillows on the floor. On his side of the bed, there were some teddy bears stacking. It was obvious that Ji Hyo did not want him to sleep besides her tonight.

Upon seeing that, Gary walked out of the bedroom angrily. He sat at the sofa, switched on the TV and glared at the TV.

Gary did not know what the drama was talking about. He just knew that he was angry, heat was boiling inside his head. He was dozing off when he heard a loud cry from Ji Hyo’s bedroom.

“Ji Hyo? Ji Hyo…” Gary dashed into the bedroom.

Ji Hyo was having a nightmare. She dreamt of men surrounding her, trying to harass her. She started to scream for help.

“Gary Oppa………” Ji Hyo screamed Gary’s name.

“Ji Hyo, Oppa is here. I am here.” Gary held on to Ji Hyo’s hands tightly. Ji Hyo sat up on her bed and buried her face into Gary’s chest. She clinged onto Gary’s shirt and started sobbing. That reminded Gary of what he saw last night night between Park Soo and Ji Hyo. Gary started to understand how Ji Hyo felt.

“Oppa, I had a nightmare. I am scared.” Ji Hyo kept sobbing. Gary wiped the tears on Ji Hyo cheeks with his thumb.

“Don’t be scare. Gary oppa is here.” Gary all the teddy bears to the floor.  “This side of the bed is MINE.” He glared at the teddy bears and said.

Ji Hyo broke into a smile when she heard that. “Oppa, you are jealous of the teddy bears?” Ji Hyo was laughing and crying at the same time.

“Yes, I am very jealous. I am jealous of the teddy bears. I am jealous of that Park Soo. I AM VERY JEALOUS. SONG Ji HYO, LISTEN. No man is allowed to be in this house when I am not around except for your family related members. “ Gary ‘warned’ Ji Hyo.

“And….address Park Soo as Park Soo Ssi. No oppas. And stop smiling sweetly at the mention of Park Soo’s name. You can only smile like that when my name is mentioned? Also, your forehead....your forehead...is MINE also. No one can kiss you there. No, I mean....no one can kiss you except me ....er...except when you are filming a drama, Araso?" Gary exploded with jealousy

Looking at how serious Gary looked when he made the statement. Ji Hyo couldn’t help laughing hard.

“I WIN.” Ji Hyo said.

“What?” Gary asked.

“I was trying to make you jealous. But I couldn't remember anyone kiss my forehead beisdes you.” Ji Hyo faced Gary who was already now lying besides Ji Hyo in bed.

“You are so childish, Song Ji Hyo. But I like it.” Gary smiled, palming Ji Hyo’s face in his hands.

“Kang Gary, you are childish too. You got jealous because of the teddy bears.” Ji Hyo pinched Gary’s face.

Soon the couple fell asleep. With Gary sleeping besides Ji Hyo, no more nightmares for Ji Hyo that night.