Stupid Kang Gary

Do you love me?

Gary has his mouth agape when he saw his mum and his girlfriend sitting at the dining table with a full spread of dishes waiting for him. Both the elderly and the young women were chatting harmoniously. There was a kind and amiable smile on Mrs Kang’s face while Ji Hyo’s face flashed with a glow of shyness.

“Umma…er…what….what….. is happening? You….you….you met Ji…..Ji….Ji Hyo?” Gary stammered his words with nervousness.

"Son, aren't you going to introduce this young lady to me formally?" Mrs Kang asked.

Gary blushed. "Umma, this is ....this is....my girlfriend, Song Ji Hyo ssi. Ji Hyo, my umma." Gary held on to Ji Hyo's hand while introducing the ladies to know each other.

“Son, why didn’t you bring Ji Hyo home to meet me and your father, and also your grandma. If I did not visit you today, I never get to know that you have such a pretty girlfriend.” Mrs Kang seems to be extremely satisfied with Ji Hyo.

“Every time when I visit you, I will either see Ha Dong or Gil walking around, or sleeping on the sofa and most of the times . I was so worried that one day you will tell me that you want to marry one of these guys.”

“Umma, please……don’t say that.” Gary felt so embarrassed, he kept shaking his mother’s arm.

“Haha and Gil Oppa, ? Walking around, sleeping on sofa? Wow, you guys are so open and wild.” Ji Hyo mocked at Gary .

“No no, Ji Hyo, my umma is just joking. Let’s start eating. You both must be hungry. These are all my favourite food. I am so hungry.” Gary tried to distract the 2 women from the topic about Gil and Haha.

“This western noodles (Bolognese pasta) is prepared by Ji Hyo, you should eat more and appreciate her efforts.” Mrs Kang scooped some Bolognese pasta on Gary’s plate.

“Ji Hyo, this is my best dish, Spicy Beef Stew. You should eat more.” Mrs Kang took the biggest piece of meat placing it on Ji Hyo’s plate.

“Thank you, Mrs Kang.” Ji Hyo bowed politely.

“Just addressed me as umma, like how Hee Gun would address me.” Mrs Kang said. Ji Hyo blushed upon hearing these words.

“Umma, where is my beef? You gave the biggest piece to Ji Hyo, how about me? I am your son, you know?” Gary tried to act cute in front of his mum. Both Mrs Kang and Ji Hyo laughed at Gary’s childishness.

The dinner was happy and joyous. Mrs Kang and Ji Hyo seemed to get along very well. They kept chatting about Gary’s childhood. Mrs Kang revealed some of the funny moments of Gary as a child. Though Gary felt embarrassed with some of the topics, he was happy that Mrs Kang likes Ji Hyo so much and Ji Hyo was able to win the heart of his mother.

“So when you two are getting married?” Mrs Kang asked while they were having a cup of hot tea after dinner.

“Marriage?” Gary choked on his cup of tea upon hearing the word.

“Umma, we have never thought of marriage. We are not at that stage yet. No plans to get married. I still want my freedom.” Though the idea of marriage had ever crossed Gary’s mind, he was still not too sure if this is what he wants.

“What? Hee Gun, how could you say that. You and Ji Hyo are already staying together.” Mrs Kang was shocked  to hear that from Gary.

“Anyo, Umma, Ji Hyo is only staying with me for 1 week since she is having a break. She will move back to her apartment next week. We are not cohabitating. Not like what you are thinking. Ji Hyo has many choices, she may not even choose me. ” Gary quickly explained to Mrs Kang, at the same time mocking at himself. There was a slight disappointment on Mrs Kang’s face.

“Yah! Kang Gary, do you need to react that way when you heard the word marriage?” Ji Hyo kept silent as Gary explained to Mrs Kang but she was cursing in her heart.

“Kang Gary, what am I to you? What do you mean I have many choices and may not even choose you. Am I that easy with men?” Ji Hyo asked in heart bitterly, biting her lips. She felt hurt by Gary’s words.


Peaceful Gary was in deep sleep with a silly smile on his face but Ji Hyo was flipping and turning on the bed that night. On one hand, she was excited to meet Gary’s mum and that she had left a good impression for Mrs Kang. On the other hand, she was confused on Gary’s strong reaction when Mrs Kang raised the issue of marriage. Of course, she wasn't too happy about Gary's joke on her choices with men.

“Perhaps, Oppa has never thought of family and marriage at all. He did mention that he wants to stay single in one of the RM filmings.” Ji Hyo get up from bed, went to the kitchen to get a glass of water. She stood near the windows, feeling the evening breeze of the starry night.

“Yobo, why are you not sleeping? It felt so empty when you were not there for me to hug.” Ji Hyo didn’t noticed that Gary has waken up too until she felt someone hugging her from the back.

Gary wrapped his arms around Ji Hyo’s waist and rested his head on her shoulders.

“Is my umma the reason why you can’t sleep tonight?” Gary asked as he turned and planted a kiss on Ji Hyo neck, at the same time inhaling the lovely scent from Ji Hyo’s hair.

“Anyo. Not at all. Mrs Kang is very kind. She reminds me of my own mother.” Ji Hyo said sincerely.

“Wow, someone already wanted to see my mum as her mum.” Gary teased Ji Hyo, holding her closer and tighter.

“So what is bothering you? You are jealous about Ha Ha and Gil? You can also walk around my house . I don’t mind.” Gary whispered the words “” and “ I don’t mind” softly and seductively at Ji Hyo’s ears.

“ert!” Ji Hyo turned around and hit Gary on his head.

“Song Ji Hyo. I am only joking. There is no need to over react. Ouch, my head hurts.” Gary hold on to his head and pretend to whine.

“Stupid Kang Gary. You and your stupid sense of humour!” Ji Hyo pushed Gary away, she walked off to the guest room angrily. “He did not even know what is bothering me. Stupid, stupid Kang Gary.”

It was then that Gary realized that something was not right. He quickly followed Ji Hyo to the guest room. But Ji Hyo closed and locked the door, forbidding Gary to come in.

“Sleep alone tonight. Stupid Kang Gary.” Ji Hyo hit the mattress in the guest room and pulled the covers over her head.

Gary did have the keys to the guest room. But without the knowing the reason why Ji Hyo was angry, he dared not unlock the door to the room. It was now Gary’s turn to flipped and the bed.

“Stressed! Woman! What did I do wrong? Tonight was a happy night, wasn't it?” Gary tried to figure out what had gone wrong, but failed. Slowly, he dozed off and fell into dreamland.


“Oppa, you looked like a panda. No, you looked more like a zombie.” Jung In commented as she watched Gary stuffing himself with the hotcakes, muffins and harsh browns that his assistant got from the fast food chain store.

“Ji Hyo Unnie didn’t make breakfast for you? Or you are sick of her cooking already?” Jung In laughed.

“Sigh…..” Gary put down the muffin and stared at the table. Ji Hyo wasn’t in the guest room this morning when Gary wakes up and there was no breakfast.

Gary quickly checked on Ji Hyo’s overnight bag, he was glad that the bag was still sitting in his bedroom. He also found Ji Hyo’s clothes still hanging in the shower room. So, somehow he was sure that Ji Hyo did not move back to her own apartment though he still couldn’t figure out what happened.

“Oh, Oppa. Something is wrong with you and Ji Hyo unnie?” Jung In asked.

“Kang Gary, you made your girlfriend angry?” Gil also walked into the studio and gave Gary a pat on his shoulders.

“I don’t know. I don’t know what went wrong. Ji Hyo gets along very well with my mum last night. My mum even asked me when we are getting married. Then at night, she got angry. She kept scolding me Stupid Kang Gary.” Gary poured out all his bitter water to Jung In and Gil.

“Wow, Ji Hyo met your mum?  Daekbak! “ Gil stood up and clapped.

“So when you guys are getting married.” Gil continued to ask.

“No, we are not getting married. No plans.” Gary answered while checking his phone, he was hesitating if he should call Ji Hyo.

“Oppa, so you said the same things about no plans to get married to your mum? Was Ji Hyo unnie there when you said these?” Jung In asked.

“Yes, she was there.” Gary kept swapping the screen of his phone.

“Oppa, I know why Ji Hyo unnie scolded you as Stupid. You did not even realized what you had said.” Jung In raised his voice.

Gary suddenly removed his gaze from the phone and stare at Jung In. “You mean Ji Hyo is angry because I said no plans to get married?” Gary tried hard to remember what he said about marriage last night.

“ I thought these were causal comments. Ji Hyo also said that she enjoy being single.” Gary said.

“Women’s thoughts changed when they met the person they love. And did you ever ask unnie how she feels about marriage before answering your mum?” Jung In tried to explain.

Gary slowly recalled their conversation about marriage last night.

“! I even commented that Ji Hyo has many choices with men and may not choose me as her husband. Yah! Stupid Kang Gary. It meant to be a joke, but I think I may had hurt Ji Hyo’s feelings.” Gary suddenly woke up from his confusions.

STUPID KANG GARY!” Both Gil and Jung In chorus the words, scolding Gary of what he thought was his sense of humor.

Gary rushed home early that evening. Ji Hyo wasn’t at home. The laundry hanging in the shower room was gone. Ji Hyo’s overnight bag was not in the bedroom anymore. Gary started to panic. He quickly called Ji Hyo on her mobile. No one picked up. He tried texting her, no responses either.

Left with no other choices, Gary started calling the RM members. These are the common friends they had. No one knew where is Ji Hyo. Gary called Ji Hyo’s manger unnie.

“Isn’t Ji Hyo staying with you for this week?” was all that Gary got from her manager. Gary wanted to check with Ji Hyo's other friends on her whereabouts. However, he realised that besides the RM family, he knew none of Ji Hyo's other friends. But Ji Hyo always knew who are his buddies, and who was the one who send him home when he was drunk.

“I never realised that I knew so little about my girlfriend. Stressed! Where are you, Ji Hyo? Me and my stupid sense of humor.” Gary hit himself against the wall.