Running away

Do you love me?

Gary brought breakfast to Ji Hyo’s place the next morning but he came to an empty apartment, Ji Hyo was not at home. Gary tried to call Ji Hyo but no one pick up the calls.

“Noona, this is Gary. Is Ji Hyo with you?” Gary decided to call Ji Hyo’s manager.

“Ji Hyo? She went back to her hometown. She will be staying with her parents this week. She did not inform you?” Ji Hyo’s manager replied.

“Hometown? She went back on her own? Is it OK for her to go back alone?” Gary got worried. Ever since Ji Hyo’s miscarriage, Gary always felt that Ji Hyo’s health was not as good as it used to be.

“She will be OK. Ji Hyo is an adult, she knows how to take care of herself. Gary Ssi, I need to hang up.” Ji Hyo’s manager was in the midst of a radio show with her new artists.

“Unnie, do you have the address….” Gary was cut off.

“Sigh….what do I do with all these food? These are all Ji Hyo’s favourite. This child, she should have called me if she wants to go back to meet her parents. I can take a day off to drive her back and at the same time, I can meet her parents.” Though Ji Hyo and Gary had been dating for almost a year, Gary had never meet Ji Hyo’s parents before.

Ji Hyo had ever invited Gary to go back to her hometown with her, but Gary somehow always missed the chance. It was either he was busy with his pub performance or he already promised his mum to bring Ji Hyo back to his hometown for the weekend instead. Of course, sometimes buddies come first before Ji Hyo. As much as possible, Ji Hyo always accommodate to Gary’s plan. Usually, she went back to her hometown on her own.


Gary went back to the studio. Gil and Jung In were crowding around at the table, laughing away.

“What’s up?” Gary asked.

“Kang Gary, I really envy you.” Gil pointed at a cake box. “The restaurant staff brought these up to the office this morning. They said Ji Hyo came last night and left these at the counter.” Gil passed the cake box and a diary wrapped with a black leather cover to Gary.

“That box…cup cakes….looks very pretty….I bet they taste good also. I think Ji Hyo bake these.” Gil said as Gary opened the cake box. There was a note in the box.

“Gary Oppa, I bake these. Hope you like them. Love, Ji Hyo.” Gary couldn’t stop smiling as he sees these.

“There were 5 cup cakes. Kang Gary, aren’t you going to share them with us?” Gil asked.

“One for breakfast each day?” Gary thought. Since Ji Hyo will be staying at her parent’s place for 5 days.

“You are not sharing these with us?” Gil asked again.

“NOPE!” Gary closed the cake box and brought it with him into his office.

“SO….SO…petty. Yah…Kang Gary.” Gil shouted behind Gary’s back.

“Oppa, don’t forget the diary.” Jung In reminded.

“Jung In, thank you. Bro, get yourself a girlfriend and asked her to bake you some cup cakes.” Gary turned around, teasing Gil.

Gary sat down at his desk. He opened the diary, that was the Book of Song Ji Hyo. The cup cakes had indeed brought him some inspirations.

Pretty cupcakes

I knew you. You never knew how to cook, you never knew how to bake.

For me, you bake these pretty cupcakes

Pretty cupcakes

I want to bring you and these cupcakes for a picnic

A picnic at the Han river

Sitting side by side, eating these cupcakes and enjoying the river flows, the sunshine and the summer breeze

Gary was satisfied with his works. He was about to pen off when he noticed that there was a page in the diary, dog-eared. He flipped to the page. As his eyes sweep through the page, his heart stopped.

This was the page that was written near the hospital café after he overheard the conversation about Ji Hyo’s miscarriage with her manager.

We lost our baby.

We cried. We mourned.  We grieve.

We sobbed. We weep. We wailed.

How could she know that she was not pregnant? Unnie was right, that’s her body. Even my mum noticed that she is not right and told her that she is pregnant. Why didn’t she listen, why didn’t she tell me about it? The doctor’s report……I am totally confused.

Gary oppa, I am sorry. I lost the baby. I promised, I never lied about the baby but I can’t help it if you don’t trust me. If there isn’t trust in a relationship, there isn’t love. If there isn’t love and trust in a relationship, what is left?

Oppa, I think is time for us to take a break from our relationship. Let’s take a step backwards. Let’s think about what is best for the both of us.

I know marriage isn’t but remaining as friends may be a better way out for our love.

Love, Ji Hyo  From : Ji Hyo

“Ji……Ji….Ji Hyo.” Gary almost shouted. “She must have also overheard my conversation with Haha and Kwang Soo last night.”

“Ji Hyo…I can explain.” Gary started to mumble to himself. He reached for his mobile phone with his hands shaking.

“Unnie, please give me the address of Ji Hyo’s parents. Please….” Gary begged in the phone.


Gary spent one day driving around Ji Hyo’s home town but he failed to find the address provided by Ji Hyo’s manager.

“Gary Ssi. I am not too sure if this is the correct address. I remembered Ji Hyo mentioned that her parents had moved to the new house Ji Hyo bought for the family. But I don’t think I have that new address. Her record in the company’s database was just the address she has in Seoul. Perhaps you can ask the neighbours at the old address.” Manager unnie tried her best to help Gary. She herself was surprised that Ji Hyo initiated a breakup with Gary.

“She was happily baking the cupcakes for you yesterday and suddenly a breakup?” manager unnie questioned.

“Gary Ssi, don’t worry. She has to come back next week. Though there is no RM filming (RM was rescheduled so that Ji Hyo can have more time to rest), she has to attend an award giving ceremony. So she has to come back.” Manager unnie explained.

“Award giving ceremony? Unnie, you mean that advertising awards? Jung In and I were invited to perform on the show. “ Gary decided to wait patiently for Ji Hyo to come back.

“Song Ji Hyo, don't you dare to run away from me.” Gary planted a kiss on a photo of Ji Hyo that was placed on his working desk.


5 days were like 5 months for Gary. Gary waited impatiently at the back stage of the Korea Advertising  Award ceremony. He walked through the rundown and knew that Ji Hyo is one of the VIP guests. She will be giving out the best advertising model award.

As he was pacing up and down at the back stage, Jung In caught him by his arm.

“Oppa, unnie is here. Unnie is here. She looks so beautiful and elegant.” Gary couldn’t take his eyes off Ji Hyo.

Ji Hyo looked stunning in a black lace sheath mermaid evening dress. Her makeup was not too heavy but yet enough to bring out her pretty features. The color of the dress brought out the radiance and smoothness of her complexion and her skin. The cutting of the dress brought out her curves. Gary had this desire to ran to Ji Hyo, pulled her into his embrace and kissed her strongly on her red lips.

Ji Hyo came through the back stage with her manager, and she was holding the arm of a man who was smartly dressed in a Hermes suit.

“That is Park Soo. I saw his picture on a magazine before. He is one of noona Ji Hyo’s sponors.” Gary’s assistant Sam whispered to Gary.

Gary suddenly felt so small in front of Ji Hyo. He suddenly felt like running away.