We lost our baby

Do you love me?

Gary buried his face into his hands. The next minute he stood up and started to pace up and down the corridor outside the surgery room. Another minute, he leaned himself against the door of the surgery room. His eyes were filled with worries and concerns.  Ji Hyo was in the surgery room since 2 hours ago.

“Hyung, just sit down, I am sure Ji Hyo will be fine.” Haha tried to offer comfort to his hyung by placing his hands on his shoulders.

“Gary ah….have a hot drink. This will calm you now.” Jae Suk came back with PD with coffee and sandwiches.

“Hyung, I can’t. My hands are trembling. I don’t think I can even hold a cup of coffee.” Gary replied. He sat down and buried his face into his hands again.

Ji Hyo finally came out from the surgery room after 2.5 hrs. These 2.5 were enough to send Gary into desperation.  Gary desperately wanted check on Ji Hyo but he was blocked by the nurses.

“She needs to rest now. We will inform you the ward number after the doctor had spoken to the family.” One of the nurses told Gary.

“Family of Cheon Seong-im.” Another nurse called. The running man family including Kwang Soo, Jong Kok and Suk Jin who had just arrived at the hospital all crowd around the nurse.

“Doctor would like to talk to family. Which one of you is family.” The nurse asked.

“We are all family.” The RM members chorused.

“OK, 1 or 2 of you can follow me to the doctor’s room. The rest of you can follow my other colleague to register for Cheon Seong-im’s warding.”

“Jae Suk hyung.” Gary looked at Jae Suk. Jae Suk immediately put a hand around Gary’s shoulder and walked with him to the doctor’s room.

“She is 3.5 weeks pregnant. Don’t you as family know about that?” The doctor challenged Gary and Jae Suk.

“I….I….I really did not know.” Gary was totally blank when he heard about the news.

“The baby…how about the baby.” Seeing Gary in this stage, Jae Suk posted the question.

“I am sorry. But we had tried our best to save the baby. Have a good talk with the mother. Take good care of her. She has a strong body, and should be recovering in no time. She is in Ward 23.” The doctor bowed.

Gary almost fell off the chair when he heard this. His heart twisted, his mind was blank. The world seems to be spinning.

“Gary….be careful.” Jae Suk quickly held on to Gary’s back.

“Gary ah….be strong. Ji Hyo needs you now. Go, go now, go to her now.” Jae Suk helped Gary to stand still after he got up from the chair.

As Gary came out from the doctor’s room, tears started rolling off his cheeks.” He started running. He run as fast as he could. He wanted to be with Ji Hyo now, he wanted to hug her in his arms, to comfort himself and to comfort the woman he loved.

Ji Hyo was half asleep and half awake. But seems she already knew what happened.

Ji Hyo’s manager unnie was holding onto her hands while Ji Hyo was sobbing quietly. She was so weak that there wasn’t even a sound from her while she was sobbing. Endless streams of tears just kept soaking into the pillow.

Haha and Kwang Soo who can’t hold their tears either, they were crying at the corner of the ward.

“This is all my fault.” Suk Jin blamed himself. “If I am a stronger partner, Ji Hyo will not have to do all the missions on her own. And she will not…..” Suk Jin took off her glasses to wipe the tears from his eyes.

Ji Hyo looked at Suk Jin with eyes half opened and shook her head, signalling that is not his fault.

“Hyung, is not your fault.” Jong Kok patted Suk Jin’s back.

Gary walked into the ward towards Ji Hyo’s bed. He used his thumb to wipe away her tears.

“Oppa, I lost our baby.” Ji Hyo said weakly. “Oppa, I am sorry.”

“No, honey. Don’t blame yourself.” Gary leaned forward and planted a kiss on Ji Hyo’s forehead.

“Gary, you are the father?” Jong Kok, Kwang Soo and Suk Jin were shocked. They were the ones who are still unaware that the Monday couple is actually dating in real life.


Ji Hyo needed a good rest in the hospital. She has requested all the RM members including Gary to go home for a rest.

Gary threw himself onto bed after a hot shower. As he stared at the ceiling, he started to recall that Ji Hyo was complaining to him 2 weeks ago that she wasn’t feeling good.

Ji Hyo's favourite food was stew beef. But for the past 2 weeks, she threw out once she got the scent of beef stew around her. She couldn’t even bring the meat to . She always have this craving for cakes. Gary has to always bring back a slice or 2 for her. When he forgets, Ji Hyo lost her temper, stormed into the bedroom and started crying.

“What’s wrong with her? Her temper was not that bad last time.” Gary would complained to Gil and Haha.

Ji Hyo has been sleeping a lot lately. She slept at 11 pm at night and only wake up like 10 or 11 am the next morning. At times, when Gary wanted Ji Hyo to fulfill his lust, Ji Hyo just pushed him off the bed saying that she is tired and need to sleep.

“Stressed! Why am I so careless? I should have noticed her change in behaviour and cravings. I am such an inconsiderate boyfriend.” Gary hit the pillow. He buried his face into the pillow and started sobbing.


Gary woke up the next morning as he felt that someone was caressing his face. It was Mrs Kang. Mrs Kang has dropped by to see how Gary was doing but found him crying in his sleep.

“Son, you look so sad. What happened?” Mrs Kang was worried.

“Omma….”Gary couldn’t hold in anymore. He needed someone’s shoulder to cry on. He leaned himself against his mother’s shoulder and started sobbing while telling her how Ji Hyo and him had lost their baby.

“Oh god. How could this happen? Last week when she was having dinner at our place, I saw her throwing up at the toilet. I suspected that she is pregnant and had urged her to see the doctor. She did not seek for the doctor’s advice?” Mrs Kang was totally upset.

 “Omma, what do you mean?” Gary asked.

“Ji Hyo was throwing up at the toilet after dinner. I thought there was some problems with my cooking. But Ji Hyo said that this is going on for almost a week. I asked her if her period comes. She said she is not due yet and still waiting. The next minute she asked for something sour to ease her nauseous. So I suspected that she is pregnant and urge her to see the doctor.” Mrs Kang continued to explain.

“Omma, why didn’t you tell me about it?” Gary’s heart twisted again when he heard this.

“Ji Hyo says she didn’t want to bother you. She don’t think she is pregnant since she is on pills and you are on protection. You know, when I heard that she is on pills, I was really upset and couldn’t sleep that night. I was hoping that the two of you can get married soon and give me a grandchild.” Mrs Kang sighed.

Gary and Mrs Kang visited Ji Hyo at the hospital. Ji Hyo was in deep sleep when they arrived.

“Gary ar…..get married with Ji Hyo soon and try for a baby again. You know, you two are not young anymore.” Mrs Kang nagged at Gary when Gary drove her to the bus station.

“Arasso omma. Let’s wait for Ji Hyo to recover. What is more important now is Ji Hyo’s health.” Gary bowed at her mum and hugged his mum, grateful that she came in the right time to give him the moral support that he needed.


“Ji Hyo, are you sure?” It was manger unnie’s voice.

“Unnie, believe me. I am sure. This is what the nurse told me. Why is the doctor now saying something different?” It was Ji Hyo’s voice. Her voice was cracking, she was at the edge of bursting into tears.

“Where is the first report which says that you are not pregnant?” Manager unnie asked.

“I don’t know. I think I lost it on the taxi which fetched me back from the clinic to Gary’s oppa apartment.” Ji Hyo said.

“Unnie, how could this happened? They told me I am not pregnant.” Ji Hyo cried.

“But Ji Hyo, the nurse said that you walked off without collecting the test report. She said the doctor wanted to explain to you about your test report and wanted to tell you that you are pregnant. But you walked off after picking up a call. The nurse even said she heard you saying something about the baby is a burden.” Manager unnie tried as much as possible to relate to Ji Hyo on what she had found out from the clinic.

“No….this is not the truth!” Ji Hyo screamed.

Ji Hyo had instructed her manager unnie to go back to the clinic she visited when she suspected that she is pregnant. It was the nurse who told her that she was NOT pregnant and that’s why she decided to proceed with the RM filming on the following Monday. She wanted to know why she has lost her baby when her pregnancy test was negative a week ago.

But instead, she got a totally different story from her manager unnie after unnie visited the clinic to find out more.

“Perhaps they are just trying to push the blame away? Ji Hyo, you lost the first report which says that you are not pregnant. How could we justify anything? Also, your body is yours. How could you not know that you are pregnant? Your cravings are different, you experienced morning sickness, your period did not come. ” Manager unnie sighed.

“Unnie, stop it!” Ji Hyo pulled a blanket over her head and sobbed.

“Ji Hyo…Ji Hyo…I am sorry.” Manager Unnie suddenly realized that she was talking too much and had hurt Ji Hyo’s feelings.

Gary was standing outside the ward throughout the whole conversation. His mind was blank.  He couldn’t figure out what to do.

He left the ward, found a small café not far from the hospital. He sat down, ordered an Americano and stared at windows that were reflecting the afternoon sun.

He took out his book of Song Ji Hyo, flipped to an empty page and started writing.

We lost our baby.

We cried. We mourned.  We grieved.

We sobbed. We weep. We wailed.

How could she know that she was not pregnant? Unnie was right, that’s her body. Even my mum noticed that she is not right and told her that she is pregnant. Why didn’t she listen, why didn’t she tell me about it? The doctor’s report……I am totally confused.

Gary lifted his head and watched the passersby. He went back to the page again, use his pen and crossed out the last paragraph. A message came in, it was Ji Hyo.

Ji Hyo, 1:36 pm, “Oppa, where are you? Will you visit me today? Are you still mad at me for losing the baby?”

Gary put the phone back into his backpack, finished up his coffee. He strolled down the streets and found a florist. He picked up a dozen of roses and walked back to the hospital.

“Ji Hyo, I am coming.” He replied  to Ji Hyo’s text.