Contradicting Goals

Do you love me?

“Oppa, shall we get married?” Ji Hyo asked. The proposal came from Ji Hyo 2 weeks after the harassment incident.

Ji Hyo was munching her breakfast when the proposal popped up. Her eyes weren’t looking at Gary. She kept munching on her sandwich, bit after bit, trying to act normal but her blushing face has betrayed her.

Gary was picking up the sauage rolls from the plate when he heard the words of shall we get married. He dropped the sauage rolls, his mouth was left agaped. He stared hard at Ji Hyo.

Gary was totally stunned by Ji Hyo’s boldness. He had never expect Ji Hyo to raise the question of marriage. This was unusual in Korea. As nation which very much following and respecting the traditions, is unusual for a woman to propose a marriage.

“Oppa, after the harassment incident, I felt that I really need a dependable shoulder for me to rely on. I need someone to console me when I am down, I need someone to kiss my tears dry when I am crying. I need someone to take care of me when I am sick. I wanted someone to dote on me, someone who is reliable. I have been looking for this someone for a long long time. And….finally I think I found that someone.” Ji Hyo looked at Gary, pouring out all the feelings that she had been pressing down for the past 2 weeks.

Gary looked nervous upon hearing these from Ji Hyo. This is the first time that a girl had proposed a marriage to him. And the most important thing here was that, the marriage proposal was from someone he loves.

Sweat started to gather at his forehead, his palms became sweaty. His heart raced and leaped like a deer running in the jungles.

“I think I found that someone……” Ji Hyo continued. “His name is Kang Hee Gun.” Ji Hyo’s face was blushing like a red apple as she mentioned Gary’s name.

Gary felt that his heart almost stopped when he heard his name. There was silence for minutes. 

“Oppa….say something.” Ji Hyo finally break the ice. There was disappointment on her face. Ji Hyo was expecting an immediate YES from Gary but instead Gary just kept silence after hearing her marriage proposal.

“Ji….Ji…Hyo….I….I…don’t know what to say.” Gary was trying to be honest. This was really something that was out of expectation.

“Are…are….are you pregnant?” Gary asked. His voice trailing off when the word pregnant was mentioned.

Ji Hyo’s expression started to change. She was shy when she first brought up the issue of marriage. When Gary was not giving her the response that she has expected, she was embarrassed. She got slightly frustrated when she was the one who opened first to break the silence. And now, Gary asking if she is pregnant. This feeling of marriage only upon pregnant idea crept into her mind. She got mad. It took her much courage to propose to a guy and now she sort of regretted her actions.

“Kang Gary, forget what I had said. Just take it as a joke.” Ji Hyo threw her half bitten sandwich on the plate. She stormed her way back into the bedroom, slamming the door behind her.

It was like someone had slapped Gary on his face when the door of Ji Hyo’s bedroom was closed and slammed. Gary suddenly woke up from his daze.

“Ji Hyo, open up.” Gary knocked on the door of Ji Hyo’s bedroom. The door was locked. He had no access to the room.

“Ji Hyo, I am sorry. Don’t be mad. It was just too sudden. I didn’t know how to react.” Gary tried to explain.

“Oppa, go away. I need to cool down my temper.” Ji Hyo shouted from behind the door.

“Kang Gary, you are always good at messing up things.” Gary blamed himself.


The issue of marriage was brought up again from time to time by Ji Hyo or even Gary’s family. Every time Gary joked it off saying he is not financially stable to start a family or he was too busy with his album or his Asia showcase. Whenever the issue of marriage is brought up, Gary and Ji Hyo ended in a fight.

Gary does love Ji Hyo but he was indeed not ready to be a family man yet. To Gary, turning himself into a family man means no clubbing, no drinking, no buddies. The focus on family life instead of his personal space, seem to mean no freedom for him.

Gary did ask Haha why he has the courage to jump into marriage initially.

“Hyung, the romantic answer was…..I love her. The practical reply was….she is pregnant. I need to be responsible for both the woman I love and our child. As simple as that.” Haha explained.

“Yes, perhaps the wedding bells should only ring when Ji Hyo gets pregnant.” Gary thought to himself. But Gary knows Ji Hyo too well. If he was to tell Ji Hyo this, Ji Hyo will sure get mad at him. And once again, they will end up in a fight.


Ji Hyo was sobbing alone in her bedroom.

Gary and Ji Hyo just came back from one of those family gathering with Gary’s family. Gary’s mother had again brought up the issue of marriage to both his son and Ji Hyo.

Flashback

“Son, don’t you think is time for us to meet up?” Mrs Kang asked while preparing dinner in the kitchen. Gary was helping his mother to wash the vegetables.

“Omma, meet up with who?” Gary asked.

“Ji Hyo’s parents. Who else?” Mrs Kang glared at her son.

“Er….Omma…I don’t think is the right time yet.” Gary immediately knew that it was about the topic of marriage when Mrs Kang raised the request of meeting Ji Hyo’s parents.

“Son, give me another answer. You know this is not what I want to hear.” Mrs Kang stopped chopping the meat and looked at Gary.

“Omma, why are you forcing me into starting a family when I am not even ready? Even Ji Hyo is also doing the same thing. She asked about when I plan to marry her every now and then. Stress!” Gary started to complain.

“Kang Hee Gun. You have been dating Ji Hyo for more than 2 years by now. Don’t you think is time for you to plan about your future? Ji Hyo is not young anymore. Spare a thought for her, she will have problems getting pregnant if she is too old.” Mrs Kang explained her concerns to Gary.

“We can always go without kids.” Gary whispered. But he dare not let his mother hear his inner thoughts as he was sure that his omma will ‘chop’ his head off.

“Son….so…..when we can meet up with Ji Hyo’s……” Before Mrs Kang can finish her sentence, Gary ran out of the kitchen giving the excuse that he need to setup the dining table.

Ji Hyo who was standing behind the kitchen door all this while heard the conversation. Again, disappointed was written all over her face.

End of flashback

Ji Hyo dried her tears with her sleeves. She suddenly felt that there was a big, wide gap between Gary and herself. She couldn't picture herself walking down the carpets in the church with Gary. She couldn’t picture herself strolling in the park with Gary and their kids. She couldn’t picture herself growing old with Gary. The visions of the future, a future that belongs to Kang Gary and Song Ji Hyo just vanished infront of Ji Hyo's eyes.

Ji Hyo realized that Gary and herself were actually working towards a different goal.

“Oppa wanted freedom. I wanted a family life. Both goals contradicts.” Ji Hyo’s eyes started to turn red as these thoughts came across her mind. These thoughts came and stayed in Ji Hyo's mind, not willing to leave, not willing to leave Ji Hyo alone..........


Gary couldn’t believe what he just read from the text messages that Ji Hyo had just send him. His expression froze but yet his heart was beating fast, so fast that he thought that his heart will stop any minute and he will be announced dead any time.

Ji Hyo, 10:30 am : Kang Gary, I wanted a breakup. I realized that our goals were so different and so contradicting . There is a huge gap between us. It makes no sense to continue our relationship. Let’s call it a quit.