Emptiness

Do you love me?

Gary parked his car on the street opposite Ji Hyo’s apartment. Gary was not a stranger to Ji Hyo’s apartment as he had always send Ji Hyo home after the Running Man filming. At times, Ji Hyo will invite Gary to have coffee at her place, and they will spend hours chatting and sharing their life experiences.

When Gary was in Shanghai last year for Running Man Fan meeting, he exchanged his Leessang cap with one of the fans who were wearing a red Cat cap with 2 ‘cat ears’ attached to the cap. Gary thought that the cap was cute, it suited Ji Hyo as the Cat character in RM. After Gary passed the cap to Ji Hyo, Ji Hyo hanged it at her balcony. This secret ‘landmark’ helped Gary to identify easily which unit belongs to Ji Hyo.


Ji Hyo finished her shower. She wiped her tears dry in the shower room, and felt better after the hot and refreshing shower.

“Song Ji Hyo, sleep tight. You need positive energy for tomorrow’s filming.” Ji Hyo told herself with a smile. She switched off the bedroom lights and hugged tightly to her other pillow which was wrapped in a Leessang T-shirt.  Ji Hyo couldn’t remember when she has started to wrap a Leessang T-shirt around her pillow. Maybe it was after her breakup with her CEO boyfriend. Whenever she felt upset or down in spirits or there was emptiness in her heart, she felt better with a Leessang T-shirt around her. She felt a sense of security.


Gary stared at Ji Hyo’s apartment, he had hesitations of if he should knock on Ji Hyo’s door to check on her. At the same moment, Gary’s phone beeps with a message.

11:30 pm, from Shin Jin : Oppa, are you done with your urgent matters? Shall I wait for you at our meeting place?”

Gary suddenly felt guilty. “Stressed! Kang Gary, she is just your on screen girlfriend. Why do you care so much about her? You are a bad guy, what are you doing behind your girlfriend’s back?”

Gary looked up at Ji Hyo’s apartment again, the lights were off.

“Ji Hyo will fell asleep very fast.” Gary mumbled to himself. At the same time, he replied to Shin Jin’s message.

11:33 pm, To Shin Jin : I am on my way home. No need to wait for me. Sleep well. Good night. I will see you on another day.

Gary reached home finding Shin Jin leaning against the walls of his lift lobby.

“Oppa, you are back!” Shin Jin ran towards Gary and hugged him tightly.

“Shin Jin, why aren’t you going home to rest? The night is getting late.” Gary patted Shin Jin’s back gently.

“Oppa, can I spend the night at your place? I miss you so much.” Shin Jin lifted her head, kissed Gary on his lips. She put her hands on Gary’s chest, attempting to his shirt.

“Er….Shin Jin. Oppa is tired tonight.” Gary pushed Shin Jin’s hands off him. “Oppa will send you home.”


“I don’t understand. Ever since that night that we were drunk, Gary Oppa had never touched me again. Only occasionally that he will give me a good bye kiss on my cheek. I am his girlfriend. Why he never want to touch me.” Shin Jin was complaining to her good friend, Simon D, while drinking at a pub.

Shin Jin was frustrated with the slow progress in the relationship between herself and Gary. She invited Simon D for a drink at the pub after Gary send her home and bid goodbye to her at the car park of her apartment.

“He did not even bother to send me to the door. Am I not attractive enough for Gary Oppa?” Shin Jin drowned herself with glasses of red wine and jugs of beer.

“Shin Jin….don’t drink so much. Shall I call Gary hyung to send you home?” Simon D asked while trying to snatch the glass of red wine from Shin Jin’s hands.

“No no. Oppa thought I had already reached home and asleep like a good girl. I don’t want him to see me drowning myself with alcohol. Simon, do you think you can help me to spy on Oppa? Help me to find out if he has someone else. “ Shin Jin fell back on the sofa, kicked her high heels off and fell asleep.

“Shin Jin ar….I already warned you that it is not easy to win Gary hyung’s heart. Why are you still so stubborn?” Simon D sighed. “Maybe hyung is still in love with Ji Hyo noona.”

Simon D still remembered how drunken Gary got when Ji Hyo’s agency released a press statement confirming Ji Hyo’s relationship with her CEO. All Gary’s buddies could sense the sadness in his eyes though Gary looked peaceful from the outside. When Ji Hyo mentioned her breakup with her CEO boyfriend, Gary got himself drunk also, but this time with happiness sparked in his eyes.

“Maybe I can talk to hyung about Shin Jin.” Simon D dialed Gary’s mobile number. Unfortunately no one picked up the call.


Gary was watching the replay of “Emergency couple” on TV. He smiled as he saw Ji Hyo appearing on TV. He pouted his lips when there were kissing scenes between Ji Hyo and Choi Jin hyuk . He slowly fell asleep as he watched the replay, the feeling of emptiness filled his heart.