[Drabble] untitled3

Full Circle

 

"Eottokaji?" Jaehwan said, staring at the miniature painting on the wall that hung above his bed. He huffed and fell back on the bed, raising his feet and flailing and sitting up again. He stared at the painting. Moreso at the signature of the painter on the bottom right corner as opposed to the flowers that were the subject of it. "Eottokhae" he whined before falling flat on his back and repeating the process.

"Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah" he screamed, causing Sanghyuk to finally snap. He had watched his hyung flail over and over since earlier this evening and it was starting to get to him. Trying to ask him about the reason would only trigger a new round with greater intensity and he had learnt this the hard way. But the current level was getting hard to ignore.

"Hyung!" he protested and Jaehwan turned to look at him. "Sanghyuk-ah. I have a question for you" Jaehwan told him. "What is it?" Sanghyuk asked. "What does it mean - Not that it has to mean something - But if it did - Suppose it does, what would it mean if someone said they liked your eyes?" he asked the younger boy. "Your.... eyes? Did you receive a confession or something?" Sanghyuk joked.

"No! No no no no no" Jaehwan denied with extra force. "I was simply asking" he trailed off, flopping on the bed and burying his head in the pillow. "Did Haneul say she likes your eyes?" Sanghyuk asked with a smug grin. He poked Jaehwan who just groaned and rolled over to the other side. "So she did say it!" Sanghyuk explained. 

"No! I mean she didn't it first. Neither did she confess. I mean it was normal speech. You know? Like verb object subject" Jaehwan told him, sitting up straight. "First of all, in Korean the order is subject-object-verb. And second why was she talking about your eyes?" Sanghyuk asked. "Iaskedherwhatherfavouritethingaboutmewas" Jaehwan mumbled. "Eh" Sanghyuk frowned. 

"I asked her what her favourite thing about me was" he replied sheepishly. "And she said it was your eyes?" Sanghyuk clarified. Jaehwan nodded. "She said that no matter how mischievous I got, my eyes looked like that of a sincere person. Then she called me a con man for tricking innocent people" he told Sanghyuk dumbly. "What the hell. I thought she had confessed or something" Sanghyuk laughed.

"She hates me" Jaehwan cried indignantly before burying himself in his blankets. "How does that mean she hates you?" Sanghyuk asked, still laughing at his hyung's antics. "Gaaah. I don't know!" Jaehwan wailed before rolling around and accidentally becoming a burrito.

 

 

 

Haneul peeked out from under the blanket burrito. It looked like Minah had left for class. "Aaagh. I really don't know anything!" she exclaimed before throwing her blankets away. "Your eyes are sincere. Who even says things like that? I might as well have confessed right then and there!" she grumbled. 

She sat by her vanity and started brushing her hair. "I am an idiot. A total idiot" she told herself. "But why was Jaehwan so strange? Why did he have to ask me that out of the blue?" she asked no one in particular. "Strange person. Such a con artist too. Looking like a puppy and behaving like an idiot. Dad was right. You really can't trust other men" she muttered. 

She sighed as she put her brush down. Now her hair stood out in whisps from the static and she pouted. "But what if I was too much? Who asked me to be so deep? I could have just said that I liked his nose. He likes his nose! That would have been a safe option" she thought out loud, while playing with the bottle of perfume. It was her favourite orange scent that Jaehwan had gifted her for her birthday. But right now the person in question was just confusing her. Why had he seemed so dazed after her answer?

"I really am an idiot right?" she asked the perfume bottle. She should just go drown in shame somewhere. "I wonder what he would have replied if I had asked him that" she thought idly as she twirled the bottle around. Her thoughts were interrupted by the ring of her phone.

Her heart skipped a beat when she saw that it was Jaehwan calling her. She panicked and accidentally hit the reject button before exclaiming and dropping her phone. She really was an idiot! She called him back, biting her lip as the dial tone played out.

 

 

 

 

"Best way to figure out if she likes you or hates you is to ask her in person" Sanghyuk told him. "She hates me. I know it for sure" Jaehwan said to himself. "No she doesn't" Sanghyuk deadpanned. Anyone with eyes could see that they liked each other. Everyone except the two involved apparently. 

"Well, I am calling her so ask her yourself" Sanghyuk announced. Jaehwan yelped as he saw Sanghyuk reach for his phone. The sheets he was tangled in stopped him from reaching hia phone in time si he watched in horror as Sanghyuk casually called Haneul.

"Oh. It got disconnected" Sanghyuk said staring down at the disconnected call. "See!! She hates me!" Jaehwan exclaimed before burying himself in his bed. "It just means that she has poor network" Sanghyuk said, shaking his head. The phone rang and Jaehwan stared at Sanghyuk. 

Sanghyuk blinked trying to figure out how Jaehwan managed to reach his phone that quickly. Had the man flown? He stared confused while Jaehwan took a deep breathe before answering the call.

"Haneul! Hi!" he said, leaning against the wall and trying to play it cool. "You are breathing really heavily into the phone. Are you okay?" Haneul asked with a frown. "Oh? Oh yeah!" Jaehwan replied and cleared his throat. "I'm fine. Peachy. I was just exercising" he lied. Sanghyuk snorted and Jaehwan glared at him.

"Oh uh... I guessed you must have called by accident then" Haneul said unsurely. "I'll hang up first then." "No! Dont go!" Jaehwan said before slapping his mouth. Sanghyuk couldn't help the laughter now. "Huh?" Haneul asked, confused at the force of his tone. "I meant.... Let's go! Let's eat noodles. I'll pay!" he covered up lamely. "Noodles... for dinner? You want to meet for dinner?" she asked him. 

"Yeah! I had a craving" he continued, embarrassed at his own lying. "You ate them for lunch" Haneul replied. "I did?" Jaehwan blinked. "Yeah" Haneul laughed. "But I wouldn't mind" she added. "Oh... Okay then. Let's go eat together!" he cheered, trying to sound normal but secretly dying inside. "Okay. I'll meet you in twenty" Haneul agreed after a while. "Yay" Jaehwan said with no soul in his body before ending the call.

He groaned and his knees gave out. Why was he like this? He scowled at Sanghyuk who was giving him a knowing look. He raised an eyebrow and the maknae chuckled.

"You didn't realise that you asked Haneul out on a date, did you?"