Baby Steps 2

Full Circle

 

"What the hell?!" Minah exclaimed as soon as the pillow met her face. "I hate you!" Sooyeon exclaimed murderously. The younger girl proceeded to stomp around the room before  exclaiming and swearing in frustration and burying herself in her bed and cocooning herself in her bedsheet. "You liked hugging Baekhyun didn't you?" Minah deduced. Vehement protesting was muffled under her sheets. Not like Minah would have accepted the no.

"It was awful. The only reason I did it was because you would hug oppa" Sooyeon grumbled. "That's kinda sad because I would have hugged him even if you hadn't hugged the beagle" she told her. "What" Sooyeon exclaimed, her head popping out of the blanket cocoon. "Yeah" Minah teased.

"So basically, you liked hugging oppa" Sooyeon said, changing the topic. "It was nice" Minah said shyly. "It was awesome I bet! Oppa gives the best hugs. He squishes you real tight if he likes you. Unless you are Eunhyuk oppa. They always hug to suffocate. But you should hug him more" she said righteously. "Uh huh" Minah agreed, amused at her antics. "And you should totally kiss Baekhyun" she replied. Sooyeon buried herself deeper and rolled around the bed in response. Minah laughed and decided to concentrate on her assignment instead.

 

-x-

 

"Minah!" Donghae yelled as he waved to her. "Hey! You came!" she exclaimed joyfully. "Yeah. So which booth are you working at?" he asked her. "I'm selling souvenirs. Can I interest you in a pretty little trinket for your beautiful girlfriend?" she asked batting her eyelashes comically. 

"Sorry. I don't have a girlfriend" he said, playing hard to get. "Maybe you have a girl you like?" she asked. She felt nervous about the answer but tried her best not to show it. "Maybe. Say if I did, what would she like?" he asked her playfully. "You're asking me?" Minah asked dumbly. "Yeah. You're a pretty girl. I am assuming you would know" he said with a smile that showed he really meant the compliment. 

Minah blushed and looked at her feet. "I don't know about her specific tastes but there is this one necklace that I like" she told him shyly. "Which one is it?" Donghae asked looking over an array of pendants curiously. "This one" Minah said, carefully picking up a necklace that she had set aside.

"That's.... a unique design" he said hesitantly. It was a rectangle which had been divided into two squares and two circles were inscribed within along with a couple of oddly placed curves and lines. "I know right? It's a design which contains every alphabet and digit from english" she told him. "No ways" he said surprised. "Yes way. Trace them out" she replied.

He traced out random letters and the digits and was shocked. "Told ya. Pretty awesome isn't it?" she asked him. "Yeah. So if I was to give it to someone then it would literally be a combination of all things I would want to say" he realized. "It would also be the description of every moment shared between the two of you" she agreed. They shared a moment lost in the magnitude of the realization.

"I think I'll buy it for you" Donghae told her. "You don't have to. I was just kidding" she assured him. "I know. I'd like to anyways" he told her with a cheeky smile. "But what about that girl you like?" she asked him. "I'm buying it for her too" he told her meaningfully. "you're buying two?" she wondered out loud. "No you dummy. I am buying one" he told her. "I don't get it" she said confused.

He shook his head, taking the necklace from her hands. He tied it around her neck, carefully brushing her hair out of the way. "I'm buying it for you because I like you" he told her. She could feel his fingers shaking over her skin. He was nervous as hell and that made him more charming. "I like you too" she replied shyly. 

"And I would really like it if you didn't steal my employees away for moments of romance" Heechul said, appearing out of nowhere. "Employees? They're student volunteers!" Donghae protested. "Well they volunteered to work so off with you now" Heechul said firmly before pushing Donghae out. Minah laughed before quickly returning to work. She did not mean to incur his wrath but she couldn't stop smiling at the exchange before.

 

-x-

 

"Sooyeon you should take a break and take a nap" Minah said with a frown. "In an hour, I'm almost done" she promised, writing away on her assignment sheets. "Please. You said that last night and stayed up all night. Now that I won't be here, you'll definitely work yourself to death" she said knowingly. "That's different! I just need to write the assignment. Then I am done" Sooyeon told her. "Promise?" Minah asked. Sooyeon nodded, speeding up her writing.

Minah glanced at the clock. There was still half an hour to her meeting with the music club. She kept playing Dots on her phone till she heard a knock. "I'll get it" Sooyeon told her, getting up from her chair. Minah continued to play because the game was very addictive till she heard a loud exclamation and a gasp and someone had definitely hit something with their foot. She looked up to see Baekhyun profusely apologizing to Sooyeon who was massaging her foot. Not knowing what else to do he hugged her While apologizing. 

Minah laughed as Sooyeon's protesting died instantly and Baekhyun panicked even more worried that she was angry with him. "I'm really sorry" he said, apologizing for almost opening the door and slamming her foot. "Baek... air.... breathe" Sooyeon gasped, red from blushing and suffocation.

"Sorry. Sorry I... just sorry" he said weakly, backing away from her. She massaged her leg ruefully, giving him way to walk into the room. "Hi" Minah said grinning and he smiled sheepishly in return. "What ever are you doing here Baekhyun?" she asked dramatically. "I do not have a clue" he exaggerated. "Let's sit down and think, shall we?" Minah said scooting over. the two of them sat down and crossed their legs and struck a thinking pose causing Sooyeon to shake her head.

"I'm off to my music club meeting. Baekhyun, can you please make sure that she does not die?" Minah asked him. "Will do Ma'am" Baekhyun said with a salute. "No! Take him with you! He won't let me work at all" Sooyeon protested. "That's the entire idea" Minah said closing the door behind her. She didn't hear a whole lot of protesting which was surprising but she didn't think too much about it, deciding to make her way to the music club instead.

"You are late" Donghae complained. "I know. sorry. Baekhyun decided to sneak into the hostel and I had to make sure those two got up to funny business before I left" Minah told him. "Baekhyun did what? Is he with Sooyeon? Like right now?" Donghae asked angrily. "Yup. Isn't that great?" she asked him. "Great. Bloody terrific. I will kill him in his sleep tonight" Donghae swore under his breath. He took out his phone and dialed Sooyeon's number hoping he was interrupting any fishy business if he could help it. 

"Hello?" Baekhyun answered the call. "Why are you answering my sister's phone?!" Donghae asked, a little stressed out. "Because she fell asleep! And you were persistent. Is it important? Should I wake her up?" he asked worriedly. "No no no. tuck her in and give her a good squishy hug. She loves your hugs" Minah cut in. "Just get out of there" Donghae suggested instead. "She likes my hugs?" Baekhyun asked in surprise, completely ignoring Donghae. "Yup. she doesn't show it but she loves it. Just like you don't show it but you love her. Make a move already!" Minah exclaimed before ending the call and pulling away with loud laughter. "What was that?!" Donghae asked her. "Sooyeon will have a heart attack. I think baekhyun had one when I ended the call" Minah said with a mischievious grin. "Are you crazy woman??" Donghae asked her. "Yup" Minah agreed, skipping to talk to other people. Donghae followed her with a scowl.

"Relax, Sooyeon's oppa. She'll be fine. Trust Baekhyun" Minah told him as she put her hand in his later. "Baekhyun is the reason I am worried" he grumbled. "Well, love will find a way so there is no point in trying to prevent the inevitable. If we ended up together despite my brother threatening you every time then Baekhyun and Sooyeon will too regardless of how much you threaten him" Minah explained. "I hate it when you use logic against me" Donghae told her. "I hate it when Sooyeon uses Math against me. And somehow she manages to do that a lot" Minah grumbled. Donghae laughed because he had been on that end for years growing up. He rest his head on her shoulder and she tilted her head to playfully nudge his before putting an arm around him and pulling herself closer. Funnily enough her arm didn't go all the way but he understood her actions. It was amusing how they had started to work in sync that way.

"You know that I love you, right?" he asked her quietly. "So I've been told" Minah said playfully. Donghae frowned and he pulled away. "Just kidding. I love you too" she said shyly, wanting to pull him back but being too red to do so. He rest his head on her shoulder again of his own accord and she resigned herself to petting his hair and smiling about the turn of events.

 

-x-

 

"I'm all done" Sooyeon announced happily. Baekhyun frowned and pouted at her. "Sorry. I know I said I would finish half an hour ago but I realized that I had done a question wrong and... and you don't care about the explanation at all" she noticed. Baekhyun gave her a look before turning away crossly. "Baekhyunnie~ byunbaek~" Sooyeon sang in an attempt to get his attention. "What?" he asked not looking at her. "I'm sorry for ignoring you" she apologized. "You should be" he told her disgruntled. She smiled and slipped next to him on her bed. 

"Were you really bored?" she asked him. "Very!" he exclaimed unable to hold it in any longer. He had been quiet for the past half an hour and it was killing him. She giggled and buried her face in the pillow to hide it. "Yah! don't think I didn't notice it! You need to make up for it missy!" he said poking her sides. She started laughing and almost rolled off her bed if not for him pulling her in just in time. "Be careful, you dummy" he warned her, pulling her away from the edge and hence closer to him. She let out the breathe she had been holding, still scared from almost falling down.

"What do you want to do now?" he asked her. "I dunno. watch a movie?" she suggested. "Okay. do you have any funny ones?" Baekhyun asked. "I'll have to check. Oh oh oh. I have the entire Japan concert DVD of Girls Generation" she remembered. "We are watching that!" Baekhyun decided. He got up to get her laptop and connect the charger. But by the time he had setup stuff, Sooyeon who had been lying on her bed had fallen asleep. "How is this fair?!" Baekhyun exclaimed causing her to stir a little and him to shut up.

"You really are a strange woman" he said shaking his head. He covered her with her bedsheet and kissed her forehead. She hid her face, grumbling sleepily and he laughed. Maybe next time, he would actually take her for a movie. And hold her hand or hug her without her running away. And maybe kiss her on her lips and not her forehead.

Maybe.

 

-x-