Puppy Love

Full Circle

 


Yifan looked outside the window to his neighbor's house across the street. His mom had told him spying was bad but he was really curious.  As soon as he had come home from school he had kicked off his shoes and changed speedily into fresh clothes and then hopped onto the couch by the window.

Exactly at four thirty (Yifan was a big boy who could read the time now) the front door of the house opened and out came a little girl in a red frock and two pigtails. Qiuyue was a year younger than him and was still in preschool.  But she was prettier than the girls in kindergarten and she was also his friend. She called him 'Fan Fan' and was the only one other than his mom who was allowed to call him that.

To his dismay,  his mother called him away for snacks. He almost forgot about Qiuyue when he saw the smiley star shaped sandwiches but remembered to eat them quickly because he wanted to go to the park. Qiuyue always played there in the evening with her nanny. Hopefully he could play with her too.

 

-x-

 

"Hi" Yifan said shyly. "Fan fan! Come play!" Qiuyue said happily. She waddled over to hug him and he hugged her back happily. Qiuyue liked to hug everyone. "What do you want to play?" Yifan asked her slowly. Qiuyue was still learning to use full sentences and he took great pride in teaching her. He was a big boy now.

"Swings? I'll push" he offered. Qiuyue smiled and let herself be led by the elder boy. She struggled to climb onto the swing but got there in the end and Yifan gave her a push. However, she wasn't seated properly and she ended up slipping out and falling on the sand with a dull thud.

Qiuyue's eyes teared up as Yifan stared in shock. He was surprised to hear soft sniffles and he rushed to help her. "I'm sorry" he apologized helplessly as beaded tears fell down Qiuyue's cheeks. Her nanny and Yifan's mother noticed so they came over immediately. Qiuyue continued to cry making him feel more guilty.

"Yifan, what happened?" his mother asked pulling the two kids aside. "Qiuyue fell down after I pushed her" Yifan said guiltily. Her nanny had managed to calm Qiuyue down who had her head buried in her nanny's chest. "Why did you push her?" his mother asked sternly. "She was sitting on the swing and she fell down" Yifan said, almost on the verge of crying too. "you were trying to push her on the swings and she fell down?" his mother clarified. Yifan nodded, shuffling his feet.

"Oh dear. It probably isn't your fault. Are you okay Qiuyue?" his mother asked the little girl gently. Qiuyue looked at her and nodded, rubbing her eyes. "There you go. Say sorry to her Yifan" his mother reminded him. "Sorry" Yifan said as the nanny put Qiuyue down. "It's okay" Qiuyue said, rubbing her arm. "Why don't you two go play by the slide?" his mother told the the two. Qiuyue shook her head. She clung to her nanny and asked her to take her home instead. 

As Yifan watched her go home, he felt worse than ever.

 

-x-

 

The doorbell rung and Hankyung opened the door. "Yifan? what are you doing here? And did you cross the street alone?" Hankyung asked in surprise. Yifan nodded. "Mr. Han, is Qiuyue home?" he asked Hankyung. "Yeah she's in her nursery. Why don't you come on inside?" Hankyung said inviting the boy in. He noticed that Yifan had a small teddy bear in his hand but he didn't ask about it. He led Yifan up to the nursery adjoining his office where Qiuyue was colouring in a drawing book. He left the two kids to talk but kept an eye on them from behind his desk.

"Qiuyue" Yifan asked hesitantly. "Fan fan!" Qiuyue said looking up from her book. "I am sorry" he said, closing his eyes and pushing the teddy bear to her. Qiuyue looked from the teddy bear to Yifan with round curious blinking eyes. On hearing no response, Yifan opened one eye and looked at Qiuyue who looked totally clueless. "I am sorry I pushed you and you got hurt in the playground" he said, making Qiuyue hold the teddy bear. "Please keep Mr. Teddy" he told her.

"But you like Mr. Teddy" Qiuyue said with a pout. "He is my sorry gift" Yifan explained. Qiuyue looked at the teddy bear and then at Yifan again. "Not hurt. So no sorry" Qiuyue said with a smile. "You''re not hurt?" Yifan asked in surprise. Qiuyue shook her head and gave the teddy back to Yifan. She smiled and Yifan felt terribly confused. Wasn't she crying on the playground?

"Okay. Then share Mr. Teddy?" he offered. "Play with Mr. Teddy?" Qiuyue asked. Yifan nodded. He sat down next to her on the carpet. "I'm baba and you can be mama!" he told her. "Okay!" Qiuyue agreed. "Mr. Teddy is your baby. I am baba and you are mama" Yifan said happily. Qiuyue smiled and gave the teddy bear a kiss like her mother gave her when Qiuyue hugged her. Then she remembered that her mother gave her father a kiss on the cheek too, so she leaned a little forward and gave Yifan a big kiss on the cheek making him drop the crayon he had picked up. One because he was baba and she was mama and two because she was happy to play with him.

Hankyung's jaw dropped at the scene. His daughter was just in pre school! This was absolutely unacceptable!!

 

-x-

 

A/N - There is so much Krisyue in this collection /.-