The Unexpected Wingman

Full Circle

 

"Are we going to Rumpelstiltskin again?" Qiuyue asked her brother. "It's Rumble Muffins not Rumplestiltskin" Donghae corrected her. "And yeah, you like the muffins there right?" Qiuyue nodded vigorously. Donghae smiled. She was way too cute for a ten year old. This was the first time he was taking her out. He had just passed his driving test and gotten a license. And today he was taking Qiuyue to their favourite cafe.

The cafe was a ten minute drive from their house. Donghae strapped Qiuyue's seatbelt on before his own. He handed her his phone so she could choose  which songs they listened to on the way. They arrived at the cafe in the middle of the Pokemon theme song so the siblings stayed in and finished the song before leaving the car.

"Gege. Now that I am ten years old, will I get my first pokemon?" Qiuyue asked him as they climbed up the stairs to the cafe door. "You'll have to ask Umma" Donghae said. "Gege! I'll have to find Professor Oak for a pokemon! Not Umma!" Qiuyue told him. Donghae smiled sheepishly. He had forgotten a lot about Pokemon over the years. And Power Rangers and  Cardcaptors and whatever it was that his sister liked.

"Well first let's go get your muffins! Which one do you want?" Donghae asked. "Red velvet! And chocochip too!" Qiuyue said excitedly. She definitely had his sweet tooth, Donghae thought and chuckled. He led her to a free table before going to the cashier to place his order. 

"Yo myeolchi!" he greeted the cashier. An unsuspecting girl blinked at him. "You are not Eunhyuk" Donghae realized to his horror. "Clearly" she laughed. Her laughter had a pleasant musical ring to it. And now that he was looking, he noticed that she was rather pretty. She had nice looking eyes and her curly hair really suited her. 

He started when he realized he had been staring. "I am guessing you came here to order too other than say hi to Eunhyuk sunbae" the girl said with a twinkle in her eye. "Oh... uh yeah" he fumbled. "Two chocolate chip muffins and two red velvet muffins please" he said, feeling a little flustered. "Will you eat it here or takeaway?" the girl asked, punching in numbers. "We'll be eating here" he told her.

"We? On a date?" she teased. Donghae turned red but before he could say anything, the lady behind him in line started nagging the two for taking so much time. "Sorry. I'll get your order to your table" the girl said apologetically. She attended to the lady next in line and he sat at his table, sneaking glances at the cashier girl as Qiuyue played Piano Tiles on his phone.

"Gege look! High score!" Qiuyue said proudly. Donghae started again. He managed to cheer and kinda wing it but Qiuyue had already noticed that he had been looking at the counter. "Jiejie is pretty" she said with a smile. "Yeah" Donghae agreed mindlessly. 

"Do you like Jiejie?" Qiuyue asked Donghae. "Yeah... no! Eat your muffins Qiuyue!" Donghae said blushing red. He took his phone and mindlessly switched between apps just to look busy. When he looked up, Qiuyue was not in front of him. He panicked a little and started looking around for her. He noticed her sitting next to the countertop and talking to the cashier girl in question as she serviced other customers. He got up immediately, ready to take her back and apologize profusely for the inconvenience. 

"Jiejie! You're really pretty" Qiuyue said, the moment Donghae was two steps away. "Even Gege thinks so" she added with an innocent smile. Donghae wanted to turn on his heel and run out of the cafe and never return. What was Qiuyue saying?!

"Really? Thank you. And tell your gege that I said he looks nice too" the cashier girl replied with a smile in Donghae's direction. Qiuyue followed her line of sight to her own brother. "Gege! Minah jiejie thinks you look nice too!" she said.  Donghae tried really hard not to get embarrassed as he covered the remaining two steps.

"I am really sorry for my sister" he apologized, bowing deeply before getting Qiuyue off the counter. "It's okay. She is cute" Minah said. "Yeah but sometimes she just... " he said gesturing around. "Yeah..." Minah agreed. "You really shouldn't trouble people when they are working Qiuyue" Donghae told her. "Minah jiejie is on her break. And she likes Pikachu" Qiuyue told him seriously. "Was he your first Pokemon?" she asked Minah. Minah nodded. "Do you have a Pokemon?" she asked Qiuyue. "Not yet. But my first one will be a Bulbasaur because they are very cute" she told Minah. 

"Bulbasaur is a tough one. Good luck with that. Before you go on your journey though, eat some muffins okay?" Minah said ruffling Qiuyue's hair. "She really likes Pokemon" Donghae added lamely. "I noticed" Minah laughed. A co-worker handed her their order and she added napkins and spoons before handing it over to Donghae.  

"There's your order" Minah said handing it over. "Yay!" Qiuyue explained, distracted by the muffins. "She really is cute. You too" Minah said when she noticed Donghae smiling at Qiuyue's antics. Donghae blushed, forgetting to return the compliment. He carried the muffins back to his table before doubling back.

"Could I get your number? Just in case you know Qiuyue needs Pokemon advice" he finished very quickly losing the random spurt of courage. "Yeah sure why not. For Qiuyue" Minah agreed, taking his phone from him. "Yeah..." he finished lamely. She typed her number in and handed it back to him. "I better... cause you know... I'll see you around Minah" he said, saluting with his phone instead of fingers. Minah grinned and went back to work.

Donghae kept staring at the digits on his phone screen. He didn't even protest when Qiuyue stole the cherry from his red velvet cupcake. He really liked the cafe.

 

-x-

 

 

 

A/N - I am an innocent angel o:)