The Agreement

This Arranged Marriage with the Jerk Kris Wu

“Ahhhh, .” I fell into bed and stared at the ceiling.  “Things have gotten complicated.”  Yuri unnie likes Kris.  I don’t care for Kris.  Kris hates Yuri…well, actually, he pretty much dislikes everyone and everything except for his work.

“She’s nice too, so I can’t even hate her,” I grumbled, recalling our conversation over meat.

The sound of meat sizzling on the grill surrounded us, and I stared at Yuri with my eyes wide open.  “What do you mean?  You guys are childhood friends, right?”

“Hah,” she replied.  “We were childhood friends.”

“What about now?”

She shrugged.  “I honestly have no idea what we are now.”

I frowned, taking some meat off the grill and placing it in a piece of lettuce.  “But…”

“I did something horrible to Kris.”  She looked out the window.  “So I can understand why he hates me.”

“Yuri unnie,” I interrupted.  “Can I ask you something?”

“Hm?  What is it?”

“You…like him, right?”

Her smile told me everything.

I’m pretty sure I fell asleep, and when I woke up, Mother and Father were hovering over me.

“Hanbyul-ah, you were talking in your sleep again.”

“Oh.” I nodded.

Father frowned.  “Is there something you want to tell us?”

“Actually, yes.”  Mother and Father looked at me with anticipation, and I didn’t want to let them down.  “Do you have food?”

Mother frowned.  “Hanbyul, you smelled like meat when you came home.  Didn’t you go out to eat at that meat restaurant?  And did you even shower yet?”

“I don’t want to marry Kris,” I said, ignoring her questions.

Mother chuckled nervously, and I rolled my eyes.  Father stared at me for a while before sighing.  At times like these, I wish I had an older sibling so that I could throw them under the bus.  Unfortunately, with the exception of an idiot cousin, I was an only child.

“Hanbyul, please,” Father finally said.  “We really need this marriage.”

“BUT I DON’T NEED THIS MARRIAGE.”

Father patted my head.  “Look, we’re sorry that we threw you into this without telling you.  But Hanbyul-ah, why don’t you like Kris?  He’s a wonderful young man.”

I grumbled, “All he cares about is work.  He’s no fun.  Plus, my friend really likes him, and I feel bad.” 

“Hanbyul-ah, you have a friend?” Mother’s eyes widened, and I was sure that the longer she thought about it, the more she wanted to cry.  “I didn’t think that people in the real world would accept you for who you are—”

“Getting off topic, dear,” Father interrupted.  Turning to me, he continued, “I can talk to Mr. Wu for you, and I’ll explain the situation.”

“Make sure to ask for an extension for the wedding.”

Father nodded.  “I’ll try, but no promises, Hanbyul-ah.”

 

<:>

 

The next day, at around four in the afternoon, I rolled out of bed, almost tripping over the stack of comics I had piled up on the floor.  Cursing, I stumbled down the stairs and proceeded straight into the kitchen, right past Kris Wu (whom I ignored), toward the cabinet where I kept my cereal.  I poured myself a bowl and took it to the kitchen table.

“You look really cute with your hair like that.”

“I literally just rolled out of bed.  Why are you in my house?”

“Do you always get up at this time?”

“Stop changing the subject.”

He sighed.  “Dad gave me the month off.”

“Ah.” I nodded.  “A break from the other woman?”

Kris looked at me, probably confused.  “Er…what?”

I shook my head, jamming a spoonful of cereal into my mouth.  “Continue.”  I wasn’t really paying attention, but I guess talking to Kris was better than talking to Mother.

“And so, we’re going to spend the month together.”

“Huh?” I looked up from my cereal. 

He smirked.  “Every single moment.”

I sneezed.

“Allergy?”

“Yeah,” I replied, “to stupidity.  And I don’t wanna spend all of my time with you.”

“You’re cruel.  Or…that’s what the manga-obsessed would call ‘tsundere’, right?” He sighed.  “Well, I guess this month off will give me a chance to get to know my future wife better.”

“Are you on We Got Married right now?”

“Let’s go.  My car is outside.” He stood up, checking his watch.

“Where?  Did you know that I’m also allergic to the outside world?”

“Good one.” Kris smirked.  “But you know, that’s not going to get you out of this.  Because of your request, I’m not allowed in the building for one month.”

I sighed.  “I’m still eating.”

“I’ll buy you something to eat on the way back.”

“And I’m done.” I stood up, placing the bowl into the sink.  “Where to?”

“I have a place in mind,” he replied.  “You have fifteen minutes to get ready.”