SLOWLY, AND THEN ALL AT ONCE

This Arranged Marriage with the Jerk Kris Wu

“JONGIN I AM GOING TO KILL YOU THE WAY YOU FALL ASLEEP.” I raged through the house as soon as Joonmyun left, stomping up the stairs (after grabbing a bowl of cereal).  Sniffing the air, I could smell that strong- cologne that he loved to lather on himself and followed the scent to my room.

“NOONA I AM SO SORRY HOW WAS I SUPPOSED TO KNOW THAT YOU SUDDENLY DEVELOPED INTEREST IN ROMANCE?”

“WHO THE HELL WAS THAT ANYWAY?” I growled, scanning my room for signs of Jongin.  Seeing a chocopie wrapper on the floor, I knew I was getting close.  I saw a pair of legs sticking out from under the bed, and I almost stopped being angry (because how does a 182cm grown- man think he can hide under a bed without being seen). 

“I told you, that was my friend, Kim Joonmyun.” Jongin said.

“I know that,” I replied, irritated.  “Get out from under there, dammit.  I feel awkward talking to your legs.”

He crawled out from under my bed, grinning from ear to ear.  “So you aren’t going to kill me anymore?”

“What does he do?” I replied, ignoring his stupidity.

“Fashion.”

“OF COURSE BECAUSE ALL OF THE PEOPLE IN THIS DAMN STORY HAVE TO WORK IN THE FASHION INDUSTRY.”

“Um…noona?  Who are you talking to?” He frowned, looking around the room.  “I don’t see anyone else here—”

“Shut up, Jongin.”

“Sorry.  How did it go?  Did you get his number?”

“No.”

Jongin sighed.  “You were never good with people.”

“Anyway, all I know is that Joonmyun saw Kris’s photo in the newspaper and freaked out.”

“Wait, he left already?” Jongin frowned.  “Damn.  I was supposed to ask him if I could appear in a photoshoot.”

“That’s it.  I am going to Kris’s office.” I turned around, feeling done with Jongin.

“How do you know he’s there?” Jongin asked.

I shrugged.  “Where else would he go?”

“Wait, noona, take me with you!”

“No.  You stay at home and think about your life thus far.”

“I can drive you there!”

“No.  I don’t trust you.  And stop calling me noona.”

“BUT NOONA—”

“OH ALL RIGHT JUST STOP WHINING,” I growled.  Dammit, this guy will be the end of me.

 

<:>

 

One near-death experience later, Jongin pulled into the parking lot of the fancy- building where Kris worked.  I got out of the car, waved to Jongin, and walked through the glass doors like a badass, not even phased when I stepped into the elevator (aka the box of death).  Somehow, I managed to make it up to the top floor, where Lu Han’s surprised face greeted me.

“Is Kris in?” I asked.

Lu Han nodded.  “But he has a visitor right now, so I don’t think—”

“Oh.”  And then badass Hanbyul gave up on meeting Kris, and lazy Hanbyul returned.  “Okay.  I am going to sit in this comfortable chair and probably fall asleep.  Could you wake me up when Kris is free?”

“Of course.” Lu Han grinned.  “Glad to see you, Hanbyul.  It’s been a while.”

“It sure has.”

I slouched into the comfortable chair in Kris’s waiting room, embracing the rhythmic sound of Lu Han’s typing.

 

<:>

 

When I woke up, you could imagine my surprise when I saw Kim Joonmyun towering over me.  He held his jacket over his head (like an idiot), and I couldn’t help but snicker.

“Miss Kim.  I was surprised to see you here.”

“I don’t mean to be rude…” I trailed off, trying to figure out the best way to phrase my next question.  “But what the hell are you doing with that jacket?”

“Oh, this?” He lowered his arms.  “This is one of our company’s designs.  Do you like it?”

“Um, it’s nice and all, but I was wondering why you were holding it over your head like an idiot.”

“I was blocking the air conditioner from hitting you.  Did you feel warm?”

Man, this dude is kind of odd.  “Um, yes.  Thank you.”

“What are you doing here anyway?” he asked, sitting down in the seat next to me.

“Oh.  I wanted to see Kris.”

“Wow, you and Mr. Wu are on a first name basis already?  That’s amazing.” Suho sighed.  “I wish that I was on a first name basis with him too.”

“Woah woah woah,” I replied.  “I thought you hated Kris.”

“Oh.”

“Yeah.”

“You realized?”

I snickered.  “Um, yeah.  You kind of stormed out of my house after seeing Kris in the paper.”

“Please keep it a secret.” Joonmyun bowed.

I stood up, trying to get the feeling in my legs to return.  Lu Han was still typing, and when I checked my phone, I noted that it had already been an hour.

“Lu Han, is Kris free?”

“Not yet, I’m afraid.”

“Oh.  Who’s he meeting with?”

Lu Han cleared his throat.  “Well…”

A door opened, and my attention turned toward the hallway.  Kris and Yuri walked down the hallway, laughing about something fashion-related.  Lu Han looked away, guilty.  But I was okay.  I wondered why he felt bad when everything was okay.

“Ah,” Joonmyun muttered, walking up next to me.  “I heard that he was getting married.  Do you think that it’s to Kwon Yuri?”

I frowned.  “No, actually—”

“Well, last I knew, they were dating.”

“Oh,” I replied.

“I’ve decided something.” Joonmyun nodded as Kris and Yuri stopped in front of us.  “Miss Kim, will you help me?”

“Wait, what?”

“Hyung!” Joonmyun called out.  “I’m back.”

“I can see that, Kim Joonmyun.” Kris raised one eyebrow.  “You look…the same.”  Then he noticed me.  “Hanbyul, what are you—”

“Since you two seem to be done with work, why don't the four of us go somewhere for dinner?” Joonmyun asked.

“Oh I don’t know…” Yuri trailed off.

“It can be like a high school reunion, but with Hanbyul-ssi joining us.”

“Well…” Kris muttered.

“Ah, are you gonna pay?” I asked Joonmyun.

“Of course.”

I grinned.  “LET’S GO KRIS FREE FOOD C’MON.”

Cue the most awkward dinner ever.