Better but not

This Arranged Marriage with the Jerk Kris Wu

I AM BACK, AND I FEEL AMAZING.  To sum up the end of my sick days, Kris tried to feed me some “healthy” food, which in my opinion looked like a whole bunch of different types of grass, and tried to get me to take some disgusting medicine.  And well, when you’re up against a guy that’s over 180 centimeters and probably outweighs you, you know not to put up a fight.

Which brings us to the present. 

Kris had to go to work today, even though his “one month away from the company” thing hasn’t finished.  Not that I care.  I’m actually glad that Kris is gone…

“Hanbyul-ah, wanna see what I brought back from Japan?” Mother asked.

Oh, and yeah, my parents are back from their “vacation” to Japan.  Funny how they left with one suitcase (I checked the closet) and came back with four. 

“Does it involve food, drinks, One Piece, or a combination of the three?” I replied, not bothering to look up from my manga.  Damn, Zoro after the timeskip is insanely attractive…

“No,” Mother paused, “But I brought you some clothes!”

“Yippee, just what I need.” I rolled my eyes.

“C’mon,” she said.

I sighed, rolling out of bed, and followed Mother into her room.  My jaw dropped as she pulled out three big bags from one of the suitcases.  She handed them to me with a grin, and I hesitantly took them back to my room.

Once I confirmed that I had locked the door, I peered into the packages.  Frilly dress.  Frilly dress.  Swimsuit. Shirt.  Shorts.  Dammit, Mother.

“Please wear these when you go to meet your husband, Hanbyul-ah!” Mother’s voice came from outside my door.

“DAMMIT.”

“It’s not nice to curse.”

But hey, I shouldn’t have been surprised.  It’s Mother, after all.

 

<:>

 

Hanbyul?

Oh, hey Lu Han.  How are you?

What did you do to Kris?

Hah, why?

He hasn’t been the same since he came back to work.

Really?  Did he catch my cold?

Dunno.  But it’s almost as if…

If what?

Don’t you think that he likes you?

On what planet?

Earth.

Hey, can I borrow the first volume of Fairy Tail?

Don’t change the subject, Hanbyul.

I’m pretty sure he just sees me as annoying.

Look, he sat at his desk all day staring at his phone.  He was friendlier to the employees.  And he gave me the week off.  Something is up.  I’m his secretary.  He never gives me any vacation time.

Maybe it’s a hidden camera, Lu Han.

Maybe.

But then again, you and Kris are really good friends, right?  Maybe he’s concerned for your health or something.

Yeah right.  That workaholic cares about few things outside of work.

Oh.

Since I’m off tomorrow, should we meet up?  I’ll bring Fairy Tail.

K.

I’ll pick you up, and we can hang out.

Sounds good.

 

Hey, sorry about forgetting to mention that Lu Han and I text each other.  With the whole Kris situation going down at my house, my convenient lack of parents, and Yuri, who doesn’t really respond to my texts, I need someone sane to talk to.  One can only handle so much crazy. 

 

<:>

 

“Yo, Lu Han.” I knocked on the tinted window and watched as it rolled down in front of me. 

A grinning Lu Han stuck his head out of the window.  “Hey.”

I got into the car, and I couldn’t help but stare at Lu Han again, because I was jealous of his flawless skin and youthful looks.  That guy must’ve saved a country in his past life, because he was basically perfect.  Not to mention that he loves manga almost as much as I do.

“Why are you staring at me?”

“Because you’re beautiful.”

He burst out laughing.  “I know that book.  Didn’t know you were into that genre.”

“I read books too now, y’know.  Since someone doesn’t want to lend me his copy of the first volume of Fairy Tail.”

“It’s free online, y’know.”

“Yeah, but…I like having the hard copy of the book in my hands.”

“It’s in the back.  I’ll give it to you when I drop you off at your house”

I grinned.  “Thanks.”

“And never call me beautiful again.”

“Huh?  Why?  It’s the truth.”

“Did he propose yet?” Lu Han asked, focused on the road.

My eyes narrowed, noting that he changed the topic.  I decided to play along.  “Who, Kris?”

He snickered.  “Do you have someone else in mind?”

“Well, we’re kind of already engaged, so it’s really unnecessary.”

“But still…”

The car became silent again, and I realized that we were headed down a familiar road.  The fancy building came into view, and I sighed.

“Why are we here?”

Lu Han smiled.  “Sorry, but I have to drop something off at the office.  We’ll go eat something good after this, okay?”

“Okay.”

“Do you want to wait in the car or come up with me?” he asked, entering the parking lot.

Definitely wait in the car…unless he’s going to turn off the air conditioner?  If he turns off the air conditioner, then I should go with him…but then I’d have to ride in the elevator…but at least it would have an air conditioner…

“Hanbyul?”

“Oh…um, I’ll go with you.”

Lu Han paused.  “Really?”

I nodded.  “And then let’s eat all of the food.”

“Sure.”  He parked the car, got out, and walked over to my door.  When he opened it, I awkwardly stumbled out, as awkward Hanbyuls do when out of their natural environment.  I waited as Lu Han grabbed an envelope, and I followed him into the building.

Okay, since the last time I was there, the building got renovated.  Or maybe it was all the same, and I just couldn’t remember.  Either way, the building looked nicer than the last time I was there.

“Hanbyul,” Lu Han called out. 

When I snapped out of my thoughts, I realized that he was holding the elevator door open.  Taking a deep breath, I entered the box of death.  It started its slow ascent to the top of the building, and strange music began to pour out of the invisible speakers.

 

I feel the sensation; I feel it at once.
I’ll take you in one mouthful like cheese.

 

“I thought that elevator music was supposed to be calming,” I muttered. 

Lu Han shrugged.

 

Ah, but the strength in my toenail weakens, so my appetite is gone.

 

“OKAY WE HAVE TO GET OUT OF THIS WHAT IS THIS EVEN I DON’T I CAN’T.”

“Hanbyul?  We’re here.”

“FINALLY.” I threw myself out of the elevator and into the hall, recalling the last time I showed up unannounced.  Lu Han helped me up, and we walked toward Kris’s office.  His door was slightly open, and Lu Han knocked twice before entering.

“Lu Han-ssi?”

I heard a familiar voice and peered out from behind Lu Han.  To my surprise, Yuri stood in the office, arms wrapped around Kris.  To her defense, his arms were wrapped around her too.  In my opinion, they looked really good together.  Way better than Kris and me.  They quickly broke apart, and I noted that they both looked guilty.

“Kris?  What the hell?” Lu Han growled.  “Is this why you gave me the week off?”

“Lu Han…it’s not…we weren’t—”

“I’m not the one you should be explaining this to.” He stepped aside, and Kris and I made eye contact.

“Hanbyul?”

I ran.