Honesty

This Arranged Marriage with the Jerk Kris Wu

“It’s three in the morning already?” Kris yawned, running a hand through his hair.  We had just gone through the entire first season of the swimming anime.

“Ready for the second season?”

He winced.  “There’s a second season?”

“There is.”

“Maybe you should save the second season for later.”

“Should I?”

He took a few gummy bears from the bowl.  “How do you stay up this late on a regular basis?”

I shrugged.  “You get used to it.”  I turned off the television and removed the disc from the DVD player, carefully placing it back in its case.  “Soon, the sun will rise, and you’ll think, ‘Wow, it’s sunny already?”

“I don’t want to become you,” Kris replied.  “There’s only enough room in this world for one Hanbyul.”

I scoffed.  “Same here.  Who wants to become a jerk?”

“I am not a jerk.”

“You are, actually.”

Kris rolled his eyes.  “You really like to insult me, don’t you?”

I grinned.  “I love to.  My third favorite thing after manga and anime is being a lazy .  I take it very seriously.”

The room turned silent, and I focused my attention on anything but Kris, since I could feel his eyes on me.  I hate to admit the fact that I’m becoming uncomfortable around him, but that’s the unfortunate truth.  Maybe I’m just allergic to Kris.

“I’m going to use my wish now.”  Kris finally broke the silence.

Sighing, I grabbed a handful of gummy bears from the snack bowl.  I honestly did not think that Kris would make it through the entire series of swimming anime.  Hell, I didn’t even think that he would make it through one episode of swimming anime.  But since I was the one to stupidly propose the wish, I had to follow through.  I asked, “What is it?”

“I want to ask you a few questions.”

I raised an eyebrow.  “Why don’t you just ask?  And don’t sound so formal.”

“I figured that you would give me sarcastic answers.”

Damn, how does he know me so well?  “Fine.  Ask away.”

“Promise you’ll tell the truth?”

“Yeah, yeah,” I grumbled.

“Okay,” Kris said.  “First question—”

“—Hold on.  Doesn’t this remind you of something?” I paused, trying to remember.  And then, memories of our first meeting, the awkward questions, and my irritation reminded me why I found Kris annoying.  “Never mind.”

“Okay.  I was curious about some things.”

“Like?”

“I can’t believe that I’m asking, but who’s your ideal type?”

Contemplating my answer, I finally replied, “Preferably Roronoa Zoro, but…well, someone who wouldn’t mind being with me.”

He laughed.  “I should’ve known.”

“Hey, a girl can only dream.”

“Next question…don’t kill me, okay?  Have you had your first kiss yet?”

I smirked.  “Why?  Curious?”

“Yeah.”

“The gummy bears are getting to your head.” I snickered.  “Well?  What do you think?”

“There’s no way that you—”

“And you’re completely wrong,” I replied.  “As usual.”

“No way.”

“You’d better believe it.”

Kris nodded.  “Okay, tell me a little more about your family.”

I frowned.  “What kind of question is that?”

“They’re rarely home, so I wondered.”

I tried to think of the nicest way to describe my parents and said, “Father is a computer geek and a pushover.  Mother married him because she likes rich guys.  I am the product of them.”

“Didn’t know you would be so blunt about it…” Kris muttered.

“But,” I sighed, “in the end, Dad and Mom…are good people.  It kind of that they have a daughter like me,” I admitted, reaching for another handful of gummy bears.  “I mean, I like to stay home and read manga all day.”

“There’s nothing wrong with that,” he mumbled, barely audible.

“I guess.”

“I don’t mind your weird obsession.”

“Thanks, but…”

He said, “I find it oddly endearing.”

“Thanks.”

“No problem.”

“And to be honest,” I continued, “I don’t actually hate you.  At first, I wasn’t too thrilled to be married to a guy like you, with your unfortunate good looks and your awkwardness, but maybe…you aren’t too bad.  And I’m sorry that I’m horrible at expressing my feelings…”

And then, I heard snoring.

“Dammit, Kris,” I muttered.  “Falling asleep so early.” A sliver of sun seeped through the crack under the curtain, and I sighed.  “You even missed the sunrise.”