Uneasy

This Arranged Marriage with the Jerk Kris Wu

“Kris, everyone is staring at you,” I pointed out.  The cafeteria went silent when Kris stepped in, and everyone seemed to watch him walk over to me.  “And it’s probably because you look like something out of a shoujo manga.”

“A what?”

“You know,” I replied, “you could probably pass off as the tsundere type?  No…you’d totally be the kingka in a school manga.  Oh!  You should really consider dyeing your hair blonde, since you’d probably attract females if you did.”

“I don’t…understand your vocabulary?”

I sighed.  “No one does.  One time, my mother tried to hire a tutor for me because she was worried that I was learning the ‘wrong’ way.” I paused, noticing the look in Kris’s eye.  “Whatever that means.”

“I can kind of understand her.”

I pouted.  “Can you get me food?”

I watched Kris look at the food carts right next to our table.  “Um, Hanbyul, you picked the table closest to the food.  Couldn’t you just walk—”

“But I’m lazy?”

“Look.  Just get whatever you want, and I’ll—”

I stood up, noticing that a man selling ramyun.  I yelled, “OKAY YOU PROMISED!” before running off.

Let’s just say that Kris wasn’t too happy to have to help me carry four bowls of ramyun and three plates of whatever-else-I-was-inspired-to-eat back to the table.

“Kris, let’s go play some video games after I eat this!”

“Huh?”

“Lu Han said that you guys have a game center here.  But it’s employees only.”

“Hanbyul, I don’t know if you understand this,” he replied, “but I really have to get back to work soon.”

“Boooooo,” I said.  “You’re no fun.”

“What do you think I do all day?  Play around?  There’s a reason why I’m the CEO—”

“Fine, Mr. Workaholic.”

He gave me a pained expression.  “Just…don’t hack our Wifi.  Please don’t hack the Wifi.  I know you can.  Your dad owns a computer company, right?”

“What?  Oh.  I was just joking about that.” I chuckled.  “You didn’t believe me, did you?”

“Heh.  Of course not.”

“Well, I understand,” I replied.  “I’ll be going home now.  Have fun working.  Meet a hot girl or something.”

“Is this because you’re mad that I can’t play video games?”

“I may be immature, but I’m not that immature, Kris.  I was planning to go home after lunch anyway.  Thanks for the meal!”

“I’ll call Lu Han.”

“No need.”

“I’ll call a taxi.”

“I’m fine.  Let’s hang later.”

“I’ll call a—”

“BYE KRIS SEE YA LATER!” I yelled.  I smirked, seeing him turn red in embarrassment as all of the people in the cafeteria stared at him.  Satisfied, I exited the cafeteria.

 

<:>

 

I almost died on the elevator ride down.  In fact, when the elevator door opened, I threw myself out of that box of terror and into the arms of Lu Han.  By accident.  And all I want to say is: WHY HAS MY LIFE TURNED OUT THIS WAY?

“Sorry.” I bowed, embarrassed.  “But thank you for stopping my face from slamming into the cement.”

He chuckled.  “It’s fine.  You’re leaving already?”

“Yeah.  I got bored.”

“Figures.  Kris takes his work very seriously.  I don’t think he’s ever taken a day off when he could help it.”

I sighed.  “We’re going to get married, and he loves his work more than people.  Should I start referring to his work as ‘the other woman’ or something, just to piss him off a little?”

“Good one.” Lu Han laughed.  “But give him time.  I’m sure the marriage thing shocks him just as much as it shocks you.  He’s not good with girls anyway.”

Suddenly, a voice interrupted our conversation.

“Excuse me.”

We both turned.  A really pretty girl dressed in really fashionable clothes—I sincerely apologize for my lack of knowledge in fashion since I read comics all day—stood behind us.  I think my jaw dropped at how pretty she was.

“Hey, Yuri!” Lu Han smiled.  “Here to see Kris?”

“Yep.  I called him on the way over.  Ah.” She turned to me.  “New employee?”

“Just visiting,” I replied.  “I’m Kim Hanbyul.  It’s very nice to meet you.”

She smiled.  “I’m Kwon Yuri.  I hope that we can become friends.”

Right.  Friends.  I watched as she walked over to the elevator, and for some reason, I started to feel uneasy.