Introduction

This Arranged Marriage with the Jerk Kris Wu

My family has had a history of being cunning and sarcastic s.  My father, who runs this super important company related to computers, is probably the best example of this.  He thinks he’s so damn witty all the time that it’s kind of sad.  He constantly brags about how he built his stupid computer company from scratch and turned it into some multi-million dollar company.

Mother isn’t really any better.  She is one of the most important employees at the stupid computer company.  I’d even go as far to say that she calls all of the shots.  When she’s not working, she’s either a) shopping or b) filling me in on the latest gossip at the company.

So, if this is all true—if we really live in luxury—then why do they need me to get married to someone I’ll probably hate?  No one really knows why.  I personally think that it’s just for their amusement.

 

<:>

 

“Oh, Hanbyul, I didn’t think that you’d come out of your room?” Mother asked with false sweetness.

I rolled my eyes.  “I received the email you sent me.”

“Email?  Good one.  She’s always on her computer,” Father whispered to Mother.

“WHY WOULD YOU THREATEN TO TURN OFF THE WIRELESS INTERNET?  YOU JUST DON’T DO THAT!”

“Sorry, dear,” Mother chuckled.  “We had to get you out of your room somehow, right?  That was our last resort.”

“Huh.”  I sat down, resting my feet on the coffee table.  “Wow, did you forget to buy new curtains?  It’s so freakin’ bright in here.”

“Hanbyul-ah, cursing is not lady-like,” Father chided.  “You should probably stop with the swear words, especially when he comes to visit later.”

“He?  Who’s he?” I asked, not really interested.  “Also, do you have something to eat?  I’m so damn hungry right now.”

Mother looked at me with concern.  “Dear, you just ate breakfast two hours ago.”

“Gaming makes me hungry.”

“There’s fresh fruit—”

“—Do you have instant ramyun?”

Mother and Father stared at each other.  And then at me.  And then back at each other.  At this point, I was starting to get annoyed.

“Hanbyul, dear, your soon-to-be husband is coming to meet you in a few hours.”

My jaw dropped.  I glared at my mother in disbelief.  “YOU MARRIED ME OFF WITHOUT MY CONSENT?  IS THIS A NEW THING?”

Father sighed.  “Hanbyul, you’re overreacting.”

“She’s just a teenager, dear.  Give her a break.” Mother patted Father on the shoulder.

“NO, I THINK THAT I’M THE ONLY NORMAL ONE HERE?”

Our family must also be really good at sighing, for Mother sighed.  “Hanbyul, please calm down.  We have a perfectly good reason—”

“I don’t care about the reason.  Just tell me one thing,” I hissed.

Father raised an eyebrow.  “I’m listening.”

“Is he hot?”