Chapter 9: Hunhan

Swimming Against The Tides
Please log in to read the full chapter

"Ah Luhan, Sehun! Glad you made it on time," greeted the king. "Now, Sehun. There is going to be a ceremony just before lunch time which will announce to our people that you are the sharks' new leader. We have a couple of hours to get you ready for it, which means you will have to go and get fitted with your drapes and then you must try to make some sort of a speech up." He turned to Luhan, "Luhan, you can do the honors but do remember to be on time, the people do not like waiting very long."

Luhan lead Sehun to a dressing room and opened a large wardrobe. "Hmm, let's see now," mumbled Luhan as he looked through the wardrobe. "Aha! The perfect colour to match your tail!" he exclaimed.

Sehun just sat there as Luhan dressed him with the very silky cloak that matched the colour of his tail but also had a tint of red in it. He got up and looked in the mirror. He was amazed by how different he looked with just a change of clothing - and the addition of a tail. "Luhan, are you some sort of stylist or something? You seem to have a very good eye for colour choice," commented Sehun.

"Thanks, but now we must get your speech ready," said Luhan. "That is, if you wish to make one. You just have to say a thank you sort of thing. That's all there is to it," explained Luhan.

"Okay then. I will do it that way. What should we do now? I'm sure there is still a while until the ceremony starts."

"Well, not exactly. My father said there were a couple of hours but in fact we only have 1 and there is only about half an hour left until the ceremony starts. My father has very bad estimation about timing when he is what you would call excited," clarified Luhan.

"Then we should go," said Sehun. They swam out of the room and through a couple of hallways before reaching two glass doors that led to a large balcony. Outside of the castle was a growing crowd of mermaids and mermen, waiting for the ceremony to commence. The king swam towards them with a big smile plastered onto his face. He did not speak to them and just pushed open the doors to the balcony. The crowd cheered as they saw their king and many of them bowed.

"We have come here today to celebrate a most joyous historical event. The sharks have been our enemies for a very long time, but today is the day when that will no longer be a fact! From today onwards, we shall do our best to become allies with the sharks! As some of you may have heard, there is a new leader of the sharks! He is no shark himself, do not worry! Here he is, Oh Sehun!" exclaimed Kris.

Sehun took a deep breath and swam forward, Luhan trailing behind him and moving to the side to let Sehun through. The crowd cheered as they saw Sehun and he responded by bowing slightly. Once the crowd was somewhat quiet, he began his speech, "It is a great honor for me to be standing here in front of all of you. I will do my best to make sure the sharks follow what is expected of them. If there are any sharks who try to harm or do harm any of you merfolk, please direct messages to me and I will see to it that I find the culprit. Depending on the extent of the crime if you could call it, I will give them punishments. I am not scared to punish the sharks as I believe in what is right. But if perhaps say that any merfolk tries to harm the sharks, I must stop them as it would also disrupt the alliance. Thank you, your majesty, your highness and to all who came today," Sehun finished cleanly and bowed.

The crowd cheered once more and Sehun faced the king before going back inside the castle. He heard the king saying the farewell greetings and sighed. "Weren't you nervous at all?" asked Luhan.

"No, I actually found it quite easy," answered Sehun.

The king came back inside as well and the doors closed behind him, "Sehun, I must say, you are a better public speaker than Luhan! Now, let's go to the dining hall and celebrate this event!" the king swam ahead of them and seemed to be quite excited.

In the dining hall, there were quite a few other people already seated and waiting. As soon as the king entered the room, they all stood up out of respect. The three of them went around to their respective seats and sat down, followed by the rest of the room. The king sat in the middle, Luhan on his right and Sehun on his left. The remaining four princes sat on either side of them. There were quite a few people in the room that seemed to be quite important. Threre were ambassadors, nobles and all the different ranks you would find in a kingdom.

"Your majesty, I would like to make a toast to the leader of our newest allies, the sharks, Oh Sehun!" toasted Xiumin.

Please log in to read the full chapter