Chapter 3: Kaisoo

Swimming Against The Tides
Please log in to read the full chapter

Kyungsoo was running. Something he never really did because he didn't need to. But this was a time that he wished he was fitter and was able to run faster. It was Saturday night, the time when everyone enjoyed the end of the week and partied all night, getting drunk all the while. But Kyungsoo wasn't the type to party all night and drink his sorrows away. He was running because he had bumped into some gang's leader out on the street. He was too afraid to even turn around. He was getting exhausted from the sudden running.

Meanwhile, Jongin was just slowly walking around the neighbourhood and was enjoying the cool night time air. But then suddenly, out of the corner of his eye, he saw a smaller male run passed him. Jongin found him rather cute, but then he saw who the boy was running from. He stopped for a moment and stuck his foot out. The chasers tripped over one another and before they could find the culprit who tripped them, Jongin was already gone. The chasers continued chasing the boy and because Jongin was so very bored that night, he followed them quietly.

Kyungsoo saw a group of people up ahead and hesitated - should he run around them or turn onto the docks? Unfortunately for him, he had no choice but to turn onto the docks because he could see that the chasers had split and were running towards him from behind the group of people. He to the old wooden docks and ran away. He stopped when he neared the edge of the docks, where there were no boats on either side of him.

"Aww, the little lamb has been cornered by the big hungry wolves," one of them mocked.

"You sure have a lot of energy in ya kid," commented another.

"You sure were brave to bump into our boss like that boy," said another.

"Hey!" Jongin called out. "What sort of men pick on people like that, huh?"

"You punk, you think you have the right to tell us off, do ya?"

Jongin scoffed and a smirk grew on his face. He began to punch, kick, headbutt and anything else that could've helped to knock the men out. But as Jongin was fighting the group of scum that were men, one of the injured men got up and charged at Kyungsoo and kneed him hard in the stomach. The man punched Kyungsoo in the face and then pushed him backwards into the water. Jongin heard a loud splash as he finished off the last guy and realised that the boy was no longer there.

He really didn't like saving strangers at random like tonight, but something about the boy pulled Jongin in. He ran off the dock and dived into the water. He turned into his true form - a merman. He saw the boy sinking further below and swam deeper to reach him. The boy was already unconscious by the time Jongin got to him. Jongin swam as fast as he could and got the boy onto a nearby beach. He dragged the boy and himself onto the beach and placed him on the sand. It was too late for anyone to be on the beach and so Jongin pulled himself onto the sand as well and let the wind dry him off.

After about an hour or so, Jongin was completely dry and so was the boy. He found the boy's phone and somehow it had survived the swim. He unlocked it and found that the boy didn't have any family contacts. Was he an orphan? A runaway? Why didn't he have any family numbers. He switched it off and placed it back where he found it. The boy stirred awake and when he saw the sky, he was slightly confused.

"You're awake," said Jongin.

"Huh? Who are you?" asked the boy frantically as he sat up.

"I'm the guy who saved you from those men earlier and from drowning. Name's Kim Jongin," clarified Jongin.

"Oh," Kyungsoo remembered then that it was true, "Thank you very much, Jongin. I'm Do Kyungsoo by the way."

"Now, shouldn't you be getting home?" asked Jongin.

"Oh, yeah I guess. But I live alone so it doesn't really matter," said Kyungsoo.

"Well, I'm sorry to cut the greetings short but I think I should be on my way now." Jongin got up and was about to walk off, when suddenly he felt Kyungsoo grab onto his wrist. He turned to see a confused Kyungsoo, "Yes?"

"Um, would you like to come over to have a bite to eat? It's the least I could do for someone who saved me," offered Kyungsoo.

"Oh, well since you're offering I guess I should go," agreed Jongin.

They didn't have to walk much further than a few minutes until they reached Kyungsoo's house. Once they were inside, Kyungsoo headed off to have a shower. Jongin waited at the dining table and just looked around, watching the clock as the time ticked by. Once Kyungsoo was out, Jongin was slightly more tense because Kyungsoo's hair was still wet. The latter was fully clothed for sure but his hair was still quite damp.

There was a slightly awkward silence and so Jongin cleared his throat, "Um Kyungsoo, how old are you?" asked Jongin.

"Me? Oh, I'm 19, what about you?"

"I'm 18, so I should call you hyung then. But wow, I didn't realise that you were older than me Kyungsoo-hyung," commented Jongin. He suddenly felt as though it would start raining soon, but he didn't actually know what he should do. It seemed like a big storm was on its way.

"Hey, are you okay Jongin? You seem a little worried," asked Kyungsoo.

"Huh, no it's nothing," answered Jongin.

"Okay then," said Kyungsoo as he turned around to continue cooking. He didn't believe Jongin completely though. He knew there was something wrong with Jongin but that wasn't what he was worried about - of all people, why did he let a complete stranger into his house? Had he gone mad? He never invited anyone over other than a couple of friends, but even that was rare. So how was it that he was able to bring home a complete stranger and not think twice about it until now? He finished making the dish and served it onto 2 se

Please log in to read the full chapter