Chapter 2: Baekyeol

Swimming Against The Tides
Please log in to read the full chapter

Somewhere else far away from the kingdom where no merfolk lived, there was a merman named Baekhyun. He knew all the ways of humans and knew how they did their everyday routines. Now, he had been successful in making a potion that would be able to turn him into a human and for how long do you ask? About 3 days. But that was all the time that Baekhyun needed to just spend some time on land. Early the next morning, he was going to drink the potion and walk onto land. He would never have guessed what would happen in those three days to come.

The first day on land was tiring for Baekhyun but once he got used to the transportation as such, it was a lot easier. It was getting late and Baekhyun was heading back to the beach to rest there when suddenly a hand grabbed him by the shoulder. He turned around to see who it was and all he saw was a handsome face with elf-like ears and wavy hair.

"Uh, yes?" encouraged Baekhyun.

"Wait just a second," the man said whilst catching his breath. "What's your name?" asked the man abruptly.

"Why should I tell you?"

"Okay then, my name is Park Chanyeol, nice to meet you," he offered his hand.

"Why are you telling me your name? I don't even know who you are," objected Baekhyun. "Look, I'm sort of busy right now, so if you could please let me go," Baekhyun shook the man's hand off of himself and began walking towards the beach once more. After several minutes Baekhyun stopped, "Why are you following me?" he asked.

"How did you know?" asked Chanyeol stupidly.

"'Cause your footsteps are as loud as a giant's!" yelled Baekhyun. "So, why are you following me? Shouldn't you be heading home? I mean it is rather late," asked Baekhyun.

Chanyeol sighed, "Fine, I'll tell you. It's because I-I-I like you."

Baekhyun froze. Did this strange Chanyeol human just confess to him? This wasn't happening right? Right? Baekhyun stayed silent for a moment, "I'm sorry but I don't think we could be together." He felt a stinging in the back of his eyes and began running for the beach. Obviously Chanyeol chased after him, so Baekhyun took a detour around the beach and onto a cliff. It was a very high cliff but he just stood at the edge of it.

"Wait, what are you doing there? It's dangerous! Please come down!" exclaimed Chanyeol.

"I'm sure we'll see each other again, until then," Baekhyun turned around swiftly and waved. He fell off the cliff and in mid-air, he gained control over his death-defying stunt and dived gracefully into the water. On top of the cliff Chanyeol could not believe what he just saw. Baekhyun didn't die - or at least that is what Chanyeol hoped for.

The next day, Baekhyun decided he would get away from the city and just stay on the beach all day and sleep. "Thought I might find you here," said a familiar deep voice.

Baekhyun jumped slightly when he heard him. "Do you like sneaking up on me that much?"

"Well, I didn't sneak up on you yesterday, I ran after you and you just didn't hear me. But seriously what were you thinking last night? Jumping off a high cliff? Are you trying to kill yourself?" asked Chanyeol.

"Will you please stop being so nosy?" demanded Baekhyun.

"Could you at least tell me your name?" pleaded Chanyeol.

"Byun Baekhyun. Happy now?"

Chanyeol just stayed quiet and soon left Baekhyun alone on the beach. Baekhyun fell asleep and didn't wake up for some time, but when he did, he regretted sending Chanyeol away. When he had woken up, he was tied to a chair with a cloth around his mouth. "Aww, the little boy has woken up has he?" a man mocked. Baekhyun struggled against the restraints.

"Yes, you want to know who we are? We're merely a group of mer-hunters," said another man. Baekhyun's eyes widened in shock as he realised what surrounded him and the men - mermaid carcuses. He could sense that there was water somewhere and soon enough, they got him off the chair - still tied up of course - and dumped him into a tank. He couldn't swim up because they had added a weight onto the restraints.

There was something mixed into the water and Baekhyun's visi

Please log in to read the full chapter