So close, yet so far.

Just like last time..

Baekhyun didn't know why his head was mentally screaming out his exboyfriend's name repeatedly all of sudden, he waved the thought off and continued to stare at the guitar before turning away back to the window. His thoughts started wondering again, when the train suddenly came to a halt, causing him to almost fall forward off his chair, after a quick check on himself to make sure he's not hurt anywhere, he managed to gather himself up and sit straight. He was barely getting over the fact he nearly face planted and hit his head on the floor of the train when he felt something hard hit his left thigh. He jolted in pain and surprise when he realized that the guitar of person sitting next to him, fell on him, he looked down and started rubbing his left thigh where the impact was made, the guy was quick to apologize as he grabbed his guitar off from his legs. 

"I'm so sorry, sir." The owner of the guitar said, Baekhyun almost missed it as he pulled out his earphones out of his ears ready to get off the train. He started detaching his earphones from his phone as he slipped his phone in his pocket, he slowly looked up at the man who could not look at him out of shame, Baekhyun took notice and despite his anger he managed to say "Don't worry about-" he cuts himself in mid-sentence, when it finally processed in his brain who the owner was, he pulled out his sunglasses. "Chanyeol?".

He felt his heart suddenly skip a beat, its beats becoming more and more irregular at the seconds ticking by. He waits for Chanyeol to turn to face him and was surprised to see the other male studying his face, looking intently at him. Chanyeol couldn't believe his eyes, he started rubbing them just to make sure he wasn't dreaming, but this was no dream, this was as real as it gets, Baekhyun was really right in front of him.

"B-Baekhyun?" he dropped his gaze and continued on "wh-what are you doing h-here? S-since when?" he stuttered trying to get his words out, he didn't know why he was so nervous all of a sudden, like his heart was going to explode out of his chest, Baekhyun sensed the nervousness of the male in front of him and started feeling the same, he felt his cheeks burning up, but instead of showing it, he tried to act as coolly as he could muster up. "Uh, about to get off now actually." bending his elbow and using his thumb to point at the door near by. Chanyeol tried to start another conversation but the train announcer interrupted his attempt "Dongja-dong passengers please kindly watch your step when getting off the train." Baekhyun stood up "that would be me, uh bye Chanyeol." Baekhyun hurried out of the train before the door closed on him, he did a better job at hiding his nervousness than Chanyeol throughout the whole interaction, he let out a heavy sigh of relief.

Everything happened so fast Chanyeol wasn't even sure if it was even real. He just saw Baekhyun, and as the train started moving again he was in utter shock he didn't move. After a few minutes, it only hit him then, he just spoke Baekhyun, after 5 years of no contact here he was. 

"Dammit" he said under his breath, he was too lost in his thoughts that he didn't even get to ask Baekhyun anything relevant, he didn't even get to ask him for his number. Before Chanyeol could gather himself it was too late, the train had already started moving, he mentally cursed at himself for being an idiot, for not thinking straight and fast enough. He tried to take one last look through the window where Baekhyun was seconds ago to try and get the slightest glimpse of him one last time, but all was in vain. Baekhyun was no where in sight anymore, he plumped down at his chair just like how he did back in his highschool graduation. 

He tried to memorize the new Baekhyun he just saw in his head with the limited time he got, he managed to take note of the slight modification in Baekhyun's whole appearance, his hair was now black which suited him so much, his eyes as beautiful as ever, his voice was still so angelic as how he remembered it and the way he dressed himself was different but it was good-different. It was casual yet it looked comfortable, he was in complete awe. No wonder he didn't recognize him straight away when he first sat down. 

He was literally centimeters away from Baekhyun just a few minutes ago, he couldn't believe it, as he looks down at the now empty still Baekhyun occupied just moments before, he sees something that caught his attention, he picks it up started examining it and untangling it. He was surprised that he knew who the earphones belonged to...it was his. It was the earphones he gave Baekhyun back when they were still together, back in his highschool days when he couldn't afford expensive things yet. 

Baekhyun always loved his music, everytime he was free he would sit down at a park somewhere and just listen to music, Chanyeol knew this, so instead of giving him something generic like a bracelet, he thought he'd be original and give him something that was his...his earphones, it wasn't the ideal present and he knew it was stupid but its all he had and it would be at a greater use to Baekhyun than a bracelet, he even personalized them by putting their initials "B" and "C" on each bud to make it more special, he always joked to Baekhyun "this way everytime you listen to music you'll think of me." Baekhyun just laughed at his cheesy line but still took them with sincere gratitude.

-

After all of that, Chanyeol still didn't get to his audition on time, he missed it. He went back to where he last left his car, he was so devastated about his missed audition so to get his spirits back up he went to his favorite music store to check out whether the CD he's been eyeing out for weeks was for sale, he pulled up next to the store, but didn't get out the car straight away, instead he took out Baekhyun's earphone out of his pocket and started playing with it, his thought wandered to Baekhyun, "At least something good came out of today." He was too busy thinking about Baekhyun that he didn't even realize the smaller male coming out of the same music store he was about to enter. 

Baekhyun who realized that he had lost his earphones somewhere, immediately bought a new one he couldn't function without music, when he was alone music was his comfort, he was disappointed to lose his earphones, it had sentimental value to him but he's lost it, he can't do anything about it now. Instead of dwelling on it he decided to look at the positive side of things and bought himself a new one, the previous earphones was old anyways, he tried to convince himself. 

Little did he know his precious earphones was just right in front of him in the hands of Chanyeol inside his car, if only he looked harder at the person inside the car right in front of him he would've seen who it was. He left not knowing, he was again, just meters apart from Chanyeol, and as if on cue just as Baekhyun left, Chanyeol finally got out the car, missing eachother merely by just seconds.

A few more instances occurred where Baekhyun and Chanyeol were literally just meters apart but would not see each other, every single time they would miss each other either by mere seconds or by sheer chance, both always oblivious to each other's presence. Sometimes Baekhyun would leave first then Chanyeol will come a few seconds after, or vice versa. Chanyeol would take a seat on the same spot of the park that Baekhyun was just sitting a few seconds ago, their encounter was so close, that he even saw the back of the male leave the seat before he took it not knowing it was actually Baekhyun, or when they were basically face to face with each other but a barrier of food shelves blocking them from eachother's view, one on either side of the aisle facing the same shelf at the supermarket together, this all would happen before they even get a chance to set eyes on each other.

One of their closest encounters was probably when they were walking along the same street, Baekhyun was heading to his college that morning when he stopped in front of the bakery to look at what he felt like eating, he was full body facing the window full of pastries and desserts contemplating whether he should buy a croissant or a caramel slice when Chanyeol walked straight past him looking down at his watch. Curse that watch and that dessert filled building and every other obstacle that prevented them from seeing each other, the world was basically giving them all the opportunities it could, but fate just wont allow it, not yet.

-

One night when Baekhyun was just clearing out his desk after spending a solid 3 hours worth of studying for his upcoming practical at the hospital, which essentially plays a big role in his end of year credentials. His phone buzzed as received a text message from an unknown phone number, he opens the message that read:

"Hey Baek! You've been back for awhile and didn't even bother telling me, we need to catch up soon okay! I missed you so so so much Baek! Hurry up and reply to me!" 

Baekhyun creased his eyebrows and was puzzled at the very casual message replied back:

"Hi! Hey, I'm sorry, I don't think I have your number registered on my phone. May I know who this is?" 

Almost immediately his phone buzzed again, this time it wasn't a text message but a phone call, he clicked on the answer button and put his phone next to his ear, not knowing what to expect.

"Um, Hello?"

Skipping his greetings the person on the other line sarcastically responds,

"Byun Baekhyun, you didn't tell me you've actually been back for a really loooong time already, didn't even contact me ones this whole time and now you're telling me you don't know my number anymore? Don't tell me you even forgot my beautiful voice too." 

Recognizing the voice, Baekhyun relaxes and smiles to himself, he truly missed the voice of the person behind the other line.

"Kyungsoo-ah?"

He could hear the joy and subtle shuffling from the other line, "Oh thank god, at least you still remember something about me!" Baekhyun can hear the sound of relief in his bestfriend's voice.

"How can I forget about you Kyungsoo-ah? I had to put up with you for almost 2 years! And for the record, I changed my number so with it my contacts got wiped out. How did you even get my number? You stalking me now huh? I mean, I know you love me and all but stalking me, wow, that's..that's..well I'm just flattered." Baekhyun laughed so hard he felt abs coming on.

"Ha-Ha-Ha, very funny Baek! Actually, I saw your brother the other day when I bumped onto him near our highschool. Hate to break it to you but I don't love you that much." He lets Baekhyun have his laughing fit until he continues on a more serious tone.

"But seriously Baek, what do you say? Let's catch up soon! We have a lot to talk about so many things happened in our 5 year separation which you let happen." Baekhyun rolled his eyes, as he waits for his bestfriend to continue "and also...umm..there's someone I want you to meet!" 

Baekhyun smiled and agreed to it, he hasn't seen his friend for a really long time of course he was going to meet him.

"I'd love that Kyungsoo-ah" 

"Okay, then it's settled! What do you think...uhmm..how about in two days time? Let's say Thursday night at 8? I'll just text you the name of place."

Baekhyun thought for a second, he only had a class in the morning on Thursdays so it was good for him, "Thursday sounds perfect!" 

"Okay! I'll see you then! Goodnight Baek." Baekhyun could hear the excitement coming from the other line.

"Goodnight Kyungsoo-ah!" He then ended the call. He smiled to himself as he placed his phone back on his study table and continued with his unfinished cleaning. 

Baekhyun was heading for bed when his phone buzz again, it was a text message from Kyungsoo confirming the date and time of their dinner:

"Joeun Sesang Mandeulgi,
14 12ga-gil Yangpyeong-ro, Yeongdeungpo-gu, Seoul.
8:00pm, Thursday.
See yous there! ;)" 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A/N: this was probably the hardest chapter to write but my favorite one, i could not contain even my own feels at the thought of this. Hope you guys are all enjoying it so far! ~

Thank you for getting this far into the story by the way! See you on the next chapter!! :) 

Till next time my chingus!~