Promise day

Just like last time..

First dates were supposed to be the one that left the most impact. It should be one of the most special day shared between a couple, but today was spent in the most non-special, most generic way a date could ever be. 

Considering it was already past lunchtime they couldn't really do something extravagant and after the slight mishap that morning they were in a tight rush to try and get somewhere nice before completely putting their rare free day to waste. 

Chanyeol decided to take Baekhyun out to watch a movie, although he was slightly hesitant in watching the movie that his boyfriend picked, he gave in to avoid upsetting his boyfriend on their first date, well it wasn't really their first first date but it was their first date as older, more wiser males. 

It was a classic movie that everyone was literally lining up for, Chanyeol thank the gods that they didn't have to wait at a very long queue just to get their movie tickets because the movie had been released about a week ago, so the number of people that came to watch it has lessened throughout that time.

They walked in and picked one of the two seats near the back, right smack in the middle of the movie theatre just like how Baekhyun liked it. They made themselves comfortable, and Baekhyun snuggled himself onto Chanyeol, resting his head on his boyfriend's chest as the opening credits came up, 

'The Fault in our stars'.

-

Baekhyun was the sentimental type, he likes to hold sentiment in everything because he believes that such occasions can only be lived for once. That's why people tend to find exceptional ways to celebrate things such as 21st birthdays and  50th year wedding anniversaries and just like such occasions first dates should've been something for one to tresure, not saying he didn't treasure their first date, he was just hoping for something more. 

Although he wasn't expecting much, and considering what happened earlier that day, Baekhyun was certain their first date wasn't going to be how he always imagined it to be, he was content to say the least, he was able to spend it with Chanyeol, he always loved spending time with the male, it's just this is their first date and maybe he was asking for too much, but it's not like he was expecting Chanyeol to hire out a whole shopping mall, or restaurant and proclaim his love to him for the world to hear. 

He just thought maybe his boyfriend could've came up with something more exciting than simply taking him to watch a movie that basically made him look like a crying mess and was left depressed for a long while even after the movie had finished.

"Baek, are you okay now? Do you want anything? I told you we shouldn't have watched that movie. I mean it was a great movie but I don't like seeing you cry like that." Chanyeol held Baekhyun's waist trying to help him walk, while the male clung onto him because for one he was really upset about the movie, he was still sniffing from the sobs he had in the movies and for two, he was extremely cold and he wondered why Chanyeol out of all nights decided to take the walk instead of drive back home. 

"I'll be fine Yeol, I just...their love was so great, it was inspiring...it was painfully beautiful...it was sad." He felt a pang at his heart remembering certain scenes from the movie that tugged at his heart, he started to feel hot tears creeping in his eyes.

"It was sad, yes. But I don't think that was the feeling the writer was aiming for the audience to feel. You should always look past the sadness and see the underlying message the author was trying to portray....love." Chanyeol turned Baekhyun to face him and he cupped the latter's face, and felt how cold they were. He looked into Baekhyun's eyes which clearly shows the sadness he still felt for the characters from the movie.

"At the end of the day, you should always choose to celebrate the times they spent together and not the times they spent apart and other than that, the biggest message I got from that was love can often be perfectly imperfect and that's the beauty of it. Regardless of the fear they had, the knowledge of exactly what they were getting themselves into they still chose to love and that is the bottom line." He placed a wet kiss on Baekhyun's nose.

"They were happy right? So you should be too! So stop crying now my Baek." Baekhyun gave him a tight smile and nodded in between Chanyeol's hold and just embraced Chayeol tight. He buried his face in his chest and hid his face as if a little child scared of letting go. 

They were holding eachother for awhile when Chanyeol kissed the top of Baekhyun's head keeping his lips lingering there as he spoke through his hair. 

"Baek, thank you for loving me even though I'm not always the best person to be with at times. I know it's always a struggle to love someone like me because I'm just a person full of flaws. I promise ill always try and make you happy. I know there will be times we'll get on eachother's nerves, like this morning perhaps, but I promise I will try and resolve it. I will always be thankful that you allowed me to love you again." 

Baekhyun surprised at Chanyeol's sudden proclamation of love slowly looks up from Chanyeol's chest and to his surprise as his eyes were adjusting to the brightest of his surrounding, he didn't know whether it was just his brain playing tricks on him but he was sure it was a lot brighter now than it was before he dug his head on his boyfriend's chest. 

Chanyeol looked down at him again before placing another kiss on his forehead, his boyfriend smiled and looked to his right. Following suit, he looked at what Chanyeol was looking at, and his eyes widen. 

-

Now it all made sense, why Chanyeol decided to walk even though it was cold. He hadn't realised that they had stopped just in front of a pathway where tree branches were strategically planted to make an arc hovering on top of the pathway, the tree branches had light bulbs hanging from it, lighting the pathway that lead to what looked like the only table of the restaurant. 

He was too buried into Chanyeol's chest that he hadn't seen that the pathway was lit up, he assumed Chanyeol did this and he was in total awe. After a closer inspection of the pathway, he noticed that each tree branch had a picture of Baekhyun hanging from it, some photos he didn't even know that was ever taken was there, he had photos that he wasn't looking directly at the camera, some was when he was asleep, others where he was studying or reading something and others were just random photos of him. And the tiny light bulbs on the branches looked like stars illuminating the photos that accompanied them. 

"Yeol, what's this?"

Grabbing Baekhyun's waist he smirked seeing the look of surprise on his boyfriend's face, he felt relieved.

"Happy First Date My Baek!" He whispered and kissed Baekhyun's ear sending shivers down Baekhyun's spine, he was already estatic from the sight and to have Chanyeol kiss him passionately like that was like the cherry on top of the cake.

"You could've at least picked better photos of me Yeol, I mean a photo of me sleeping? I can't believe you even let that through..."

Chanyeol did plan something special for the both of them, all this time he thought that the movie was just it, but it seems Chanyeol held that sentiment of first date just as much, maybe even more than he did considering everything that Chanyeol secretly prepared, which honestly he doesn't know when and how he had time to do.

-

As it turns out Chanyeol did hire a restaurant for him, not only that he actually hired out the whole place stretching out, hence the beautiful lighting just outside. Well actually Chanyeol didn't hire it, he just asked permission from his parents, they owned famous restaurants around Seoul afterall, might as well use this to his advantage right?

During their dinner, Baekhyun also found out that Chanyeol was now actually fully accepted by his parents, he's finally received the approval he's been craving for. It's funny how they haven't spoken about it till now. He guessed it was just a topic they both were somewhat uncomfortable to talk about. They were the reason they broke up the first time. Although Baekhyun didn't hold the grudge against Chanyeol's parents, he just didn't feel comfortable bringing the topic up with Chanyeol.

"So as I was saying, they said they want to meet up with you Baek."

"Uh, yeah of course Yeol, I'll meet with them, of course." Seeing the male slightly tense and fidget, Chanyeol grabbed Baekhyun's hand which was placed on the table, he gave it a bit of a squeeze and looked Baekhyun in the eye intently.

"I love you Baek, you know that right?" Hearing the exact same phrase Chanyeol said more than 5 years ago before they broke up, he suddenly felt nostalgic and although it was supposed to be an assurance phrase, it made him feel the opposite it made him feel uneasy.

"Hey...Baek, I love you! And that's the reason why they finally loved me too. You're the reason they accepted me back Baek. Don't worry, they're different now. I promise!" He felt relieved but at the same time, he still can't get rid of that uneasiness in his chest, but he didn't wanna spoil their special day simply because of this, so he gave his worried boyfriend looking at him with scrunched eyebrow a tight smile and a nod.

It was time for dessert, Baekhyun's favorite part of every meal. He has got such a sweet tooth and Chanyeol knew this, so of course he made this one extra special for their first date. They didn't wait for long till one of the waiters bought out desserts after desserts. Peppermint slice, chocolate mousse, cheesecake and last but not the least Baekhyun's favorite macaroons. He was reaching for the macaroons when Chanyeol snatched it far away from him, he was shocked and thought maybe Chanyeol took dibs on his favorite dessert, he was slightly disappointed but he just let him be.

"Baek, you have to eat it in the order they present it to you!" 

"But Yeol, it's the rule of eating dessert, you have to eat the one that has the strongest taste first, or in my instance my favorite and that would be what you're preventing me from eating right now." 

"Baek! Just trust me, and the chef said that's the only way he allowed me to hire this restaurant out."

"Yeol, didn't you say you owned this place? You have the most power here." 

"Yes Baek...but..but just trust me okay? You'll really like those other ones first! You trust me right?" 

Baekhyun trusted Chanyeol with his life and entrusting him with desserts is merely a petty thing, so he nodded not before giving Chanyeol a confused look though and he dug in. 

The first dessert that came out was the peppermint slice, so Baekhyun pulled the plate closer to him and grabbed the dessert spoon found on the side of his plate and he started eating from one side of the dessert until he reached about halfway through it, that there was a little plastic in between the slice hidden by the garnishes that accompanied the dessert, he picked it up and look at it with curiosity. 

"Uhmm,,Yeol, I think we need to send these back, it has plastic in it. Is this even safe to eat anymore? Plastic is toxic you know." 

Chanyeol closed his eyes for a second and face palmed, he doesn't know whether his boyfriend was just so oblivious or just plain dump.

"Baek, it can't be poisonous, the slice wasn't made with the plastic in it. It was placed underneath the peppermint leaf for a reason." 

Still examining the piece of the plastic between his fingers Baekhyun realized that there was something inside the plastic, some sort of paper.

He carefully pulled the plastic apart to expose the little paper enclosed in it, as he unfolded it.

"I" 

Once again he looked at the piece of paper in question.

"I? What's the suppose to mean?" 

He looked at the mousse and just like the peppermint slice it had plastic sticking out from it, he used his spoon to fish out the plastic and wiped the excess mousse with his serviette.

He carefully pulled out the piece of paper enclosed in it and was surprised to see a the word 'Love" written on the piece of paper with sophisticated handwriting, as if finally realizing what the mysterious plastic and paper he's come across his whole meal, he carefully placed the paper next to the previous one and quickly grabbed the cheesecake which just as he predicted had the exact same piece of plastic, he fished it out and just like the rest he placed them right next to eachother. 

It was such a simple gesture, but he felt his eyes water slightly as he stared down at the pieces of paper strategically placed right in front of him which he read with his voice wavering slightly,

"I Love You"  

Chanyeol got up off his seat with the plate of macaroons in his hands, he kneeled down next to Baekhyun's chair and slowly slid the macaroons in front of the pieces of papers. 

"I LoveYOU.....Here, now you can have these. I know they're your favorite."

"Chanyeol, I'm having a moment here, I'd have them later okay." 

Still with his sobs he was as sassy as ever, for what felt like the nth time that night Chanyeol, closed his eyes to contain his slight frustration which was easily taken away by the cuteness of the male inches away from him. He always thought about how lucky he was to have this man right in front of him. So he continued, completely ignoring the comment made by his boyfriend. 

"Baek, you'll never understand how lucky I am to have you in my life." He whispered and sloppily kissed Baekhyun's cheeks. He then pushed the macaroon plate in front of Baekhyun and gave him a nervous smile.

Baekhyun looked at the plate and after awhile he finally grabbed the macaroon delicately with his finger tips and took a bite, surprisingly he bit something relatively hard in the macaroon, which he immediately thought shouldn't have been there. He pulled the macaroon away from his teeth to see something silver sticking out from it. 

His eyebrows scrunched, "Yeol, I'm so sorry but I'm really doubting your restaurant's credentials.." He turned the macaroon towards Chanyeol, with the silver metal sticking out. 

Chanyeol didn't know how he should feel about the turn of events, he didn't know whether Baekhyun was playing oblivious or he really was just having trouble picking up. With his emotions taking over him, a mix of nervousness and slight frustration, he took the macaroon out of Baekhyun's fingers harshly, which took Baekhyun by surprise.

He pulled out the silver metal out from between the sandwiched pieces of macaroon, wiped it with the serviette found on the table.

"I didn't know that giving you this would be such a difficult task Byun Baekhyun!" After harshly wiping the object he placed it back on Baekhyun's palms.

"It was suppose to accompany the little notes that was presented before, but clearly it didn't really click to you. It's a ring by the way just incase you didn't get that either." He allowed frustration and nervousness take over him as his chest heaved slightly as his heart was pounding hard from his chest which he wasn't sure if it was out of anger or nervousness, not until he felt his cheeks burning up. He was nervous. 

Baekhyun looked at him dumbfounded, it took a few moments of agonizing silence, especially on Chanyeol's behalf considering he didn't know how Baekhyun was going to react to his actions, his heart beat getting faster as the time progressed.

"Yeol..w-what? Are you..are you proposing to me right now?" 

Seeing that his partner was more surprised than angry, he felt a slight relief and he was able to think properly.

"Well, you can look at it that way..I know you're not ready to get married yet because you haven't finished your medical course yet and I figured after that you'd still want to settle your career first. But I want to be sure that until then you're mine, that way while you're wearing that, people would see it and know someone already owns you...It's more like a promise ring." 

"Yeol, even without this, you know I'd be yours and yours only." 

"I know, but it makes me look forward for the day to come, when I can actually kneel down in front of you with a real marriage ring." 

Chanyeol grabbed the ring from the palm of Baekhyun's hands and turned it to place the ring on his finger. He smiled as he looked at the beautiful sight. 

He pulled at a chain hanging from his neck and on the bottom of the chain that had been hidden in his shirt was a ring, which looked similar if not the exact same from the one on Baekhyun's fingers. 

"I got them done, and see.." He turned the ring and inside, their initial was engraved in it with a love heart in between. "Just like the earphones I gave you before..except this time I actually bought it, not just something I could find in my closet. This I actually bought."

"Yeol, even if it was just a scrunched up piece of paper from the back of a random book, I'd still accept it with so much gratitude, because it came from YOU, it's not about how much it costs, and you know that. And also don't think too little of the earphones you gave me, because while we were apart it was the only thing that gave me strength."

"Whenever I listen to music I thought of you remember? Just like how you told me when you gave them to me." 

He looked Chanyeol intently in the eyes and caressed his cheeks.

"I love you Yeol! Happy First Date and Happy Promise Day." 

"Promise Day? I like that Baek. Just another reason to celebrate today for the rest of our lives." Chanyeol smiled brightly at Baekhyun.

"I love you more." 

-

It was getting really late and by the time they got home it was way past midnight, both males were really tired, yet they didn't want to sleep due to the events of that day. They were extremely happy and definitely satisfied with how the day ended.

They laid in bed that night closely holding eachother tight hoping that everyday would be just like that day. 

Chanyeol passed out before Baekhyun, he assumed that today would've been stressful and severely tiring for Chanyeol, preparing for a surprise and secret first date and the nerve racking wait for him to see his gift, he didn't wanna wake the male up even though he was wide awake and couldn't sleep due to the adrenaline still in his system.

When he knew that Chanyeol was deep in his sleep considering the slow rising of his chest and the slight whistling of his every breath, Baekhyun jerked his head up at the male, pulling his face back just a little bit to get a clearer view of Chanyeol. He caressed Chanyeol's cheeks and tracing his nose bridge and his lips with his thumb, he saw the metal on his finger glimmer slightly, he bought his hand closer to his face and smiled staring at the silver ring that fitted his fingers perfectly.

He gave Chanyeol a kiss on his nose and then lightly on his lips, he froze for a second when he thought that he had woken Chanyeol up from his deep slumber but immediately giggled silently to himself when he realized he hasn't when Chanyeol clicked his tongue and let out a light snore with his uneven breathing.

"I love you." Baekhyun whispered.

"I love you so so much, you pabo!" He repeated smiling so brightly as he closed his eyes with Chanyeol being the last thing on his mind.

Baekhyun had just dozed of when he heard his phone buzz next to him, he looked at his phone seeing the notification that interrupted his time with Chanyeol and essentially his sleep. He was going to ignore it but considering it was sent pretty late at night -well that's what he thought anyways-, he thought it would've had to be important. He pulled himself away from the warm hold of Chanyeol and reached for his phone. He moved to the bathroom to avoid waking the male sleeping soundly next to him with the bright flair from his phone.

He looked at the time to realize it was actually 5:04 in the morning. His eyebrows scrunched before opening the unfamiliar email, after clicking the mail his eyes widen and instead of feeling excited and happy he felt a sense of sadness as he looked out to watch the male sleeping innocently waiting for him back in his bed, what is he going to do now? 

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guyssss! This by far this the longest chapter I have ever written, 3500+ words. Essentially this was supposed to be the last chapter but there are still some loose ends I should address. *cough HunHan *cough...

To be quite honest, I don't know if I'm delivering as good of chapters to you guys anymore, I feel like I've lost the inspiration to write, and it's now becoming a chore? I'm really sorry guys if I'm not delivering well. The next chapter should be the last one. And I don't know when I'll get that out to be honest. 

In saying that, I still have a fanfic I have started that I really want to finish and share with you guys, so please anticipate it! 

Thank you to you guys who are still here and supporting this fic even after everything! I'm truly truly grateful ! 

Till next time chingus! <3 ~~