Leo, The Barista

Only U

                                       

 

*Class ended 10 minutes earlier... That means I'll have to wait for the guys this time.* Leo's class had apparently ended earlier than usual. He walked up to his locker to leave his books and waited around for N and Ken to finish their classes, leaning on the wall cooly while reading a comic book.

"Leo-oppa!" a familiar voice called. *Aish. It's that pest again.* Leo grumbled mentally. Kim Jina strode confidently to Leo, making sure she swung her hips ily, her heels clacking. Boys literally drooled at her sight.

"Oppa? Are you waiting for N and Ken?"  Jina asked in a sultry manner. Leo quickly moved away from her. *I can't even wait for my friends in peace now???*

Jina pouted but didn't give up. *I can't give up this easily. No, I won't.* She stood face-to-face with Leo. He didn't show it, but he was quite surprised by her sudden action. He looked at her coldly. 

"Look at me oppa, look at me closely." she whispered seductively as she blocked Leo's way. Leo glared at her. *H-he's scaring me... but if I get scared of him now, I won't be able to get him!* Jina thought as she looked back at Leo, trying her best not to look affected by his intense glare.

Leo crossed his arms nonchalantly. *She thinks I'll magically fall for her if we do something like this? That won't ever happen.* " off." He growled as he harshly pushed Jina's arm and walked away.

"Oppa!" Jina shrieked in annoyance. *This will not be our last meeting, Jung Leo! You're mine!*

 

 

Leo heaved a heavy sigh. He had decided to go home alone because he's too annoyed to stay in school. 

"Hyung, I'm going home first. Bad mood." Leo said and sent his voice message to N. *I have to go to work today, too.*

Leo found himself alone when he entered the dorm. *Ahh, that's right. N, Ken and I go home the earliest. The other kids will be home in about an hour* he looked at his watch. He quickly washed up, changed into his black, button-up, long sleeve and pants, and darted out of the dorm.

 


"Ah! Our handsome Leo is finally here!" The manager of the cafe Leo works in gleefully said. The cafe he's working in is located in a pretty secluded area in Seoul, thus it is not that well-known and visited by many customers. That's why Leo decided to work there. It's peaceful, the salary is pretty okay and he gets to drink his favorite beverage: Coffee, for free.

"Hello manager." Leo politely greeted and bowed. The manager lightly patted his back and smiled. "I'll leave everything to you, okay?" the manager said. Leo nodded politely and bid him farewell.

Leo looked around the cafe, like he does everytime, and saw that the customers were pretty much the same people. *It's still the ahjussis and ahjummas I'm familiar with.*

 


"Are you going home now, Minjung?" one of Minjung's classmates asked. Minjung had planned earlier this morning to start looking for a part time job.

Minjung nodded. "I am." Her classmates slumped in disappointment. *I know what you girls are up to.* she smiled inwardly.

"Let's go to the karaoke together!" One of her classmates whined. *I knew it!* Minjung thought. She shook her head no.

"I have to start looking for a job, you see, so I'm pretty busy this week." she sheepishly said. Minjung's classmates whined some more but let her go.

"I promise to come next time. I'm really sorry. See you on Monday!" Minjung waved good bye. She carefully walked around the city, trying not to miss any job opportunities posted. She bought a newspaper and started to look for the jobs section.

*Not this... this one either...* she thought as she crossed the jobs she couldn't take. She threw the newspaper away and started to walk again. *I couldn't find any jobs there...*

Minjung passed by a flower shop and saw an old woman, who was carrying a big vase and looked like she would fall over any minute. She quickly went inside and helped the old woman.

"Halmeoni, you shouldn't carry heavy things like this." Minjung said worriedly as they put the heavy vase down together. 
The old woman looked at her gratefully. "Thank you very much, agassi. I might have been in an accident if you hadn't helped. Thank you."

"You're welcome, halmeoni. Do you need any more help?" Minjung asked kindly as she looked around the shop. The old woman smiled and shook her head no. 

"Well then, I'll be going. Take care halmeoni." Minjung was about to go when the old woman called her. "Agassi? What's your name?"

Minjung turned around. "My name is Ryu Minjung." she said. The old woman went up to her and held her hand.

"I can't just let you go home like this. Would you like some tea?" the old woman offered. Minjung was a bit unsure and was about to decline her offer. *I don't think I should, though... I still need to look around for a job...*

The old woman held her hand tighter. "Please? I should at least repay you for your help earlier." Minjung looked at the pleading old woman and finally agreed, though still a bit unsure. "Okay..."

"What are you still doing walking around the streets, Minjung? Were you on your way home?" the old woman asked as she poured tea on Minjung's cup. Minjung shook her head.

"No, I was looking for a job." she politely answered and took a sip of her tea. The old woman looked at her thoughtfully. *She's looking for a job?* "What for?" the old woman asked again.

"I came here from Busan, with my parents' help. I thought that I should start earning money on my own so I could start living independently." Minjung said as she munched on a biscuit. She got quite hungry from all that walking.

The old woman pondered for a bit and looked at Minjung. *I needed someone to take care of my shop anyway*

"Minjung? Why don't you work here?" the old woman smiled at her kindly.  Minjung's eyes widened in surprise. *Is she serious?!* "Halmeoni..."

The old woman chuckled. "I'd like it if you'd work here and help me. I think you'd be a great assistant." 

*This is not a dream right?!* Minjung's face brightened and she hugged the old woman tightly. "Thank you, halmeoni! Thank you so much!" 

"Just call me Malja-halmeoni, Minjung." the old woman said. Minjung beamed happily. "Ne, Malja-halmeoni. I'll work very hard!" Malja-halmeoni laughed at Minjung, delighted to finally have her work in the shop.

 


Minjung talked to Malja-halmeoni for a few more hours and sent her home. She looked at her watch. *It's nearly 10 PM... I should head home now. The flower shop's a bit far from my house... I should start adjusting...* she thought. Suddenly, Minjung smelled something very aromatic as she walked her way to the bus stop.

*Where did that smell come from???* Minjung tried to follow the source of the aromatic smell and ended up in front of a small cafe. *This is where it came from?* Minjung looked up for signs that said what it was, but there was none. *Weird.*

Minjung quietly went inside and found herself alone. *Aren't there any customers here?* She looked around the cafe and sure enough, she was alone. *They must be closing already... But it seems like someone is still making coffee...* Minjung looked around again and found someone at the counter, with his back facing her.

"Excuse me..?" Minjung hesitantly called. The man turned around quickly. 

"Yes---"

Two pairs of eyes widened in surprise.