Chapter 8

The Old & The New

“How did you get your eyes injured, Miss Im?”

Jessica was biting her lower lip. She was feeling guilty that Yoona’s eyes were turning completely red. Jessica initially thought Yoona’s blood vessels burst or something. She rushed the poor lady to the hospital immediately.

But she was surprised when Yoona told a lie.

“I fell and suddenly poked my eyes into them.”

“Ah, I see. Your blood vessels didn’t burst. But you have to wear these eye protector goggles for a week so that they can recuperate. You should be fine after a week. We will check on you again for a follow up treatment.”

“Thanks, doctor.”

“Just be careful in the future, okay?”

“I will.”

The doctor allowed Yoona to go home and Jessica immediately took the initiative to hold Yoona’s arms. The other lady was taken aback.

“Her eyes will be fine, doctor?”

Jessica quickly asked.

“For the meantime, they should be fine. But we have to be sure. Please make sure she comes back for her medical in a week’s time. We will have further checks to see if her eyes are perfectly fine.”

“Okay, I’ll do that.”

Jessica was satisfied with the answers and gently helped Yoona out. The lady was already wearing her eye protection goggles. Jessica stared at her.

“What?”

Yoona was feeling uneasy when Jessica’s eyes were on her.

“Why did you lie to the doctor?”

“And what? Tell him that you poked my eyes with your fingers?”

“I thought you would.”

“I don’t want to make it look so stupid. Anyway my eyes are fine so you don’t have to worry.”

“I don’t think I can do that. I’ll pay for everything.”

“You should.”

“Yeah, I know. Sit here. I’ll get your medicine.”

Jessica sat Yoona down on the seat as she made her way to the pharmacy counter. Just then, Soo Young appeared with Hyoyeon. They saw Yoona first.

“Yoona!”

Yoona turned and Hyoyeon was trying hard not to laugh.

“Shut up.”

“Are you alright? Why are you wearing that?”

“Your boss poked my eyes with her fingers. What do you think?”

“What the hell did that happen?”

“Ask her?”

“Where’s she anyway?”

“She went to pay for my medicine.”

“Oh?”

Soo Young was surprised. Shortly, Jessica appeared in front of them with the medicine in her hands.

“You’re here.”

“Yes, but do you mind telling me what happened?”

Soo Young took turns to look at Jessica and then Yoona. Hyoyeon was just looking on; she was busy controlling her laughter. Yoona looked so funnily weird in those goggles.

“Stop laughing.”

“I’m not.”

“Your insides are laughing. I can see your body literally shaking.”

“Yoona, I’m sorry but you look so damn funny in those things.”

Yoona rolled her eyes but they hurt so much. She winced.

“Hey, are you alright?”

Surprisingly, Jessica was the first to come forward and showed her concern. Soo Young was looking at Hyoyeon who was equally stunned at Jessica’s reaction. Then both started grinning at each other.

“What’s with that grin?”

Jessica saw it.

“You’re showing so much concern for my friend.”

“I’m feeling guilty. It’s almost obvious that I’m concerned.”

“So are you going to look after her then?”

Hyoyeon suddenly asked.

“What?”

Both Yoona and Jessica asked at the same time.

“That’s a good idea. Since Hyoyeon and myself are working, maybe Jessica can look after Yoona.”

“Hey, I have to work too!”

“But you hurt Yoona’s eyes.”

Jessica frowned. And Yoona was protesting.

“I can take good care of myself!”

“Oh no, you don’t. You’re just like a baby when you’re sick. People have to do things for you.”

“That’s not true!”

“Remember when you have high fever?”

“What? What did I do?”

Soo Young rolled her eyes.

“You were whining every ten minutes.”

“You’re supposed to be my best friend!”

“I have your interests at heart.”

“No, you’re conveniently dumping me!”

“Well, my boss is feeling guilty. Wouldn’t it be better that she looks after you until you get well?”

“She doesn’t have to!”

“You know what, Soo Young’s right. I can look after you.”

Yoona spun her head around and stared at Jessica with wide open.

“Are you insane?”

“No, I can look after you. I have to clear last year’s leave anyway. I can apply for two weeks of leave.”

“And I’m sure Miss Kim will agree.”

Jessica smacked Soo Young on her back.

“I’m just taking care of her. There’s nothing else in between.”

“Yeah, that’s right! We hate each other so much.”

Soo Young nodded her head along but she was certain something could happen.

“We’ll see.”

Soo Young whispered softly. And Hyoyeon agreed with her girlfriend.

-

“You only have one room.”

“So?”

“So where am I going to sleep?”

“You can sleep on my bed.”

“And where will you be sleeping?”

“Don’t worry; I’ll just sleep on the sofa. It’s a sofa bed actually.”

“You’re kidding.”

“No, just shut up and rest on my bed. I’ll make some tea.”

“On a second thought, can I sleep on the sofa bed instead?”

“What’s wrong with my bed?”

“Memories.”

“Memories of what?”

“In case you accuse me of making you pregnant or something.”

“You’re ridiculously whiny. Just stay on my bed before I poke your ears or something.”

Yoona quickly covered her ears. Jessica rolled her eyes but nevertheless pushed her gently to her bed. She pulled the blanket over Yoona’s legs and then carefully prepped the pillow up against her bed rest.

“Here, stay comfortable. I’ll make you some tea and porridge.”

“Okay.”

“I’ll be back.”

Jessica left the room quickly and left Yoona alone. For some reason, Yoona felt uneasy. This was the same room she had with the cucumber hater. But she couldn’t remember in details. She was increasingly frustrated that her alcohol intoxication was maiming her memories.

She looked around the room; she was surprised to find how big the room was. She has never realized that. The design was unique and contemporary.

“This lady has a good design sense.”

Yoona scrutinized the room and realized that the room looked spacious because Jessica was really making use of in-built shelves to minimise the space usage.

“Yoona, do you prefer chicken or fish?”

Yoona turned to find Jessica standing at the doorway. She looked up and was taken aback to find Jessica’s concerned eyes gazing at her.

“Huh? What?”

“Are you alright?”

“Yes, I was just stoning.”

“Your eyes seem red. Have you worn the eye-drop yet?”

“No, the medicine bag is with you.”

“Oh, that’s right. I’ll be back.”

Jessica managed a quick smile before disappearing again. Yoona was stunned when her heart skipped a beat.

“What the hell. Why is my heart beating so rapidly after seeing her smile? This is insane!”

Yoona hit her chest a couple of times.

-

Jessica was cutting the carrots into tiny pieces. She kept an eye on the porridge in the pot. Honestly, Jessica hasn’t cooked porridge before. She had to rely on the recipe from the internet.

“This looks easy.”

Jessica stirred the porridge in the pot. Suddenly her fingers accidentally touched the hot pot.

“Ouch!!”

She screamed out instantly.

“What? What happened?”

Yoona came running from the room. She rushed to the kitchen; Jessica was holding on to her burnt fingers and sat in a daze.

“What did you do?”

“I accidentally touched the hot pot.”

Yoona quickly grabbed Jessica’s hands and turned the tap on. She let the burnt area ran under the running water. Jessica was tearing up as her redden fingers seemed to swell.

“Do you have a first aid kit?”

“Yeah, it’s in my living room at the television cabinet.”

“Okay, wait here.”

Yoona ran off and quickly returned with the first aid kit. Fortunately, Jessica’s first aid box was completed with emergency medical needs including for burns. She gently took Jessica’s hand and turned off the tap. She let the lady to the dining table and sat her down.

“Does it still hurt?”

Jessica nodded obediently.

“Luckily there are no bubbles. I will put the medicine over your burns okay? It might sting so if it hurts, just hold on to my arm tightly.”

Yoona took the dry hand towel and wiped Jessica’s fingers dry. She was careful with her movements as to not aggravate the pain. She then gently took the cotton swabs and swiped an adequate amount of medicine. She blew on Jessica’s fingers and swiped the medicine.

Jessica winced and pulled her hand back but Yoona was quick to hold on tightly. Jessica gripped Yoona’s arm tightly. Yoona bit her lower lip as she tried to be as gentle as she could.

“I’m sorry; but it’s going to be over soon, alright?”

Jessica nodded but her eyes were closed shut. Yoona realized that Jessica has a low threshold for pain so she quickly wrapped the burnt area with a plaster that is meant for burns.

“There, it’s over.”

Yoona turned to look at Jessica whose eyes were already so red and watery. Her heart ached a little and without realizing; she pulled the older girl closer to her. She hugged her tightly. Jessica, on the other hand, was paralyzed by the pain; accepted the comforting hug and wrapped her arms around Yoona tightly.

“Don’t cry. It will get well.”

“I’m sorry.”

“Why are you apologizing?”

“I couldn’t even cook porridge properly.”

Yoona chuckled softly. Jessica pouted her lips slightly. Yoona thought she was so adorable when she did that.

“Not all ladies can cook.”

“Are you laughing at me?”

“No, I guess you’re one of those special ladies who cannot cook for nuts.”

“You’re laughing at me!”

“I’m sorry, I just love teasing you. It makes me feel happy.”

“Shut up.”

“Hehe! Oh well, let’s eat out. Your left hand is paralyzed now.”

“Shut up.”

Yoona just pulled her closer and Jessica just buried her face into Yoona’s shoulders. Both were aware that they were hugging each other but it was just too comfortable.

And both wanted to stay like that for a longer period of time.

-

“You hugged her?”

Soo Young was staring at Yoona.

“What?”

“You were hugging my boss?”

“She burnt her fingers.”

“Oh, so there’s a valid reason.”

“Just shut up. She was tearing up. I just wanted to comfort her.”

Soo Young grinned. Yoona rolled her eyes.

“So how is she feeling now? This is so ironic. Wasn’t she supposed to be looking after you?”

“I don’t know. I’m fine anyway. But your boss needs someone.”

“She had someone for 10 years until that person chose to leave.”

“You mean Tiffany?”

“Yeah, it was just so stupid. How could you leave someone just like that after 10 years living together?”

Yoona shrugged. Yuri left her after five years and it hurt like hell. So Yoona couldn’t imagine how Jessica felt at the point of time.

“But I’m so glad my boss is taking it easy.”

“Or she might be hiding her pain inside.”

“Just like you are now?”

“Don’t go there. I’m not ready to shed tears for that person anymore.”

“Yoona, it’s time for you to open up your heart to someone new.”

Yoona stared ahead. She wondered if she could ever do that.

“I don’t know, Soo Young. I still love her.”

“You mean Yuri?”

“Yes, my feelings for her are still lingering deep down in my heart. I told her I couldn’t forgive her but I just did every time I miss her. If I could turn back the hands of time, I won’t let her get closer to Tiffany. Does Jessica know that her ex-girlfriend is now with my ex?”

“I don’t think she’s aware of it. I don’t know if I should break it to her.”

“I think you better not do that. Between me and her, she’s more fragile. Normally ladies like her appear strong on the outside but vulnerable on her inside.”

Soo Young was surprised that Yoona could read Jessica so easily. Jessica was very protective of her own personality. She won’t show it out so easily. It took Soo Young two years before Jessica learnt to trust her as her trusted assistant.

“Wow, you’re amazing.”

“What?”

“You know Jessica well.”

“Shut up. It’s given. She’s a typical lady like that.”

“Really? Jessica is very private person. There’s no way that ice queen will allow you to penetrate into her deep down secrets.”

“Are you serious?”

“Yes! It took me two years before that woman trusts me as her assistant!”

Yoona shrugged her shoulders and turned back to her ice coffee while Soo Young smiled to herself.

“Im Yoona, you’re the perfect one for Jessica Jung. Why can’t you just realize it?”

-

“Krystal, where are you?”

“I’m in the room with Amber.”

“Okay, are you busy straddling your girlfriend?”

“No! She’s sleeping but I’m half though. Where are you?”

“I’m just outside your door and please wear something before you open your damn door.”

“Sheesh, fine. Wait for me. I’ll be out in a jiffy.”

Jessica went to look for her little sister who lives with her long-time girlfriend just across the city. She took a long drive and somehow found herself in her sister’s town. So she decided to visit her without informing her in advance.

“Thanks for the let up. You could inform me earlier.”

“I was just driving around and landed here. Am I not welcome here?”

“I didn’t mean like that. And why are you driving around? Did someone hurt you? Is it Tiffany unnie?”

“No, she… oh never mind. I was busy with work.”

Jessica hasn’t heard of that name for the longest time. She tried to put that name buried deep down in her heart. She wished Krystal would be a little more sensitive but she couldn’t blame Krystal. Her little sister has been protective of her ever since Tiffany walked out of her life.

“Coffee?”

“No, just a glass of water will do.”

“Okay.”

Krystal disappeared into the kitchen and returned with a glass of water. She had a plate of fruits too. She put them on the coffee table and sat across her big sister. She glanced down and saw the plaster.

“What happened to your hand?”

“Oh, this?”

Jessica lifted it up.

“Yeah.”

“I got burnt while making porridge.”

Krystal’s eyes grew larger. When did her big sister cook?!

“You cooked?!”

“Do you have to enlarge your eyeballs like that?”

“Unnie, you never cook. Not even for me when I’m sick!”

“Oh.”

“And hell, you will never cook for yourself!”

“Fine, I cooked for someone else.”

Krystal stood up in excitement.

“You found someone new?!”

“No! She’s just a friend.”

“A friend?! And you cooked?! Hey, I’m your flesh and blood sister but you never cook for me!”

Jessica suddenly realized it could be a big mistake for coming here tonight. Her sister would squeeze the truth out of her.

“Unnie, you’re bias!”

“No, I’m not! I was just feeling guilty.”

“Guilty?”

Jessica bit her lower lip.

“I poked her eyes with my fingers.”

“WHAT?! WHY?!”

“Because she saw me half .”

“OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

-