Chapter 26

The Old & The New

“IM YOONA!”

“Why are you “IM YOONA” me for?”

“WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU NOW?”

Judging from Soo Young’s shaky voice, Yoona could deduce that Soo Young was trying hard not to cry.

“Wait, did Seohyun told you about my plan?”

“WHAT DO YOU THINK!? AND WE THOUGHT YOU PERISHED IN THAT DAMN FLIGHT!”

Yoona bit her lower lip. She has a long explanation to do.

“Where are you now?”

“I’m at the airport.”

“Meet me at the café near to Jessica’s place.”

“You’re still alive, right?”

Yoona rolled her eyes.

“You have been talking to me for the last five minutes. What do you think?”

“Yoona, please tell me I’m not dreaming.”

“No, you’re not. I’ll see you in half an hour.”

Yoona hung up immediately and sighed.  She has never expected that ill-fated flight was the flight she should be flying to US. If not for Grandmother Park, she would have died alongside the other passengers as well. Yoona was stunned upon realization.

“Oh my god, I could have been dead now.”

-

Soo Young and Hyoyeon were already at the coffee shop with Taeyeon as well. Yoona sighed as she approached them cautiously. But Soo Young didn’t wait. She ran up to her and pulled her into a tight hug. She even burst into tears.

“Hey, I’m here. Don’t cry.”

“You have no idea how scared I was. You have no idea how worried I was. You have no ing idea how devastated I was when I saw the news. It was so difficult to breath, Yoona. I almost died when I heard about the plane crash!”

Yoona bit her lower lip; tears were b in her eyes.

“I’m sorry. I just realized how fortunate I am now. I could have been dead by now, Soo Young but I’m so glad to be right here with you; with Hyoyeon unnie and Taeyeon.”

“Yoona, I’m so glad to see you right now. You’re still breathing. That’s more important, Yoona!”

Taeyeon was caressing her back gently. Hyoyeon could only smile before leaning closer and wrapped her arms around Soo Young and Yoona together. The three girls cried in each other’s arms while Taeyeon discreetly wiped hers away.

Suddenly Soo Young pulled herself away from Yoona and then stared at her. Yoona swallowed hard. She knew she was going to be in trouble.  True enough, Soo Young smacked her forehead.

“Ow?”

“What were you planning to do?”

“What?”

“Why did you attempt to do a disappearing act?”

“I wasn’t thinking straight!”

“And you stupid woman, you think Seohyun wouldn’t inform us?”

“I told you I wasn’t thinking straight!”

“Where did you go? Why aren’t you on board the plane?”

“Firstly, I forgot my passport. Secondly, my grandmother fell at her home so I rushed all the way to the countryside to send her to the hospital.”

“What?!”

“Yes, I wasn’t thinking straight.”

Yoona was sitting; waiting to check in. She looked at the time and then sighed loudly. Her eyes were completely red; she was obviously crying for the past few nights. Jessica refused to talk to her. The announcement was made for the last call to check in for her flight and Yoona got up on her feet. She dragged her luggage and queued. She found her boarding pass and started digging her bag for her passport. She couldn’t find it.

“What the heck.”

She fell out of the queue and started digging again. She could only find her wallet and all other personal items but not her passport. She went back to her sitting area and looked around – there was no sign of her passport.

“Geez! Don’t tell me I forgot!”

Yoona suddenly remembered. She was rushing out to avoid Soo Young and she has placed her passport on her bed. She slapped her forehead.

“Oh great, how stupid can you be, Im Yoona!”

Yoona had to give up on this flight. She rolled her eyes and dragged her luggage towards the taxi stand. She was waiting for a cab when Taecyeon called her. Taecyeon literally grew up with Yoona as they went to the same school together. She answered immediately.

“Yes oppa?”

“IM YOONA! YOUR GRANDMOTHER FELL!”

“WHAT?!”

“HURRY UP! I’M ON MY WAY THERE!”

“OKAY! I’LL BE THERE TOO!”

So Yoona abandoned her ideas and rushed to her grandmother instead. She has forgotten to inform about Seohyun and soon led into such big mess causing so much pain for poor Jessica.

-

“…………………………..”

“What?”

The three ladies stared at Yoona in disbelief. They just couldn’t believe how stupid they could get and Yoona was fine all the while.  They wanted to kill her immediately.

“YOU ALMOST CAUSED THE WHOLE WORLD TO TURN UPSIDE DOWN, YOU KNOW THAT!?”

“I’M SORRY! I NEVER EXPECT SUCH BIG THING TO HAPPEN!”

“I’M SO GOING TO KILL YOU RIGHT NOW!”

Soo Young was already reaching out for Yoona but the lady managed to duck her. Taeyeon smacked Yoona on the forehead before moving aside to let Soo Young through.

“Hey!”

“This is for making Jessica cry buckets!”

Yoona stopped struggling and Soo Young managed to grab hold of her. She was strangling Yoona but the lady remained still.

“Why aren’t you fighting back now?”

“How’s Jessica?”

Yoona’s voice was fading at the end of the question. Taeyeon sighed and Soo Young strangled her tighter.

“She was so upset! What do you think?”

“Huh?”

“Stupid woman, you know she loves you, right?”

“She pushed me away. She said we can never be together anymore.”

“Im Yoona, even though she did, why didn’t you stay on to fight for your love; for your heart; for her?”

“I didn’t want to provoke her further. She was clearly upset with me about Tiffany. She said she hates me so much that she couldn’t look at me in the eyes. I know she didn’t mean her words but I was upset too.”

Soo Young slowly let go of her neck and Taeyeon was sitting closer to her.

“I went over to her house. I wanted to talk things out. She kept pushing me away. She said our relationship is not meant to be.”

Hyoyeon looked on and then sighed.

“She was confused. It was a rude shock for her to meet Tiffany again. But you know what, she almost died when she heard the plane crashed.”

Yoona’s eyes grew larger.

“She died the very same night when we thought you perished in the crash.”

Yoona’s heart ached badly.

“I’m sure she has cried a river for you since last night.”

“But why did she cry?”

“Im Yoona, are you stupid or what?!”

“Stop calling me stupid. I’m already stupid I know! You don’t have to add on!”

“The reason why she cried a river because she still loves you!”

Yoona bit her lower lip. Honestly, she felt relieved and hopeful to hear that.

“Is that the truth?”

“Yes, Yoona. And did you forget Yuri?”

Yoona sighed.  She shook her head.

“Yuri was equally devastated but she couldn’t express it out to us. She prefers to be alone and there were times where she would go missing and Tiffany would find her drinking away at the playground nearby.”

“I don’t know but I have this feeling that Yuri still cares a lot about you.”

“She does but she chose Tiffany.”

“Why didn’t you fight for her back then?”

Yoona smiled.

“I’ve always known she loves Tiffany more than me.”

“Then how about Jessica? What are you going to do with her?”

Yoona frowned and then stared at the three ladies.

“Can I do something?”

“What do you want to do now?”

“Let’s throw a surprise for her.”

“YA! You’re not going to show up in the middle of your “funeral service” right?”

Yoona rolled her eyes at Soo Young.

“No, I’m not! And what funeral service?! My family will kill me!”

“Oh, that’s right.”

“Choi Soo Young, you’ve the weirdest ideas and I wonder why I love you.”

“Hyoyeon baby, you’re practically stuck with me.”

“Ah, shut up.”

Taeyeon was thinking before speaking up.

“I think it’s a good idea.”

“BOSS!”

“Jessica Jung is always that cool woman in the office. I just want to see what she will do if we confirm Yoona’s “death”.”

“Taeyeon, you’re equally evil!”

“Choi Soo Young, are you in or out?”

“I’m IN!”

“She’s asking CHOI SOO YOUNG, NOT KIM HYOYEON!”

“Baby, it’s 3 against 1. Are you in or not?”

Soo Young gave up. There was no way she could avoid this.

-

“Okay, someone has to ask for Tiffany to meet us here.”

“And what are you going to say?”

“Eh wait, Hyoyeon unnie, can you find Seohyun and tell her I’m still alive?”

“I already did. She said she’s going to kill you when she’s back in Seoul.”

“Oh great, there’s another one who wants my life.”

“And the first would be?”

“Jessica Jung definitely.”

“Then why are we doing this?!”

“Shut up Soo Young, it’s just to teach Jessica a lesson.”

“If she’s going to ignore you, Yoona, you’ll be on your own.”

“JUST GET TIFFANY OUT HERE!”

“Taeyeon seems to be more excited.”

“I’m sorry. I’m born half evil; half saint.”

“Boss, you’re born as a dork. No such evil or saint in your life.”

“I’m going to cut your pay.”

“NOOOOOOOOO!”

“So is anyone going to call Tiffany now?”

Everyone looked at Soo Young. She glared at them.

“WHY ME?!”

“You’re supposed to update Tiffany about Yoona’s situation.”

Taeyeon reminded her.

“Urgh~ I hate you girls, REALLY ALOT. ESPECIALL YOU, IM YOONA!”

Yoona stuck her tongue out.

“What am I supposed to say to her?”

“Just say you found out something and it’s not convenient to tell her on the phone. And you don’t want to let the girls find out either.”

“Kid, you’re a genius!”

Taeyeon was impressed at how Yoona was planning this meticulously. Soo Young rolled her eyes. She took out her phone nevertheless and dialled for Tiffany’s number. The girl answered immediately.

“Soo Young?”

“Fany ah, how are the girls?”

“Both are sleeping. They got tired of crying.”

Soo Young glared at Yoona. The girl shrugged her shoulders.

“Fany ah, can you meet me at the lift lobby?”

“Why? Is there something wrong?”

“It’s more convenient if we talk outside.”

“Soo Young, is.. is Yoona gone?”

Soo Young swallowed hard. She turned to look at Yoona who was feeling guilty but she wanted to do this so badly. She nodded her head.

“Fany ah, just meet me here first. I’ll tell you.”

“Okay, I’ll come out now.”

-

Tiffany was loss for words when she saw Yoona standing in front of her instead of Soo Young. She just couldn’t believe her eyes that Im Yoona was still alive; kicking and breathing. She tried to get up from her wheelchair but Yoona dived for her straightaway. The younger girl held her tightly in her arms.

“What are you trying to do?”

“Yoona, you’re alive! You’re warm!”

“Yes, unnie. I am. I’m not dead yet.”

“I knew you would still be alive! I don’t believe you would leave us just like that.”

Yoona was taken aback.

“I told Jessica and Yuri not to give up on you. As long as they didn’t find your body, you’re still alive. And I know my sixth sense was right!”

“You really believe that I was still alive?”

“Of course! I’m not saying it just because you’re so important to Jessica but because I believe you wouldn’t give up on Jessica just as yet. Jessica’s a stubborn lady but I know you will return back to her.”

Yoona’s tears were already b in her eyes. Tiffany knew her so well. How could she know her so well?

“Yuri told me about you. There are times where she couldn’t take it anymore, she’ll talk about you. I know all these problems are caused by me. I’m selfish enough to hold on to Yuri and also refuse to let Jessica go at the same time. But now I know, I know where I stand in Jessica’s heart. Yuri has been by my side and she sacrificed too much to keep me going; keep me moving on in life.”

“Fany unnie, Yuri loves you. Yes, she loves me but deep down inside, she loves you even more than her own life. She’s willing to give up on everything in her life just to stay by your side; i think she’s worth more than just this. And I didn’t give her up to let her live like this. I know you still care about Jessica but please, unnie. Let me do that instead. I’ll take good care of Jessica. I’ll love her better and I’ll always stay by her side.”

Tiffany nodded as tears fell from the corner of her eyes.

“But I need you to promise me something.”

“What is it, Yoona?”

“Please, please love Yuri like how you love Jessica.”

Tiffany’s lips curled into a small smile. She nodded.

“Consider it done, Yoona.”

“Thanks unnie. But there’s one more thing that I need you to do for me.”

“What is it?”

Yoona looked at Tiffany; Soo Young and the rest appeared in front of her. They were grinning at her.

“What’s with that grin?”

“This is what I want to do.”

-

Tiffany narrowed her eyes at Yoona.

“Please unnieee?”

“What if Jessica kill you after she found out?”

“It’s okay; I’ll let her do it.”

“But my Yuri is going to get hurt too!”

Your Yuri?”

“I don’t like to see her cry. She has been crying over you.”

“Okay fine; let’s put Yuri out of this. Maybe we can call Yuri out now?”

“So what? This joke is on Jessica only?”

“I guess so. Tiffany is protective of Yuri.”

Tiffany looked on and then she smiled.

“I got a better idea. Let’s do this.”

-

Yuri was waking up from her sleep. She sat up in confusion as she scanned around her room.

“Tiffany?”

She got out from the bed and went out of the room. The living room was empty. She went over to Jessica’s room; the lady was still sleeping. But Tiffany was still missing.

“Where is this girl?”

Yuri went back to the washroom and washed up a little. She changed into more comfortable clothing before digging for her phone in her bag. Suddenly the phone rang and it was Soo Young’s number.

“Soo Young?”

Yuri answered it immediately.

“YURI! COME DOWN! QUICK!”

“Huh? Why? What happened?”

“It’s about Yoona!”

“What’s wrong with Yoona?! Why did you find out?”

“Just come down, please? I’ll let you know. I don’t want Jessica to know first. I’ll break the news to you first.”

Yuri’s world crashed immediately. It must be bad news.

“Yuri, can you come down now?”

“I’ll be right down.”

Yuri’s hands were shaking like mad. She gathered her stuff and quickly made her way down. Her heart was thumping like crazy and her tears kept b in her eyes.

“Yoona, please don’t tell me you’re gone. Please Yoona, don’t do this to me.”

Yuri’s heart couldn’t stop aching.

-