Chapter 4

The Old & The New

“This is so delicious.”

Jessica was slurping the hot soup from the ball much to Yoona’s amusement.

“Woah, slow down. It’s hot.”

“But it’s really good!”

“How long have you not had home cooked food?”

“I don’t really cook. My ex doesn’t either. So we ate out most of the time.”

“Seriously, that’s sad. I enjoy cooking.”

“Are you sure you’re an architect?”

“Why?”

“You should cook.”

Yoona chuckled softly before sipping her water from the glass. She made herself fried kimchi rice with egg and made a beef-minced porridge including some soup. Jessica was eating well.

“Are you feeling better now?”

“Yes, thanks.”

Yoona looked at the time on the clock and got up promptly. Jessica’s eyes followed her as she ate her porridge diligently. She was wondering where Yoona was heading to now. Yoona appeared shortly with a glass of water in her left hand and a white plastic bag in her right hand.

“What is that?”

“Medicine. It’s time to eat your medicine.”

“Urgh.”

“What’s with that expression?”

“I hate medicine.”

“You have to eat it if you want to get well.”

Jessica looked up and saw Yoona’s sincere eyes. They were filled with concern and Jessica was obliged to take the medicine. She popped the pills into and Yoona gave her the glass of water. Once done, she took the glass from Jessica’s hand and the empty plates on the table.

“You rest there. I bought some fruits. I’ll cut them up for you.”

Yoona disappeared into the kitchen once again and Jessica could hear the water gushing out probably from the tap. Jessica looked around her house; it was clean. Yoona apparently helped to clear out her dirty clothes and even did the laundry. Well, she had the excuse because she needed to wash her dirty clothes.

“Do you eat grapes?”

“Yes I do.”

“Okay.”

Yoona re-appeared again with a plate of grapes and sat beside Jessica. 

“Thanks Yoona.”

Jessica thanked the girl as she got herself comfortable.

“Hmm?”

“For taking care of me.”

“I was responsible for it.”

“You didn’t know.”

“Nah, it’s okay. You’re living alone. I’ll feel better if I could look after you.”

Jessica was surprised with Yoona’s words. She felt warmth seeding from the bottom of her hard-cold heart. It was a nice feeling.

“I don’t understand why we had a bad start.”

Yoona suddenly spoke up again. Jessica was shrugging her shoulders as well.

“I mean you’re nice. And I have to admit. I had a good time that night.”

“Are you going to have this conversation again?”

“No, I mean my impression of you is slowly getting better. I know I don’t leave a good impression. I admit; I’m a choding.”

“Nah, I think you’re nice too. You take good care of people.”

“I do? Well, I like taking care of others. It makes me feel good.”

“Yeah, it makes me feel good too.”

The two just sat in silence; staring at each other. The air was a little weird and Jessica suddenly found herself attracted to Yoona’s aura. She suddenly thought Yoona was incredibly beautiful and y like this – up close and personal.

Yoona, on the other hand, was taken in by Jessica’s warm smile. She could only remember Jessica being a cold-hearted on the first few meetings. But Jessica was just like every girl out there – she was vulnerable when she needed somebody. Yoona had the urge to be there for her.

The piercing stare was no longer deep but more endearing and benevolent kind of look. It was so creepy the way their eyes talked to each other; their hearts were beating faster and faster and somehow their lips were calling out for each other.

Suddenly a loud ringing tone was blasting in the background – someone’s phone was ringing.

“Ah, that’s mine. I better take it.”

Yoona stood up immediately and Jessica looked away. It was just so weird.

“OH MY GOD! I FORGOT! I’LL RUSH THERE NOW!”

Yoona was startled when she looked at the time. She was supposed to have a meeting with her client but totally forgotten about it.

“I have to go now. You’ll be fine on your own?”

“Yeah, is anything wrong?”

“Nah, I forgot about my appointment. I have to go now. You take care. There is still some porridge in the pot. You can finish it later when you’re hungry.”

“Okay, thanks Yoona.”

Jessica was walking Yoona to the door. Both girls shook hands together and Yoona ran off quickly. Jessica closed the door behind her and leaned against it.

“What the hell. Why is my heart beating so fast when Yoona was shaking my hand?”

Jessica was flabbergasted.

-