Chapter 10

The Old & The New

Yoona was busy making breakfast when the doorbell rang. She wiped her hands dry on her apron before making her way to the door. Taeyeon was at the front door.  She frowned slightly.

“Good morning, Yoona.”

“You’re early.”

“Yeah, I’m on my way to work actually. I’m just here to check on Jessica.”

“Oh, she’s still sleeping but nevertheless come in.”

Taeyeon walked in and went straight into Jessica’s room. Yoona was still standing at the door and she wondered why her heart suddenly felt weird about Taeyeon’s visit.

“Why am I so concerned that Taeyeon unnie’s here? She’s her boss. Im Yoona, you’re just so nonsensical sometimes.”

Yoona shrugged her uneasiness feeling inside and went back to the kitchen.  She was making coffee when she saw the tiffin carriers at the side of the kitchen.

“Oh, Seohyun.. , I have to do something about yesterday.”

Yoona decided to call Seohyun. Seohyun was probably embarrassed about yesterday.

-

Jessica felt a hand on her forehead. She whined a little before slowly opening her eyes. She was taken aback to find her boss’s face was peering into hers.

“Taeyeon?”

“Hey, are you feeling better now?”

“What happened? Where am I?”

Jessica got up slowly and Taeyeon helped her. Her head was spinning like a turning wheel and felt extremely dry and it was burning. Taeyeon pulled out a flask from her bag and poured a honeyed drink into a cup.

“Here, drink this.”

“Thanks.”

Jessica took a sip and put it away. She finally was aware of her surroundings. She was in her own room.

“Is this my place?”

“Yes, I brought you home last night. You were drunk.”

“Oh? Thanks, Taeyeon.”

Jessica glanced to her side and found her bed was empty. She frowned.

“Where’s Yoona?”

“She’s at the kitchen. Are you alright? You seemed so down yesterday.”

Taeyeon was worried and Jessica could see those concerned eyes boring into hers. Jessica felt a little uneasy but Taeyeon was her boss. She couldn’t be rude to her.

“I’m fine.”

“Are you sure? I was so worried about you last night.”

Jessica looked up. She wondered why Taeyeon said that.

“I’m really okay, Taeyeon.”

“I care about you.”

Jessica was stunned.

“In fact, I really like you.”

“What?”

“From the first time I saw you, my heart was telling me that you could be the one for me. You’re so beautiful and you’re just what I want in my girl.”

“Taeyeon..”

“I’m not asking you to agree now. I would love to get to know you better. So is it okay if I take good care of you from now own?”

Jessica was speechless. She didn’t expect this coming. And another person was glued to the front door. She wanted to give Taeyeon a cup of coffee but only to stumble upon an honest confession.

But why did her heart sink so quickly after hearing the confession?

“What the hell.”

Yoona couldn’t decipher why.

-

“Yoona, I’m sorry for last night.”

“It’s okay, Seohyun.”

“No, I’m really sorry for last night.”

“What do you mean?”

Seohyun took a deep breath before she decided to confess.

“Yoona, I didn’t kiss you just because I wanted to.”

Yoona kept silent.

“I like you. You’re the first person who could make my heart pump like crazy. I feel so comfortable being with you. You’re just so easy to be with. I know it’s too early but I really like you a lot.”

“Seohyun…”

“Just give me a chance to get to know you better. We will take things easy.”

“But Seohyun..”

“I don’t mind your past. If you need time to get over your ex-girlfriend, I’ll let you take your time. I promise I’ll take good care of you.  And I’ll never hurt you.”

Yoona was perplexed over the phone call with Seohyun earlier on. She was even more vexed when she thought of Taeyeon’s confession to Jessica. She didn’t know why she was feeling even more frustrated with Jessica than Seohyun.

“Bleah.”

Yoona gave up. She went into the kitchen and found Jessica was drinking her coffee. Taeyeon has long gone because she had to work. Yoona looked at her briefly before making her presence.

“Hey.”

Jessica looked up and smiled.

“Hey to you back.”

“Are you hungry?”

Jessica nodded her head.

“I made something for you this morning. It’s in the microwave.”

“Oh?”

“Hang on.”

Yoona made her way to the microwave and turned it on. She was heating up Jessica’s breakfast before joining Jessica at the dining table.

“What did you make?”

“English breakfast.”

“Are you serious?”

“Yes, Macdonald’s Big Breakfast style.”

“Awesome.”

Jessica was smiling from ear to ear and Yoona felt at ease.  Jessica poured a cup of coffee for Yoona and the two girls chatted for a bit. Both felt comfortable being in each other’s company. Jessica’s warm smile was slowly melting her ice image on Yoona and Yoona’s laughter was music to Jessica’s ears. It made Jessica’s heart pump a little bit faster each time hearing Yoona’s voice.

Breakfast was served and the two girls continued chatting. It didn’t feel weird after so long and Yoona wondered why she was feeling so comfortable being with Jessica. But it didn’t last long.

“Are you and Seohyun together?”

Jessica suddenly spoke up.

“Huh? What do you mean?”

“I saw the both of you kissing last night.”

“Oh, it’s nothing.”

“Nothing? You seemed to enjoy it a lot.”

Yoona was frowning away. Jessica was showing a little jealousy and it made Yoona felt good and weird at the same time.

“Her lips are soft.”

Jessica rolled her eyes. She didn’t need to know that like seriously. She felt like stabbing Yoona in her thighs.

“You were with Taeyeon yesterday?”

Jessica turned to look at Yoona. Yoona’s eyes were concerned.

“Yeah, we had some drinks.”

“Why? Are you upset over something?”

She was. She was upset over Yoona’s kiss with Seohyun but hell, she couldn’t tell Yoona the truth.

“No, not really. She just happened to be there for me.”

Yoona was pouting her lips. She could be there too. In fact, she was there by Jessica’s side all the time. So why didn’t Jessica confide in her? But who was she kidding? They were enemies.

“Yeah, Taeyeon’s nice. She takes good care of you. It was really late when she sent you home and already here in such early morning just to make sure you’re alright.”

“Well, Seohyun cooked for you. She came all the way here to visit you. She’s nice too.”

Both ladies were suppressing their jealousy deep down inside.

“So I assume you like Taeyeon?”

“And you like Seohyun?”

Both were staring into each other’s eyes. They wondered if they should be honest but both chose to do otherwise.

“Yeah, I guess so. I like Taeyeon.

Yoona nodded.

“I like Seohyun too.”

Jessica was sighing away.

“Then I wish you good luck with her.”

“You too, Jessica. I hope Taeyeon makes you happy.”

Both were lying to each other. Both hearts were aching a little but they chose to do it that way. Just because they couldn’t understand or even realize that their hearts were already together right from the very start.

-

“Boss, are you going out with Taeyeon now?”

Soo Young was not thrilled to learn that Jessica was dating Taeyeon and her stupid best friend was dating Seohyun.

“Yes I am.”

“Why?”

“What do you mean by why?”

“What happened to Yoona?”

“What’s with Yoona?”

Jessica’s heart skipped a beat at the mention of Yoona’s name but she remained her cool.

“I thought the two of you were doing fine.”

“We were enemies and now becoming friends. Yes, we’re doing fine now.”

“No, I don’t mean it that way.”

“Soo Young, what are you trying to say?”

“Don’t you like her?”

Jessica looked up to find Soo Young staring at her with her hopeful eyes.  Her heart was churning with excitement but she chose to shrug it away.

“I’m not. I like Taeyeon. And Yoona’s dating Seohyun now. Isn’t that what you wanted from her? She has moved on with someone better.”

“There’s a reason why I introduced you to her.”

“You wanted us to be together?”

“The two of you fit together just like a puzzle.”

Jessica was scoffing away although her heart tickled at the thought.

“I guess we’re not meant to be. We’re happy now.”

“Sigh, I hope so. I guess my intuition is wrong. But anyway, Miss Kim really adores you a lot.”

“Shut up.”

There was a huge bouquet of flowers on her table. Taeyeon left it there in the morning when Soo Young was in her room.

“Hyoyeon doesn’t do it for me anymore.”

“Then you can do it for her.”

“She will call me cheesy and will kick a fuss over it. She hates such things.”

“You could surprise her, Soo Young.”

“Nah, my girlfriend is a very conventional type of girl. I will just love her the way she wants it to be.”

“Which is?”

“Less awkward.”

Both ladies laughed but Jessica’s mind was already thinking of someone else. And she wondered if that someone else was doing fine right now.

“What the hell am I thinking of? Jessica Jung, your girlfriend is in the same office but yet you’re thinking of Im Yoona. What’s wrong with you?!”

It was just so sad how dense Jessica Jung could be.

-

Yoona’s boys were at Seohyun’s place. Her contractors had started laying the foundation for Seohyun’s new home on her land. She was there to oversee things. She was busy giving them instructions when Hyoyeon appeared in front of her.

“Unnie?”

“Hey, you have a minute?”

“Sure.”

Yoona took Hyoyeon to her office and left the boys to handle the rest. Hyoyeon brought some food. Apparently she was from Seohyun’s lakehouse.

“Seohyun wanted me to bring you these. She has something urgent to attend to and couldn’t send to you.”

“Oh?”

Yoona looked into the paper bag and found some containers of food.

“Wow, kimbap!”

“Eat them up.”

“You want some?”

“I had some.”

Yoona ate some of the kimbaps and was thoroughly enjoying herself for the free lunch. Hyoyeon was staring at her and she finally noticed it.

“What’s wrong?”

“Seohyun likes you a lot.”

“I know that, unnie.”

“She’s someone dear to me.”

Yoona looked up.

“I hope you like her as much as she likes you.”

“I do, unnie.”

“Well, don’t mind me saying this but I thought you’re much closer to Jessica now.”

That was the truth. The two ladies were really close now.

“Well, I guess we’re friends now.”

“I thought you might fall in love with her.”

“What?”

“I mean, Jessica’s really your type of girl.”

“The cucumber-hater? My type of girl?”

“You enjoy teasing others. Seohyun’s too rigid and strict. I hardly see you joking around with her.”

“She hates it.”

Hyoyeon laughed. She knew because Seohyun hammered her on the head when she tried to make a prank on her before.

“But Jessica allows you to . She even entertains you sometimes.”

“She’s funny. I just love teasing her.”

Yoona subconsciously smiled when she thought of Jessica. Hyoyeon noticed it and she agreed with Soo Young that the two ladies were as dumb as ever. That’s why they fitted each other. But Hyoyeon hates to meddle into other people’s affairs.

She just hoped that the two ladies wouldn’t hurt each other further and hurt someone else in the process.

“Yoona, are you happy now?”

“Yeah, I supposed so.”

And Hyoyeon left it as that. She prayed that time would slowly open their eyes to see what they were missing so far.

-

“What did I tell you?”

“What?”

“I want sweet popcorn!”

“Oh come on, sweet and sour popcorn makes it even better!”

“Now I have to dig for the sweet ones!”

“Just put them inside your mouth. They will taste the same after that.”

Yoona and Jessica met up for a movie. Their girlfriends had something else to do so the two decided to hang out together. Yoona purposely bought a mixture of popcorn to irritate Jessica. It worked. The lady was smacking her forehead when the popcorn she took was sour.

“Urgh! Im Yoona, I hate you!”

“That’s not new, you know.”

“Shut up!”

Jessica rolled her eyes when Yoona stuck her tongue out. She turned away but Yoona was waving something at her.

“What is it now?”

“I bought you chocolates.”

“Really?!”

“You have an incredible sweet tooth. These chocolates can overlap the sour popcorn taste.”

“Aww, you’re amazing!”

“I know.”

“Thick-skinned.”

“Be thankful!”

“I am!”

The two ladies enjoyed their time together. They didn’t even realize how comfortable they got being with each other and the most shocking part was; they literally forgot about their other halves. They were teasing and making fun of each other; oblivious to their surroundings.

For Yoona, Jessica made her smile so much.

For Jessica, Yoona’s voice was soothing that it melted out all of her worries on her mind.

Sometimes love makes a fool out of you.

And it could hurt so much when you realize you were just making a foolish circle after all.

-