Chapter 6

The Old & The New

Yuri was on done for the day. She was looking forward to spend the rest of her free time with Tiffany. She was informed by her colleague, Dr Choi, the doctor in charge of Tiffany that the lady was allowed to be discharged. But she needed constant care and Yuri volunteered to look after her. The hospital knew about the two ladies’ friendship and Dr Choi gave the permission to Yuri.

“Dr Kwon, you’re here.”

Dr Choi Minho was in the room with Tiffany and a nurse. He was doing his checks on Tiffany.

“Good to see you, Dr Choi. Is she alright?”

“Her health seems to be improving but of course, you’re aware that her condition might deteriorate if she’s not taking care of herself, right?”

“Yes, I’m fully aware of that. Don’t worry; I’ll take good care of her.”

“Great, she can leave today. But do remember to take her medicine at the pharmacy. She has to come back every week for further treatments.”

“Thanks, Dr Choi.”

He left the room with the nurse. Tiffany was keeping silent most of the time. She wasn’t too interested to know about her condition. She just couldn’t stop thinking of Jessica and wondered how the lady was doing now.

“Fany?”

Yuri noticed Tiffany was in deep thoughts. She went over to her and took Tiffany’s hands. She squeezed them lightly.

“Hmm?”

“What are you thinking of?”

“Nothing, I was just stoning.”

“Okay, you can be discharged now. I’m taking you home with me.”

“Huh? Why?”

“So that I can look after you?”

“Oh, that’s right. Can I leave now?”

“Yeah, let me help you change out.”

Yuri was aware that Tiffany was thinking of her ex-girlfriend. There were times when she visited Tiffany while she was sleeping at night; the poor lady was calling out Jessica’s name every single night. Strangely it didn’t hurt Yuri that much; it just prompted her to hug Tiffany tighter in her arms.

Nevertheless, she didn’t want to make a huge fuss over it so she just let Tiffany be. She helped Tiffany to change and also settled her discharge papers. She then gently hoisted Tiffany to her wheelchair and took her bag of clothes along.

“Let’s go home.”

Yuri smiled warmly and Tiffany returned it with an eye-smile. Yuri then walked behind her and slowly pushed the wheelchair towards the exit. Tiffany was holding on to her bag and occasionally squeezed Yuri’s hand that was conveniently placed behind her.

“I’ll take good care of you, okay?”

Yuri leaned forward and kissed the back of Tiffany’s head. The other lady nodded.

“I promise you. I won’t leave you anymore.”

And both ladies left the hospital with a lighter heart.

-

“Tiffany, do you want to grab a bite somewhere?”

Yuri was driving with Tiffany in her passenger seat. The shorter girl turned to look at her.

“You’re hungry?”

“Yeah, a little.”

“Did you skip breakfast this morning?”

“I had few appointments back to back. I didn’t get to eat because I was more eager to get you discharged from the hospital.”

“Why didn’t you tell me? We could eat something earlier on.”

“Nah, we can stop by somewhere. Is that okay with you? Anyway, aren’t you tired of the hospital food?”

Tiffany smiled widely. Honestly she hated the food there.

“Can I choose the restaurant?”

“Sure, is there somewhere you want to go?”

“There is this café by the lakeside; just located at the outskirt of the city. It has good view. I just want to relax my mind a little.”

“Alright then, let’s go.”

Yuri turned the course of her destination and slowly reached out to hold Tiffany’s hand. She held on tightly and Tiffany clasped on tightly with one hand over Yuri’s. Yuri gave her comfort and she sometimes wondered why she let Yuri go the last time they were together.

She often asked herself why Yuri would leave her ex-girlfriend so conveniently just because she wanted to remain by Tiffany’s side.  Yuri confessed to Tiffany once when they were still with their respective other halves.

“I still love you.”

“Yuri, this is insane.”

“No, it isn’t. I still care for you.”

“What about Yoona?”

“I love her too but if I have to choose between the two of you, I’d choose you.”

Since then, Tiffany had this tremendous guilt towards Yoona. She felt like she has stolen Yuri away from Yoona and it shouldn’t happen in the first place. It was absolutely wrong but she was selfish too. She left Jessica because she wasn’t too sure if Jessica would want to live with her knowing her medical condition like this.

So Yuri was the convenient partner now. It killed her all the time when she thought of Yuri. Sometimes she wondered if her love for Yuri was as deep as Jessica’s but she couldn’t complain anymore.

“Dear god, please save my heart. Please save the people I care so much. Please.”

Tiffany prayed silently to herself.

-

Yoona was at the lake house with Seohyun. She was there to take measurements and to present the blueprint that she has done overnight for Seohyun’s review. They spent some time together and Seohyun even made lunch for the both of them.

“Hey, I hope you’re hungry.”

“Huh? Why?”

“I made lunch for you.”

“Oh.”

Yoona was surprised at Seohyun’s hospitality. She was slightly embarrassed because she didn’t expect lunch at all. The table was luxuriously filled with food and Yoona’s eyes couldn’t stop staring at the beef stew right in front of her. She loves beef.

“Wow, this is a lot.”

“Yeah, I’m sorry. I could get really excited when someone came over. I live alone so I couldn’t really judge the amount of food I should make.”

“Oh, this is fine. I hope we can finish it.”

Yoona smiled sheepishly and Seohyun’s cheeks were slightly blushing in red. But nevertheless, she quickly served her guest with huge amount of food on Yoona’s plate.

“I can take myself.”

Yoona was truly embarrassed that her client was doing this for her. But she likes that feeling to have someone fussing over her. Seohyun seemed to be anxious in order to make Yoona comfortable at home.

“Seohyun, you’re a great host.”

“Honestly, you’re my first visitor since my grandmother’s death.”

Yoona looked up. Seohyun’s voice was almost inaudible but yet filled with sadness and loneliness. Yoona could feel it immediately.

“I have been living alone; probably trapped in my late grandmother’s shadow. Hyoyeon unnie said I needed to meet more people.”

Yoona was taken aback at Seohyun’s confession. Hyoyeon unnie planned this too; just like how Soo Young unnie did. But she prefers this kind of arrangement. It was less awkward as compared to the cucumber-hater.

“Well, I can be your friend.”

Yoona smiled warmly.

“Are you serious?”

“Yes, I mean we can be friends; I’m friends with most of my clients. I prefer to make them feel comfortable.”

Seohyun’s frown slowly faded and a big wide smile was plastered on her face. Surprisingly, it made Yoona felt at ease. The two continued their lunch with much laughter and a little tug on their heartstrings.

It felt so comfortable being in each other’s company.

-

“Sica, Miss Kim would like to see you.”

Miss Kim’s secretary, IU was at the door looking for Jessica. Jessica acknowledged her presence and quickly grabbed her files. She was going to have a short meeting with Miss Kim. IU left quickly and then another voice came after.

“Are you getting ready to leave?”

Jessica turned to find Miss Kim at the door instead.

“Hey, I’m coming! Sorry, I was too caught up with my work.”

“No, it’s okay. Take your time. But instead of having a meeting in my office, I would like to talk about it over lunch.”

“Lunch?”

“Yeah, so grab your handbag with your files. I’ll see you at the lift lobby. I’ll take my car first.”

“Huh?”

But even before Jessica could say anything, Miss Kim has already left her room. Jessica was mentally cursing at herself as she gathered her stuff quickly.

“What the heck.”

She just grabbed her purse and phone and dumped into her bag. She grabbed her files and quickly rushed to the lift lobby. Miss Kim was already waiting at the porch. Jessica rushed up to her car and threw her stuff in the backseat. She joined Miss Kim at the front.

“I’m sorry, I was late.”

“No worries. Take your time. So where do you want to eat for your lunch?”

“Huh? I don’t have any preferences. I’ll go wherever you prefer.”

“Alright, let’s go then. We can discuss while I’m driving.”

“Okay sure.”

Jessica took her file out and started explaining her sales figures to Miss Kim. Miss Kim might be driving but she was still very alert as to what Jessica was discussing about. Jessica couldn’t help but admire Miss Kim’s versatility. She was awed.

And Miss Kim noticed it.

“What?”

“Huh?”

Jessica was slightly embarrassed when she was caught staring at Miss Kim.

“Is there something on my face?”

“Uh no. I was just looking.”

“Ah, are you amazed at how focused I am despite the fact that I’m driving?”

“Yeah, you got me.”

“I’m sorry. I prefer to multi-tasking. I mean, I’m good at that.”

“That’s great. I mean, it’s not easy to find someone who can do this, Miss Kim.”

“Ya, just call me Taeyeon. I’m so sick of people calling me Miss Kim. Miss Kim makes me sound like I’m a 40 year old spinster.”

Jessica was caught by surprise but nevertheless let out a small laugh. Taeyeon was already grinning away.

“Your laughter is so cute.”

“I beg your pardon?”

“Do you always look so icily cold in the office all the time?”

Jessica was surprised. Did Taeyeon keep a watch on her?

“I’m sorry, I was just observing my managers and normally you didn’t realize I was there.”

“I’m sorry for my imprudence. It’s just that I can get really focused when I’m working and normally my exterior impression didn’t really impress many people in the office.”

That was true. Only her sales team knew the real Jessica. The rest were just assuming that Jessica was a truly hot ing sales manager in the office.

“Heck what they think of you. I think you’re really good in your own ways. People always look at the outer layer of people.  We, by nature, are always judgemental.”

Taeyeon threw a smile that caught Jessica by surprise. She could literally see a 10 year old cheeky little girl in that smile.

“You’re something too, Taeyeon.”

“Hmm? Me?”

“Yeah, we hardly have female CEOs, let alone a young female CEO like you. I read your biography.”

“You did research on me?!”

“Well, don’t make it sound so bad. I just wanted to know my boss more.”

“That’s really impressive. So what else do you know about me?”

“Well, you’re the president of the young women social club. You won at a talent time competition at national level but nobody really knew you. I saw your music vids when you were younger. You have a beautiful voice.”

“God, that video is still on the internet?!”

Taeyeon was appalled and embarrassed at the same time. Jessica was amused.

“You’re really cool in your own ways.”

“Yeah but I’m still a human. I make mistakes too. So don’t read those biographies that much. They are just the icing of me. You have to know me before I could reveal my true identity.”

Jessica turned to look at her boss and raised one eye brow. Taeyeon perched her lips together and then pouted slightly.

“What? I do have my own personal identity, okay?”

“I never said you don’t.”

“Then what’s with that look?”

“Why do I have this feeling that your true self is a dork?”

Taeyeon gave that playful grin once again.

“I’m a true blood ahjumma--dork CEO.”

Jessica was completely amused now and intrigued by her new boss’s persona.

-

“No, no. I insist.”

Yoona was literally arguing with her new-found friend, Seohyun. She wanted to buy the lady coffee but the lady went about how caffeine can affect one’s health.

“You can order your healthy drink.”

“Like what?”

“Like….”

Yoona gave a thought for a second and then grinned widely.

“I can get you a glass of water. And it’s free!”

Seohyun was about to protest but Yoona had already dragged her into the café. They sat closer to the window and Seohyun was completely taken in by the scenery outside.

“See, I know you will like it.”

“How come I don’t know about this place?”

“Well, you’re a hermit crab. Does that explain a lot?”

Seohyun rolled her eyes before letting out a soft sigh. But Yoona quickly changed the mood.

“Don’t worry; your friend here will bring you out more often. Just relax okay? And I’m serious about coffee. They even have healthy drinks like organic green tea.”

Yoona was reading through the menu but Seohyun didn’t pay attention to her listing of the healthy drinks. She was more taken in by how Yoona took her heart by storm. Seohyun knew she hasn’t felt like this – happy and contented since her grandmother’s death. She suddenly felt like there was finally a reason to smile for.

“Are you even listening to me?!”

Yoona was waving the menu in front of Seohyun. The girl was startled for a second before snatching the menu away from Yoona. She was actually blushing but hid it away from Yoona.

“I’ll get the organic green tea.”

“Okay then. I’ll order. You wait here.”

Yoona got up and left Seohyun alone. She wanted to eat some cakes that were available on the shelf. She wanted to choose herself.

-

Meanwhile two ladies were striding in confidently.

“Let’s sit here.”

“You know about this place?”

Jessica was surprised.

“Duh, I told you I’m an ahjumma. I know all the eateries and cafes in Seoul.”

“God, you’re seriously changing my impression of you in seconds.”

“Shut up and sit down. I’ll order. What do you want to eat?”

“I’ll get salad.”

“Just salad? What are you? A goat?”

Jessica was taken aback. She was reminded of Yoona. That annoying brat called her a goat before.

“Earth calling to Jessica!”

“Huh?”

“You sure you want to eat just salad?”

“I’ll eat whatever you order then.”

“Fine, I’ll get side dishes. You have to eat. You’re too skinny, for god sake.”

“Boss, I’m allergic to some vegetables.”

Taeyeon frowned.

“What is it?”

“I hate cucumbers.”

“Seriously?”

“Yes, you’ll regret if there are cucumbers in our food.”

“Fine, I’ll take note of that.”

Taeyeon went up to the counter and left Jessica alone. Ironically, Jessica was just sitting; facing Seohyun. She let out a small smile and the girl returned it as well. Jessica then took out her file and focused on it instead.

Minutes later, she heard a voice – a familiar annoying voice, Im Yoona.

“Seohyun, your organic green tea!”

Jessica quickly put her file down and there she was; standing face to face. The other lady was stunned too.

“What the….”

Oh boy, what a small world after all.

-

“Wait!”

The three ladies looked up to the panicking one who was desperately reaching over and grabbing the plate Jessica was holding on to.

“What is it now?”

“I saw cucumbers.”

“What?”

Yoona took the plate and pulled out a cucumber among the greenery vegetables in Jessica’s salad. The four ladies decided to sit together after Taeyeon realized that Yoona and Jessica knew each other. The four of them combined their tables together and Jessica was staring at Yoona ever since.

She wondered really hard – what the hell is this stupid girl doing here?

“Wow, you have sharp eyes.”

Taeyeon was amazed.

“I reminded them not to put cucumbers in.”

“Maybe they overlooked it. But no worries; we’re free from Jessica’s vomit.”

“Hey!”

Jessica was protesting and jabbed Yoona’s thigh with her spoon.

“Ow?!”

“You don’t know have to freak them out with my history.”

“I was freaked out!”

“Well, you refused to listen to me!”

“How would I know? You were stalking me around!”

“No I did not!”

“Did too!”

“Did not!”

The two were arguing much to Taeyeon’s and Seohyun’s amusement.

“Are you two are like enemies or something?”

Seohyun decided to ask. Two girls stared at each other before looking away.

“Seems like they are. What happened between the two of you?”

“Nothing happened.”

Yoona spoke up immediately. Jessica felt humiliated. That one night stand was nothing to this annoying brat! How dare she! Jessica refused to admit defeat. She spoke up immediately.

“Something happened but this annoying brat here just refused to admit it.”

Yoona’s eyes grew larger.

“Admit what?”

“You’re supposed to admit responsibility!”

“Are you pregnant?”

“Excuse me?!”

“If I make you pregnant, I’ll take responsibility of it!”

“Are you telling me now that you’re a man in disguise?!”

“WHAT?!”

They continued arguing without realizing Taeyeon and Seohyun were staring intently at them.  Jessica noticed it first and nudged Yoona. The lady turned.

“Why are you looking at us like that?”

Taeyeon was already grinning away and Seohyun was already blushing.

“Can I just conclude something?”

Taeyeon looked at the two of them warily.

“Did you two have a one night stand before?”

Jessica was horrified and Yoona scalded her tongue from her hot coffee. They just realized that they had indulged too much to those two innocent people.

“ARGH! ITS YOUR FAULT!”

“WHAT IS IT MY FAULT?! YOU WERE HAPPILY TELLING THEM THAT I SHOULD TAKE RESPONSIBILITY!”

“YOU DIDN’T HAVE TO MENTION ABOUT PREGNANCY AND THAT WAS THE GIVEN CLUE!”

The café was sure noisy today. And it was really crazy too.

-

Tiffany and Yuri were watching the commotion at the corner of the café. They recognised the two noisy ladies and their hearts were aching so much. But it was more of a surprise that the two ladies were together.

Many things ran through their mind especially Tiffany.

“Jessica, you look great. Are you moving on already?”

Yuri, on the other hand, wondered if Yoona has forgiven her yet.

“Yoona, are you still angry with me?”

The two ladies just stared in silence.

-