Chapter 3

The Old & The New

“What are you doing here?”

Jessica rolled her eyes. Why, out of many places, she had to bump into Im Yoona in the library?

“Do you own this library?”

“No, why are you here? Do you even read?”

“Are you belittling me now?”

The deal with Soo Young fell through. Both girls refused to compromise and left Soo Young bewildered. They just hated each other guts that much.

“This is insane. I’m leaving.”

“Good, go.”

Yoona stomped off while Jessica walked in the opposite direction. Her mood was dampened by the presence of Im Yoona. She couldn’t understand why she disliked Yoona so much.  She didn’t have the mood to find the book she wanted anymore. She turned around and left the library. She decided to find something to eat.

She came across this little café at the corner of the street; just two blocks away from the library. Jessica loves their Caesar Chicken Salad and the ambience was perfect for her to chill.

“We’re kinda full house now but if you don’t mind, I can bunk you with someone who’s sitting alone. Do you mind?”

“Nah, I don’t mind.”

“Okay, right away. Follow me, Miss.”

The place was packed with executives from the nearby offices; having their lunch at the same place. It was noisy; worse than a school canteen or even the market. Everybody was in a lighter mood since it was lunch time and their stomachs were filled with good food.

“Hi, do you mind if someone joins you at your table? We’re on full house today.”

“Sure.”

The person was still reading the newspapers and just nodded without even looking up. Jessica couldn’t see the person properly as the waiter blocked her view. The waiter took Jessica’s orders and left her with the stranger.

Jessica didn’t talk much. She just took out her Ipad and started swiping her index finger against the smooth surface. She was reading her emails. Her food came with her coffee and Jessica took her time.  She was about to poke her fork into her salad when she heard a groan.

“You have got to be kidding me.”

Jessica immediately looked up. She recognised that voice. She came face to face with her nemesis. Her hunger faded out.

“Great. There goes my appetite.”

Jessica put her fork aside.

“It wasn’t my fault. Why are you here in the first place? Did you follow me?”

“What? Do I look like a stalker to you?”

“Don’t you have other place to have your lunch at?”

“This place is the best.”

“What is?”

“The salads.”

“Ah, you’re a fan of the salads.”

“Well, except for cucumbers.”

“o.O”

“What’s with that look?”

“Cucumbers? Why? They remind you of someone?”

“I’m allergic to them.”

“Really?”

Yoona scanned through her plate and found a small piece of cucumber at the side. She purposely pulled it out and Jessica saw it. Yoona was actively poking her fork through the cucumber and Jessica’s eyes grew larger.

“Don’t you dare!”

“Why not?”

“I’ll throw up, I swear.”

“Right.”

Yoona stubbornly took a bite and the smell was too much for Jessica. She was telling the truth. She threw up; all over the table – leaving Yoona flabbergasted.

-

“Here is her medicine.”

“Okay, thanks.”

This was stupid, Yoona thought. She was holding on to a pale looking Jessica who had just threw up mountains of her inside; Yoona was still disgusted and her clothes stink of Jessica’s vomit.

“What the hell am I doing this for?”

The owner of the café conveniently pushed the responsibility to Yoona who happened to be the one who caused the ruckus. Yoona had no choice but to bring Jessica to the hospital.

Apparently, Jessica was serious about being allergic to cucumbers. It was on her medical records and Yoona was still amused by it.

“How could someone be allergic to cucumbers without even eating them?”

“What the hell are you doing?”

Yoona turned to find Jessica staring at her.

“What?”

“Why are you holding me tightly?”

“Oh, you want me to release you?”

Yoona immediately let go of her hands and Jessica fell with the loudest thud. Yoona was smirking away before helping her up again.

“There, that’s the reason why I’m holding on tightly.”

“I just asked you a question; I didn’t ask you to let go.”

“Are you hurt?”

“Shut up, idiot.”

“Look, I’m sorry for what happened earlier on. Well, it was kinda amusing but then again, I didn’t realise that it could pose a danger to you.”

“I told you I would throw up.”

“Okay, fine. It’s my fault. I’ll take you home.”

“I cannot drive.”

“I’ll drive.”

“You?”

Jessica pointed a finger weakly at Yoona.  The younger girl tapped Jessica’s finger away.

“I have license.”

“Aren’t you still in high school?”

Yoona curved her lips up; completely amused now.

“I’m an architect, mind you.”

“Ah, I’m sorry. You look really young.”

“I think you’re still hallucinating. Just shut up and sit here. I’ll drive you home.”

Yoona gently placed Jessica in the passenger seat and buckled her up. She closed the door and took a deep breath. She needed to calm down – probably a 100 times more than usual.

“Relax Yoona, just send her home and leave immediately.”

-

“I want a drink.”

“Alright, hang on.”

Yoona poured a glass of water and brought it to Jessica. Well, her initial plan fell through. Jessica got her under her thumb. She appeared weak and vulnerable; it was convincing enough for Yoona to feel guilty and remain behind to look after the sick woman.

“Here.”

“Can you help me up?”

“You cannot get up now?”

“My body is weak. Thanks to someone who refuses to heed my warnings against cucumbers.”

“Shut up.”

Yoona leaned closer and helped Jessica to sit up properly. She allowed the weaker lady to lean against her chest and helped her with the glass. Jessica had a little difficulty and Yoona pulled her closer.

“Are you taking advantage of me now?”

Yoona rolled her eyes.

“You’re just like a baby now. I might need to change your diapers after this.”

Jessica shot her a look and Yoona stuck her tongue out – feeling triumphant over the bossy sick lady.

“You live alone?”

“Why?”

“I was looking through your kitchen. There was nothing for me to work on.”

“What are you planning to do? Burn down my kitchen?”

“I just need to tweak the cylinder gas and throw the lighter up in the air.”

“Shut up.”

“I wanted to cook some porridge for you. And seriously, your fridge is free of cucumbers.”

“Do you need me to throw up again?”

“NO!”

Jessica managed a smile and Yoona rolled her eyes. Jessica noticed the patch on Yoona’s blouse – she vomited on Yoona earlier on.

“I’m sorry about your blouse.”

“Huh? Nah, it’s okay. It doesn’t stink that much.”

“You need a change?”

Yoona turned to look at Jessica.

“There are some blouses in that cupboard. You can take anyone of them.”

Yoona went over to the cupboard – it was full of pink blouses and polo-tees.

“It’s pink!?”

“You hate pink?”

“It’s not my colour. Wait, are these yours?”

“Why?”

“I don’t see you wear pink before.”

Jessica was impressed at how observant Yoona was.

“Those are my ex-girlfriend’s. I couldn’t bear to throw them out.”

Yoona turned to find Jessica’s eyes were a little downcast. She knew Jessica was thinking of her ex-girlfriend. She took one polo tee and walked over to Jessica.

“Cheer up. You’ll find someone better.”

Jessica looked up.

“I mean, I know how it feels but it’s over anyway. Let’s just try to move on as much as possible.”

“It hurts badly, doesn’t it?”

Yoona nodded.

“It hurts like hell but what can you do? She chose to leave you, right?”

“Yeah, your ex did the same thing?”

“Yeah, I got my heart broken like nobody business but that’s life. I couldn’t do anything about it.”

Jessica nodded her head weakly.

“Oh well, you rest here. I’ll go out for a moment.”

“Huh?”

“I need to cook for you. Let’s have dinner together. My treat.”

Yoona then took the keys from Jessica’s table.

“I take your house keys with me. I’ll be back quickly. Just rest well.”

Yoona left quickly and Jessica was bewildered.

But it was a nice feeling to have someone looking after her when she was sick like this.

Tiffany used to look after her.

“Ah, it’s time to move on, Jessica. Tiffany’s not coming back anymore.”

Jessica stopped herself from thinking of Tiffany. She closed her eyes and fell asleep almost immediately.

-