Chapter 15

The Old & The New

Taeyeon invited Sunny over for dinner and Jessica didn’t mind the extra company. Sunny, on the other hand, felt a little awkward. So she brought her friend, Hyomin along. Taeyeon was unhappy about it and it was clearly written on her face.

“Hi Jessica, this is Hyomin.”

“Hi Hyomin!”

“Hi Jessica.”

“Jessica is Taeyeon’s girlfriend from Korea.”

“Oh, that’s nice.”

Taeyeon was watching them from the kitchen. She pretended to be busy; well she was busy cooking though.

“Hi Tae!”

Hyomin waved at her and Taeyeon gave her a quick smile. Jessica invited the girls in and let herself into the kitchen. She was helping Taeyeon with dinner when she realized Taeyeon was practically staring at Hyomin. She frowned.

“Is there anything wrong, Tae?”

“Huh?”

“You look cramped.”

“What?”

“You seemed to be unhappy. Are you alright?”

Taeyeon forgotten about Jessica and realized that that she was showing too much of her anger. She shook her head and took comfort of Jessica’s arms.

“Nothing, I was tired.”

“You slept for 3 hours, Tae.”

“I got jet-lag!”

“Fine, I understand and stop giving me that cute pouty face.”

“You like it, don’t you?”

Well, it wasn’t like Jessica was in love with it but it reminded her of Yoona too much. She smacked Taeyeon’s forehead before leaned closer for a kiss.

“I was waiting for that actually.”

“You’re full of nonsense.”

Taeyeon’s mood was getting better because of Jessica and Sunny witnessed it from the living room. It seemed like Jessica could easily turn Taeyeon’s skies grey to blue.

“What are you staring at now?”

“Nothing.”

“Don’t lie. I know the reason why you dragged me along. You owe me!”

“I know. I had to borrow you from Jiyeon.”

“She’s expecting me to return home by 10pm.”

“What are you? Cinderella?”

“No, Jiyeon’s girlfriend.”

“Shut up, we’ll leave by 9.30 and I’ll send you home directly to your doorstep.”

“Does Taeyeon know that we’re no longer together?”

“No, I didn’t tell her.”

“YA! NO WONDER SHE WAS STARING AT ME LIKE THAT!”

“I’ll tell her later. Chill bill!”

“You better! Taeyeon is a scornful woman!”

“She has Jessica.”

“Right, she has Jessica because that lady reminded her of you.”

“Shut up, I’m not here to steal someone else’s girlfriend.”

“I’m not asking you to but you’re planning to.”

“No!”

“Don’t lie!”

“I’m going to strangle you, I swear!”

“No seriously, I miss being your girlfriend.”

“SHUT UP, HYOMIN!”

Hyomin stuck her tongue out but kept quiet immediately when Sunny glared at her with her big round eyes. She just sat there quietly; minded her own business when Jessica came out with some snacks and 2 glasses of Coke.

“Hey, we don’t have anything healthy in the kitchen. Is Coke fine with you two?”

“Sure, we’re not choosy.”

“Alright, here have these first. Taeyeon’s still making dinner. I’ll help her out. Make yourselves at home.”

Jessica smiled brightly and Hyomin was already staring at her. Sunny smacked her forehead.

“Ow?!”

“Stop staring at Jessica.”

“She’s a little more gorgeous than you.”

Hyomin earned a big whack on her back.  Meanwhile Jessica was cutting the vegetables at the sink when Taeyeon suddenly screamed out in pain. She turned quickly.

“Tae?”

“Ow..”

“You got burnt?”

“Stupid stove!!!”

“Hey, come over here.”

Jessica pulled Taeyeon closer and placed her hand under the running water. The burnt mark was slowly turning red and Jessica quickly rushed out to find her first aid kit. But someone beat her to it – Sunny.

“What happened?”

“She burnt her hand.”

“Taeyeon! Are you alright?!”

Sunny immediately examined Taeyeon’s hand as Jessica looked on. Hyomin smacked her forehead. Sunny has forgotten about Jessica somehow.

“Are you okay?”

“It hurts.”

Taeyeon was whining. That was new for Jessica. She was amused at how Kim Taeyeon, her superior, changed into a little child in front of Sunny.

“You’re such a clumsy klutz!”

“Hey, stop yelling! I’m burnt!”

“Serve you right! This is not the first time!”

Taeyeon pouted her lips once again and Jessica’s heart skipped a beat. She could see someone’s face on Taeyeon. She shook her head vigorously. Hyomin saw it.

“Erm Sunny, you can let Jessica take over.”

Hyomin assumed Jessica didn’t like how chummy Sunny and Taeyeon were.”

The two ladies turned and Taeyeon was feeling guilty. She has forgotten about Jessica’s presence.

“Hey, it’s alright. I’m not good with first aid anyway.”

“Sicaaaaa~”

Taeyeon started to whine much to Jessica’s amusement.

“What is it, Tae?”

“It hurts!”

“I’ll get your Dukong.”

Jessica disappeared into the room, leaving Hyomin, Sunny and Taeyeon in the kitchen. Sunny was still bandaging Taeyeon’s hand.

“What do you think you’re doing?”

Hyomin spoke up.

“Wait, what are you two doing in the first place?”

“She’s hurt, Hyomin. Nothing is going to happen.”

Taeyeon kept quiet.

“Jessica was staring at the two of you.”

“She’ll be fine.”

“How confident are you, Taeyeon?”

“What are you trying to say?”

“Wasn’t this the same thing happened when you and I broke off, Sunny?”

Taeyeon and Sunny looked at each other.

“You want to repeat this again?”

Hyomin was furious.

-

Jessica was digging out the Dukong from Taeyeon’s bag when her phone beeped. She grabbed it from the side table and saw Yoona’s name again.

“Doesn’t this girl need to sleep?”

Jessica was wondering but nevertheless pressed on the READ button.

[Jessica, I’m bored. Seohyun’s out and I’m lazy to go to office.]

Jessica giggled. Yoona was cute at times and this was one of her cute moments – when she complained of being lonely.

[Grow up and deal it yourself. You’re such a big girl now. Do you need Mommy to look after you?]

[You’re such a meanie sometimes. I know you’re too busy to entertain me.]

[No, I’m not. I’m preparing dinner now. Taeyeon’s friends are here.]

[YOU LIAR! That means you’re busy, stupid!]

[YA! You asked for my company!]

[You can say no!]

[What’s wrong with you? Why are you so moody?]

The message didn’t come swiftly this time. Jessica waited for a few more minutes but no messages still. She wondered if she had offended Yoona.

[Are you alright? I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to say that.]

Still, no messages and Jessica started to worry.

Was Yoona angry at her?

-

Yoona stared at her phone when Jessica’s last message came in. She apologised. What the hell did Jessica apologise for? She didn’t do anything wrong.

Yoona was moody since she found out that Jessica was in Paris with Taeyeon. But what right did she have to tell Jessica that? Jessica doesn’t belong to her.

Yoona, you’re insane! Why are you venting anger on her when she doesn’t know what’s going on in your stupid head?!

Yoona sighed and felt really perplexed with the whole situation. She decided to send a message so that Jessica wouldn’t worry.

[It’s nothing. I ran off to the bathroom earlier on. Forgot to tell you! Sorry!]

[You silly dumb! Make me worried for a while! I have to go now, do something to kill time, okay? I’ll message you when the dinner’s over. Bye!]

[Bye.]

She wanted to type “Miss You” but stopped herself from doing it.

It’s not appropriate to say MISS YOU to someone’s girlfriend. Sheesh, I think I’m going crazy for once!

Yoona just slammed the phone by her side and screamed into the pillow. She was going crazy; literally crazy – missing Jessica.

-

Dinner was weirdly quiet. Jessica went out with Taeyeon’s Dukong but the lady pulled her instead. She hugged Jessica tightly. Jessica was confused.

“Tae?”

“I’m sorry.”

“Huh?”

“There’s nothing going on between me and Sunny. We’re just friends.”

“I didn’t say anything, Tae. I’m okay with it.”

“You’re not angry at me?”

“Why should I be when you burnt your hand?”

“Is this sympathy anger?”

“What are you talking about?”

“Just now I was too chummy with Sunny. I thought you were jealous that’s why you went into your room.”

“No, I wasn’t.  I’m not that petty.”

“Really?!”

Taeyeon’s eyes grew larger. Jessica was tickled by her expression.

“I’m really sure that I’m not angry. I know how you need your Dukong when you’re upset.”

“So you really went to take Dukong to cheer me up?”

“Of course I did! It cheered you up a lot, didn’t it?”

Taeyeon tightened her hug around Jessica and kissed her cheek.

“No, you cheered me up more than Dukong did.”

Jessica looked on.

“I love you, Jessica. I really do.”

“I know that, Taeyeon. I know that really well.”

Taeyeon hugged Jessica tightly but Jessica felt something bitter at the back of throat. She knew her feelings for Taeyeon weren’t the same as Taeyeon’s.

I should be saying sorry instead, Taeyeon. I couldn’t love you the way you wanted me to.

-

Dinner went on as usual. There was a lot of tension between the guests and Taeyeon but Jessica managed to clear the air somehow. She couldn’t stand awkwardness like that.

“I’m fine, girls.”

“I’m sorry, Jessica. Taeyeon is just a friend to me now.”

“I understand, Sunny. I’m not even angry or anything.”

Hyomin just kept quiet and she totally avoided Taeyeon’s eyes.

“Hyomin-shi, Taeyeon-shi wants to apologise.”

“Huh?”

“Hyomin, I’m sorry for what happened in the past. I didn’t know how much it hurt you back then.”

“No, it’s fine. We’re no longer together anymore.”

Taeyeon turned to Sunny, shocked. Jessica was completely lost but didn’t bother to ask.

“What did you say?”

“I’ve broken up with Sunny 8 months ago. I just couldn’t be with her knowing that she only has feelings for you.”

“Hyomin!”

“You wouldn’t tell her anything! That’s why she thought you’re still with me. Now someone else’s heart is going to get burn because of your selfishness.”

Jessica was taken aback at the revelation. Taeyeon’s facial expression was indescribable.

“Don’t get the wrong idea, Jessica.”

“I don’t know what to say actually.”

“Taeyeon, say something!”

Sunny turned to Taeyeon, hoping she could salvage the situation but Taeyeon’s silence was killing everyone. She was completely confused right now.

“I think we better leave. Tonight’s dinner is a disastrous.”

Sunny was standing up and Hyomin followed suit.

“I’m sorry Jessica. I’m sorry Taeyeon.”

Hyomin didn’t bother to say anything; she just left with Sunny behind her. Taeyeon and Jessica were just staring at each other.

What the hell just happened? And why is my heart rejoicing like that!?

Jessica was even more confused with herself.

-

Yoona was tossing about on her bed when her phone rang. She was closing her eyes so she answered without looking at the ID caller.

“Hello?”

“Yoona..”

Yoona immediately sat up. That was the same voice she was missing so much – Jessica Jung.

“Hey, are you alright?”

“Something happened and I’m not okay.”

“Where are you now?”

“I’m on the way to the airport.”

“Where’s Taeyeon unnie?”

“I left her. She needed time alone.”

“What happened?”

“It’s a long story. I felt like crying; I don’t know why.”

“Don’t cry. I’m here. Have you gotten the ticket?”

“No, I just left abruptly. I have no idea what I should do. What should I do, Yoona?”

Yoona didn’t waste any time. She her laptop and searched for the earliest flight out to Paris from Korea. She saw it and it cost a bomb. But she didn’t think twice. She just booked it and grabbed some clothes into her bag. Jessica was still on the line with her.

“Jessica, wait for me.”

“Huh?”

“I booked a ticket to Paris. I’m leaving in 4 hours’ time. You wait for me at the airport.”

“Huh? What?”

“Just wait for me at the airport. Don’t go anywhere.”

“But Yoona, I’m in Paris!”

“I know. I have to rush now. I’ll see you at the airport.”

“YOONA!”

Yoona hung up immediately and grabbed her passport. She then proceeded to call Seohyun.

“Seohyun, I’m flying off tonight. I have an urgent stuff to attend to.”

“Oh, okay. When will you be back?”

“In a couple of days, don’t worry I’ll call you.”

“Make sure you do. Take care, Yoona.”

“Don’t worry, I will.”

Yoona rushed to the airport without hesitation.

-

“WHAT THE HELL YOU SAID THAT FOR?!”

Sunny was quarrelling with Hyomin.

“You still love her. It’s so clearly written in your eyes!”

“But Jessica’s there!”

“I’m saving Jessica’s heart from getting broken just like I did.”

Sunny stared at Hyomin blankly. Sunny knew it was her fault that Hyomin couldn’t trust Taeyeon.

“Hyomin, I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be sorry. I’m not angry about the past anymore. But I’m angry at you and Taeyeon. The two of you are clearly still in love. So why must someone else drag into this picture?”

“What do you mean by that?”

“Did you see what Taeyeon did? She was stunned when I told her that you still love her and that the two of us have broken off! You think she really loves Jessica? Didn’t she said she’s with Jessica because Jessica reminded her of you?”

“Yes she did..”

“What does that prove?”

“But Hyomin, Jessica’s still her girlfriend. We shouldn’t have dropped the bomb like that.”

“That I agree that I’ve done wrong but Taeyeon didn’t even bother to say anything. I don’t want to see you get hurt or that innocent Jessica got broken because of Kim Taeyeon!”

“You hate her, don’t you?”

“I hate her because she’s coward! She obviously still loves you so why didn’t she try to win you back?”

“I didn’t let her.”

“What?”

“I couldn’t let her in again because I thought she wasn’t the one for me.”

“But you thought wrong! In the end, what happened? You cannot forget her.”

Sunny cried her eyes out. Hyomin was throwing true dirty facts at her; which she wished she could erase from her history but she knew she couldn’t.

“Fight for yourself. Win her back, Sunny.”

“Then how about Jessica?”

“As much as I hate this but save Jessica from heartache. It’s going to hurt the three of you so much.”

Sunny was perplexed.

-

Taeyeon buried her face in her palms. She was confused; completely confused. Her heart was suddenly halved by two girls – Sunny and Jessica. She stared into space.

“Do you want to explain what just happened, Tae?”

Jessica finally spoke up after a long silence. Taeyeon turned to look at her; guilty because she was confused.

“Is Sunny your ex-girlfriend?”

Taeyeon nodded her head painfully.

“Do you still love her?”

“I don’t know.”

“Taeyeon, please tell me truthfully.”

Taeyeon was looking deep into Jessica’s eyes. She could see tears b in Jessica’s eyes. She wasn’t too sure if she should tell Jessica the truth.

“Tae, you still love her, don’t you?”

“I’m confused.”

“Tae, you’re with me because I reminded you of Sunny.”

“Jessica, I’m sorry.”

“So you love me because of Sunny.”

“I didn’t mean it.”

“It’s okay, Taeyeon. It sometimes happens like that.”

“No, it’s not okay. I broke your heart.”

“Maybe you did but it’s alright. We haven’t really gone into deep. It has only been a month since we’re together.”

“What are you saying now?”

Jessica’s tears slowly trickled down her cheeks and Taeyeon’s heart was breaking into million pieces. She knew where this was going.

“Maybe you should return to Sunny.”

“No, Jessica!”

“Don’t be stupid, Taeyeon! You’re clearly still in love with her and she’s feeling the same way too! I don’t want to be the third party between the two of you.”

“What are you talking about, Jessica?”

“Ever since we came here and met Sunny, I felt like I was the third party. The two of you were obviously in your own world. You were so different when Sunny’s with you. You hardly show your aegyo with me but you were so natural in front of Sunny. And when you saw Hyomin earlier on, you were pissed. You looked like you would murder her anytime.”

Taeyeon burst into tears. She didn’t mean to hurt Jessica like that.

“It hurts a little but I’ll get by. If you really love Sunny, win her back. Don’t confuse yourself and hurt others like that. I’m going to be fine, I promise you.”

“Jessica…”

“I’m leaving tonight.”

“Where are you going? I’ll send you back to Korea!”

“No, you stay here and figure out your feelings for Sunny. You only return when you know your answer. And I hope when you return, you’ll be sure of your heart. Don’t worry, I can find my way back home. I’ll see you around.”

Jessica left immediately; taking her things with her; leaving the confused Taeyeon into pieces.

Taeyeon closed her eyes and tears fell from the corner of her eyes. She slammed her fist into the wall and her knuckles bled immediately.

She was totally screwed up. Taeyeon was aware that her feelings for Jessica were replacement for Sunny. Jessica was right. She’s still in love with Sunny.

Taeyeon took her phone. She pondered for a few seconds.

What should she do?

-

Jessica was at the airport. She tried calling Yoona but her phone was turned off.

“Im Yoona, what the hell are you doing?!”

-

Yoona was already on the plane.  She clasped her hands together.

“Jessica Jung, wait for me.

-