Chapter 17

The Old & The New

Yuri was hugging Tiffany from her waist. They were at the park; enjoying the setting sun just above them. Tiffany enjoyed her moments like this with Yuri. She was determined to put Jessica behind her. She couldn’t do this to Yuri when Yuri has sacrificed so much for her.

“This is so beautiful.”

“Of course it is.”

“It’s even more beautiful because of you.”

“Tiffany..”

“Thank you for staying by my side all the time, Yuri.”

“It’s my pleasure, Tiffany.”

The smile on Tiffany’s face was such a joy to watch. Yuri just wanted Tiffany to smile forever. The couple just stayed like that for a couple more minutes.

Suddenly someone called out to Yuri. Yuri turned; Tiffany followed suit.

“Hyoyeon?”

Hyoyeon was on the way to Seohyun’s place when she saw Yuri with another girl. She smiled at Yuri and even bowed slightly at Tiffany. Both returned it.

“What are you doing here, Hyoyeon?”

“I’m on the way to my friend’s place. It has been a long time since I last saw you, Yuri.”

Yuri smiled. She introduced Tiffany to her Hyoyeon.

“This is Tiffany.”

“Ah, she’s you first love?”

“Yes, she is.”

“She’s beautiful. Hi Tiffany, I’m Hyoyeon.”

Tiffany could only smile politely.

“I’ll see you again.”

Hyoyeon nodded before leaving but Yuri stopped her. She wanted to know something but she wondered if she should ask. But Hyoyeon could read her mind.

“Yoona’s fine.”

“Oh, okay.”

“I know you wanted to ask about her, right?”

“Yes.”

“Honestly Yuri, she went through hell because of you. We had a hard time but I’m just glad she has pulled through those moments.”

Yuri’s heart broke a little.

“Please don’t let her know you saw me.”

“Don’t worry, I won’t. Take care of yourself, Yuri.”

Hyoyeon left immediately as Yuri looked on. Tiffany knew it hurt so badly for Yuri. She took Yuri’s hand and held tightly. Yuri turned to look at her.

“I’m sorry.”

“No, it’s not your fault.”

“I’m really sorry. If not for me, you will still be with her.”

“Don’t say anymore. I’m not leaving you.”

Yuri leaned forward and wrapped her arms around Tiffany. She hugged her tightly.

I’m sorry, Yoona. I’m really sorry.

-

“Boss, what are you doing?”

Jessica looked up. She was stoning.

“What?”

“Why are you always in a daze ever since you returned from Paris? Are you still thinking of Taeyeon?”

“No, I’m not. I’m just tired.”

“Boss, are you sure?”

“Yes, I’m pretty sure about it. What are you doing here anyway?”

“Lunch?”

“I’m not hungry.”

“Hey, this is your 4th time rejecting me. That Im Yoona also rejected my invitation!”

Jessica bit her lower lip.

“Soo Young, is Yoona alright?”

“Yoona? I think she’s okay.”

“Is she still crying?”

“Oh, about Seohyun? Nah, they’re good. They’re good friends now.”

“Oh, that’s good to know.”

“Wait, aren’t you contacting her anymore?”

Jessica sighed. It has been 3 weeks since they last contacted each other. For some reason, both were compelled to avoid each other. They felt it was just wrong now.

“We haven’t been talking much.”

“What?”

“It’s complicated.”

“You two are weird.”

“What?”

“Nothing, I’ll just call my darling then. I’m sure she’s going to scream at me for the last minute invitation.”

Soo Young left the room; leaving Jessica behind. The lady turned her chair around and faced the window. She felt guilty because she was the one who initiated that they shouldn’t be meeting often.

“Yoona, I’m sorry for what happened to Seohyun.”

“It’s not your fault. Don’t worry about it.”

“You love her right?”

Yoona avoided that question. She didn’t feel like answering it. She just shook her head and walked ahead of Jessica. The two ladies were walking around Paris; supposedly to enjoy the scenery but both ladies had too much on their mind.

Jessica’s heart was aching as she thought Yoona could only love Seohyun and never her. She was just here because they were good friends and Jessica needed her.

“Yoona, thank you for coming over.”

“Hm?”

“You flew all the way to Paris just for me. But Seohyun got the wrong idea.”

“I told you, it’s okay. It’s over anyway. Don’t harp on it anymore.”

Yoona snapped. She had enough of Jessica kept talking about Seohyun. But Jessica snapped as well. She was jealous.

“Look, I’m just worried about you!”

“I know you are but I told you, I’m fine!”

“Since Seohyun means so much to you, why did you come over?”

“Why are you still talking about her?!”

“You’re blaming me for your break-up, aren’t you? I didn’t ask you to come over.”

Yoona was furious. Jessica had no idea what was on her mind. She had no idea how much she worried about Jessica’s well-being. And she has never pointed her fingers at Jessica so what the hell was that about.

“What are you trying to say? I’m being nosey?”

Jessica knew she went overboard. She was grateful actually. In fact she felt relieved that Yoona was here but she couldn’t help feeling guilty about Seohyun.

“You should have remained in Korea.”

“This is how you think of me?”

“You’re mulling over her!”

“We broke up! Obviously I’m upset about it!”

“I broke up with Taeyeon too!”

“So, we both broke up with our other halves, so what are you talking about now?!”

“What I’m saying is, I shouldn’t bother you and Seohyun wouldn’t get the wrong idea!”

“STOP TALKING ABOUT SEOHYUN! WE’RE OVER!”

They fought in Paris. For some reason, both had too much on their minds and both were yelling at each other. It was quite a sight.

And now Jessica was missing Yoona because they fought. They quarrelled and Yoona returned to Korea first. Jessica decided to head to San Francisco for a week. She needed to be away from everybody.

Now a month later, she returned to Korea. Taeyeon was still in Paris but Jessica was more concerned about Yoona.

What the hell am I doing? What the hell I should do now?

-

“Seohyun!”

“What?”

“Your room is like a pig sty!”

“Excuse me, that’s not my room! It’s a store room!”

“Oh, shouldn’t you leave it alone?”

“Hyoyeon unnie, if you don’t want to clear out that room, then don’t!”

“You’re making me feel guilty!”

It was chaos at Seohyun’s place. Hyoyeon was there to help Seohyun to pack her place. Seohyun has found a job in an art museum in US. Someone saw her paintings and offered her a job.

“Do you have to go to US?”

“I’ve always wanted to. My late grandmother would be ecstatic to know that I’m going there to display her paintings.”

“Are you running away from Yoona?”

Seohyun’s face expression changed but she maintained a smile.

“It’s not because of that. We’re good friends now.”

“I know you are but Yoona’s still feeling guilty.”

“Is she?”

“Yeah, she hardly talks now. And you know what?”

“What?”

“She’s not contacting Jessica anymore. Maybe she realizes she is in love with you?”

“That’s impossible. We had a good talk when she returned the last time. She admitted she loves Jessica unnie.”

“Then why aren’t they talking to each other now?”

Seohyun shrugged her shoulders. Just then, someone appeared at her door step.

“Hi?”

“YOONAAAA~!”

“Woah, what happened?”

“Thank goodness you’re here! Come and help Seohyun pack her store room! I cannot take it anymore. The dust is attacking my poor nose!”

“I told you earlier on. You don’t have to help me!”

Hyoyeon just stuck her tongue out and dragged Yoona to help Seohyun. She decided to head out to buy some snacks.

“I’ll go buy something to eat. See you girls later!”

Yoona and Seohyun just looked at each other. Seohyun shook her head.

“She never changed!”

She mumbled and Yoona heard it. She giggled softly.

“Anyway I’m here. What do you need me to do?”

“I’m packing up these paintings.”

“Oh, okay.”

Yoona rolled her sleeves up and helped Seohyun. They worked in silence and Seohyun stole some glances at Yoona every now and then. She recalled Hyoyeon’s words. She was worried.

“Yoona, are you okay?”

“Hm? I’m good.”

“No, I mean are you okay, emotionally?”

“Why? Do I look like a mad woman?”

“I meant Jessica unnie.”

Yoona shrugged her shoulders.

“I thought you love her?”

“I don’t know. I feel weird being with her now.”

“Why? Because of me?”

Yoona shook her head.

“Don’t lie. How many times I’ve told you before? I’m okay with it.”

“Yes but I have feelings. I’m still a human being.”

“You’re too nice.”

Yoona smiled.

“I won’t ask further but promise something, Yoona?”

“What is it?”

Seohyun sighed.

“Find your true heart.”

“Seohyun…”

“Just promise you will and that you’ll be happy with Jessica unnie.”

Yoona couldn’t say anything after that.

-

Taeyeon finally returned from Paris. The first person she wanted to meet was Jessica Jung. She stood outside Jessica’s office; wondering if she should even appeared in front of Jessica like that.

“Taeyeon?”

Taeyeon was stunned to find Jessica staring at her.

“You went out?”

“Yeah, I went out for lunch.”

“Oh that’s right.”

“Is there anything you need to see me about?”

“Can we talk?”

“Sure, come on in.”

Taeyeon watched as Jessica pushed the door open and let her in. Taeyeon felt hopeless.  She held on to Jessica’s hands tightly; the latter was surprised.

“What’s wrong?”

“I’m sorry.”

“Huh?”

“I’m sorry for what happened to us. I felt like a fool. I was so shameful to meet you.”

“Is this what you wanted to talk about?”

“Jessica, I know I broke your heart. I didn’t mean to. I’m really sorry.”

“Taeyeon, it has been a month. And you apologised over the phone.”

“No, I wanted to apologise face to face. I still want to be your friend but I’m not sure if you still want to be my friend.”

Taeyeon was looking down. She was showing a little bit aegyo. Jessica giggled.

“What?”

Taeyeon was confused.

“You’re just so adorable in your own ways. Are you back with Sunny now?”

“Yes, we are.”

“That’s great!”

“Jessica, are you sure you’re okay?”

“Yes I am, silly toad. And I’m not angry with you. You’re still my superior and your friend.”

Taeyeon managed a sheepish smile and Jessica smacked her forehead with her file.

“OW!”

“That’s for hurting me though.”

“I’m sorry.”

“You’re forgiven.”

Taeyeon grinned. She finally could breathe properly. She thought Jessica was going to hate her. Then Taeyeon suddenly thought of Yoona.

“How are things with Yoona?”

“Huh?”

“Aren’t you with her now?”

“What makes you think that I’m with her?”

Taeyeon frowned.

“I thought I saw you with Yoona at the airport?”

“Tae, you cannot let Jessica be alone!”

“I know, but I was confused!”

“You have to bear responsible for her. Don’t worry, I’ll wait for you. Settle things with her first.”

Sunny was worried about Jessica and Taeyeon was grateful that both Jessica and Sunny were great girls. Taeyeon left for the airport to look for Jessica. She knew she had to bear responsible towards Jessica somehow. She was the one who whisked Jessica to Paris.

Taeyeon reached airport and was hoping Jessica would still be around. She did call back office and Soo Young said Jessica was still in Paris. Taeyeon ran around the airport.

“Jessica, please be here, please please!”

Taeyeon ran from one terminal to another. She was running like a madwoman but what she saw ahead of her was something she never thought of.

“Yoona?”

She saw Yoona and Jessica hugging each other.

-

“You saw us??”

“Yeah, I thought Yoona was there to comfort you.”

“She was.”

“Oh, so I was right?”

“Well, almost.”

Taeyeon frowned then her face lighted up immediately.

“YOU LIKE HER?!”

“Kim Taeyeon, why are you screaming so loudly!?”

“No, seriously! You like her?”

“Yes, I do. In fact, I have a confession to make. When we were together, I kinda like her already.”

“Huh?”

Taeyeon scrunched her eyebrows together.

“So technically, we both cheated each other.”

“Is that the reason why you’re not feeling anything now?!”

“Hey, I was upset! You left me!”

“Okay, don’t rub that into my face. I’m guilty of that I know!”

“Glad you know it. So don’t try to push the blame on me!”

“Bleah.”

Jessica giggled.

“So what are you doing now?”

“What?”

“Get her!”

“She’s not a toy.”

“I’m not even referring her to as one!”

“I don’t know what happened between us. We fought in Paris and haven’t talked ever since.”

“And you’re going to let it be like this?”

Jessica turned to look at Taeyeon.

“Come on, you miss her right?”

Jessica just kept quiet.

“Win her back. What if someone else take her away from you?”

Jessica was terrified at the thought of that.

“Don’t think so much. Find her and confess your heart to her.”

Jessica looked on.

-