Chapter 2

The Old & The New

Tiffany was staring out of the window. Her legs were numb. She couldn’t feel anything. Her heart was aching so badly but she was forced to leave her ex-girlfriend. She feared that her current condition would burden her ex-girlfriend too much.

“Hey, are you ready for your therapy?”

Tiffany turned to find her therapist who happened to be her best friend; standing at the doorway; looking in. She was smiling widely before making her way over to Tiffany. She kissed the crown of Tiffany’s forehead before kneeling in front of her.

“Yuri..”

“Hmm?”

“Thank you for staying by my side.”

“It’s my pleasure. You know I love you, right?”

Tiffany forced out a smile and Yuri cupped her hands around Tiffany’s cheeks.

“Don’t think so much.”

“Yuri, can I ask you something?”

“Yes, what is it?”

Tiffany bit her lower lip before asking.

“Don’t you miss Yoona?”

Yuri’s face changed. She shook her head.

“You left Yoona for me.”

“You’re my first love.”

“But you love Yoona so much.”

“I cannot leave you alone when you’re like this.”

“But Yuri..”

“You left Jessica because you didn’t want to burden her, right?”

Tiffany bit her tongue. She was trying hard not to cry. Just hearing her name would make Tiffany shed tears so easily.

“I cannot let you do this on your own, Tiffany. Let me stay by your side.”

“We’re stupid fools, aren’t we?”

“I guess so. But I’m sure Yoona will find someone better than me.”

Tiffany nodded; hoping the same for Jessica.

“I hope Jessica will do the same too.”

-

Yuri was back in her office after spending the last hour with Tiffany for her therapy session. She leaned against her chair and looked out of the window. In her hand was a photo of her and Yoona. She held on tightly.

Yuri was torn between Yoona and Tiffany. Tiffany was her first love. They were both from the same school. They went out for two years before Tiffany left for America. Yuri was devastated when Tiffany appeared at her doorstep with tears in her eyes; apologising for breaking her heart and ran off.

Yuri was trapped in Tiffany’s world and refused to wake up from it. She was lifeless; and almost dying even till the time she entered university.  Then Yoona came along; the fresh graduate who won her way into Yuri’s heart. It took Yuri a whole year before she agreed to go out with Yoona. She finally felt at ease but it was never enough.  Tiffany was still the best for her.

So a few years later, Yuri bumped into Tiffany in the street and both were surprised to see each other. Apparently Tiffany has returned to Seoul just a year ago and was seeing someone. Yuri also shared her story – and her relationship with Yoona. Both agreed to stay in touch and exchanged contact numbers.

Yuri was excited to know Tiffany was back. Her heart was filled with warmth each time she heard Tiffany’s voice over the phone. It was not a good thing but Yuri couldn’t care less. Tiffany’s voice was her antidote. Soon, Yuri was slowly growing distant from Yoona. They started quarrelling and Yuri wondered if she should let Yoona go.

Well, it was decided that she would after learning Tiffany was suffering a devastating sickness that was slowly eating Tiffany’s muscles; causing the girl to grow weaker over time.  Tiffany contemplated leaving her then-girlfriend, Jessica so that she wouldn’t feel so burdened by Tiffany’s medical condition. Yuri refused to let Tiffany be on her own and took the hard choice to break up with Yoona.

It was the most painful decision for Yuri. Up till now, Yuri felt guilty and heartache each time her mind subconsciously thought of Yoona. She didn’t want to do this but her love for Tiffany was much stronger.

“Let’s break up.”

“What? Why?!”

“I don’t love you anymore.”

“Is this about that girl, Tiffany?!”

Yuri looked away; her action was hurting Yoona so badly.

“Why does she have that I don’t?”

“She has my heart.”

Yuri was forced to harden her heart if she wanted to leave with Tiffany. Honestly, even though her love for Yoona wasn’t that strong to overcome this obstacle; but she truly and genuinely loved Yoona the best way she tried.

“I cannot believe I’m hearing this from you.”

“Yoona, she’s my first love.”

“I know.”

Yuri looked up; surprised. She hid this truth deep down in her heart. How did Yoona know?

“You didn’t need to know how I found out. You were just getting weird these few days and I remembered the story of your first love. Tiffany fit the description well.”

“Yoona..”

“Since you don’t love me anymore, I should leave.”

“Yoona.. I’m sorry.”

“Saying sorry is too cheap for you. You don’t deserve to be forgiven. Let me tell you now, Kwon Yuri. I’ll never ever forgive you.”

Yuri sighed as she recalled her last moments with Yoona. She wasn’t forgiven and Yoona didn’t plan to; not now; not anytime in the future. Yuri truly understood Yoona’s wrath towards her. And she couldn’t blame Yoona. It was her fault that this happened.

“I’m sorry, Yoona.”

Yuri gently caressed Yoona’s photo in her hand.

-

Tiffany pulled out the necklace; hidden underneath her shirt. There was ring dangling at the end of the chain. It was Jessica’s ring – the girl had given to her while they were together.  They were together for 10 years and Tiffany was so cruel to leave Jessica just like that.

Honestly, she knew she needed Jessica more than anyone else in the world but she couldn’t bear to watch or even hear Jessica crying over her because of her health condition. Jessica was such a high-flyer so she deserved something better than this; better than Tiffany.

Losing Jessica was the most painful regret in Tiffany’s lifetime history. 10 years of love was built over patience; faith and even promises but Tiffany tore it apart within seconds.  Saying goodbye to Jessica was almost impossible but Tiffany forced herself to do it.

“I’m leaving you.”

“What?”

“I said I’m leaving you.”

“What the hell are you talking about, Tiffany?!”

“Jessica Jung, which part of my words you don’t understand?”

“Everything! Why the sudden thought of leaving me? You’re joking with me right?”

“No, I’m serious. It’s over.”

“What..? Why?!”

“Our relationship has become stagnant. It was not like before anymore. I’m losing the sparks for you.”

“How could you say that? I love you so much! 10 years being with me means nothing to you?!”

“People change. Feelings can change too. That’s the obvious metaphor that you should understand.”

“You don’t love me anymore, Tiffany?”

“Yes, I don’t love you anymore.”

“Is there someone else?”

“No, I’m just tired of this relationship.”

“You’re lying!”

“I’m not, Jessica! I don’t care what you would say. I’m leaving you and that’s final. Goodbye Jessica.”

Tiffany’s tears fell uncontrollably. It was so difficult to say the word goodbye but she did. She could still hear Jessica’s pleading voice and cries in her ears when she begged Tiffany to stay with me. Tiffany was swayed to agree but vehemently stopped herself.

She walked out of the door; out of Jessica’s life without hesitations.

She didn’t want to but she was forced to. It was better than to let Jessica suffer with her.

-