Chapter 22

The Old & The New

Tiffany went up to Jessica’s apartment on her own. Yuri was waiting for her downstairs. She didn’t want to provoke Jessica anymore. She bit her lower lip as she pushed her wheelchair closer to Jessica’s apartment. She knew whatever that had happened was partly her fault. Jessica and Yoona deserve each other. She should put them back together.

She finally reached Jessica’s apartment. She stared at the front door for a couple of seconds before gingerly pressing the doorbell. She heard draggy footsteps and then the lock went unclick. The door was pushed forward and Tiffany moved her wheelchair aside. She looked up; Jessica was staring at her.

“What are you doing here?”

“Jessica, we need to talk.”

“What do you need to talk about?”

“It’s not about us. It’s about Yoona.”

Jessica’s eyes turned watery. Tiffany knew her ex-girlfriend’s heart was captured by Yoona. She felt irked and jealous but she didn’t have the right to feel that way in the first place.

“Let me come in?”

Jessica pushed the door outright and Tiffany pushed herself in. Jessica looked around and found nobody.

“You came alone?”

“Yuri’s downstairs.”

“Okay.”

Tiffany went in and Jessica closed her door after that. She took over the handles of the wheelchair and pushed Tiffany further into the living room.

“Any drinks?”

“Plain water will do.”

“Okay.”

Jessica disappeared into her kitchen as Tiffany looked around at the familiar sight of Jessica’s home. She came here often before; she could remember vividly of all the moments they shared together. She looked at the couch – Jessica used to hold her in her arms as they watched movies together.

“What are you watching?”

“I rented this movie – Frozen. It’s an animation.”

“Are you mocking me?”

“What?”

“Is this a pun to indirectly calling me an ice princess?”

“Sweetie, you’re a warm ice princess. Only I can make you warm.”

Jessica giggled as Tiffany leaned closer and kissed her forehead. Then the kisses went to the lips and before they knew it, they were making out in front of the television with Frozen playing on the background.

“Baby, we’re supposed to watch the movie!”

“You started it first!”

“You could have stopped me!”

Jessica smirked before pushing Tiffany down; leaning her body weight on the person lying below her.

“Do you wanna build a snowman?”

Jessica was singing along with the cartoon characters and Tiffany giggled.

“Do you want to freeze me to death?”

“Hmm, I only know how to make you warm.”

“Oh, really?”

“Of course! Do you want to try?”

“On the couch?!”

“Let’s try it!”

“YA!”

Jessica didn’t wait. She really made Tiffany real hot that night. It was pure pleasure.

-

“What are you staring at?”

Tiffany turned to find Jessica with two glasses of water in her hands. Tiffany was staring intently at the couch; reminiscing about the moments they had together. She shook her head.

“Nah, I was just stoning.”

Jessica shrugged her shoulders before putting the two glasses on the coffee table. Jessica sat comfortably on her sofa with Tiffany wheeling herself closer to Jessica. They were staring at each other and Tiffany could see the puffiness in Jessica’s eyes.

“Have you been crying?”

“Try being hurt in two relationships simultaneously; see if you’ll cry your heart out.”

Jessica’s sarcasm was difficult to stomach but Tiffany tolerated it well. Jessica was mad at her and Yoona for lying to her. Well, Yoona was an innocent victim so Tiffany was here to set things right.

“I know you’re mad at me.”

“I’m furiously mad at you for lying about everything.”

“Jessica, I have reasons for hiding this from you. It’s really difficult for me to watch you cry all the time. I’m now a burden to myself and the people around me.”

“But I love you! Shouldn’t I be shouldering this burden as well? We’re supposed to be married, Tiffany. I don’t care if I have to carry you for life! I love you so much; can’t you understand me?!”

“I know you love me so much that’s why I couldn’t put you through this with me.”

“And you allowed Yuri to come in and bear this with you?”

“Yuri came on her accord. I didn’t ask her to stay with me.”

“So you allowed Yuri to do so? Why?”

“Because Yuri wanted to be there for me. I know this sounds insane but Yuri made a promise that she’d stay with me no matter what happen in the future. I know I’m selfish enough to hurt you and Yoona because of Yuri.”

“Damn right, you are!”

“But Jessica, Yoona is innocent. She’s being dragged into this. Yuri often praised highly of her. Yoona has a heart of gold.  She’s forgiving. I know Yuri regretted leaving her like as much as I regretted leaving you.”

“But she’s the same like you. She lied to me!”

“She lied because she had a reason to do so. She’s equally hurting like you. Yuri left her for me. And it hurt Yuri so much to know that she was the same reason for Yoona’s heart to be broken this time.”

Jessica kept quiet.  Honestly, she misses Yoona a lot.

“Jessica, I know you love Yoona, right?”

Jessica looked away. She fell in love with Yoona because she was the best thing in the world that ever happened to her after Tiffany.

“We went through a lot together. I almost lost her to someone else and I almost ended up as somebody’s girl. But God was fair enough to bring us together.”

“He led you to her again, right?”

“I guess so.”

“Jessica, whatever happened between you and me has nothing got to do with Yoona. I saw your smile before. I saw you with Yoona before. You were so happy; your smile was so radiant and your face actually shone so brightly. Only Yoona could bring that out of you.”

“You saw me before?”

“Yes, I was with Yuri when I saw Yoona with you. The two of you were walking together.”

“How do I know that Yoona won’t hurt me like you did?”

“You just know. You know it better than me; it’s there in your heart.”

Jessica bit her lower lip. She looked away; probably thinking of Yoona at that moment. Tiffany could only smile bitterly. She knew she has lost Jessica from the day she left her.

“Find her, Jessica. Tell her you love her.”

“What about you?”

“I’ve lost my chance with you. I gave it up.”

“Will Yuri treat you right?”

Tiffany smiled.

“She has always been there for me since I was diagnosed with this illness.”

“You know I still love you, Tiffany.”

“Yes I know but your heart wants Yoona, right?”

Jessica nodded.

“Then find her. Don’t let her go.”

“I need to do something.”

“Sure, I’ll leave first. Take care okay?”

“Thanks Tiffany.”

Tiffany managed a smile.

-

Yuri was waiting in her car. She kept looking at her time and praying that Tiffany would be alright. Tiffany refused to let Yuri follow her earlier on. She didn’t want to provoke Jessica and Yuri reluctantly remained behind in the car. She had been waiting for close to an hour now. She assumed things were fine between Tiffany and Jessica.

She was minding her own business when her phone rang. She saw Soo Young’s name blinking on her ID caller. She frowned – why did Soo Young call her for?

“Yes Soo Young?”

“Where the hell are you now?”

“I’m at Jessica’s place.”

“What?”

“Tiffany came to talk with Jessica.”

“Okay, that’s great. Listen, I received a call from Yoona’s ex-girlfriend.”

“Ex-girlfriend?”

“Well, she was dating this girl for few months before she realized she was in love with Jessica.”

“Oh, what did she say?”

“Yoona’s leaving the country!”

“WHAT?!”

“Take Jessica with you and meet me at the airport!”

“Okay, I’ll be there!”

Yuri immediately got out from the car and ran all the way up to Jessica’s apartment. She saw Tiffany leaving the apartment and she rushed to her.

“Wait!”

“Yuri, what are you doing here?”

Tiffany was stunned to find Yuri preventing the door from closing and Jessica was glaring at her.

“Let it go! Are you insane?”

“Jessica, I know you hate me and my guts a lot. But this is important!”

“Tiffany’s leaving. You can take her with you.”

“No, I have to bring you along too!”

“Whatever for?!”

“Yuri, what’s going on?”

Tiffany reached out for Yuri’s hand. Yuri was panicking too much. Yuri turned to look at Tiffany with a panic gaze; she swallowed hard.

“Tiffany, Soo Young called me earlier on.”

Jessica snapped her neck to the right to face Yuri.

“Jessica, Yoona’s leaving the country and Soo Young asked to bring you to the airport right now!”

Jessica’s eyes grew larger.

-

Yoona was at the airport; she didn’t tell anyone about her departure. She needed time alone; she felt like she was losing every ounce of her life. Jessica snapped at her on the phone.

Yoona rushed to Jessica’s apartment. She pressed on the doorbell for umpteen of times. She even banged on the front door.

“Jessica, open up! Let me explain!”

“Go away! I don’t want to see you again!”

“Jessica, open up! I won’t leave until I get to see you!”

Jessica grudgingly opened up the door and glared at Yoona. Her eyes were completely red and puffy but Jessica stood her ground. Yoona, on the other hand, was worse off than Jessica. She was obviously crying a lot; her eyes were even redder than Jessica’s.

“Talk now.”

“Jessica, believe me when I said I love you. I really do!”

“But you lied to me! You knew about Tiffany!”

“Jessica, I don’t know that Tiffany hid about her illness from you. I only know that they’re together! Yuri told me she was going to return to Tiffany’s side!”

“Since you know I’m Tiffany’s ex-girlfriend, why didn’t you come clean with me?!”

“We didn’t really start well. We were enemies remember? I didn’t even expect myself to fall in love with you. Soo Young kept insisting that we made a good pair but we kept ignoring that fact without even realizing that we indeed fell in love with each other. You remember those times when we spent time together? We obviously have feelings for each other but because of what happened to us; what Yuri and Tiffany did to us; we were just too afraid to admit that we’re in love. I know how difficult it was to get over Tiffany. I just couldn’t confess to you that I know what happened to Tiffany.”

“I love you so much, Yoona. You took over my world and my heart. You’re almost the best for me; you’re even better than Tiffany. But what you did broke my heart. My fear of losing myself to pain and heartbreaking moments made me hate you now.”

“You hate me?”

“I hate the fact that you lied! I thought you were better than Tiffany!”

“Jessica, I love you so much. I didn’t mean to hurt you.”

“But you already did! I cannot trust you anymore.”

“Jessica..”

“Yoona, you know how hurt I was when Tiffany left me! I lost my trust in love. I don’t think we should be together anymore.”

“You’re going to give up on us? You’re going to leave me?”

“Maybe I shouldn’t fall in love in the first place. The pain is tormenting me. Just leave me alone, Yoona. I’m sorry.”

Yoona left Jessica’s house with a broken heart. She chided herself for not being truthful but how would she expect that things would turn out to be like this? Once again, Yoona was at the losing end. First it was Yuri, now Jessica. She was obliged to pin the blame on Tiffany but what could Tiffany do if she had to live her life on the wheelchair because of her illness.

So in the end, Yoona blamed herself. She couldn’t think anymore and somehow in her drunkard stupor, she made a long distance call to her someone who used to know her best.

“Yoona?”

“Seohyun..”

“Yoona, what are you doing up at this hour?  It’s 3pm here; in Korea it should be 3am now. Are you drunk?”

“Seohyun, I feel like dying.”

“Why? What’s wrong?”

“Can I visit you?”

“Huh?”

“Just say yes. I have nowhere to go now.”

Seohyun didn’t feel right about Yoona right now. She was certain Yoona was drunk. So she just agreed to whatever Yoona said and little did she know that Yoona was for real. The next morning Yoona called her and said she had booked an immediate flight.

Seohyun was stunned.

“Are you sure you’re coming over?”

“I just needed to be away for a few days.”

“What’s wrong with you, Yoona?”

“I’ll tell you when I see you there.”

“Okay, email me your itinerary. I’ll pick up you up from the airport.”

“Sure.”

So there she was at the airport; waiting for her flight. She just couldn’t think anymore. She just couldn’t stand being in the same place as Yuri or Jessica or even Tiffany.

She needed to be away.

“I’m sorry, Jessica. I’ll come back when I feel better.”

Tears fell from the corner of her eyes.

-

“CHOI SOO YOUNG!”

“Jessica?”

“WHAT DID SEOHYUN TELL YOU?!”

“Are you on the way to the airport now?”

“Yes, and Yuri, hurry up!”

Yuri nodded and drove a little faster. Tiffany was sitting in the front passenger seat. She watched as Jessica went hysterical at Soo Young.

“WHAT DID SHE SAY?!”

“She told Seohyun she’s coming over. She called Seohyun at 3 am and told her that she didn’t want to live here in Korea anymore. She couldn’t think at all. She was drunk and Seohyun thought she was just blabbering nonsense. But this morning Yoona called her again and told her that she has got herself the earliest flight out and leaving immediately. Seohyun knew something was not right so she called Hyoyeon and told me everything!”

Jessica’s heart sank. She pushed Yoona away. She was the one who drove Yoona away.

“What did you say to her, Jessica? What makes her wanting to leave eagerly? She’s not like this, Jessica. She wouldn’t do anything this rash!”

“I told her I couldn’t be with her.”

“WHAT? Didn’t Tiffany or Yuri explain things with you?”

“I was too clouded with my own problems and drowned in my own pain to even think about her! Tiffany spoke to me earlier on. I miss her, Soo Young. I was lying when I said I don’t need her anymore. I was just too blinded by the pain!”

“Sheesh, Jessica! I’m reaching airport soon. I’ll look for her with Hyoyeon. Find us there later!”

“Okay, please Soo Young, please don’t let her leave me! I love her, Soo Young, I really do!”

“I know that, Jessica. Just ask Yuri to hurry up!”

Yuri didn’t need to be reminded. She was already speeding at 120km/h. Tiffany in the meantime was looking at Jessica who was staring into the empty space. She must have regretted pushing Yoona away.  She leaned to the side and managed to reach out for Jessica’s hands. She held on tightly. Jessica turned to look at her.

“Don’t worry, we will stop Yoona from leaving.”

Jessica kept her silence. She just nodded her head and then looked out of the window. Tiffany looked on with sadness in her eyes. She knew she has completely lost Jessica to Yoona. And it hurts her to see Jessica suffering again; just because of her selfishness.

Tiffany recalled those moments when she first met Jessica.

-

“HWANG MIYOUNG!”

“GEEZ, LEO! STOP CALLING ME THAT!”

“YOU’RE HOGGING THE ROOM! HURRY UP!”

“FINE! I’M COMING OUT NOW!”

Tiffany was staring at her brother the moment she stepped out of the bathroom. He didn’t really care and managed to stick his tongue out before rushing to the bathroom. Tiffany rolled her eyes and then made her way back to her bedroom. Her sister was brushing her hair and putting on some make up. It was obvious that she was preparing for her date.

“Looking good, sis! Roger is really lucky!”

“Thank you and shut up!”

Tiffany grinned before leaving her room. She made her way down to the kitchen where her father was reading newspapers at the dining table.

“Hi Daddy!”

Her father looked up.

“Hi Sweetie, are you hungry?”

“A little.”

“I’ll cook. What do you want to eat?”

“Daddy, I feel like eating out. Do you have time for me?”

“Oh? I have to get back to office for a short while. Do you want to tag along? I’ll just take 15 minutes.”

“You sure? You lied to me the last time.”

Tiffany pouted her lips.

“Oh, that time was really important. I’m just there to pick up my golf clubs. I’m going golfing tomorrow with my friends.”

“Alright then, I’ll get change.”

“Are your brother and sister joining us?”

“They have dates. I don’t think they have time for us.”

“Alright then, I’ll get ready too.”

Tiffany was her daddy’s little girl. She was literally pampered the most by her father. He would give up anything for her and so when Tiffany confessed to him that she might be gay, her father totally understood the situation. His words to her were “just as long as you’re happy, sweetie.”

That was the same reason why Tiffany was extremely close to him. Her father drove back to his office and took his golf clubs. And as promised, he really took only 15 minutes and then the father-daughter couple drove to the nearest eatery.

Tiffany enjoys fast food but her father was concerned with the fatty food that she had been taking all this while. So he took her to the place that he used to dine in with his business partners. Tiffany liked it. It was near to the seaside. It was like a beach house.

“Wow, this is awesome.”

“Yeah, it’s my friend’s restaurant. He has decided to open up a little eatery near to his house.  Did you see that huge house behind it?”

Tiffany turned and saw it. She nodded her head.

“That’s his house; he lives here with his wife and his two daughters. One of them is here but the other one is working in Korea.”

“Oh, so they’re Koreans too?”

“Yes, they’re just like us – Korean Americans. I’ll introduce you to him later.”

“Okay!”

Tiffany ordered seafood pasta and smoked salmon with salad. She enjoyed the food really well. It was really clean and healthy.

“Dennis!”

Tiffany turned. Somebody was calling her father.

“Chris!”

Tiffany saw a quite-good looking middle aged man swimming through the crowd of people in front of them before reaching out for her father’s hand. They shook hands and gave each other a hug. Tiffany looked on. This must be her father’s friend – the owner of the restaurant.

“It has been a long time!”

“I’ve been busy.”

“Oh, you have company.”

“Meet my daughter, Tiffany, Chris.”

Tiffany stood up and bowed slightly.

“Tiffany, this is Uncle Chris.”

“Hello Uncle Chris.”

“Hi Tiffany! Wow, you’re really beautiful!”

Tiffany giggled softly. Uncle Chris was really funny.

“Where’s your family?”

“Oh, they’re at the back. My eldest daughter is here too!”

“Oh? Jessica’s back?”

“Yeah, she took a month leave to spend time with us. Krystal was ecstatic to see her. Come, I’ll introduce them to you!”

Uncle Chris instructed his waiter to help the Hwangs with their food. He invited them into his home. His family was sitting at the dining table.

“Honey, we have company.”

A lady turned and she was smiling widely.

“DENNIS!”

“ALICE!”

“AHEM!”

“Oh come on, he’s my senior in university. We’re just friends.”

“Well, you’re still my wife.”

“Chris, you’re embarrassing me!”

Tiffany looked on as the adults were teasing each other. She turned to her left to find two other younger ladies were staring at them as well. The older one was attractive.

“The kids are watching!”

“Oh, I forgot! Kids, do you remember Uncle Dennis?”

“I do!”

The younger one screamed.

“Uncle Dennis Hwang?”

“Yes, Jessica. Dennis, this is Jessica.”

“Oh my, she has grown beautifully!”

Tiffany was staring at Jessica. Her father was damn right about that. She’s really beautiful.

“Jessica, meet Tiffany. She’s Uncle Dennis’s youngest daughter.”

Jessica smiled; Tiffany did the same. It was a mutual feeling between both of them. They were attracted to each other.

-

“You like her?”

“Krystal, keep quiet!”

“Sis, it’s so obvious!”

“Yes, but oh my god, can you just shut up?! She’s in the living room!”

“Did you make eyes at her just now?”

“I DID NOT!”

“YOU DID TOO!”

“Girls, what’s wrong with the both of you?”

“Mom, Sica unnie is in love with Tiffany!”

“SHEESH! JUNG SOOJUNG!”

“I know that. I can see it.”

“MOM!”

“Oh come on Jessica, you were staring at her all the while.”

“Mom, can we stop this?”

“Have you gotten closer to her?”

“What?”

“It has been 2 weeks. Are you two closer now?”

Jessica and Tiffany have been spending their time together almost every day. They clicked so well and since then, the two ladies did shopping together; hanging out at the movies and even took short trips across the cities.

“Yeah, sort of. But I’m not sure if she likes me. Or if she’s even something like me.”

Jessica Jung is the gay in the family. Her sister prefers guys but Jessica prefers her own gender. It was something her parents have embraced. They didn’t love her less. They love her even more.

“Well, from what I could see, she might be.”

“Mom, don’t put my hopes high.”

“Oh come on, Mom’s always right with her sixth sense!”

Jessica couldn’t argue with that. The last time she dated this girl, her mom told her that the girl was not the one; she was right. The girl cheated on Jessica.

“Okay fine. But just let things take its natural course, okay?”

“Fine by me. But stop staring at her! You look like a ert!”

“KRYSTAL JUNG!”

Jessica threw the box of tissue at Krystal which the girl ducked and it went straight into Tiffany’s face. It was an awkward silence before Mrs Jung came forward to check on the surprised Tiffany.

“I’m sorry, Tiffany! Girls, shame on you!”

“I’m sorry, Fany unnie! It was Jessica unnie who threw that!”

“YOU!”

“It’s okay, I’m fine.”

“Sorry, Tiffany.”

Jessica stuck her tongue out and Tiffany found it cute. She giggled instead.

“It’s really okay, Jessica. It’s just a tissue box.”

Tiffany’s eye smile got Jessica’s heart beating like mad. It really went crazy when Tiffany came nearer.

-

“Why are you alone here?”

Jessica jumped in her seat when she heard that voice. She quickly turned to find Tiffany walking towards her. She smiled widely.

“I’m just enjoying the night sea breeze.”

“It’s really cold out here.”

“Yeah, do you have a jacket with you?”

“I’m wearing a cardigan. Can I join you?”

“Sure, come over here.”

Jessica was sitting at the verandah just behind her house. It was facing the sea and Jessica really loves to sit there as the open sea was facing her.

“It’s really nice here.”

“I grew up at this house; I really enjoy living here.”

“I heard from my father that you’re working in Korea?”

“Yes, I took up my dream job but I have to work in Korea.”

“That’s awesome.”

“You’re spending time with your family after quitting your last job?”

“Yeah, I was working in Korea too. But I quit my job and returned to US. I wanted to see my family and spend time with them.”

“Are you planning to look for a job?”

“Maybe, but not now; I needed more rest.”

Jessica laughed and nodded her head.

“I understand what you mean. I took a month’s leave to spend time with my family.”

The two ladies smiled and sat in silence. Jessica stole some glances and Tiffany did the same too. Suddenly something fell in front of them. Jessica screamed and Tiffany did the same too. They hugged each other tightly.

“ARGHHH!”

“Meowwww....”

Jessica turned to find a cat cuddling up to her legs. She then realized she was holding on to Tiffany tightly.

“Err.”

“I’m sorry!”

Tiffany pulled away.

“Nah, it’s okay. It was just some cat.”

Jessica knelt down and caressed the cat’s fur. It purred cutely.

“Aw, so this is the culprit who shocked the out of us both.”

“Yeah, he’s a permanent resident at this verandah. I kinda miss him. He must have jumped down from the roof.”

“Is he yours?”

“Nah, he’s the beach cat. But he’s always here for food.”

Jessica went over to a small cabinet at the corner of the verandah. Tiffany followed suit and saw a cat biscuits with a cat food tray. Jessica poured out the biscuits onto the tray and put it on the floor. The cat quickly ate up; purring and mewing at the same time.

“You like cats?”

Tiffany was fond of animals. So she wondered if Jessica had the same interest.

“Well, I’m a little afraid of big dogs. I’m still fine with cats.”

“That’s awesome.”

Both of them were bending down at the same time to pat the cat but they knocked each other’s heads instead. Both of them looked up at the same time and realized they looked like stupid fools; staring and gazing at each other. But Jessica wanted something more. She could feel a certain vibe from Tiffany but she wasn’t too sure.

She then put her hand behind Tiffany’s neck as Tiffany’s arms went around her waist. They pulled each other closer and slowly leaned towards each other. First, their foreheads touched; then their noses before their lips found each other.

“God, your lips..”

“Jessica, I...”

“Wait, don’t say it. Let’s just enjoy this kiss.”

And indeed they did. They were practically making out with each other; with the beach cat mewing and purring at them like as though he was approving their relationship.

-

“Tiffany?”

“Huh?”

“Let’s go?”

“We’ve reached?”

“Yes, and Jessica has ran off. Are you alright? You were in a daze.”

“Nothing, help me Yuri. Let’s go find Yoona.”

Yuri pushed the wheelchair in and Tiffany could see Jessica running around; like a lost child. It hurt her that she has lost Jessica’s heart.

I guess I’m letting you go now, Jessica. You’re no longer in love with me anymore.

-