Chapter 14

The Old & The New

“Miss Kim, welcome home!”

Jessica was surprised when the bellboy greeted Taeyeon that way. In fact, everyone was bowing down to her and Taeyeon just gave them that acknowledging smile as they walked past them. She held Jessica’s hand tightly like as though Jessica might slip away from her. Well, it might be if Taeyeon was not careful.

“Err, Taeyeon? Why are they greeting you like that?”

“My grandfather owns this hotel. In fact, few hoteliers in Europe belong to my grandfather.”

“Kim Taeyeon, are you rich by any chance?”

“I’m filthy rich, Miss Jung.”

“How filthy rich are you?”

Taeyeon just smiled before leaning closer to whisper in Jessica’s ears. The lady was shocked.

“WHAT?!”

“Don’t look at me like that.”

“You’re Donny Kim’s granddaughter?!”

“Well, yes. But not many people know about that.”

Apparently, Taeyeon’s grandfather is one of the richest men in the world. But not many people know much about Donny Kim’s family as he’s really private about his personal issues.

“Your grandfather is very private person.”

“He doesn’t want his grandchildren to be scrutinized by the media. He loves us a lot.”

“So I’m dating Donny Kim’s granddaughter?”

“I’m his 1st granddaughter; 5th grandchild. Yes, you’re dating Donny Kim’s granddaughter.”

“1st granddaughter has many privileges isn’t it?”

“Well, he dotes on me the most.”

Their conversation continued all the way back to Taeyeon’s presidential suite at the most upper level floor. Jessica was awed.

“This is my place.”

“What?”

“This is not open to the hotel guests. In fact, this hotel belongs to me. My grandfather gifted me with this hotel when I was 21.”

Taeyeon took out her coat; Jessica’s mouth had already dropped to the floor.

“Why are you so surprised?”

“You don’t look that kind of filthy rich kind of lady.”

Taeyeon chuckled softly. She then went up to Jessica and enveloped her into a tight hug. Jessica rest her back against Taeyeon’s chest.

“Our riches won’t go with us when we die. We need to leave them all behind. I just wanted to live normally. That’s why I went to Korea and found a job there.”

“You’re already capable.”

“Well, I have to thank my grandfather for it. He taught me a lot.”

Jessica was full of admiration for Taeyeon. Despite being rich, she was kind, humble and pleasant to everyone around her.

“Are you hungry?”

“A little bit.”

“Do you want to grab something to eat?”

“I’d love to.”

“Okay, get change. We’ll eat out.”

“Okay!”

The lovers got changed and left the hotel. They were driven around in Paris by a limousine and Jessica felt like a princess; sitting next to Taeyeon. They stopped at a bistro and someone was already shouting for Taeyeon.

“KIM TAEYEON!”

Jessica and Taeyeon looked up immediately and Taeyeon’s facial expression turned really bright. She left Jessica’s side for a moment and ran up to another lady who had her arms spread wide open.

“LEE SOON KYU!”

“STOP CALLING ME THAT!”

The lady managed to wham her fist at Kim Taeyeon’s forehead.

“I MISS YOU SUNNY!”

“Miss you too, dork!”

Jessica looked on; unsure how she should react. She just stood there; watching the two ladies hugging and hitting each other. The commotion finally stopped when Sunny poked her head out over Taeyeon’s shoulders. She saw Jessica staring at them. She managed a smile.

“Who’s that?”

“Oops! I forgot!”

Taeyeon went over to Jessica’s side and pulled her along. Sunny was watching them.

“Sunny, meet my girlfriend, Jessica.”

Jessica saw the changes on Sunny’s face. The smile faded almost quickly but nevertheless Sunny managed to put her hand out.

“Hi, I’m Sunny.”

“Jessica here.”

The two ladies shook their hands firmly.  Taeyeon was clueless about the tension building between Jessica and Sunny. Well, it was more coming from Sunny.

“I brought her here because you have the best pasta!”

“Oh? You miss my pasta?”

“Of course! I don’t really eat pasta in Korea. But I’ll definitely eat yours!”

Jessica looked on and noticed how happy Taeyeon was when she was with Sunny. She wondered about their relationship.

“Come on in! You too, Jessica.”

“Oh, okay.”

The three ladies walked in and Taeyeon was already putting her arm around Sunny but her hand was still holding on tightly to Jessica’s.  Jessica suspected that they were more than just friends – could Sunny be one of Taeyeon’s ex-girlfriends? Jessica was curious to know.

-

“PARIS?!”

“Yes, Taeyeon just whisked her off to somewhere and now they are in Paris.”

“Wow, that’s so romantic!”

“I’m sure Jessica will be happy with Taeyeon. Taeyeon is so perfect for her.”

“Yes, I do think so too!”

“When is the food? I’m getting hungry!”

“Ya baby, you’re so anti-!”

“Soo Young unnie, you should know Hyoyeon unnie by now.”

“I do, that’s why I sometimes wonder why I love her so much.”

“You’re practically stuck on me, baby!”

The three ladies laughed except for one. She was frowning away upon hearing the news that Jessica and Taeyeon were in Paris right now. It was so frustrating and almost comical. She just saw Jessica yesterday and today she was in Paris.

“Im Yoona, what are you fretting about?”

Yoona looked up and saw Soo Young glaring at her.

“What?”

“We need to talk about last night.”

Seohyun looked up instantly.

“What’s about last night?”

“Yoona returned home drunk.”

Seohyun turned to look at Yoona; she was worried and Yoona wished she could stuck her socks into Soo Young’s mouth.

“What’s wrong baby?”

“Nah, I was just confused about something.”

“What are you confused about?”

Soo Young asked. Hyoyeon continued eating; completely ignoring the conversation.

“This client of mine is too demanding. I’m not sure what he wants.”

“That’s it? And it got you drunk like that?”

“Is Jessica unnie giving you a lot of trouble?”

This time Soo Young jerked her head towards Seohyun before turning to Yoona. Yoona knew she was in a deep . She had to answer carefully.

“No, Jessica wanted to ask about interior design. I was with her yesterday but I went drinking alone.”

“Aw, poor baby. You must be really stressed out.”

“Yeah, I am.”

“Come here, you!”

Seohyun pulled Yoona closer and hugged her tightly. She then gave a peck on Yoona’s lips. The lady blushed a little.

“Wow, Seohyun. I didn’t know you’re so brazen!”

“Hyoyeon unnie, you have to talk now?!”

“I only remember you as a shy kid.”

“Shut up.”

Yoona giggled before pulling Seohyun closer. She hugged the latter gently and Seohyun melted instantly. Soo Young was still staring at Yoona and she knew Yoona was avoiding her eyes.

Soo Young wasn’t convinced.

She knew something was going on between Yoona and Jessica.

-

“Tiffany, what are you doing?”

Yuri was stunned to find Tiffany in the kitchen.

“I’m making you lunch.”

“I can do it.”

“No, I want to do it for you. You have been looking after her all the while. You’re not feeling well today.”

Yuri was down with flu and she had to skip work because it got really bad. Tiffany forced her to rest in bed and she made breakfast for her this morning.  Now she wanted to make lunch too.

“I’ll help you.”

“Okay.”

“What do you need me to do?”

“Can you help me with the chicken?”

“Sure!”

Yuri went over to the sink and cut the chicken s into slices. Tiffany was frying the vegetables. Yuri looked on and realized how much Tiffany has changed. She went up to her and took over. Tiffany looked at her.

“I can do this.”

“I know you can but I don’t want you to.”

Tiffany frowned.

“Let me do everything for you.”

“You’re pampering me too much.”

“You deserve to be pampered.”

“Yuri..”

“You remember what I said to you before?”

Tiffany nodded. Of course she remembered.

“Just as long as you’re my girl, I’ll do everything for you.”

“Yuri, you’re too silly.”

“I love you, Tiffany. It’s not going to change.”

Tiffany hugged Yuri tightly. But she didn’t expect Yuri to say something else.

“I know you love Jessica more now.”

“Yuri!”

“I know, Tiffany. I’m not stupid.”

“I love you too.”

“Yes, but not as much as you love Jessica.”

“Yuri, Jessica has become a part of me.”

“I’m aware of that. And because you love her so much that you left her despite how painful it was.”

“You did the same too.”

“I’m not good enough for Yoona.”

“Why do you say that? You love her sincerely, right?”

“Yes, but I was still the one who broke her apart so miserably.”

“It was all because of me.”

“No, I just chose to stay with you because I couldn’t bear to watch you suffer like that in silence. Let’s not talk about this anymore. We have left them; we don’t deserve to talk about them like that. We both broke their hearts together.”

Tiffany broke down in tears. Yuri was right. She didn’t have the privilege to talk about Jessica anymore. Yuri wrapped her arms around Tiffany and hugged her tightly.

“Don’t worry. I’ll always be here for you; by your side for the rest of your life.”

Those words were comforting yet they hurt so much.

-

“Im Yoona, we need to talk.”

Yoona was stunned to find Soo Young at the front door of her office. They met for lunch earlier on and Yoona sent Seohyun home. She needed to do some urgent stuff so she went back to her office for a short while.

“What is it?”

“Are you in a hurry?”

“I promised Seohyun I’ll be back before dinner.”

“It won’t take long. We just talk in here.”

Soo Young closed the door behind her and sat in front of Yoona. Yoona put her work away and gave Soo Young her fullest attention.

“Is there something wrong?”

“What’s wrong last night?”

“What?”

“I don’t buy your story. You won’t bring your work problems out of this office. You’re so professional in that sense. You’re obviously confused over something and I saw that pain look in your eyes this morning.”

Yoona couldn’t really escape Soo Young. She’s her best friend since they were in elementary school.

“It’s nothing serious, Soo Young. I’m just stupid sometimes.”

“You’re always stupid all the time. And how come you were with Jessica last night? I thought she took leave because she had an urgent family matter to attend to?”

Yoona knew nothing about that. Jessica must have said that to Soo Young when she needed to be away from work suddenly.

“You’re with her all the while?”

“Soo Young, are you suspecting something?”

“Yes, I know you well. That look in your eyes is expressive without you saying anything.”

“Stop looking into them, then.”

“Im Yoona, answer me truthfully.”

“What is it?”

Soo Young was suspecting something but she wasn’t too sure. Nevertheless she had to know.

“Are you in love with Jessica Jung?”

Yoona was stunned.

-

Jessica looked on as Sunny and Taeyeon talked about their past. She didn’t interrupt them and somehow she felt like she was the third party. Sunny noticed it and quickly turned to look at her. Jessica was taken aback.

“So Jessica, how do you meet this dork here?”

“Stop calling me that!”

“Once a dork, forever a dork.”

“Shut up.”

Jessica was tickled at their constant bickering.

“Well, she’s my superior.”

Sunny gasped and hit Taeyeon’s arm hard.

“OW!”

“You took advantage of your subordinates?!”

“No, I’m not!”

“Oh come on! That’s how you got me back then!”

“What?!”

“I was your junior in the music class! You bullied me!”

“Okay, I didn’t bully Jessica!”

“BIAS DORK!”

“OH MY GOD! CAN YOU STOP CALLING ME THAT?!”

Jessica was right. She had this hunch that Sunny could be Taeyeon’s ex-girlfriend.

“So you were her girlfriend before?”

Taeyeon and Sunny were shocked.

“Don’t look so surprise. Everyone has a past.”

“Jessica, don’t get the wrong idea. We dated before but we’re just friends now!”

Taeyeon was quick to defend herself and Jessica saw the hurt look on Sunny’s face. She knew Sunny could still possibly harbour feelings for Taeyeon.

“Nah, I’m just curious. Sunny looks like a great lady.”

“She is. She’s perfect in her own ways.”

Sunny’s face radiated when Taeyeon complimented her that way. Jessica was amused.

“So why did you choose me?”

“Jessica, I told you before. Love doesn’t need any reason.”

“Well, there must be something in me that attracted you.”

“Yeah, she’s right. Dork, why do you love Jessica?”

Taeyeon was smiling when she suddenly caressed Sunny’s cheeks gently.

“She reminded me of you.”

Jessica was surprised but yet she was even more appalled when her heart told her this was perfect.

“What are you talking about?!”

“What?! You asked!”

“Yes, but don’t be a ert and touch my cheeks!”

“Oh my god, I swear you’re driving me up the wall sometimes!”

The two exes continued bickering while Jessica was confused with her own heart.

“Why are you so happy to hear that? And why are you calling out Yoona’s name like that? Jessica Jung, are you insane?!”

Jessica was completely flabbergasted when Yoona invaded her mind. And she was missing that girl.

-

“Are you in love with Jessica Jung?”

“Are you insane? She’s with Taeyeon unnie.”

“Well, I’m just asking. Why are you so defensive?”

“You’re seriously insane.”

“Yoona, you can lie to me but you cannot lie to your heart.”

“I don’t have any feelings for Jessica.”

“You two seem close now.”

“We’re just friends.”

“Okay, then. I just wanted to be sure. You have Seohyun now. She’s a nice girl. You saw just now how she treated you.”

“I know that very well. I’ll not let her down.”

Soo Young nodded and got up. She was about to leave when she suddenly turned.

“Yoona, as a friend, I want to let you know. It’s better to follow your heart.”

“What are you talking about now?”

“What I mean is, don’t regret in the future.  You should follow your heart. Listen to it and you’ll be happier.”

Yoona was frustrated. Seohyun was sleeping beside her but she couldn’t get to sleep. She was frustrated, agitated and she felt like throwing herself against the wall. Soo Young’s words kept playing on her mind like as though it was on replay mode.

“Listen to my heart?”

Yoona tried listening but she was afraid of the answer. She knew her heart was set on someone else; not the girl beside her.

“Come on heart, don’t do this to me. I’m supposed to love Seohyun.”

But her heart told her otherwise and it made Yoona confused.

“I thought you hated her?”

Yoona felt like an idiot talking to herself but her heart was really adamant about this.

“You’re in love with Jessica Jung; not Seohyun. Stop hurting yourself and the two ladies like that. Listen to me and you’ll be happy. Trust me.”

She hated herself.

-

Taeyeon was fast asleep but Jessica was still wide awake. She went over to the living room to watch some television. She didn’t want to disturb Taeyeon. Suddenly her phone beeped.

Jessica saw that person’s name.

“Yoona?”

She whispered softly but nevertheless took her phone. She was smiling widely when she saw Yoona’s message.

[Hey, I hope you’re enjoying yourself in Paris.]

Jessica replied.

[Paris is fine. But it feels weird. How are you doing?]

The reply came swiftly.

[I’m fine. Why aren’t you sleeping?]

[It’s only 4pm now.]

[Oh, that’s right. You’re on the other side of the world.]

[Why aren’t you sleeping? It should be past midnight now.]

[I cannot sleep. Can you accompany me?]

Jessica smiled widely. Of course she would. She misses her.

[Stupid girl, I’m going to charge you.]

[I’ll pay for your expensive phone bill.]

[That’s more like it. So, what did you do today?]

And the messaging went on for the next two hours.

-