Chapter 27

The Old & The New

“Yuri! Yuri!”

“What did you do?!”

“She fainted!”

“Of course she would faint! She thought you died!”

“Can you help me here?! She’s not getting lighter!”

Yoona was holding on to the unconscious Yuri. The poor lady fainted instantly the moment their eyes met. It was probably too much for Yuri to handle.

Yuri saw Tiffany in the wheelchair; she was crying. Taeyeon was crying too. She didn’t like the look of this. Her steps were getting heavier. Soo Young and Hyoyeon were facing them; they too were crying their eyes out.

“What’s going on? Please don’t tell me they found Yoona’s body?”

Yuri couldn’t stop guessing. She suddenly felt afraid to come nearer. She came to a halt when she realized her feet just refused to move anymore.  Just then, Tiffany turned and saw Yuri. She cried out her name.

“YURI!”

Tiffany quickly wheeled herself towards Yuri. Yuri went down on her knees and stared into Tiffany’s eyes. Tiffany’s eyes were extremely red. Yuri couldn’t bear to hear the news. She just hugged Tiffany tighter.

“Please don’t tell me she’s gone, Fany.”

“I’m sorry, Yuri.”

“She’s really gone, Fany?”

Yuri whispered with her shaky voice. She just couldn’t believe it. She was hoping that Yoona was alive but now the reality has sunken in. Yoona’s really gone.

“I’m sorry, Yuri. Please be strong.”

Yuri broke down immediately. She cried bitterly; her heart ached so much.

“I love her, Tiffany. I love her so much. I regret not telling her the truth about my heart. I thought I could live without her but now, I don’t know if I could anymore.”

“I’m sorry, Yuri. But I’ll be here.”

Yuri’s tears wouldn’t stop flowing. She clenched her fists tightly. She really wanted Yoona back in her life. She didn’t care if it was just friends; she just wanted Yoona back in her life; in her world.

“Yuri, I’ll leave you alone for awhile?”

“Okay, I need that. Thanks Tiffany.”

Tiffany left Yuri alone. Yuri went to the playground and climbed to the top of the slide. Her mind was clouded with memories of Yoona – just her and Yoona. Yoona was easy to love. She didn’t make life difficult for Yuri either when this dumb fool initiated a break up. Yoona just let her go and Yuri regretted it so much.

With her knees bended, she pulled them closer as she rested her chin on them. She felt like her heart was wrenching so much. She wished this was just a dream instead.

“Yoona, I miss you.”

Suddenly someone knelt down behind her and held Yuri’s shoulders. Yuri thought it was Soo Young. She didn’t bother to turn around.

“Soo Young, I’ll be fine. You don’t have to worry about me.”

“Yuri…”

Yuri was stunned. She slowly turned behind to find Yoona smiling at her. She fainted immediately.

-

“Yuri?”

Yuri was slowly waking up. Her head was spinning like mad but the moment her eyes opened, she saw her “dead” girlfriend peering into her with concern.

“ARGHHHHHHHHHHH!”

“Hey! Relax!”

“You’re supposed to be dead!”

Yuri’s finger was pointing weakly at Yoona. The younger lady looked on and then sighed.

“Yuri, I’m still alive.”

“But…”

“I didn’t get on the plane.”

“Huh?”

“It’s going to be a lonnnnggg story but you need to calm down.”

Yuri turned to look at Soo Young, Tiffany, Taeyeon and Hyoyeon. They were peering over Yoona’s shoulders.

“Aren’t you supposed to be in a shock?”

“We just did; a while ago. She’s taking turn to scare the of everybody.”

Yuri was frowning away.

“Yuri ah, this is Yoona. She’s not dead yet.”

“Fany, I’m not dreaming right?”

Tiffany pinched her arm. Yuri flinched with a painful expression on her face.

“Yoona, is that really you?”

“Yes, it’s really me! Do you want to touch my face?”

Yuri gradually lifted her hands up and cupped around Yoona’s cheeks. They were warm and Yoona’s eyes were already b with tears. Yuri’s eyes were already watering.

“Yoona, it’s really you! You’re still breathing!”

“Of course I am, silly girl.”

Yuri’s tears fell immediately the moment she realized that Yoona hasn’t left her yet. She was in her arms right now and it felt so surreal. She pulled Yoona closer and hugged her tightly. Yoona responded to her hug and even planted a soft kiss on Yuri’s forehead.

“Yoona..”

“Hey Yuri, I’m fine now okay?”

“You don’t have any idea how my world just collapsed when I thought you perished in that crash. I thought I’ve lost you forever. I cannot lose you, Yoona.”

Yoona’s heart softened.  She never knew how much she means to Yuri until now. Yuri buried her face in her neck and cried bitterly. The pain she felt was tremendously overwhelming. Her soul almost faded and it was draining her energy after some time. But upon seeing Yoona in a flesh, Yuri could feel her heart beating properly all over again.

Tiffany looked on; she felt a little green with jealousy but she knew Yuri was releasing her anger and heartache at the same time. Yoona looked up. She saw Tiffany staring at them.

“Yuri, I’m sorry I made you worry. But I promise you, I’ll never leave your side.”

“You better not. I’ll kill you.”

“But someone else would love to stay by your side as well.”

Yuri was frowning away.

“Who are you talking about?”

Yoona turned slightly and went on her knees. Yuri followed through. Soo Young knew who Yoona was referring to so she pushed Tiffany’s wheelchair closer to them.

Yoona smiled widely.

“Tiffany unnie cares about you. I’m sure she has been by your side all the time when you thought I’d died. Hasn’t she?”

Yuri slowly turned to look at Tiffany who was looking away. She remembered that first night when they found out about the plane crash. Tiffany found her at the playground and promised to be by her side no matter what.

“She loves you. I bet she loves you more than I ever did.”

Tiffany snapped her head immediately to Yoona’s direction.

“You two belong to each other. You love each other so deeply that even after going round one cycle, you still ended up together.”

“Yoona..”

“I’m glad I gave you up to Tiffany unnie. She’s the one for you.”

Yoona then turned to Tiffany and pulled out her hand.

“You remember your promise to me?”

Tiffany nodded.

“I’m returning Yuri to you now. Love her well and take good care of her. I’ll always be by your side; both of you so please love each other well.”

Yoona placed Yuri’s hand above Tiffany’s and Yuri took the opportunity to grip on it tightly.

“Tiffany, I’ve never given up on you. I promised you once and I’ll promise you again. I will love you for the rest of my life.”

“I love you too, Yuri. I’m going to focus my all on you. Please don’t give up on me yet.”

“I’ve never done that and I’ll never do that.”

Tiffany pulled Yuri closer and hugged her tightly. Soo Young, Hyoyeon and Taeyeon looked on with a smile while Yoona chuckled to herself. She felt great putting her ex and her gf’s ex together. Now the only person left was Jessica Jung.

It was time to play a trick on her.

-

“WHAT?!”

Yuri had the most shocking reaction when Yoona wanted to play a trick on Jessica.

“Are you not agreeing to this?”

“She’s going to kill you.”

“You know, you’re the 3rd person telling me that.”

“Are you insane, Yoona? You forgot the reason why she pushed you away?”

“No, I didn’t forget. But I would like to see her reaction. It’s only fair. Technically, she broke her heart.”

“But her heart already died when you were supposed to be dead.”

Yoona rolled her eyes.

“Stop cursing me.”

“Yuri ah, I don’t think it will hurt.”

“Fany, you agree to this? She’s going to play a trick on your ex-girlfriend!”

Tiffany grinned.

“Soo Yeon is a stubborn woman who needs to be shaken to understand what she might have lost because she acted like she didn’t care.”

Yuri narrowed her eyes.

“Don’t worry, Yuri. Jessica will never kill us. Maybe she would to Yoona.”

“Thanks for cursing me again. My life has been shortened by 50% with all the cursing.”

“Can we get into action now?”

Everybody turned to Taeyeon.

“What? Tiffany’s right. Jessica Jung is a stubborn woman. It won’t hurt to see her in despair right?”

Everybody concluded the most evil person in the group was Kim Taeyeon.

-

“No, Yoona! No!!!!!!!!!!”

Jessica screamed and sat up immediately. She was panting hard as beads of perspiration rolled down from her sweaty forehead. She had a nightmare. She dreamt of Yoona saying goodbye to her. She was relieved to realize it was just a dream but reality sank in quickly. Her heart was aching so badly. Yoona was still missing.

“Yoona, where are you, baby? Please don’t say goodbye to me. I’m not ready to live my life without you.”

Jessica was mumbling to herself. Just then her phone rang and she took a peek at the phone. Krystal’s name was blinking. She answered immediately.

“Hello?”

“Oh great, you’re awake! Can you please open the door?”

“Huh?”

“I’ve been here for the last hour. Didn’t you check your phone? You probably have a hunderd missed calls and a million messages!”

“Are you being sarcastic, Jung Soo Jung?”

“No, I’m dead worried! I was wondering if you’re still alive!”

Jessica frowned. She thought Yuri or Tiffany was around.

“Are you going to open up or not?”

“Okay, I’m coming out now.”

Jessica put her phone aside and went into the living room. It was empty. Jessica was puzzled but nevertheless opened the door. Her sister ran towards her and hugged her tightly. Amber was hiding behind her.

“Unnie!”

“What are you doing?”

“I saw your message yesterday.”

“Oh.”

Jessica sent a message to Krystal yesterday.  She told her she wanted to die because Yoona’s plane crashed into the sea.

“I saw the news. At first I thought you were crazy but Amber the news and I saw it. I quickly rushed here. I was worried about you.”

Jessica didn’t answer. She just broke down all over again. Krystal hugged her tightly.

“Krys, it’s my fault. It’s my fault! I shouldn’t be mean to her. I shouldn’t push her away! Now she’s gone, Krystal! She’s gone! What am I going to do?”

“Hush unnie, maybe she’s still alive somewhere.”

“The plane crashed into the sea, Krystal! How could there be survivors?”

“You’ll never know about that, unnie.”

Jessica cried her heart out in her sister’s arms.

-

“How long is this prank going to last?”

Yuri was forced to be involved.

“It won’t last that long. We just need to make Jessica lose hope in finding Yoona alive.”

“You’re evil. You’re evil too. All of you are evil.”

Yuri was pointing at everyone.

“Hey, I was dragged in too!”

Soo Young protested.

“Well, you were evil to me.”

Soo Young rolled her eyes. She used to yell at Yuri because she left Yoona.

“Baby, but you’re pro in this. You are good in controlling your emotions. So you’re the best choice to break the news of Yoona’s “death” to Jessica.”

“Fany, this is an awful lie! What if she finds out?”

“Well, you can just conveniently push the blame to Yoona.”

Yoona rolled her eyes as Yuri grinned.

“Tiffany Hwang, you’re evil but a genius evil.”

“Of course I am.”

Yuri ended up kissing Tiffany and Yoona was smacking Yuri’s forehead.

“Okay, there’s no need to show public display of affection to each other. Let’s just continue with this prank first.”

“But if anything goes wrong, we’ll blame you!”

Everyone agreed with Yuri’s decision.

Yoona rolled her eyes.

Her friends were already betraying her even before her plan was executed.

-