Chapter 5

The Old & The New

Jessica was reading through her report meticulously. There would be a meeting later and Jessica had to present sales figures for the last six months. Apparently, the new CEO would be present as well. She hadn’t met the new CEO yet.  Soo Young was helping her diligently. They even skipped lunch for that matter. Suddenly someone knocked on Jessica’s door.

“Come in.”

She didn’t even look up and Soo Young was too concentrating on her pile of reports. Nobody really cared about that someone who was about to enter the room.

“Both of you look busy.”

Soo Young looked up and waved. Jessica rolled her eyes. The uninvited visitor took her seat at the sofa; watching them intently.

“What are you doing here, Yoona?”

Soo Young asked politely while Jessica just buried her head further into her files.

“That cucumber hater’s secretary said you girls are not going out for lunch. I called earlier on. She said Jung doesn’t want to be disturbed.”

“Yeah, we have a meeting later. She’s busy with her sales reporting.”

“Ah, then I come at the right time.”

Jessica looked up and wondered why this annoying brat wanted from her now.

“I brought lunch.”

“Are you serious?!”

Soo Young was getting excited. She was hungry actually.

“Yeah. Kimbap! I made them myself.”

“Kimbap?!”

Soo Young turned to look at Jessica who was already staring at the annoying brat.

“Ya, you know Jessica has cucumber allergic.”

“I know that perfectly well that’s why I’m here.”

“Are you going to make me throw up again?”

Yoona grinned.  Jessica was super annoyed now. She was so tempted to throw her stapler directly at Yoona’s head. She was imagining it anyway.

“Are you trying to picture how I would look like if you throw that stapler at me?”

“Yes, imagination can run wild.”

“Ah, you’re such a feisty little cucumber.”

“Why, you!”

“Okay, let’s not get into another round of fight here. Yoona, you can put the kimbap with me. I’ll eat it later when I’m done.”

“No way. You have to eat it now.”

“Annoying brat, do you have something against me?!”

Jessica had enough. She was too stressed up and some brat was trying to irritate her to the max. But Yoona remained undaunted. She picked up her two lunch boxes and gave one to Soo Young. Then another one was meant for Jessica.

“What is this?”

Jessica looked at her.

“Open it up.”

Jessica rolled her eyes but nevertheless opened it up. She was surprised to find hers was sandwiches instead. There were two types – tuna sandwich and egg with ham sandwich. She was confused.

“Oh come on, you think I’m that heartless? I don’t want to send you to hospital again. So yours would be different from Soo Young.”

“What?”

Soo Young went over and saw sandwiches in Jessica’s lunch box. She smiled widely.

“Wow, you’re so thoughtful.”

“She could just throw up even without eating the cucumbers. She threw up at the smell of it.”

“Haha, I’m going to eat mine outside then. Jessica, I’ll join you after I’ve eaten.”

“Okay.”

Soo Young quickly left the room so that she could eat without making Jessica feels uneasy. Yoona was still inside the room with her. Soo Young was smiling knowing that the two would be fine now.

“Why aren’t you eating?”

Yoona went back to her sofa and sat comfortably. Jessica was still staring at her; confused and surprised at the same time.

“Why are you doing this?”

“I was too free today.”

“You didn’t go to work?”

“I was at work this morning. My client’s place was near to my house so I went back to cook lunch for myself. I texted Soo Young and she said both of you are in the office; working. So I made some simple food so that you can eat. It’s not good to skip lunch anyway.”

Jessica saw Yoona in a different light now. Yoona’s a great lady. She started to wonder why Yoona’s ex-girlfriend had the heart to leave her. She was staring at Yoona who noticed it.

“Why are you looking at me like that?”

“Nothing.”

“Are you moved?”

“Tch.”

Jessica rolled her eyes and looked away. She was moved, actually but she was not going to show it out to this annoying brat.

“Be grateful!”

“I’m grateful.”

“Eat it then.”

“Now?”

“Then?!”

“Gosh, you’re so annoying sometimes.”

“I learn from the best.”

Yoona was smirking away; leaving Jessica infuriated.  But nevertheless she ate those sandwiches much to Yoona’s satisfaction.

“That’s my good girl.”

“What?!”

“You should eat more. You’re so skinny.”

“Say the kettle calling the pot black.”

“At least I’m tall.”

“Oh shut up.”

Both girls giggled at the same time. It was nice having a conversation with Yoona although she might be appearing to irritate Jessica like that. But that’s how their friendship started.

“I’m leaving now.”

“Okay.”

“I’ll see you again.”

Jessica stood up and was about to walk Yoona out when she accidentally tripped over the tip of a cushion. She went flying into Yoona’s arms; pushing her to the sofa. They were in an awkward position with Jessica sprawled above the stunned lady.

Just then Soo Young walked in.

“My oh my, is this how you show your gratitude towards Yoona, boss? And Yoona, aren’t you enjoying this too much? Am I supposed to jump on you too?”

“SHUT UP!”

Both ladies screamed in unison. And Soo Young couldn’t stop laughing after that.

-

“Good morning. I’m your new CEO, Kim Taeyeon. I’m pleased to meet everyone.”

Jessica finally met the new CEO. She was surprised that the CEO is a young lady. Nevertheless she greeted her warmly.

“Miss Kim, this is Jessica Jung, our sales and production manager.”

“Ah, she’s the one who has been doing a perfect job for our company.”

“Yes, Miss Kim.”

Her assistant was introducing the managers in the company. Kim Taeyeon seems to have an instant liking in Jessica Jung.

“Nice to meet you, Miss Jung.”

“Just call me Jessica will do, Miss Kim.”

“Oh, then I’ll insist that you call me Taeyeon instead.”

Jessica shot a blank look at her boss. Taeyeon managed a smile before moving on to the others. Her colleague, Gyuri was leaning closer to her.

“Looks like you’re her favourite.”

“Don’t spout nonsense. She’s just being friendly.”

“Oh come on, Jess. You cannot see how wide her smile was. And she’s like you.”

“What?”

“She’s gay.”

Great, Jessica didn’t see that coming.

“I’m sure she likes you.”

Jessica shrugged it off and playfully jabbed Gyuri at her side. The two ladies giggled softly before turning to face Taeyeon who was already right in front.

“Let’s work together as a team.”

Everybody nodded. Jessica was obliged to do so too. Kim Taeyeon may look short but she has a powerful aura and strong personality. Jessica was debating with herself.

There were not many female CEOs and not to say young female CEOs. Taeyeon was the first for Jessica.

“Interesting boss. Oh well, I’ll just have to work hard.”

Jessica reminded herself.

-

Yoona was on the way to her client’s place. Hyoyeon introduced this client to her. She was Hyoyeon’s school mate.

“She has a plot of land and wanted to build a house. She needed help.”

“Okay, so she’s expecting me?”

“Yeah, I give you her number. You might want to call her first.”

“What’s her name?”

“Seohyun.”

“Okay then.”

Yoona called the client after Hyoyeon texted her the number.

“Hi?”

“Hi, is this Seohyun?”

“Yes, speaking.”

“My name is Yoona. I’m Hyoyeon’s friend.”

“Oh, Miss Im Yoona?”

“Just call me Yoona will do.”

“Okay, Yoona.”

“I’m on my way to your place.”

“Oh great!”

“I’ll see you then.”

Yoona was awed when she reached Seohyun’s place. The land was vast and it was located next to a lake. There was a glass house at the lake bank.

“Wow, that looks like a greenhouse. How could someone live in such place? This is so fantasy-like.”

Yoona talked to herself but nevertheless got out from her car. She saw a lady waiting at the side. She assumed that was her client.

“Hi?”

“You’re Yoona?”

“Yes I am.”

“Oh, great. Come on in.”

Yoona was led into the glass house but she was fascinated with the interior of the house. It was really beautiful.

“Wow, this place looks really beautiful.”

“Thanks! This house has been left behind by my late grandmother. I don’t know what I’m supposed to do with this house.”

“You’re thinking of demolishing it?”

“No, I’m just thinking to make it like a museum style. I would like to put my late grandmother’s artefacts and paintings in this place.”

“Your late grandmother was a famous painter?”

“Well, not really famous like those international painters but she was quite popular with the community here. They were the one suggesting I should do that. That’s why I thought of building a house over that land.”

Seohyun pointed out to the vast land.

“Okay. So, shall we get down to business?”

“Oh, before that, do you work on house interior design too?”

“Yes, our company provides such services.”

“That’s great! I would like to do some renovation to this glass house.”

“Okay.”

The pair sat down and talked about Seohyun’s dream house. Yoona was immersed with Seohyun’s dreams and imagination. She seemed to know a lot about home design and was really precise in what kind of changes she needed to the glass house.

“Why are you looking at me so intently?”

“Huh? No, I don’t mean to be rude.”

“Nah, you seem fascinated.”

“Yeah, you’re my first client who really knows what you really want to do.”

“Ah, I took design courses before in university but I’m more interested in art now.”

“You’re a painter too?”

“Yeah, my late grandmother took me under her wings.”

“I see.”

“Oh, I forgot! I roasted some sweet potatoes in the kitchen. I’ll get some for you.”

She quickly jumped on her feet and ran to the kitchen. Yoona looked around the house and saw a photo of her client with her late grandmother. She saw a couple of paintings on the wall and she really liked one in particular – a lady with an umbrella; looking all demure and sophisticated.

“You like that painting?”

Yoona spun around to find Seohyun behind her with a plate of roasted bake potatoes.

“Yeah, the lady in the painting looks almost real.”

“That’s my favourite painting too.”

“You did this?”

“Yeah.”

“Cool.”

“You like the painting?”

“Yeah, it looks really nice.”

“I can give it to you.”

“Huh? No, it’s okay. I’m just admiring.”

“Nah, it’s okay. I can give it to you.”

Seohyun took the painting down without hesitation and wrapped it up nicely despite Yoona’s protests. Yoona couldn’t stop Seohyun.

“Here, as a gift from me to you as a beginning of a new friendship.”

“Oh, okay. I’ll accept it then.”

“Thanks! So now, let’s carry on with our work.”

Both girls settled down and continued with their discussion. Yoona couldn’t help but stared at Seohyun. She’s beautiful, demure and gentle but yet precise and straightforward.  Yoona realized she was staring too much and looked away immediately.

“What the hell, Im Yoona? You don’t need to be so creepy like that!”

Yoona chided herself.

-

Jessica decided to grab some dinner along the way. The meeting with the new CEO went smoothly. And Gyuri was right. Taeyeon was staring at her all the time. And when their eyes met, she would smile widely at Jessica. 

The funny thing was, Jessica didn’t find it offensive. She was shy about it. Taeyeon was not only capable but she’s actually beautiful.

“Kim Taeyeon, you’re really something.”

She finally reached to the little café at the outskirt of town. It was closer to the country side and Jessica enjoys watching beautiful sceneries like this. She ordered English tea and sat comfortably near to nature.

The air was clean and the view was majestic. The greenery around her made her feel comfortable and at ease. But not for long, someone was there too – Im Yoona.

“Wow, fancy meeting you here.”

Jessica did a face palm to her forehead; she wondered why Im Yoona could appear in such remote areas.

“You’re like my shadow. Wait, no. It’s more like my irritating shadow.”

“Are you implying that I’m stalking you?”

“Why are you here? No, you’re everywhere I go.”

“I just met my client who lives by the lake side. I was hungry so I dropped by.”

“Lake side? You mean the glass house over the lake side?!”

“Yeah, she lives there.”

“Wow, awesome! I drove past a couple of times before. The glass house really looks good!”

“The inside was even more awesome.”

“You have pictures to show me?”

“What makes you think I took pictures?”

Jessica pointed to Yoona’s camera. The younger lady rolled her eyes at her stupidity.

“Am I dumb or what?”

“Almost.”

“Shut up.”

“Oh come on, let me see the photos!”

Yoona showed Jessica the photos and the lady was awed by them.

“Wow.”

“Yes, double wow.”

“So what did the owner asked you to do?”

“She wanted to renovate it a little bit and she wanted to build a house over the land. She said it could get really hot to stay in the glass house during the summer.”

“That’s right.”

“I’m hungry.”

“Go and order some food then.”

“What should I eat?”

“Here, this is the menu.”

“Thanks!”

-

Jessica was appalled at the amount of food Yoona had ordered. Their table was filled with food.

“What are you?”

“I’m really hungry.”

“Didn’t you have lunch this afternoon?”

“It was just kimbap.”

“Oh.”

“Besides, I’m still growing.”

Jessica gave her a deadpan look.

“What?”

Jessica rolled her eyes.

“Everybody is still growing!”

“We have stopped growing.”

“Well, I think you have. You’re just going to be at that height all the time.”

“Why you!”

“You hardly eat! How the heck are you going to grow if you hardly eat? And you ordered a bowl of salad. You’re not a goat, are you?  And it’s so ironic that you’re allergic to cucumbers since you love to eat greenery stuff so much.”

“Oh my god! Why! Why am I here with this annoying brat!?”

Yoona was amused. She enjoys teasing Jessica like that. She couldn’t fathom why but her heart felt warmth whenever Jessica was around with her.

“I’m sorry. I was just teasing. You look cute.”

Jessica turned instantly but Yoona was looking away. She was slightly blushing and Jessica noticed it. Yoona was annoying playful but Jessica couldn’t understand why she felt so comfortable being around Yoona despite her constant teasing.

It felt like as though they fitted together.

-