Chapter 11

The Old & The New

“Do you remember what day is today?”

Jessica was looking up at Taeyeon absentmindedly. She was stoning all the while.

“Huh? What is it?”

“It’s our one week anniversary.”

“Oh.”

Honestly, Jessica didn’t really pay attention to the dates. She couldn’t even recall the date itself. She couldn’t even remember when they started going out with each other.

“Yeah, so let’s go out for dinner tonight.”

“Okay then.”

“I have a surprise for you. I’ll see you later.”

Taeyeon gave a soft kiss on Jessica’s forehead before leaving her room. Jessica gave a quick smile and looked on as Taeyeon made her way out of her room. Jessica’s heart was halved.

“What the hell. How could I not remember anything?”

She decided to look for a last minute gift for her first one week anniversary for Taeyeon.  She left a message to Soo Young and went off. She needed to look for the gift fast but she couldn’t think of anything to buy for her girlfriend.

“What does Taeyeon like?”

Jessica was asking herself as she drove to the nearest shopping complex. She was a little vexed with own self as she didn’t make an effort in the relationship. It was always Taeyeon who tried to make it work and Jessica wondered if she had a mistake for letting Taeyeon in.

Jessica wandered from one boutique to another. She was really clueless about Taeyeon’s liking. She wished she had drop a hint to Taeyeon earlier on. Jessica was browsing through the clothes on display when someone bumped into her. She looked up and immediately rolled her eyes.

“I swear you’re popping everywhere I go!”

“It’s not like I wanted to meet you here. You were the one who appeared out of nowhere and bumping into people. Don’t you have any eyes?”

“I do but you’re too short for me to notice.”

“Shut up.”

“Nice to meet you again, Jessica Jung.”

“It’s just my luck to see you again, Im Yoona.”

“Don’t be so mean. Taeyeon will run away.”

Jessica rolled her eyes for the second time and Yoona peered closely into her face. Jessica was taken aback but immediately retreated back from Yoona.

“What the hell!”

“One more time you roll your eyes, I’ll dig them out.”

“What the hell are you doing here?”

“I’m bored.”

“Why? Aren’t you busy with work?”

“I am but I was too stressed out then I went out for a walk. Now I’m bored. But I’m just so happy to bump into you here. Do you want to eat lunch with me?”

Jessica took a glance at her wrist watch. It was only 11am.

“It’s only 11am.”

“But I’m hungry.”

“How many times do you eat in one day?”

“It depends. It can be up to 10 meals.”

“You’re kidding, right?”

“No, I eat that much.”

Jessica was appalled.

“What?”

“How can you eat like a glutton and still remain with that figure?!”

“It’s a secret beauty which only my body has it.”

Jessica would love to strangle Yoona at that moment but she just couldn’t. There were too many people at the shopping mall. But Yoona remained undaunted.

“Go eat with me, pleaseeeeeeee.”

Yoona was showing aegyo which tickled Jessica greatly. She likes this side of Yoona and she saw it once when Yoona refused to take her medicine. Jessica didn’t seem to mind Yoona’s childish side that much.

“Fine, but you’re paying.”

“Sure! Now, can we go please?”

“Okay, but you have to promise me one thing.”

“What’s this? Eating with you has a condition to comply with?”

“I need to buy a present for Taeyeon for our first week anniversary.”

“Uh huh.”

“You’re going to shop with me after we eat.”

“NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO~!”

“I don’t care! Now let’s go eat!”

Jessica pulled Yoona along even though the girl was vehemently protesting but Yoona didn’t have much power eventually. Jessica rules over her somehow but with threats.

-

“You ate 150% of your body weight.”

“And you only eat 10% extra more.”

“I can get fat.”

“Seriously? You?”

“Yes, I do. My body doesn’t have any secret beauty.”

Yoona stuck her tongue out which made Jessica felt like biting it. But she refrained herself.

“So, now let’s do your bidding then.”

“Huh? What?”

“Didn’t you want to buy something for Taeyeon?”

Jessica has totally forgotten about that. She was enjoying herself too much with Yoona. She really adores having Yoona for company although all the girl did was to . She welcomed that in fact.

“Oh, that’s right.”

“So, what does Taeyeon like?”

Jessica looked up nervously. Frankly speaking, she didn’t have any clue.

“What do you think Taeyeon would like?”

“You’re asking me for opinion?”

“Honestly, I don’t really know what Taeyeon really likes.”

Yoona furrowed her eyebrows together.  Jessica was feeling guilty. She might look like a horrible girlfriend in front of Yoona.

“You think I’m a terrible girlfriend, right?”

“What? I didn’t say anything.”

“I don’t know anything about my girlfriend. Isn’t that bad?”

“I’m not judging.”

“Why not?”

Yoona sighed softly before turning back to look at Jessica.

“I don’t know what Seohyun likes too.”

Jessica was surprised.

“I’m serious. Two days ago was our first week anniversary too. She cooked my favourite food but I didn’t do anything special. So I ended up seranding her a song. It was a cheap try but luckily, Seohyun loves it.”

Jessica suddenly felt envious of Seohyun. No, she was actually feeling jealous that Seohyun got to hear Yoona’s singing.

“What did you sing for her?”

“The way you look tonight.”

Darn it. That was Jessica’s favourite song too.

“She must have loved it.”

“Yeah, she was crying at the café. I was so embarrassed though.”

Jessica had never imagined Yoona as the romantic kind. The impression she had of Yoona was getting better each time.

“You can sing for Taeyeon if you want to.”

Yoona was grinning away.

“I cannot sing.”

“Don’t bull. I heard from Soo Young, you’re a fantastic singer.”

“I’m really not a good singer.”

“Prove it.”

“What?”

“Prove to me that you’re not a good singer.”

“Are you kidding me?”

“No, let’s go Karaoke to prove that!”

Those two were getting too carried away now.

-

“YOU LIAR!”

“WHAT?!”

“YOU SAID YOU CANNOT SING!”

“I CANNOT SING!”

“YOU LIAR!”

Jessica was forced to sing and Yoona was taken in by her voice. Jessica was singing Almost and Yoona paid full attention to her. Jessica’s soft and alluring voice was slowly penetrating deep into Yoona’s heart. She felt a surge of electric vibes bursting through her body as Jessica’s voice was soothing her ears.  It felt like as though Jessica’s voice was healing her wounds from her broken past. Yoona was feeling weird about it. But she was not going to show it.

“What is this? I’m supposed to get an anniversary present for Taeyeon but I’m ended up singing here for an hour with you. When will I be buying my present?”

“You don’t have to look so far. Your voice is the selling point.”

“Don’t make me sound so cheap.”

“It’s not! It’s a compliment to be honest. You have the nicest voice!”

Jessica was grinning away. Well, Yoona sang too. And she sang the song that Jessica chose. It felt like as though Yoona was singing for her.

“So you think I should sing for Taeyeon as a gift?”

Jessica noticed Yoona was frowning away. She wondered why.

“Yes, I think that is the perfect gift.”

-

“Yoona, let’s eat out.”

Yoona met up with Seohyun at her place. They were supposed to cook but Seohyun felt a little lazy on that day.

“Oh? Are you feeling unwell?”

“No, I’m just lazy to cook.”

Yoona smiled widely before leaning closer and gave a soft kiss on Seohyun’s forehead.

“Then get change. We will eat out today.”

Seohyun quickly changed and the two ladies went off in Yoona’s car. Seohyun kept stealing glances at Yoona as her girlfriend focused on the road. Seohyun was feeling a little upset that Yoona hasn’t really confess her feelings just as yet. It was always Seohyun who would say those words “I love you” but Yoona has never returned her words back to her.

“Seohyun, why do you keep looking at me?”

“Oh, nothing! I just love to watch how you concentrate in driving.”

“Hey, I have to be careful. Your safety is in my hands; I’m responsible for you.”

“I know. Thank you for being my heroine.”

“What are you talking about, you silly girl?”

Yoona chuckled softly and Seohyun’s heart filled with warmth just to watch Yoona’s smile. She loves Yoona whole-heartedly but she wondered if Yoona would love her back; as much as she did.

Yoona was totally unaware how much Seohyun craved for her attention. She did gave some attention but most of the time, Yoona would be on the phone; replying to Jessica’s messages. Seohyun didn’t really say much because she didn’t see it as a threat but she wished Yoona was a little attentive to her.

“We’ve reached. Let’s eat something! Are you hungry?”

“Yes, a little.”

“Let’s go then!”

The two ladies got out from the car and approached the restaurant. Seohyun slipped her arm around Yoona’s and the lady turned to look at her.

“Why?”

“I’m feeling a little cold.”

“Oh, okay. Do you need a hug?”

“Yes, I think so.”

Yoona pulled Seohyun for a quick hug and the latter grinned widely.

“There, are you feeling warmer now?”

“Of course I do.”

“Let’s go then.”

Seohyun let her hand down and Yoona took it in hers. She gripped it tightly and Seohyun was over the moon. She knew she was going to enjoy tonight’s dinner.

-

“This place is nice.”

Jessica was looking around the restaurant. Taeyeon’s smile was from ear to ear. Taeyeon did a lot just to make sure that she could see Jessica’s smile every single day. Just like Yoona, Jessica hasn’t really confessed her heart to Taeyeon yet but Taeyeon was already falling head over heels for her.

“I’m glad you like it. It took me awhile to find a place that would be suitable for your liking.”

Jessica was feeling guilty. She knew Taeyeon did so many things for her.

“You don’t have to do this all the time. I’m fine at any restaurant.”

“No way, you’re my girlfriend. I have to find the best place for you.”

Jessica looked up and forced a smile. Taeyeon felt contented just to see Jessica’s smile and it made Jessica felt extremely guilty. So she decided to give Taeyeon the best gift that she could think of.

“Taeyeon, wait here.”

“Hm?”

“I’ll be back.”

Jessica stood up and Taeyeon was frowning away. She was wondering what her girlfriend was planning to do. Jessica soon disappeared behind the piano. She looked away; turned to her bag and took out a small gift box that she had prepared for Jessica.

Suddenly she heard her girlfriend’s voice over the speakers. She looked up to find Jessica holding a microphone; smiling widely at her.

“Hi everyone, please bear with me tonight. I’m here, standing on the stage because today’s our one week’s anniversary with my girlfriend, Taeyeon. I just wanted to say thank you for being there for me when I’m always lacking in many different ways.”

Taeyeon’s eyes were b with tears and Jessica walked behind the piano. She wriggled her fingers over the piano and started singing. Her melodious voice soon filled up the café and everyone was captivated. Taeyeon was falling in love with Jessica all over again.

Someone else was captivated as well. She was staring at Jessica all the time and totally forgotten about the reason why she was there.

“Isn’t that Jessica unnie?”

Seohyun spoke up after a while.

“Ah, yes.”

“She’s so sweet.”

“Yes, she is.”

Yoona’s eyes never left Jessica. She was staring intently at her.

“Yoona, the food is here.”

“Okay.”

“Do you want to eat?”

“You eat first. I’ll eat after Jessica’s done singing.”

Seohyun realized something was different in Yoona as her gaze was more tender than usual. But she didn’t really think much over it. She knew Yoona and Jessica are closer than they used before. Jessica finally ended singing and the whole crowd in the café gave a loud applause including Yoona.

Taeyeon quickly ran up to the stage and hugged Jessica tightly. Yoona was watching them; her smile soon faded when she saw Taeyeon and Jessica kissed. Her heart felt a stab.

Suddenly Taeyeon took out a small gift box. She took a diamond ring and then turned to face Jessica. She took the microphone and smiled widely.

“Jessica, I know it’s still too early. But do you want to spend your whole lifetime with me?”

Yoona was staring at Jessica. Jessica didn’t notice her yet but she was equally stunned and confused with Taeyeon’s request.

“Jessica, what do you say?”

Yoona was already standing up. She was anxious as well.

“No, Jessica. Don’t’ say yes.”

Yoona suddenly whispered softly. She didn’t like the idea of Jessica spending her whole lifetime with Taeyeon.

-