Chapter 18

The Old & The New

Jessica decided to pamper herself. She got ready her bath with peppermint scented candle; filling up her bathroom as bubbles formed in her tub. She needed something like this to get rid of the stressful moments for the past one month. Her main source of pressure came from none other than Im Yoona.

She some soft music in the background and closed her eyes as she tried to relax. But the moment her eyes were closed; Im Yoona came into her mind and Jessica would jolt up from the bathtub. She just couldn’t put Yoona away no matter how hard she tried.

“This is redundant. Why Yoona? Why must you keep entering into my mind?”

She was yelling to nobody but to herself. It was so maddening that she simply couldn’t put Yoona out of her mind. She decided to scrape the thought and drained out the bubble bath and turned off the damn music which was now noise to her ears.

She took her bathrobe and slammed the bathroom door as hard as she could; hoping that something in her could just immediately wake up and stop torturing herself with thoughts of Yoona. Suddenly, her front door bell was ringing. She rolled her eyes and wondered who that could be.

Nevertheless she made her way to the front door and glanced to her side quickly. It was raining cats and dogs just outside her window. She didn’t even realize it. That was how swarmed her stupid brain of Yoona was. She absent-mindedly opened the door and there stood the culprit of her downfall – Im Yoona.

She was completely wet and drenched. Her eyes were red and she was panting really hard like as though she had run a 30km marathon. Jessica was rooted to the ground. There she was trying to push away Yoona from her but yet the person itself appeared at the front door; threatened to turn her world upside down again.

“We need to talk.”

The younger lady was staring blankly at Jessica but her voice was almost pleading.

“What are you doing here? And why are you drenched?”

Jessica was aware that she was only in her bathrobe. She had no choice but to pull Yoona in just in case her erted neighbour walked past and saw her in just a bathrobe. How embarrassing could that be?

But the moment she dragged Yoona in, things got relatively heated up. Yoona was not only letting her in but she was crashing hard against Jessica; her moist skin was stuck to Jessica’s and their heartbeats were slowly synchronising as one.

“What-t are you doing?”

Yoona didn’t say anything. She just leaned closer and kissed the older lady on her lips.

And then everything else just went blurry right after that.

-

Jessica was sitting up; leaning her body against the bed rest. She couldn’t adhere what had just transpired between she and Yoona. It was almost like a dream.

Yoona crashed her lips against Jessica’s. Jessica was trying hard to resist as she pushed Yoona away but the girl held her tighter.

“Im Yoona!”

Jessica couldn’t fight her off. Yoona got her trapped in her embrace and the kiss deepened. But as soon as Yoona’s hands were intruding into Jessica’s bathrobe, Jessica swatted her hands away and gave a tight slap across Yoona’s face.

The younger lady stopped and looked down on the floor. It must have stung for her because Jessica hissed in pain as she saw her palm reddening by the second.

“Oh my god, Yoona!”

Jessica couldn’t believe what she had done. She didn’t know why she did that. But somehow she understood because she was afraid – terrified to make another mistake that would lead her to more pain in the future.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to.”

“It’s okay, I deserve it.”

“Yoona, what’s wrong with you?”

Yoona didn’t answer but fell on her knees instead. Jessica watched as Yoona’s body swayed slightly before the tall lady’s body hit the floor.

“YOONA!”

That was when Jessica realized – Yoona was running a temperature.

Jessica called her personal doctor and he took a quick examine on the fallen girl. It was good news somehow. Yoona was just running temperature due to exposure under the heavy rain for a long time.

“Just let her takes this medicine and get her to rest for the next couple of days. She should be fine.”

“Thanks Doctor Tak.”

“No problem, I’ll see you around.”

Jessica was relieved to learn that Yoona’s going to be fine. She turned to look at the younger lady; sleeping soundly on her bed.

“What am I supposed to do with you, Im Yoona?”

Jessica sighed softly.

-

“IM YOONA, stop right there!”

Yoona was about to run away but Soo Young managed to catch up with her. Yoona was surprised that the tall girl could actually run.

“Wow, you have improved.”

“Shut up! And why are you running away?”

“You’re going to lecture me again, aren’t you?”

“You’re such a kid. I need to lecture you all the time.”

“Spare me please. I’m really tired.”

“We need to talk. Now sit.”

Soo Young pushed Yoona gently onto the sofa and Hyoyeon was at the front door; she actually locked the door up and Yoona stared at her.

“Are you planning to lock me in now?”

“It’s Soo Young’s orders.”

“You’re actually taking orders from your younger girlfriend?”

“She’s going to give me something tonight.”

“Ooh.”

“Hyoyeon baby, that’s too much information!”

“Whatever, I’m out of here.”

Hyoyeon appeared cool but Yoona could see the pink blushes on her cheeks. She then turned to Soo Young; giving her a cheeky smile.

“Wipe that stupid smile of yours away from your cheeky face.”

“You need me to crash at the hotel or something?”

“No, no need! Hey, this is about you. Not me.”

“Well, I’m trying to divert attention.”

“Shut up.”

Soo Young finally sat in front of Yoona and she actually made Yoona sat in between her long legs. She squeezed her legs tightly and Yoona was completely trapped.

“I’m getting scared. Are you going to torture me?”

“It depends on how you’re going to answer me.”

“What’s this about?”

“This is about my boss named Jung Soo Yeon Jessica.”

Yoona’s facial expression changed. She was trying so hard to avoid that person and tried so hard to escape from hearing her name. But no, it had to come from her own best friend.

“What is it about her?”

“What’s the reason for you to break off with Seohyun?”

“I didn’t break up with her. She was the one.”

“And why she did that?”

Yoona kept her silence.

“Im Yoona, you’re in love with Jessica aren’t you?”

Yoona sighed. She just leaned and placed her two elbows on Soo Young’s thighs. She peered closely into Soo Young’s face.

“Does it matter if I am?”

“What do you mean?”

“She’s not feeling the same.”

“What makes you think she doesn’t?”

“She kept blaming herself for my break up with Seohyun. And Taeyeon unnie hurt her so badly that she was afraid of having another relationship.”

“Wait, she said that?”

“Well, I assumed she did.”

Soo Young rolled her eyes at Yoona. Obviously, that two dumb and dumber were playing the guessing game.

“You dumb.”

Soo Young knuckled on her forehead.

“Ow!”

“Listen here. I’m going to save you from misery. I was right from the very start.”

“What are you right about? Most of the time you’re wrong.”

“You know what, I’m so tempted to stuff that orange into your mouth.”

“It’s the truth!”

Soo Young eventually stuffed the orange into Yoona’s mouth and the lady struggled to spit it out.

“What was that for!?”

“Yoona, what makes you think I tried to pair you up with Jessica?”

Yoona looked up.

“Jessica Jung’s perfect for you. She’s your type of girl. I know you would click with her but unfortunately it wasn’t really a good impression on both sides.”

Yoona recalled that morning she woke up after the one night stand and ended up arguing with Jessica about who was going to take responsibility.

“I thought it was over when the two of you were acting like loggerheads. It was so difficult to be in one room with the two of you.”

Soo Young was looking into Yoona’s eyes; knowing that girl’s brain was churning something.

“But I was right. The two of you got closer and somehow falling in love without even realizing.”

“She’s in love with Taeyeon.”

“She’s not. Taeyeon has found someone new.”

“So what if she does? She pushed me away when we were in Paris.”

“She thought you were in love with Seohyun and you were upset that Seohyun got the wrong idea of you.”

Yoona’s eyes got wider.

“Taeyeon had a talk with me earlier on. And Seohyun even urged me to slap your senses back to life.”

Yoona covered her cheeks with her palms.

“Well, not literally. But I will if you’re not going to do anything about Jessica.”

“What do you want me to do?”

Soo Young smiled widely. She knew Yoona’s senses would wake up.

“Jessica’s suffering as well and she’s equally dumb as you. In fact, both of you fit the picture perfectly.”

Yoona rolled her eyes.

“Don’t say that of her.”

“Ooo, are you being protective now?”

“She’s your boss.”

“She doesn’t even care if I call her a .”

“Ya! That’s so crude!”

“You called her once!”

“Well, she was to me in the early days.”

Yoona was mumbling to herself.

“Okay, forget the early days. I’m referring to now. Are you going to do something about Jessica?”

Yoona frowned.

“Im Yoona, forget about the pain you used to go through when Yuri left you. You know why Yuri left, right?”

“Yes, I’m aware of that.”

“But Jessica doesn’t. She doesn’t need to know because Tiffany would rather die than to let her know. You’re the best antidote for Jessica Jung now. Embrace her, Yoona.”

“What if she doesn’t accept me?”

“Idiot, did you hear what I’ve said earlier on?”

Yoona shook her head and earned a smack on her forehead.

“Ow, for the love of God, stop smacking my forehead!”

“Im Yoona, listen. Jessica Jung’s in love with you.”

Yoona finally understood.

-

“You’re awake?”

Yoona’s thoughts were interrupted by someone. Yoona glanced to her side to find Jessica standing at the doorway.

“Yeah, where am I?”

“You’re at my place. What were you doing, running in the heavy rain?”

“Did something happen last night?”

Jessica bit her lower lip. She slapped Yoona last night. Yoona felt a stinging pain in her cheek.

“I slapped you last night.”

“Oh, did I try to do something funny?”

“You cannot remember anything?”

“I don’t know. I had a lot to drink last night.”

“You went drinking?”

Yoona bit her tongue. She was revealing too much.  Jessica came around and poured her a glass of water. She passed it to Yoona which the lady took and drank in one gulp. She was thirsty anyway. Jessica sat at the edge of her bed; her front facing Yoona fully. The two ladies were engaging in some staring and glaring before Jessica spoke up softly.

“What is going on with us, Yoona?”

Yoona shrugged her shoulders. She had no idea herself.  She looked up to find Jessica focusing elsewhere; she was avoiding Yoona’s eyes for some reason.

“Jessica, can we talk?”

“Aren’t we doing it now?”

“Yes, but can you look at me?”

“No, I don’t dare to.”

“Why not? Am I a monster to you now?”

Jessica shook her head but still refused to look up.

“Jessica, please. I need you to look at me.”

Jessica relented and slowly looked up. Their eyes met and Yoona could see the fear in Jessica’s eyes. The older lady quickly looked away but Yoona was already reaching out for her hands. Jessica was taken aback.

“What are you doing?”

“I need to hold you.”

“Whatever for?”

“I know you’re terrified.”

Jessica’s eyes were dancing with fear. They were clearly written in her glare.

“I’m afraid too. I’m afraid to be hurt again. You feel like you cannot trust anyone again. But we have been fools all this while.”

“I don’t understand what you’re talking about.”

Jessica was stammering.

“I don’t care if you cannot understand me but just listen to me now.”

Yoona took a deep breath.

“I know there’s something in you that had already captured my heart. I cannot put you away; I cannot erase you no matter how hard I tried. I thought it was just because we were close as friends but after that Paris incident, I know it was definitely more than that.”

Jessica was shivering. Yoona tightened her hold on her.

“I know you’re scared. But I’m not going to let this slip away.”

“Yoona, don’t say it!”

“I love you.”

Jessica’s walls broke immediately.

“I really love you. I know it’s crazy but I do love you. And I know you love me too.”

“We’re not supposed to do this.”

“But your heart wants this to happen, right?”

“Yoona, you’re still heartbroken over Seohyun!”

“Seohyun is out of the picture a long time ago. She broke up with me because she could see my love for you. Why can’t you see it?”

“I refuse to see it!”

“Why?!”

“Because I’m still afraid to be in love or to love or to be loved!”

“But you allowed Taeyeon to enter into your life!”

“That was a mistake and then what happened?! She broke it!”

“You’re lying. You broke it too! You love me for the longest time!”

“NO, I’M NOT!”

“Why wouldn’t you accept it?”

Jessica was already crying.

“Because I cannot get over Tiffany just as yet.”

It was a complete lie but Jessica just couldn’t accept Yoona yet. Yoona just looked on blankly. She has done her part but Jessica refused to accept it. She slowly let go of Jessica and got out of the bed.

“Yoona, where are you going?”

“I’m leaving.”

“But you’re sick!”

“Don’t be nice to me when you cannot accept me.”

Yoona didn’t wait for Jessica to answer; she just slammed the door behind her and left Jessica crying in her own room.  Jessica couldn’t understand why she had to fight with Yoona like that all the time. She was afraid; too scared to accept it. And it was insane that this had to happen like this.

-

Jessica went to office as usual. She wore her shades to hide her puffy eyes. Soo Young was already at the door; waiting for her.

“Good morning Boss!”

“Why are you so chirpy?”

“I cannot be chirpy?!”

“You can but I’m having a headache. Don’t be too hyper today.”

“Huh? What happened? And why are you wearing shades?”

“Nothing, just help me get breakfast.”

“You haven’t eaten yet?”

“No, I want Big Breakfast meal.”

“Coming right up!”

Jessica was relieved that she got rid of Soo Young. She wasn’t ready to face Soo Young just as yet. She put her bag down and sat on her chair. Once again, Yoona was on her mind and Jessica wanted to cry each time this morning fighting scene came into her mind.

“I’m so screwed up!”

Jessica cursed under her breath.

“Yoo hoo~~”

Jessica looked up; Taeyeon was at the door.

“Good morning, Boss.”

“Good morning.  It’s a lovely day today.”

“Not really; it’s raining on my side.”

“How come? I thought everything has been sorted out?”

Jessica stared at Taeyeon.

“What is being sorted out?”

“Didn’t Yoona look for you yesterday?”

“How did you know?”

“I was the one who asked her to. We went drinking with Soo Young and we gave her the courage to talk to you. Didn’t she confess her feelings?”

Jessica took out her shades abruptly and Taeyeon could see the puffiness in her eyes.

“Jessica, have you been crying?”

“What did you tell Yoona exactly?”

“Wait, you pushed her away, didn’t you?!”

“What?”

“Jessica you !”

“What?! Why did you ask her confess to me?!”

“You’re obviously in love with her!”

“It’s none of your business!”

“Oh my god, why did you push her away, ?!”

“I was too scared!”

“What’s going on?”

Soo Young returned with breakfast and was confused at the sudden raise of voices between her big boss and boss.

“Soo Young, your boss is the dumbest person I ever met!”

“Keep going, I’ll turn dumb for real.”

“What’s going on? And why are your eyes so puffy red?”

“She pushed Yoona away.”

Soo Young’s eyes grew larger.

“What the!”

“I’M SCARED OKAY!”

“What are you afraid of?”

“I’m just too scared that I’ll hurt her instead!”

“If you love her, and she loves you, what kind of hurt are you referring to?”

“I don’t know! I was just confused, okay!”

The three ladies were screaming at each other when someone appeared at Jessica’s office door.

“Am I disturbing?”

The three heads turned and was surprised to find Yoona at the door.

“Yoona?!”

“What?”

“Are you alright?”

“I think so. Why are you staring at me for?”

“Why are you here?”

“I’m here to give Jessica something.”

Yoona pulled her hand from her back and popped out a beautiful bouquet of pink roses neatly arranged. Soo Young and Taeyeon were confused; Jessica was double of that.

“What?”

“I know you rejected me. But I’m not going to give up on you.”

“Yoona, are you sick or something?”

Soo Young touched her forehead.

“Soo Young, you told me not to give up on love again. You’re right. I love this stupid lady so much and I’m not going to give up wooing her until she gets the point.”

Soo Young beamed and Taeyeon was moved to tears. Only Jessica was still staring blankly at the three of them.

“I’m so proud of you! Go and get that dumb chick and make her realize!”

Taeyeon was patting on Yoona’s shoulder while Soo Young hugged her tightly. The two ladies left the dumb couple alone; Jessica was still staring at Yoona. Yoona turned to face her and smiled widely.

“Believe it or not, I’m going to woo you until you understand that you belong to me and I belong to you. So starting from today, this is my first step. Have a great day!”

Yoona placed the bouquet on Jessica’s table and went off coolly. Jessica stared at the flowers and then up to the door. Yoona was long gone and Jessica was still stumped.

But she was moved as well.

“Yoona…”

Her heart felt warmth.

-

“I’m leaving now.”

It was the last call for Seohyun’s flight. The girls sent her off including her ex-girlfriend, Yoona. Yoona gave her a tight hug and Seohyun tightened her grip as well.

“Take care of yourself, Yoona.”

“I will.”

“No, I’m serious about this. TAKE CARE of yourself.”

“Is that a warning or a threat?”

“You can take it as both.”

“You’re scary. But I’ll listen to you.”

“Hyoyeon unnie will report to me.”

Yoona shot a dirty look at Hyoyeon who was smirking away.

“I’ll miss you.”

Yoona turned her attention back to Seohyun.

“I’ll miss you too.”

“Email me, promise?”

“I promise. Why are you such a kid?”

“I’m just worried for you. I cannot be there to watch over you anymore.”

“I’m more sensible than you.”

“Well that’s true but it’s hurting my ego a little.”

Seohyun giggled before hugging Yoona for one last time. She loved this lady before but she has never regretted it. She realized being friends with Yoona was so much better – Yoona’s still concerned about her and that makes Seohyun really happy to have Yoona as her friend.

“I’ll call you the moment I’m there.”

“Okay! I’ll be waiting! If not I’ll call you!”

“Yes, Miss Im. I’ll call you.”

They said their final goodbyes and Seohyun went her way. Yoona was waving but her heart was aching as well. She really cares for Seohyun but only her heart couldn’t love her the way Seohyun wanted her to.

Take care, Seohyun. I hope you’ll find someone better than me.

-

Another bouquet of flowers and Macdonald Big Breakfast were already prepared on her table. Soo Young was envious of Jessica.

“Oh my god, that romantic !”

Jessica smiled as she took the flowers and took a deep breath.

“Aren’t you moved by this?”

“Hm?”

“How long do you need to realize your heart wants my dumb best friend?”

“She’s not dumb. Stop calling her that.”

Soo Young stuck her tongue out.

“I know you’re concerned about Yoona. I’ll do something, soon.”

“REALLY?!”

“But you and Taeyeon must stay out of this!”

“Huh?”

“Don’t tell her anything! I’ll think of something.”

It has been few weeks since Yoona courted Jessica the traditional way – sending flowers, writing letters and notes; breakfast and sometimes lunch over without fail; every single day. Jessica was moved to tears but the terrifying feeling inside of her was still raging strong. She was afraid to hurt Yoona.

“Don’t take too long, boss. Chances don’t come all the time.”

Soo Young’s last words were a warning reminder for Jessica. Soo Young was right. She needed to do something soon.

-

“Hyoyeon unnie, can I kill you now?”

“What?”

“What did you tell Seohyun this time!?”

“You came home LATE and didn’t eat DINNER!”

“I DID!”

“Yes, “French fries” is not considered as dinner.”

“WHO TOLD YOU THAT?!”

Soo Young looked away; Yoona glared at her.

“Hey, she’s my girlfriend!”

“You tale-teller!”

“Oh come on, you seriously do not have a healthy diet.”

“Thanks to you, Seohyun wants me to send a picture of my breakfast, lunch and dinner EVERY DAY!”

The couple sniggered and Yoona was appalled. She went back into her room; grumbling and mumbling away.

“STUPID UNNIESSSS~!”

Her phone rang and Yoona answered grudgingly. She wasn’t even looking at the ID caller.

“HELLO!?!”

“Er, hi. Did I get you at the wrong time?”

Yoona pulled the phone away and looked at the ID caller – Jessica Jung. She smiled widely.

“HI!”

“Okay, that was a fast change.”

“Well, let just say two nosey ladies are messing up my life every now and then.”

“Ah, let me see, Hyoyeon and Soo Young?”

“Yeah, so what’s up? Did you get my flowers?”

“Yes, every single day. Can you stop wasting your money on me?”

Yoona was crestfallen but she refused to admit defeat.

“That’s my sincerity towards you.”

“I know but I prefer if you could just bring those flowers to me directly.”

Yoona’s eyes grew really large.

“What?”

“Yoona, can we meet? I need to tell you something.”

“Where? Now?”

“Yeah, I’m actually downstairs.”

Yoona hung up immediately and ran out of her room.  Soo Young was stunned when the lady ran past her. She could feel the cold gush of wind blew into her face.

“What was that?!”

“That’s Im Yoona, the flash.”

“Where’s she going?”

“Baby, she’s grown up.”

“Are you going to tell Seohyun about this?”

“No need too. Look out of the window.”

“Why?”

“Just do it.”

Soo Young looked out of the window and recognised her boss’s car.

“Oh.”

“Yes, I saw her since just now when I went to the bathroom.”

“I hope it’s good news.”

“Well, if that flasher Im ran out so fast, I assume it would be.”

“Flasher Im? That sounds ert.”

“You know what; only someone like you can think of it like that.”

Soo Young rolled her eyes at her girlfriend.

-

“Hello?”

Jessica was stunned when Yoona suddenly hung up.

“Why did she hang up? She didn’t want to see me?”

Suddenly someone jumped on the hood of her car. Her face was pressed tightly against her windscreen.

“AH!”

“JESSICA!”

“OH MY GOD! IM YOONA! YOU SCARED THE HELL OUT OF ME!”

Jessica quickly got of the car and pulled Yoona off from her car hood. She managed to smack Yoona on her forehead but the younger lady didn’t care less.

“Why did you do that for?!”

“I was too excited!”

“Huh?”

“You came to see me!”

Yoona pulled her closer and hugged her tightly. Jessica was stunned at first but somehow recovered quickly. She wrapped her arms around Yoona’s back and buried her face in her chest.

“You have no idea how much I miss you.”

Yoona whispered softly in her ears. Jessica melted immediately. She found it stupid that she was afraid of this; she was terrified of this commitment. Yoona was the best gift and she kept pushing her away.

“I’m sorry for being stupid.”

“It’s okay; I was stupid too. We fit perfectly.”

“I didn’t ask you to acknowledge it.”

“I don’t care anymore just as long as you’re here with me.”

Jessica pulled herself away from Yoona and gently caressed her cheeks. She cupped both of palms on Yoona’s warm cheeks before pulling in for a fervent kiss.

“I have something for you. Let’s go.”

Yoona nodded like a little child and both ladies disappeared from the darkness; driving away in Jessica’s car.

-

Yoona was blindfolded and made to wait in the car. Yoona tried to hear for any sounds as clues but she could only hear crickets.

“Jessica, where are you? I’m scared!”

“Just a minute, I’ll be done.”

“Why are there crickets around me? Are we in a jungle or something?”

Jessica didn’t answer but she heard noises like someone was approaching her.

“Jessica?”

“Here, take my hand.”

Yoona grabbed on tightly and Jessica helped her out of the car. They were walking on a smooth surface before Yoona’s feet hit something hard.

“Ow.”

“Be careful, there are many tiny rocks here.”

“Tiny rocks?”

Yoona finally heard a swishing and howling sound. It sounded like the waves.

“Beach?”

“Yes, we are at the beach.”

“Are you going to bring me into the water? I cannot swim!”

“Don’t be an idiot and can you just trust me?”

“I’m afraid of the dark, seriously!”

“I’m here, I’m not going to kill you!”

Yoona kept quiet after that. Jessica sounded pissed and she didn’t want to spoil the moment. She put her trust on Jessica and finally she could feel sandy particles in her sandals. She knew they were near the beach now.

“You can take out your blindfold now.”

Yoona pulled out immediately and gasped at the surprise she had in front of her. The beach was beautifully lighted up with candles and there was a verandah right in the middle of the beach with white curtains hanging lowly. A dining table was set up right in the middle of the verandah.

“I don’t know what I should do so I thought of this. I know it’s not that special but I wanted it to be different because I wanted you to know how much you mean to me.”

Jessica spoke up softly. Yoona never knew this side of Jessica who was actually a little romantic than Yoona could give credit for.

“You planned this all by yourself?”

“I even cooked.”

“You what?!”

“Well, of course some people helped.”

Yoona was grinning away. And Jessica was blushing away.

“You’re right about accepting your heart into mine. The truth is; well you already knew; but I have already accepted your heart way before you ever confessed to me. I don’t know why I couldn’t put you away; couldn’t erase you out of my mind. I was going crazy and I must confess something.”

“What is it?”

“I was really jealous of Seohyun.”

“You did?!”

“Yeah, remember when you got sick and she came over to cook for you?”

“You were jealous since then!?”

Yoona was grinning away.

“Stop grinning away. I know you’re happy to know that.”

“No, I just find us stupid seriously. We went one big round just to realize that we’re in love. I was jealous of Taeyeon too.”

It was Jessica’s turn to grin. Yoona rolled her eyes.

“So, just to cut things short, I just want to say this.”

Jessica swallowed hard and Yoona was anticipating it.

“Im Yoona, I’m in love with you.”

That was the perfect night ever.

-