Chapter 25

The Old & The New

Soo Young was at the airport. She needed to have more information on the plane crash. Taeyeon volunteered to check with the airlines. How did the plane crash? Are there any survivors? Soo Young wanted to know all. Hyoyeon accompanied her to the airport. Seohyun was on the phone with her.

There were a lot of people at the airport. All the relatives of the crash victims were there. There were some who wailed and cried at the top of their lungs and another handful shouted at the officials randomly. Most were just blowing off their tempers as they couldn’t get the answers they needed.

“Here is the list of the passengers on board the flight. Family members and relatives of the victims, please kindly approach our staff for assistance.”

Soo Young heard the announcement but she saw the crowd gushing towards the staff was tremendously horrifying. Some might just get trampled on.

“What are you going to do now?”

“Let’s just wait. I don’t think we can through the crowd now.”

Soo Young was pointing at the crazy crowd; some broke down immediately upon confirming their loved ones’ names on the list. Soo Young watched as one by one crumbled down and many others needed their families to hold on to them. Suddenly Soo Young realized something.

“Where is Yoona’s family?”

She mumbled to herself. Were they unaware of Yoona’s whereabouts? Yoona didnt inform them either? Soo Young was about to grab her phone from her pocket when Hyoyeon called out to her.

“Baby, over here! They have put another list here.”

“Oh okay.”

Soo Young went over with a heavy heart. She wished she wouldn’t see Yoona’s name on it but she knew Yoona was on board the plane. The airlines confirmed that she was earlier on.

“God, give me strength.”

Soo Young mumbled to herself.

-

Jessica was biting her pancakes slowly. She didn’t have any appetite to eat but she has promised Tiffany that she would eat. Yuri was doing the same but at least she ate finished. Tiffany was watching both ladies; struggling to keep a smile on their faces.

The house was quiet. Tiffany turned off the television and radio because she knew there would be news of the plane crash reporting on every media cycle. She didn’t want the girls to be upset. Soo Young promised to update her if there’s something.

“Tiffany, I want to sleep.”

Jessica suddenly spoke up. She has finally finished her last bite and Tiffany nodded. Jessica got up and left the kitchen; leaving Yuri alone with Tiffany.

“How are you doing?”

Tiffany went up to Yuri who was staring at her glass of milk since just now.

“I have no idea, Tiffany. I feel like I’m living a dream now.”

Tiffany kissed Yuri on her cheek.

“Don’t think too much. Just pray hard for Yoona’s safety.”

Yuri turned to Tiffany.

“You seriously think Yoona’s still alive?”

“I would like to believe that she is.”

“What if she isn’t?”

“Why are you giving up so easily?”

“It’s a plane crash, Tiffany. They feared that all of the passengers perished in this crash.”

“I still believe in miracles.”

“You’re just giving hope to Jessica.”

“I’m not. They assumed that all of the passengers are dead. But you never know. God knows better than we do. What if Yoona is still alive somewhere and she needs help? But all you can think of is the worse of her.”

“I’m not thinking of the worst. I’m preparing myself for it. If Yoona has really perished, I won’t be able to see her for the rest of my ing life, Tiffany.”

“You’re a doctor. Don’t you think you’re too pessimistic this time?”

“This is something clearly written in my eyes that she might not return alive. I cannot live my life in fantasy; hoping and wishing that Yoona would still be alive.”

Tiffany smiled.

“Then continue to have that positive thought. For all you know, Yoona’s still breathing somewhere.”

“Why are you doing this, Tiffany?”

Tiffany sighed.

“I want to believe that Yoona’s still alive. Until they find her body, I’ll assume that Yoona’s still living.”

Yuri stared blankly at Tiffany’s face.

“I’m doing this because I don’t want to break down so easily. I cannot break down now, Yuri. You and Jessica need me now. So I’m going to hang on to my instinct that Yoona’s still living; still alive somewhere.”

Tiffany refused to give up somehow.

-

Jessica covered herself with the blanket. There was nothing she could do. She was definitely not fit to work and besides Taeyeon has ordered her to stay at home for now.  She was hugging Yoona’s t-shirt. The girl left it behind after she spent the night with Jessica. The t-shirt still carries Yoona’s smell.

“Yoona..”

Jessica couldn’t help it; a round of fresh tears came and the lady cried bitterly into Yoona’s t-shirt.

-

“Eh wait, am I seeing things?”

Soo Young rubbed her tired eyes and Hyoyeon was still squinting at the name list.

“Baby, are you sure this is the correct flight?”

“Seohyun gave me the itinerary.”

“But I don’t see her name.”

“Did we make a mistake?”

“Or that lady yesterday made a blunder?”

“Wait, let me call Taeyeon.”

Taeyeon was checking online for updates and it would be easier for Taeyeon to check on the internet.

“What?”

“I’m serious. Hyoyeon went through it 3 times and I went through it 5 times. Yoona’s name is not on it.”

“Okay, I’ll check now.”

“Get back to me as soon as possible.”

“Sure!”

Soo Young was perplexed. What on earth was going on? Where the hell was Im Yoona now?

-

“Halmeoniii!! Where do you want me to put this?”

“Ya! Who asked you to carry that? It’s heavy!”

“It’s okay! I’m stronger than oppa!”

“Ya, right? Don’t complain to me if your back hurts!”

“Oh come on, Taecyeon oppa! Just because you carry weights; you think you’re stronger huh?!”

“Can you stop bickering? These boxes are not getting any lighter. Please move!”

“Baby! Why are you carrying them!? Let me carry!”

“Ok Taecyeon, do you think you can look down on us?!”

“I never say that. I only look down on Im Yoona.”

“HEY!”

“Taecyeon, stop disturbing Yoona. Come on in and fix the television for me!”

“Yes Halmeoni!”

Yoona was dragging the mattress up to the second level. Taecyeon’s wife was carrying some boxes up and they were helping Old Grandmother Park to move place.

“Phew~”

Yoona dumped the mattress on the floor and fell above it. She was extremely exhausted. They had finally finished with the moving.

“Okay, the television is fixed!”

“Oh, great! Now I can watch my television! I was bored to death yesterday!”

“Yoona, you’re such a kid.”

“Shut up.”

“Halmeoni lives up in the country. It’s difficult to get television network.”

“It’s okay, Halmeoni. Now you’re closer to us, I feel much better.”

“Yeah, that’s right. Thank god your neighbour called us! Is your back feeling better now?”

“I’m fine now. I’m just getting old now.”

“That’s why you have to live closer to us! Taecyeon oppa and myself can just drop by to visit you.”

“Alright, alright. I’ll listen to the both of you okay?”

Yoona smiled widely. Taecyeon’s wife was already watching the news when she suddenly called out to them.

“Hey, look at this! There’s a plane crash yesterday!”

“Huh?”

Yoona held on to Halmeoni’s hands while Taecyeon rushed towards his wife. The four of them sat down on the sofa and watched the news. Yoona was staring at the flight number and gasped loudly.

“What’s wrong with you?”

“Oh my god!”

“What’s with you, Yoona?”

“I’m supposed to be on that flight yesterday!”

“WHAT?!”

Yoona’s eyes grew larger by the second as the news went unfold.

-

“Soo Young, according to the airlines, Yoona did check in.”

“Then? She disappeared?”

“Wait, I saw a passenger with the same name as hers.”

“Huh?”

“Hwang Yoona.”

Soo Young looked through the list again. She saw the name – Hwang Yoona.

“OH MY GOD!”

“Did you make a mistake yesterday?”

“No, I didn’t! I asked for Im Yoona.”

“Can you check with her family members or something?”

“I’m going to now.”

She hung up on Taeyeon and called Yoona's sister immediately.

“Hello?”

“Soo Young!”

“Unnie, can I ask you something?”

“What is it?”

“Is Yoona with you?”

“Yoona? She’s not with me now.”

“Oh, okay.”

“What’s wrong? Are you looking for her?”

“Yes, kinda.”

“Why don’t you call her directly?”

Soo Young went silent on her end.  Why didn’t she think of that?

“Err, I feel so stupid.”

“Don’t be. Yoona’s equally stupid too.”

“Unnie, you’re not supposed to agree.”

“I didn’t agree. I’m just implying.”

“Bye unnie, talk to you later!”

“YA!”

Soo Young hung up immediately.  She then looked for Hyoyeon. Hyoyeon was eating ice cream.

“Baby, are you serious?”

“It’s a hot day and people are not being friendly.”

“Okay, fine. Look, you know how stupid we can get?”

“You finally admitted that you are?”

“Shut up, baby. You’re equally stupid, Taeyeon too, and Tiffany and Yuri and even Jessica Jung.”

“What are you implying at? I’m lost.”

“We didn’t do one thing that we should have done in the very first place.”

“What is it?”

“CALL YOONA!”

Hyoyeon just stared blankly at Soo Young. Her girlfriend was right. How dumb could they be.

“We should have tried to call Yoona. Maybe she didn’t board the plane or something.”

“We asked yesterday.”

“Taeyeon found someone with the same name as Yoona.”

“YOU’RE KIDDING!”

“No, I saw the name myself – Hwang Yoona.”

“Are you going to babble for the whole day?”

“What?”

“Call her now!”

“Oh, that’s right!”

Soo Young fumbled Yoona’s number but managed to get through. Soo Young was relieved. It was the familiar ringing tone. But her heart wavered.  Yoona didn’t answer.

“She hasn’t answered?”

Hyoyeon appeared concerned despite being the most laidback among all of them.

“No, she isn’t answering.”

Soo Young was about to hang up at the last few ringing when suddenly someone answered on the other side.

“Soo Young?”

Soo Young almost wanted to cry.

-