Chapter 16

The Old & The New

“What? Where did she say she was going?”

Soo Young was surprised when Seohyun told her that Yoona had to travel out of the country.

“She didn’t mention which country. She said she needed to leave because it was urgent.”

“What the.”

“Is everything alright with Yoona, Soo Young unnie?”

Soo Young couldn’t be sure and she had a bad feeling about this. Hyoyeon was already sighing away. Seohyun was still in the dark; well she wasn’t sure what was going on either.

“Seohyun, I need to talk to your Soo Young unnie for a while.”

“Oh okay, I’ll buy us lunch. I’ll see you later.”

“Alright.”

The three girls were at Soo Young’s office and Seohyun left immediately. Hyoyeon was closing the door before turning to face her girlfriend. She was a little furious about Yoona as she knew Yoona’s feelings towards Seohyun weren’t true.

“Do you mind telling me what’s happening, Soo Young?”

Soo Young turned to look at Hyoyeon. Her girlfriend was a little upset.

“I know you’re upset about Yoona.”

“Seohyun’s like my little sister. I’m a little protective over her. And I know Yoona went through a lot with Yuri but if she doesn’t love Seohyun, she should just be honest.”

“You suspected it too?!”

“I might be quiet. But I know what’s going on. Yoona’s not in love with Seohyun. She’s falling in love with Jessica, isn’t it?”

Soo Young nodded her head.

“But that dumb woman doesn’t realize it.”

“Your boss is dumb as well.”

“What do you mean?”

“She’s in love with Yoona as well.”

“How do you know?”

“It’s a gut feeling but from what I observed, your boss and your dumb best friend are in love with each other.”

“This is insane.”

“I don’t know what’s going to happen in the future but if you can advise Yoona about Seohyun, please do before that innocent girl falls for Yoona further.”

“I’ll have a talk with her. But Seohyun will get hurt eventually.”

“Don’t worry, I’ll look out for her. You just need to get Yoona back to her senses. And I know where she went.”

“What?”

“I went into her room this morning. She left her laptop on. She booked herself a trip to Paris. I think she went to meet Jessica.”

“WHAT?!”

Soo Young was stunned but someone else’s heart was already breaking apart. The girl in question was just outside the door; listening to their conversation.

Seohyun returned to Soo Young’s office. She has forgotten her purse and stumbled upon the couple’s conversation.

Yoona unnie…

Tears fell immediately.

-

“Andwaeyo; it’s my turn to cry; naega hallgaeywo”

14 hours on the flight drove Yoona crazy. She was extremely worried for Jessica. She couldn’t stand hearing Jessica’s quivering voice over the phone.  The plane has finally touched down and Yoona was eager to get off the plane. She was the first to leave the plane and checked herself out. She left the departure hall immediately and turned her phone on. There were many messages but she decided to call Jessica first.

“Hello?”

“Where are you?”

“Im Yoona, are you crazy? Where have you been?”

“I’m already here.”

“Huh!?”

“I’m already in Paris International Airport. Where are you?”

Yoona was running around the airport; searching for Jessica. Suddenly she saw a familiar figure stood in front of the statue; staring at her. She found Jessica.

“Jessica!”

Jessica was stunned for words. She couldn’t believe Yoona was here. Yoona, the one she was missing all this while was finally here. She never thought; she could have Yoona by her side when she needed her the most.

Yoona crashed into her; grabbing her arms and held her tightly in her embrace. Jessica was still stunned but as soon as Yoona whispered softly in her ears. Jessica cried immediately.

“Hush now, don’t cry. I’m here.”

Jessica cried even more.

-

“What happened?”

The two ladies were sitting at the café nearby the airport. Yoona held her hand tightly; her eyes were concerned.

“Taeyeon has a change of heart.”

“Huh? What do you mean?”

Jessica told her what happened and Yoona was completely appalled by Taeyeon’s stupidity.

“What was she thinking?”

“I don’t know. I guess she’s confused.”

“She didn’t come after you?”

Jessica shook her head.

“What the hell!”

“I’m just glad that you’re here but what did Seohyun said?”

“I told her I had something urgent to do overseas.”

“You didn’t tell her you’re meeting me?”

“No.”

“Why, Yoona?”

Yoona bit her lower lip. She wasn’t too sure if she should reveal her feelings for Jessica. It was clear to her now that her heart loves Jessica. But she couldn’t take advantage of Jessica just like that and she’s still Seohyun’s girlfriend. She couldn’t be selfish. She had to keep her feelings to herself first. She had to. She was forced to.

“I didn’t want her to worry for me.”

“What if she finds out?”

“I’ll explain to her. Don’t worry so much about Seohyun.”

“Are you sure, Yoona?”

“Yes, I’m sure. Don’t worry okay?”

Jessica nodded and pulled Yoona closer for a hug. It felt right being in Yoona’s arms and Jessica was battling with her feelings deep down inside. She was still unsure why she felt like this.

“Let’s grab something to eat. I’m hungry.”

“Okay, let’s do that.”

“After that, we can book a flight back. Don’t cry anymore. I’m here.”

“Thanks Yoona.”

“You’re welcome.”

Two silly lovefools just couldn’t tell each other how they felt for one another. They just couldn’t be honest; circumstances didn’t allow them.

-

The next flight out was in two days’ time. Yoona and Jessica had time to walk around Paris. They booked a hotel nearby to the airport and there was only one room left.

“It’s a queen-sized bed. That’s all they have.”

“Just take it first.”

“Are you sure?”

“Why? Are you a man?”

“No, I mean never mind.”

Jessica decided not to ask further and took up the room. Both ladies went up and was awed at the design especially Yoona.

“Wow, the room looks really good.”

“Yeah, it is.”

Jessica yawned. Yoona turned to look at her.

“Get some sleep. You must be tired at the airport the whole time. Why didn’t you book a room for yourself?”

“I didn’t think of it. I was too swarmed with Taeyeon.”

“I understand. Get some sleep.”

“How about you?”

“I’ll sleep later.”

“Okay.”

Jessica fell asleep almost immediately. It didn’t take long and Yoona was amused.  She pulled the blanket over Jessica before settling down at the sofa nearby. She suddenly remembered her phone and those messages that she hasn’t read yet.

She took out her phone from her jeans pocket and saw Seohyun’s name on most of the messages. She frowned and wondered what happened. Why did Seohyun send so many messages to her?

She pressed READ on the first message.

[Baby, where are you going? Why couldn’t I get you? Please call me when you read this message.]

[Yoona, why did you turn your phone off? Call me urgently.]

[Yoona, we need to talk. Please call me. I’m going crazy.]

Yoona was frowning away. What happened to Seohyun? She was worried.

[Yoona, are you with Jessica unnie now? They said you booked yourself a ticket to Paris. There is where Jessica unnie is right now, right? Why are you with her? Why wouldn’t you tell me the truth?]

[Yoona, is it true? You’re in love with Jessica unnie?]

SEOHYUN!

Yoona didn’t wait further. She left the room and immediately called Seohyun. She wasn’t too sure what she would say to Seohyun but she needed to hear Seohyun’s voice. Honestly, Yoona cares a lot about Seohyun. Even if there’s not much love for her but Yoona cares for her genuinely.

“Come on, Seohyun! Answer the phone, please!”

Yoona was getting worried. She waited for a while more and someone finally answered.

“Seohyun!”

There was only silence.

“Seohyun, I know you can hear me. I know it’s you.”

There was still silence but a few seconds later, there was a sigh.

“You finally called.”

“Seohyun, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to hide it from you. I don’t want you to worry about me.”

“You don’t want me to know that you’re with Jessica unnie now.”

“Seohyun, I….”

“Tell me truthfully, Yoona. Do you love me?”

Yoona knew she shouldn’t lie anymore. She wanted to love Seohyun; she wanted to fall in love with her but unfortunately her heart wanted otherwise.

“I should have known.”

“Seohyun..”

“Those times when you spent your time with Jessica unnie; those moments when you talked on the phone for hours with her; those long night messages you had with her; I should have known that your heart wants her.”

Yoona’s eyes grew larger.

“I know everything. I suspected it but I never thought you would hurt me like that but you did.”

“Seohyun, I’m sorry. I shouldn’t lie to you. Honestly, I love you.”

“Yes, you love me but as a sister, right?”

“Seohyun, I’m sorry.”

“Let’s end it now.”

“Seohyun!”

“Good luck, Yoona unnie.”

Seohyun ended the call immediately; Yoona was horrified.

-

Seohyun interrupted Soo Young and Hyoyeon’s conversation. The two older ladies were stumped.

“Seohyun!”

“I heard everything.”

“I thought you were out?”

“I forgot my purse.”

The two ladies were horrified when Seohyun told them she overheard their conversation. The couple was worried but Seohyun shrugged it off.

“I have my suspicions as well.”

“What do you mean?”

“Yoona spent her time on the phone more with Jessica unnie than with me.”

Hyoyeon looked at Soo Young.

“She hasn’t uttered those 3 words to me at all before. I’ve been waiting for her those words to be said to me but no, nothing from her.”

“Seohyun, oh my god! I’m so sorry that your heart is broken.”

Hyoyeon was feeling guilty and Soo Young wanted to kill Yoona.

“Don’t feel guilty. Every love has its moments of heartache. I guess mine is going to be this way.”

“I apologised on behalf of Yoona, Seohyun. She’s stupid. She’s dumb sometimes.”

“She’s cute when she’s dumb.”

“Huh?”

“Don’t worry; I’m not mad with her.  But I wish she had the little courage to be truthful to herself.”

“What?”

“I know she’s in love with Jessica unnie but she just couldn’t realize it.”

“Seohyun, stop talking like that.”

“Don’t worry, Hyoyeon unnie. I’ll be fine.”

“I’m going to be here for you.”

“Me too!”

“Thanks unnies. I know what to do now. Help Yoona find her true heart.”

Seohyun smiled with tears rolling down her cheeks. It hurt her; to be honest; it broke her literally. But she knew it was redundant to force her love onto Yoona when she already knew who had already captured Yoona’s heart in the first place.

Yoona finally called her earlier on and Seohyun was determined to end this relationship. She remained calm and kept her cool; she could hear Yoona’s wavering voice. She was feeling guilty and Seohyun didn’t want her to feel that way.

She knew Yoona genuinely cares for her and there were times when Yoona would do anything to make her happy. To a certain extent, she believes that Yoona didn’t mean to hurt her but she was too blinded by her own heart. Love is just cruel that way and Seohyun finally understood the meaning of it.

But it was difficult. The moment she hung up on Yoona, tears fell immediately. Her heart was literally broken and she couldn’t breathe. It felt like someone was suffocating her and Seohyun’s mind was full of Yoona’s memories.

Sadly, it was the end.

She ended it.

She wasn’t in the wrong but yet she took the responsibility.

Goodbye Yoona unnie. I hope you find love soon. Be happy, sweetheart. I’ll never forget you.

-

Jessica bit her lower lip when she saw the tears in Yoona’s eyes. She knew about Seohyun because Yoona was screaming into the phone earlier on. Jessica was awakened by Yoona’s cries and she quickly wrapped her arms around her.

“Seohyun has left me. Seohyun broke up with me!”

That was all Yoona could say and Jessica felt responsible for it. She apologised again and again but Yoona kept crying.

It must have hurt so badly. Jessica must have felt the pain as well.

“Yoona…”

“It’s my fault.”

“Yoona…”

“Seohyun’s heart is broken because of me.”

Jessica could only tighten her grip around Yoona.

“I’m sorry Seohyun.”

Both ladies cried together. Jessica finally heard her own heart.  She knew why she needed Yoona here because she loves her. She has fallen in love with Yoona but she knew it was just so wrong to confess her heart when Yoona was broken like this.

So she hid it deep within her heart; hoping that one day; it will come to light.

So stupid of Jessica Jung to think that way but it was how it was meant to be.

-

Taeyeon was standing just outside Sunny’s door.  She couldn’t remember how she got here. But she knew her heart led her here. She pressed on the door bell. Someone opened. She was stunned.

“I’m sorry for being stupid.”

Taeyeon spoke up softly.

“I couldn’t get you out of my mind. And I have broken someone’s heart because the only person I wanted to be with is you.”

So decisions were made. Seohyun left. Taeyeon went back to her lost love. And the two dumb fools were still hiding their true feelings inside for each other.

-