Chapter 29

The Old & The New

Jessica stood outside the door; refused to enter the house. She could see Taeyeon, Soo Young and Hyoyeon staring at her. Her heart started to ache so badly. She couldn’t believe it.

“Jessica, come in.”

Soo Young persuaded softly.

“I don’t believe this.”

Jessica’s voice was quivering too much. Krystal was holding on to her.

“I’m sorry for your loss, Jessica.”

Taeyeon’s eyes were puffy red. It was obvious to Jessica that she was crying. Everyone was solemn and quiet. Jessica saw Yoona’s photo and the candles lighted up in front of it. She wondered if she could carry on living her life without her. All of Yoona’s memories came flooding into her mind.

“Yoona..”

Jessica fell on her knees the moment she reached the altar. She held on to Yoona’s photo and cried bitterly. Everybody was still staring at her; their eyes were red.

“Yoona, how could you leave me like this? I know I did you wrong, Yoona. I know I hurt you but that doesn’t give you the right to leave me forever; all alone like this. You know I need you. You know I love you so much; I was just being stubborn.”

Jessica was crying bitterly. She was too focused on Yoona’s photo that she didn’t even realize that everybody was missing. Nobody was in the hall with her. But Jessica was too upset with Yoona’s demise to notice that.

Meanwhile everybody was in Soo Young’s room. They left the door ajar and Soo Young was behind it.

“Is Jessica still there?”

“Yes, she is.”

“Does she realize we’re not with her anymore?”

“She doesn’t give a damn about us.”

“When is Yoona coming out?”

“I have no idea. It should be anytime now.”

The rest of the ladies hung out in the room when suddenly Amber’s stomach was growling.

“What the hell?”

“I’m hungry.”

“Ah, damn it! I should have brought in some snacks from the table!”

Taeyeon regretted.

“I have chocolates!”

Soo Young bent down and pulled out a large box from under her bed. The rest of the ladies were staring at her.

“What’s that?”

This was the first time Hyoyeon noticed that box too.

“This is my secret stash of food.”

“You’re kidding me! You’re been hiding that from me?!”

“It’s SECRET! What do you think?!”

“How could you! I’m your baby!”

“Don’t think I don’t know. You have own secret stash too!”

The ladies turned to look at Hyoyeon. She was taken aback.

“How did you...?”

Soo Young pulled a chair and climbed on it. She opened the cabinet above her study table. There was more food in there. Hyoyeon rolled her eyes. She was busted. She pretended like she didn’t care and took out some chocolates from Soo Young’s stash. She passed them around.

“There go my chocolates!”

Soo Young sighed as everyone ripped the chocolate wrapping apart.

“It’s okay. You can have mine.”

Hyoyeon grinned as she took out her box and gave them to Soo Young.  She gave Soo Young the most expensive chocolates she has ever bought.

-

Jessica was still staring at Yoona’s photo. She was still complete unaware that the ladies were no longer in the hall with her. Suddenly, the room lights went off. Jessica was terrified of the dark.

“Tiffany? Krystal?”

She finally realized she was all alone in the room. Only the candles were still lighted. Jessica swallowed hard. The atmosphere was getting weird. She slowly got up on her feet and looked around. Nobody was around.

“Girls? Soo Young? Taeyeon? Amber? Yuri? Hyoyeon? Where are you all?”

Jessica picked up a candle and used it as a form of light. She was moving slowly to a room; she was a little confused. How did she end up alone?

“Krys? Fany?”

She found the doorknob. She made a full twist.

-

Yoona was shocked when suddenly her room was dark. It was in total darkness and Yoona couldn’t find her phone.

“Sheesh. Damn phone, what the hell!”

Yoona felt her way around the room.  She felt her bag.

“Come on!”

She dug into her bag blindly. She finally got hold of her phone and pulled it out. She pressed on the button and there was light.

She turned around. There was a light at the door. Her eyes grew larger. The person with the light was equally stunned. 

“ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!”

The dolphin screams pierced through Yoona’s ears and burst Yoona’s ear drums immediately.

-

Meanwhile the ladies in another room were making the hell of noise as well.  

“ARGH!”

“YA! STOP SCREAMING!”

“Who turned off the lights?”

“OW!”

“I’m sorry!”

“Kim Taeyeon, you’re stepping on my thigh!”

“I cannot see!”

“Wait, hang on! I’m taking out my phone!”

“Yuri ah! I’m scared!”

“I’m here, Fany!”

“YA! You’re hugging KRYSTAL!”

“Oops!”

“KWON YURI!”

“I’m sorry, Tiffany! I cannot see!”

“Are you taking advantage of me, Soo Young?”

“Huh? What?”

“Why are you touching my s?”

“Who are you?!”

“I’M YOUR BOSS!”

“HAHAHAHA! Baby, you’re so dead! Taeyeon’s going to kill you in the office!”

“Shut up, baby! Where are you btw?”

“I’m beside you!”

“Err, you’re beside Amber. And why are you holding my hand so tightly?”

“You’re not Soo Young?”

“No?”

“KIM HYOYEON, YOU’RE SO DEAD!”

“Don’t blame me! Blame the blackout!”

“AMBER LIU! I THOUGHT YOU’RE TAKING OUT YOUR PHONE?! WHY ARE YOU HOLDING ON TO SOMEONE ELSE’S HAND?!”

“She was holding on to me!”

“Can you guys stop caressing each other?!”

“Can someone please get some light?”

“I’m trying to light the candle. Hang on!”

Finally, the candle became their only source of light. It was such a mess when suddenly they heard a high pitch dolphin scream from across the hall. Somehow all of them knew who the culprit was.

“JESSICA!”

They scrambled to get out of the room.

-

Hours later:

“Is she alright?”

“She’s fine. She needs stitching up.”

“Oh, can we see her?”

“Sure but not now, just let her rest for a bit.”

“Okay, thanks doctor!”

Someone ended up in the hospital with a deep gash across her forehead. They rushed her to the hospital.

Tiffany glanced to her side; worried for somebody. That someone was sitting on the sofa; staring blankly into the empty space. She took a deep breath.

“Jessica..”

Jessica rolled her eyes and looked away.

“Jessica, we know you’re angry. We’re sorry.”

“How could you girls do this to me?”

“Well, it was Yoona’s idea.”

“And you stupidly agreed to it?”

“Er, you were too stubborn before.”

“I thought she died, Tiffany!”

Jessica raised her voice.  Krystal went up to her sister as well. She was going to get an earful from her but she knew deep down Jessica’s heart, she was worried. It was written in her face.

“Unnie, we know this is the stupidest idea but Yoona unnie has already got her deserts.”

Jessica looked at her sister.

“You threw a chair at her face.”

“I was scared to death!”

“I know you were. But she’s injured now.”

“Who asked her to scare me?!”

-

“ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!”

“Jessica, calm down! It’s me!”

Yoona tried to come closer but Jessica was horrified. She thought Yoona was a ghost. She threw the candle at Yoona. The girl backed off. Jessica’s scream was piercing her eardrums. She had to stop it.

“Jessica, it’s me! It’s Yoona!”

“No! You’re a spirit! You’re supposed to be dead!”

“No, I’m not dead yet! I’m still alive!”

“What?”

“Wait, I’ll come closer.”

“NO!”

Jessica grabbed something that was closest to her and she threw a chair at Yoona. But instead of the chair going through the so called Yoona ghost; it hit her straight in the forehead.

“OW!”

Jessica was confused. How could a ghost scream in pain?

“Why did you throw the chair at me for?”

“Wait, you’re seriously a human?”

“YES! I’m Yoona!”

At that moment in time, the lights went up again and Jessica could now see clearly; Im Yoona was kneeling down in front of her with a bleeding forehead. Just nice, the pranksters were rushing into the room.

“Jessica! WHAT HAPPENED?”

Soo Young was horrified when Yoona was kneeling down with her hand covered with blood. Jessica was just staring into blank space. She was horrified and confused.

“What’s going on?!”

Everybody started staring at each other. They finally turned to Yoona who rolled her eyes.

“You betrayers!”

“It was your idea!”

“Fine, I’ll explain. Help me up.”

Soo Young and Taeyeon came forward and pulled Yoona up. She wanted to get nearer to Jessica and the two ladies helped her.

“Jessica, before you throw another chair at me, listen to my explanation. I’m not dead. I didn’t get on the plane because I forgot my passport. I didn’t contact anybody because I was up in the mountains; helping my grandmother to move closer to the city. She injured her back so I rushed to her. The reception up in the mountain was really bad and we didn’t have television. I only got to know about the crash the next day when we reached to my hometown.”

Yoona waited for some reaction but Jessica was just staring straight at her in disbelief.

“I was glad to be alive. I couldn’t imagine if I had got on the plane. Maybe God purposely let me forgot my passport so that I wouldn’t be on that ill-fated plane. But I should have stopped there but you hurt me so badly before.”

Yoona bit her lower lip.

“I wanted to know if you will cry for me when I’m dead.”

Jessica didn’t move or say anything. She was just staring at Yoona for the longest time. The younger lady looked on; knowing she was in so much deep trouble. But Jessica’s silence was making her uncomfortable.

“Jessica?”

But Jessica didn’t speak any words. She lunged herself at Yoona; she was going to beat Yoona to pulp.

“SICA!! RELAX!”

“LET ME HAVE A GO AT HER!”

“SICA, YOU’RE GOING TO KILL HER!”

“THEN LET ME KILL HER!”

-

The rest of the ladies were at the cafeteria. Jessica was sitting outside Yoona’s ward. She turned to look at her knuckles. They were red. Of course they would be. She delivered a couple of blows into Yoona’s face earlier on.

“Are you okay?”

Jessica looked up.  Tiffany was in her wheelchair; looking at her.

“I hate you.”

Jessica whispered softly. Tiffany sighed.

“Sica, we know what we did was wrong.”

“No, I’m not even angry with what you did but I’m mad because you didn’t hold me back when I punched Yoona earlier on.”

“I tried but you were too angry.”

“I wasn’t angry. I was just in a shock.”

Tiffany smiled.

“Yoona wasn’t angry.”

“She’s a stupid girl. She’s a stupid, dumb girl.”

“Yes she’s a stupid dumb girl who loves you so dearly.”

“Sica, stop!”

Krystal and Amber managed to pull Jessica away. Soo Young and Taeyeon were holding Yoona in their arms. Jessica finally got her senses. She was shocked to see Yoona’s face covered with blood.

“Yoona, are you okay?!”

Taeyeon was concerned; Soo Young pulled her closer.

“Jessica..”

Yoona stretched her hands out but Jessica just looked on.

“Sica..”

Yoona kept calling out to her.

“I’m sorry.”

“Why did you lie? Why are you doing this to me?”

“I’m sorry. I just wanted to hear that you regret pushing me away.”

“I regretted. But I didn’t expect you do this to me.”

“I’m sorry, Sica. You know I still love you.”

“But I hate you.”

Yoona kept quiet; her palm was still holding against her open wound.

“I hate you for making me feel like this.”

“Sica, I’m sorry.”

“I hate you. I really hate you.”

“Sica, I love you. I don’t mind you hate me. Just let me love you. If I have to do this all over again, I’ll do that.”

-

Jessica looked at the sleeping Yoona. She traced Yoona’s bandaged forehead with her index finger.  She didn’t mean to hit Yoona. She didn’t even realize that she threw a chair at her. She caressed Yoona’s cheeks with her hand.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to hurt you. I just.. just miss you so much but after seeing you well and alive, I got angry. I’m sorry baby. Just get well soon, k?”

Jessica whispered softly in Yoona’s ears.

And Yoona was listening.

“I love you too, Jessica.”

She couldn’t say it out so she whispered softly in her heart.

-