Chapter 1

The Old & The New

The club was pumping into life – music, booze and hot y dancers crowding on the floor; everybody was definitely enjoying the night. Nobody stopped – everyone just went smoothly with the music. The DJ kept spinning the records – it was definitely a long night.

“Why am I here?”

A young lady with no intention to party; was promptly dragged down to the club by her older sisters. They needed to chill and she was the one only cooped up in her room; crying.

“Loosen up a little!”

Soo Young was grinding against her partner, Hyoyeon and the young lady just rolled eyes at her.

“What are you doing?”

“We’re dancing.”

“That’s not dancing; that’s grinding.”

Soo Young could only grin at her. She rolled her eyes back at Soo Young.

“Oh come on, Yoona. You have to really chill out. You used to enjoy dancing. You were a wild cat back then!”

“That was a long time ago. That was when Yuri was still with me.”

Her heart ached so much at the mention of that name. But Soo Young refused to buy it. She had always wanted her best friend to move on from her heartache.

“That’s the reason why I brought you here. You’re supposed to let loose and forget about her. She wouldn’t care for all you know.”

Soo Young put her arms around Yoona and gripped her arm tightly around the younger girl’s neck.

“Ow.”

“Come on. Don’t be a wet blanket. You’re supposed to go wild; drunk and crazy. That’s how a heart broken girl should get over her stupid lost love.”

Yoona was pulled to the dance floor with Hyoyeon and Soo Young; surrounding her. Soon, the broken-hearted girl let herself loose and partied all night long.

“To hell with Yuri! I should learn to be happy!”

She attempted to make herself feel better.

-

“Urgh, what the hell.”

Yoona woke up with a splitting headache that threatened to tear out her brains into pieces. She slowly sat up and pulled herself closer to the bed rest. She pressed her thumbs hard onto her temples; circling them around in motion to relieve the throbbing pain. She slowly opened her eyes and was getting more aware of her surroundings. She looked around with her half opened eyes and realised something was amiss.

Why was her room in white? Her room walls were blue. Her bed wasn’t that big; it was a super single bed and why was there someone beside her?

“!”

Yoona’s eyes grew larger when she realized she was not in her room; but at some stranger’s place. She lifted up her blanket and winced.

“WHY AM I ?!”

Yoona was panicking for the first time in her life.

-

Two ladies were sitting; facing each other. One was still on the bed with the blanket covered her base of her neck and all the way down to her toes. The other was all dressed up; fidgeting nervously on the sofa across the bed.

Their eyes were focusing at each other but one appeared laidback like she didn’t really care much of the situation.

“That was a great night.”

The one on the bed suddenly spoke up.

“Did we really do…?”

The nervous one was still unsure about last night’s event.

“Waking up in the morning; proved a lot of things, won’t it?”

“I…don’t remember anything.”

“Why should you remember? You were so drunk. I’m just glad you didn’t throw up on me.”

“You took me back here?”

Suddenly the one on the bed stood up; the one at the sofa cowered to her side; hiding her face.

“Are you ashamed of me now? You’ve seen me .”

“That was different. I was intoxicated. Now I’m pretty much sobered up and I know the meaning of embarrassment and shy.”

The half- woman was strutting across the room and grabbed her bathrobe. She wore it over her body before letting out a soft chuckle.

“I didn’t realize you’re this cute. You’re such a fireball last night.”

The cowered girl cringed for a moment. Nobody has mentioned her like that. It was quite embarrassing to hear it from a stranger.

“I had a lot of drink last night.”

“I know. I could see that. Wait, I was equally drunk as well so we’re even.”

“What do you mean?”

“You know, we spent the last 20 minutes trying to figure out why we on the bed; and having a conversation like as though it was a F&Q session. Let’s do something more….friendly.”

“What?”

“Let’s do it this way.”

She stuck her hand out.

“Hi, Jessica Jung.”

The one on the sofa looked on blankly; probably cautious of the laidback woman in front of her.

“Do you want to make friends or not?”

She was really impatient in many ways.

“Im Yoona.”

Nevertheless, Yoona took her hand and shook it firmly.

“There, let’s talk about this over breakfast.”

Yoona was speechless. How this lady could took this so easily?

-

“Where the hell did you go?!”

Yoona was pounced the moment she entered the door by her best friend and her girlfriend.

“Get off me! You’re heavy!”

“You scared the hell out of me! I couldn’t find you anywhere last night!”

“Hyoyeon unnie, would you mind if you get this girl off?”

Hyoyeon pulled Soo Young away from Yoona and gently pushed her girlfriend and Yoona into the living room. She sat her girlfriend on the bigger sofa while Yoona took the single seat.

“Talk nicely. I’ll make coffee.”

Hyoyeon left the two best friends alone. She was always considerate like that. She knew it would be better for the best friends to have their own privacy. Anyway Soo Young promised Yoona’s sister that she would look after her baby sister.

“Out with it.”

Yoona sighed.

“It’s your fault.”

“O.O”

“If you hadn’t force me to drink so much, I wouldn’t get into such mess.”

“What mess?”

Yoona looked up; biting her lower lip. Soo Young was already going crazy with her hesitation.

“I woke up with another woman on her bed.”

Soo Young immediately broke into a sinister laughter; leaving Yoona bewildered.

-

Yoona found out the truth. Soo Young planned for last night to happen with that girl, Jessica. Yoona was infuriated.

“WHAT?!”

“Well, I just merely introduced her to you and it went well. So I left you with her while me and Hyoyeon did our own personal thing.”

“You left me with her?! ON PURPOSE?!”

“Oh come on, you were ALL OVER HER!”

“That’s not the point!”

“Then what is?”

Yoona was speechless. It wasn’t supposed to happen like this but it did.

“Relax, she’s my boss.”

“You hooked me up with your boss?!”

“She was feeling down after her break up with her girlfriend. She needed some sort of release. And I’ve had enough of you; brooding at home; crying over some girl who wouldn’t even understand why you’re so hard up over the break up.”

“That’s my problem!”

“Well, your problem solved. You found a sweet release.”

“What sweet release?!”

“How’s my boss in bed?”

Yoona couldn’t believe Soo Young had the cheek to ask.

-

Jessica Jung had a mind of her own; she had this incredible ability to separate her emotions from her work; her personal problems would remain at home and her office would be only her work. But after her recent break up with her long-time girlfriend of 10 years; Jessica suddenly lost that special ability to do that.

She was too hung up on her ex-girlfriend. She wondered if she could move on after those ten years. It was such a long time and Jessica had grown accustomed to have her ex-girlfriend by her side. But now, she was gone; along with her heart and memories. It was too painful for her to go on.

“ it.”

Jessica threw her files aside. She just couldn’t concentrate. Her ex-girlfriend shamelessly kept filling up her mind and it tormented her so much. She was frustrated and the radio. The song was even more annoying that Jessica could ever ask for.

[Just a Fool – Christina Aguilera & Blake Shelton]

“I’m just a fool for you…”

A tear fell from the corner of her eye. Why did it hurt so much?

“BOSS!”

Someone broke her bubble of self-wallowing moment. She wiped her tears away and turned back. It was Soo Young.

“Oh, are you crying?”

“No.”

“Okay, I won’t ask more.”

“Thanks.”

“It’s lunch time. Do you want to join me?”

Jessica looked at her time. Usually, her ex-girlfriend would join her for lunch but she wasn’t there anymore. Jessica took her handbag and shooed Soo Young out of her room.

“Let’s go then.”

The two ladies left quickly.

-

“What?”

“Lunch?”

“Hyoyeon unnie, are you okay?”

“What?”

“You never ask me to go out for lunch.”

“There’s always a first time.”

“Is it always awkward for you to be in such situation?”

“What kind of situations?”

“I’m confronting the truth out of you.”

“You know I’m a pro in avoiding such awkward moments.”

“What?”

“Lunch or die.”

“That’s not avoiding! That’s threatening!”

Yoona couldn’t do anything much. Hyoyeon was already dragging her out of the house.

-

“Boss, how’s last night?”

Jessica almost spit out her glass of water. Soo Young’s cheeky grin was getting on her nerves but Jessica kept her cool.

“Why? Didn’t she say anything?”

“Who? My friend?”

Jessica nodded while trying another attempt to drink her water without any mishap.

“She flipped when I told her that I set her up with you.”

“Oh? So she didn’t like it?”

“She just felt that it was wrong. She was really embarrassed.”

Jessica perched her eyebrows together and nodding her head absentmindedly.  Their food came and Soo Young immediately dug in. Jessica was more demure and lady-like. She wiped the corner of with her napkin before pulling out the fork and spoon on her side.

“Wow, you’re seriously like a princess.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

“It took you 10 minutes to get ready to eat.”

Jessica just smiled and shrugged Soo Young’s words away. She finally settled in. Just then, someone appeared at her table. She looked up to find a familiar face; staring blankly at her.

“Baby, you’re here!”

Soo Young stood up and kissed Hyoyeon who was standing behind Yoona. Jessica just stared at the younger girl; was pleasantly surprised to see her again.

“This is your lunch?!”

Yoona turned to Hyoyeon; giving her a horrifying look – no, it was more like she was being conned and betrayed by her own sisters.

“Soo Young’s idea.”

“Next time, feel free to fill me in with your scheduled meetings.”

Yoona jabbed Soo Young in her arm.

“Oh come on, Yoona. I just wanted to introduce Jessica to you properly and apologise for last night.”

Soo Young pulled out a chair and made Yoona sat across Jessica. Jessica was already eating her lunch quietly. She always appeared icily cold and almost rude; much to Yoona’s chagrin.

“What do you want to eat, Yoona?”

“Is she paying?”

Yoona was pointing to Jessica. Jessica stared at her.

“Hell, no. You’re paying for your own.”

“It’s on me.”

Soo Young interrupted the two of them. Hyoyeon was confused at the sudden tension between Jessica and Yoona. She leaned closer to Soo Young.

“It didn’t well last night?”

She whispered.

“It went well but the aftermath didn’t.”

Soo Young whispered back.  Both Jessica and Yoona were still staring at each other.

-

“You came on to me.”

“What?”

“You were the one who initiated to have .”

“I did?!”

“Are you pretending to have dementia now?”

“Do you have to be this cold? You can see that I’m confused.”

“Oh? Really? It’s more like you’re trying to shrink your responsibility.”

“What?! What kind of responsibility?  We’re both women! You wouldn’t get pregnant!”

“Not that, idiot! Last night, you have to bear responsibility for it!”

“You took advantage of me when I was drunk!”

“How do you know?”

“If not, why would you bring me back to your place?”

“Be grateful! If I knew, I would let you sleep in the streets!”

“Why didn’t you?!”

“You’re such an idiot!”

They fought.

The two ladies were trying to push the blame back at each other but failed.

And now they were forced to sit down and talk things out.

It was just so insane. They could just end it like strangers but now they were forced to make amends.

“Look, last night was fun, right?”

Soo Young spoke up. The two ladies turned to look at her, aghast.

“Oh come on, which was not good?”

“That’s not the point!”

“Yoona, why are you so uptight? You used to date and sleep with girls.”

“I didn’t date her.”

“I don’t even want to.”

Jessica was sarcastic and Yoona was staring at her; gritting her teeth.

“Okay, relax. Both of you had a release. You could at least thank each other.”

“Are you insane, Soo Young? This is your fault!”

“Yeah, this is your fault!”

The two girls were pointing fingers at Soo Young. The tall girl just grinned. Her girlfriend was still busily eating; making herself scarce and almost invisible.

“But seriously, the two you had fun despite the stupid fight this morning, right?”

Both girls were in a state of denial.

-