Chapter 3.1:~ Place: Seoul, Korea~ Mission: Get the Girl

The Sky Will Always Comeback [Complete] [3:56 am]

(*Just to clarify, Nickhun doesn’t know why Hanul left. To him, she simply didn’t show up for her debut, stood him up when they were supposed to announce their engagement, and suddenly left for Korea. She never saw him after she didn’t show up for her debut, and therefore was never able to explain what was going on.) 

Nickhun’s POV

I vaguely heard voices somewhere outside my room.

“Where’s _____?”, Jaebum asked.

“She went out with Wooyoung”, Taecyeon answered.

“It’s almost five in the morning”, Jaebum said.

“Well, call Wooyoung if you’re worried.”

“No need”, I heard Wooyoung say.

There was silence, and then Jaebum said, “What happened? Is she all right?”

“Yeah, she’s just asleep”, Wooyoung replied.

“Where’d you go?”, Taecyeon asked.

“Seoul”, Wooyoung answered, and then added, “she’s moving there soon.”

And I thought, who?

Denial is protection of the heart. I no longer wanted to think about who I was and I certainly didn’t know a girl named Hanul.

Somewhere in the midst of insanity, I fell asleep.

 

“Nickhun… Nickhun, wake up. Nickhun.”

Someone was shaking me awake. I yawned and sat up.

My dream had been so lovely…

“What was it about?”

Had I said that out loud?

I blearily saw Taecyeon looking at me.

“You have to film today”, Taecyeon said, “for “Let’s Get Married”, and you have a song conference with us afterwards.”

I sighed as he pulled me up.

 

Hanul’s POV

“Whew, all done”, I said, straightening up and brushing my hands off.

“That’s all you’re going to take with you?”, Jaebum said, looking at my small pile of possessions.

“Yeah, I still haven’t gotten used to not living at college”, I explained. I’d lived in a tiny apartment in New York and the dorms at Julliard’s before that.

“Let’s go eat breakfast”, I said, and went to the kitchen.

I stopped in my tracks when I realized who was sitting at the table…Nickhun.

“Whoa”, my brother ran into me, startled by my sudden stop.

“Sorry”, I said, “Stubbed my toe.”

I walked into the room, determinedly looking above Nickhun.

“Bacon or ham?”, Jaebum asked.

“I just want some fruit”, I said, feeling shaky. I had to go around Nickhun’s chair to get a dish, as his chair was right next to the cupboards. The cupboards were so high, I wasn’t tall enough. There was no way in hell I was going to ask for help from that particular person though, so I stretched all the way on my tippy-toes. My fingers blindly felt around for a dish, until I felt one. I tried to pull it towards me, but I ended up flipping it over, over the cupboard end. I instinctively rolled back on my heels to try and catch it- but I had no heels, I was on my tippy-toes. I felt myself start to fall, and I saw the dish start to drop.

Please don’t let me die T_T, I thought.

But something warm grabbed my waist my waist and stopped me from falling, something warm pulled me back from the shattering glass.

Something warm…

I looked up, and I saw Nickhun staring straight at me.

 

Nickhun’s POV

I watched as she carefully avoided my gaze and cautiously edged around me. I ignored her. I pretended she was foreign to me. I saw her reach on her tippy-toes and for a dish. And I ignored her. But I couldn’t ignore what I saw out of the corner of my downcast eye. When I saw the dish falling, I acted instinctively. Even if I had thought about it, I would have done the same thing.  I couldn’t imagine not protecting her from serious harm if I had an option to protect her.

Still, without really thinking about it, I grabbed her around her waist to stop her from falling and flipped us around so that I was shielding her from the breaking glass. I moved back from the ricocheting glass, dragging her with me, pressing her close to me. And at the touch of her warmth, I felt the ice inside me break. I could think again, I could be myself again.
But at that same time, I felt my heart shatter as well. She was so warm, but she was like the wind, uncatchable.

We stayed there for some time, and my eyes, unknowingly, traced up her arm to her face. I stared into her eyes and she stared back, neither of us knowing we were staring at each other.

Then Taecyeon entered the kitchen and I automatically let go of her, and returned to my breakfast, ignoring the glass on the floor.

This incident had passed so quickly and quietly that Jaebum was still cooking bacon in the background, whistling. He hadn’t even glanced at the sound of breaking glass.

“Nickhun, you ready?”, Taecyeon asked.

“Yeah”, I said, and left, brushing past Hanul, who was still frozen in the same spot I had set her down on.

 

Hanul’s POV

“Hanul, you ready?”, Wooyoung asked, whirling his car keys.

“Yeah. Oppa, I still haven’t found a place to live, huh?” I said, thinking.

“I tried to go home-shopping with you yesterday night, but how can I do that when you’re asleep? Idiot, I carried you from the driveway to here. Oh, my back. I have on on four icy-hot patches. You’re so damn heavy.”

“It was probably the ice cream. I stuffed myself.”

“I would know. I paid for it!”

Smiling, I dropped my dish in the sink and said, “Let’s go.”

 

Wooyoung dropped me off at YG, wearing a pair of shades to cover his face.

“You’re not going to say anything?”, I asked, motioning to the YG building.

He blew out a puff of air. “I’ll just say this- you really know how to screw things up.”

I grinned.

“Good Luck”, he said, waved, and drove off rather quickly, screeching around a corner.

 YG President’s POV

I walked down the hallway with the Head of Department of Dance and T.O.P. of Big Bang beside me; they was directing my tour of the dance department.

I saw trainees dancing when I peered into every door, sweating, working, pushing themselves. All hoping to get chosen. And I was there to do just that. To pick three girls out of four hundred and seventy three to be background dancers for Big Bang’s next concert in America. It would be Big Bang’s first concert in America, so I would only take the best of the best. 

I had already signed contracts with SM Entertainment for BoA and M-Net Entertainment for Lee Hyori.

Both were already internationally known for their abilities and would heighten the sales for Big Bang. I planned to choose two amazing trainees from my own company as well, to show them their first bit of stardom. I had already decided on one,a girl whom I had been keeping my eye on for quite a while. Her name was Lee Suyeon. I had yet to decide the last girl. It was why I was here.

“On this floor is our top class”, Suk Hyun (Head of Department) said, showing me a hallway that was absolutely spotless.
“The hallway is very clean”, I remarked, “I’ll have to give the custodians a pay raise.”

“Oh no”, T.O.P. said satisfactorily, smirking, “this hallway was cleaned extra clean by a girl yesterday.”

“Who?”, I asked, confused.

“She’s a dance teacher here, I hired her yesterday”, Suk Hyun answered, smiling lightly at T.O.P.
“Oh, you mean the teacher we just randomly hired off the streets.”

“Yes”, he answered, “She’s on this floor, getting ready for her class, if you want to inspect her.”
“I’m not inspecting anything, Suk Hyun. Just show me her.”
He smiled and said, “Room 306.”

I peered in the room. She was dancing to music I couldn’t hear, but her figure was lovely, just right for dance and her skills, she was fabulous.  I hadn’t seen that kind of skill since Choi Hanul had been an idol.

A trainee respectfully passed me and entered the room. The teacher turned around.

My eyes widened and my heart stopped. Choi Hanul!? Is that really you? She was back? Why hadn’t the SM President told me? But then I remembered why she had left. Choi Hanul, are you all right now? I wondered. I decided to stay and watch her. Both Suk Hyun and T.O.P. also seemed interested in watching her, so we stayed and watched.

As she had just started, she had been given the impossible task of teaching an entire dance to a group of complete newbies. They had so many distasteful errors, but she patiently corrected them, step by step, and amazingly, at the end of the lesson, they could all do it just as well as our top idols. I studied Hanul’s expression the whole time, the last face I had seen her make was one of desperate, urgent pleading and total depression. Today, she smiled gently at each of the trainees and guided them with gentle hands the whole time. There was something sorrowful about her, as if she had energy deep inside that she didn’t bring out purposely. That’s it, I thought, she needs to experience idol life again. She’s forgotten her potential.

“What about her? As Big Bang’s back-up dancer?”, I proposed.

Suk Hyun seemed surprised at first, but I could tell the more he considered it, the more he accepted it. How could he not, with the evidence right in front of him? She was the best dancer we’d seen in years.

“No”, T.O.P said, “President, absolutely not. That girl’s a complete klutz. She leaves messes everywhere.”

“Well, she cleans up after them nicely”, I said.

“Only because I made her. As if I were her mother.”

“Well, take care of her again on this tour, will you? I’m counting on you.”, I replied, and left them.

The students were starting to file out,  so I opened the door and entered.

She was putting away the CD, and her back was to me.

“Teacher”, I said.

“Yes, how may I he-?”, she stopped dead at the sight of me.

“You’re supposed to pay a visit to the President before you assume a position, it’s courteous.”, I said casually, leaning my back against the wall.

She didn’t move an inch, she didn’t even blink.

I smiled and walked up to her and shook her gently by the shoulders.

She backed away and bowed respectfully.

“I want you as a back-up dancer for Big Bang when they tour in America next week.”, I said, and turned around to leave.

I felt her grab my hand, so I turned around.

“President, I’m Choi Hanul”, she said desperately, as if that condemned her to some sin.
I just smiled again, lifted my eyebrows and said,“ Choi Hanul, I want you as a back-up dancer for Big Bang when they tour in America next week.”

And I left.

Choi Hanul, I thought, last time the only help I could give you against that bastard SM President was to keep silent. This time I’m going to speak up and help you get what you lost last time. You’re going to become an idol better than any of theirs and shut the damn President’s mouth.  

 

A/N:
seoulvibe: there you go. haha, nickhun caught her instead of taecyeon. :P <3
Haha, so just in case people didn't realize the connection: The YG President was the one who kept Hanul's scandel with Nickhun silent, going agianst the SM President three and a half years ago.