Chapter 38

What Is Love?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Is that enough?” Leeteuk ask Taeyeon beside her as the man before them had cut the beef in piece.

 

Taeyeon look at the pieces of beef. “Hmm.. it’s enough.” after taking the beef from the man, they both went to another side of the supermarket. They then arrived at the pork section. Taeyeon took the 5 kilograms of pork belly. Leeteuk only trailed behind her as he pushed the trolley.

 

It’s been 3 days since the last restaurant things. The day after that, Mrs. Goo tried to call Taeyeon yet Taeyeon only ignore it. When Mrs. Goo came to the office to meet Taeyeon, she also refused to meet her. She even waited for Taeyeon outside her penthouse, but unfortunately, Taeyeon live at the mansion for a while that she hadn’t went home.

 

So here they are. Spending their Saturday afternoon for shopping. Shopping means buy the groceries. Taeyeon thought of making a barbeque party, although it’s unlikely Taeyeon. She also invite Nayoung, Minah and Jookyung. And what the most surprised and shocking thing? Taeyeon also invited Jooeun and Akira.

 

After done the shopping things and paying, Taeyeon and both Leeteuk head back to mansion. On their way back, they stop at the coffee shop for a while. Taeyeon suddenly want americano, not forget to buy one for Leeteuk.

 

As they arrived at the mansion, it’s been 4. Nayoung had arrived first. After Taeyeon arrived with the groceries, both her and Taeyeon soon prepared the meat. While Leeteuk and Sandeul were on the backyard, preparing the grilling things. Mr. Park went down, and about to help Sandeul and Leeteuk, but was being pushed back to mansion by Sandeul. Sandeul is reasoning that Mr. Park only need to sit and wait for the meat to grill. Oh well, what can an old man like him do? He look at the kitchen where Taeyeon and Nayoung were working in sync. Taeyeon would make the sauce, and Nayoung would taste it. After that both put the sauce at the meat. Putting it in a big plate. Mr. Park smile. He never felt any noise in the mansion ever since his wife passed away. Both him and Leeteuk also rarely at mansion, since Leeteuk had been at Canada for his treatment. He smile gratefully and went back to his room.

 

Right on the time, Jookyung and Minah arrived. Although Leeteuk had said no need to bring anything, still, in their hand were a bottle of soju and a few cans of beer. They should appreciate it, right?

 

As they all had gathered at the backyard, together with Mr. Park, Taeyeon still busying herself with another dish. She cut the red and green chilli, celery, red onion, potatoes, carrots, fresh vegetables and other things, then put it at the big pot. After that she pour a water inside the pot. She’s about to carry the pot to the backyard when a hand carry the pot from her.

 

“I’ll carry it.” she smile to Leeteuk that had bring the pot to the backyard. She then clean up all the kitchen at the mess, together with another maid that came to help her. Halfway cleaning up, the mansion bell rang. She went to open the door and greet her were Jooeun and Akira.

 

She only nodded her head at Jooeun flatly and let them in. Taeyeon led both of them to the backyard. Behind her, Akira can’t stop to adore the whole mansion look. It has both European and Korean style. Not boring. And it always look nice no matter how long you stay here. As they arrived at the backyard, Akira felt a bit awkward. The only one she knew only Leeteuk there. But thanks to Jooeun, as they introduced each other, the awkwardness slowly faded away.

 

Taeyeon soon followed them. With her hair tied in a messy ponytail and her casual style. She took the can of beer that Jookyung brought before and gulp it. She’s about to open the second can but Leeteuk pull away the can from her.

 

“Not after you eat first.” Taeyeon rolled her eyes as she was being pulled to join the rest. Sandeul and Jookyung were grilling the meat now. With Mr. Park talking to them while grilling. Nayoung took care of the soup, while the other rest were sitting while having a women chat. After the soup had boil, Nayoung then put in 5 pack of ramyun in the pot. As Nayoung about to stir it, Taeyeon came to take handle of the soup.

 

“I will do it.” Nayoung nodded and went to join the rest.

 

Jooeun eyed Taeyeon then she went to her. “I can help you.” Taeyeon raised her head and nodded. Jooeun took the stir as Taeyeon went inside to bring out some seasonings from kitchen. She pour some at the soup and taste it. Surprisingly, she also offer to Jooeun which accept it gladly.

 

 

“Stop it.” Jooeun prevent Taeyeon from drinking her beer. She’s worried as it’s Taeyeon fifth can of beer.

 

“I’ve high tolerance.” she resume drinking again. Jooeun shook her head and sip onto her coke as both her and Taeyeon stand side by side while they look at the view ahead. Jooeun can’t stop adoring the mansion. They’re at the backyard, and from where both her and Taeyeon stand, there’s still view ahead of them. A wide field ahead with full of types and colourful flowers.

 

“It’s for the other day.” Taeyeon start off. Jooeun frowned, try to digest what Taeyeon said. The other day? Ah.. the movie night.

 

“Gwaenchanha.” she said lightly as if it’s not a big problem.

 

Taeyeon gulp on her beer as she look ahead. The flower ahead of them is Leeteuk mom favourites. She always took care of the flower since it’s her hobby. Even after she was gone, the flowers still taken good care. Thanks to Mr. Park and Leeteuk that took part in taking care of the flowers.

 

“I want to know if..” she turned her head to Taeyeon. “..I had make a long progress with you?” she stare at her hopefully.

 

Taeyeon bit inside her cheek as she pondered. She stare at her can that almost empty now.

 

“Should I?” she mumbled lightly.

 

“It’s okay if you don’t want to tell.”

 

“Geundae Taeyeon-ah..” she look at Taeyeon as if pondering if she should ask her or not. But then decided she should have ask her.

 

“What happened after I left?” Taeyeon hand pause mid air as she’s about to drink her beer. Her eyes hardened, and her grip also tighten on the can.

 

Jooeun saw all of it. How Taeyeon react after she ask her.

 

Taeyeon look at the other side and exhaled. “I ran away.”

 

Jooeun widen her eyes. Taeyeon ran away? How? Why?

 

“Broken ribs, bleeding lips, fracture legs, and bluish bruise on hand. Adding a high fever after the beaten.” The way Taeyeon said it all as if she just get hit by a bicycle, and it makes Jooeun shiver.

 

“I kill him, after that I ran away.” she exhaled. “But he’s still alive.” Taeyeon was looking far ahead. As if she regret why she failed to kill the father of her.

 

Taeyeon gulp down all her beer and squeeze the can hard till it’s out of shape. Jooeun had to hold her tears. She know Taeyeon life always rough and hard because of her father. But, seeing how even Taeyeon still treated like that, and how Jooeun just left without even minding if Taeyeon will be alright or not, she can’t stop to blame herself. Even if one day she found out that her father had killed her, she’s the one to blame. Why should she left Taeyeon when she need her the most?

 

Taeyeon didn’t budge an inch as Jooeun hug her tightly. She realize how Jooeun shoulder shake from crying. Taeyeon only stand still without making any effort on comforting Jooeun. Her hands on both her side.

 

That small house was full of broken furniture. Chair, table, window, everything were not in their shape anymore. And the 15 years old Taeyeon had been on the floor, leaning on the wall as she wince in pain. A few days after Jooeun left, a few days after her almost dead day, she was in the same state again. Even her last bruise hasn’t been cured, yet here comes the new one. Her father just went home drunk. And he also in need of money. The only source of money he has only Taeyeon. But what to do, when every Taeyeon hard work had been stolen of from him, that to be honest, Taeyeon hadn’t eaten anything since her money had been taken away by her father to buy beer, and gambling.

 

Her father went home after losing from gambling, again. In his drunken state, he start to beat Taeyeon again when Taeyeon didn’t gave him money. Taeyeon was starving at that time, how can she even gave him money? Thus, her father start to beat her again. After beating her, her father left. And now here’s Taeyeon. She couldn’t even move her body for a while. Her whole body ached. Ached freaking much.

 

Sun had went down. As Taeyeon can moved now, she slowly tend her bruise and wound like how she always did. And the story repeat again every day. Her coming to school full of bruise and wound. Classmate talking and whispering behind her. Teacher even couldn’t do anything since she’s not from wealthy family. She’s all alone.

 

Till the day Taeyeon can’t hold it anymore. Before her father went home, she had planned things very carefully. She packed all her clothes, her books, and other things she would need when she ran away from those small yet a hell for her. She hide her bags well so as her father won’t notice it. Just like how she predicted, her father went home drunk. Her father was most scary when he’s drunk. And he always drunk all the time that Taeyeon wonder when her father will die from drinking too much. Sadly, God didn’t answer her pray, yet.

 

In Taeyeon hand was a big wood. She know her father will barge her room, ask her for money, and if Taeyeon didn’t give him, she would start to beat her. All of that had been like a script that repeated everyday. But this time, Taeyeon had to change her script. Forever.

 

As her father barge in her room, and before her father could beat her when Taeyeon didn’t give him money, Taeyeon had swing her wood hard at her father back. End up he collapsed, writhing in pain and cursing her. But Taeyeon had changed the moment Jooeun left.  Gone those scared and afraid look she always has. It was change to emotionless, flat and blank look. As her father still cursing her for being ungrateful brat and for hitting her, Taeyeon swing her wood once again. She aims for his head. Luckily for Taeyeon father, Taeyeon didn’t aimed at his head directly. That’s why he end up didn’t die, but end up dying. Taeyeon didn’t hit his head like how she planned it. She aimed for his lower head. Even if his head had a severe bleeding, he won’t die at place.

 

Seeing how her father didn’t move anymore, Taeyeon took all her bags and left the hell she had lived for fifteen years. It’s time to start a new life all by herself. She’ll be the one that write all her script, all her journey, and she will be the one that cast all the people in her life. Since that time, the new Taeyeon was born. Gone the smiley Taeyeon, gone the warm Taeyeon. Here comes the flat and blank Taeyeon, the cold and icy Taeyeon, and the lonely Taeyeon.

 

 

“Have you met Taeyeon, Hara?” Mr. Goo ask his daughter as all the family had gather at the dining table that Sunday morning.

 

Hara frowned. Didn’t like the idea of meeting Kim Taeyeon. Not to mention the last bruise she gave her.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter