XX PART 1

Taking Chances...

20.1


     Baekhyun’s day at the coffee shop went like the usual. Taking orders and serving coffees to customers; running errands here and there. Doing his work dutifully and to the very best that he can.

Of course his day couldn’t be called ‘the usual’ without Suzy’s constant teasing and question –which he would only ignore- much to the dismay of his workmate. He knows that Suzy knows something’s going on between him and the giant but he was thankful that his workmate never went over the line.

To say the least, it was a typical work day for Baekhyun.

Except for one thing.

During his lunch break, he received a call from his school. When he saw the caller ID, he suddenly felt like he was just pushed off a cliff with no chance of being alive once he hit the ground. He felt like this because every student body knows that the school only calls you for two things. One, you’re screwed. Second, a good news.

As he pushes the answer button, he braced himself for whatever reason the school is calling him. It’s not impossible for the school to call and tell him that he no longer a scholar and that he’ll be dropped or at least he needs to pay his own tuition fee if he wanted to continue. He braced himself for another painful act the cruel world will play on him.

Fortunately he fell in category two.

But…

Baekhyun’s not sure whether it was really good news or a bad news.

 

 

 

“Baekhyun you can take your break now.” Suzy flashed him with sweet smile.

“I’ll be back in 30.”

 Baekhyun returns the smile before flashing into the staff’s room. He rummaged through his bag to get his packed lunch but was distracted to see his phone’s notification light flashing. He set aside his lunch and picked up his phone. He unlocked it, only to be greeted with 13 missed calls and 21 messages. He navigated his phone only to find out that almost everything came from one giant idiot with big ears. Baekhyun felt himself smiling. He never felt so cared and important like this in a long time. And it all thanks to Chanyeol. The giant sure knows how to get good points from him and who is Baekhyun to not give some? After all he just keeps falling harder with the said giant.

He didn’t bother to reply to any of Chanyeol’s messages (We’re going to see each other later, he reasoned out).

As he was about to put his phone away, it started ringing. At first he thought it was Chanyeol but as soon as he saw the caller ID, he began to break into cold sweats. With a shaking hand, he nervously tapped the ‘answer’ button and closed his eyes.

“H-hello?” He answered hesitantly.

“May I speak to Mr. Byun Baekhyun please?” The woman on the other line said.

“Speaking Ma’am.”

“Oh. Okay. I just wanted to tell you—“ This is it! Bye world. “—that second semester is starting next week.”

Baekhyun let out a relieved sigh. He silently thanks all the gods for making the odd to be in his favor this time. “Yes, ma’am.” He politely replied.

“I also called to inform you about a very important matter” And with that Baekhyun’s heartbeat started to quicken once again. “Every year the faculty of Law selects two best students for a one year student exchange program in California. To be brutally honest Mr. Byun you’re not qualified for this program since you’re a scholar but seeing that you’re currently one of our best, the board of committee decided to give you one of the slots.

You’re very lucky Mr. Byun for getting an offer like this. Not everyone get this once in a life time opportunity. I say you think these through and give us answer when you go to school next week.

We sent out the full details to your email and if you happen to not receive it just give us a call and we’ll send it again.

That’s all Mr. Byun, I hope I didn’t interrupt you. Have a nice day.”

Baekhyun was quick to respond saying that she didn’t interrupt anything before saying thank you and wishing the woman on the other line a nice day as well.

Still in a dazed, Baekhyun immediately check his email. And as he stared at the message, all thoughts of being hungry and food and eating were quickly replaced by an unknown, uneasy feeling.

 

STANDFORD UNIVERSITY 2014 STUDENT EXCHANGE PROGRAM DETAILS AND FAQS

₰₰₰

Chanyeol is pacing back and forth in Jongin’s bedroom (yep, he crashed into his best friend’s house), trying his hardest to plan the dinner that his brother has set-up tonight. The reason? Why of course, Baekhyun.

It’s not that he’s nervous to introduce Baekhyun to Suho, it’s quite the opposite actually. But what bothers him actually is how to make the evening perfect. He wanted Baekhyun to feel that he’s welcome to the family and Suho can be the big brother his partner had been longing for.

Chanyeol knows that it won’t be easy on Baekhyun’s part because the latter never got this much contact with other people for such a long time. It’s just that…

“Hyung, can you please calm down.” Jongin interrupted his thoughts and Chanyeol was about to sneer at the younger when he noticed the dark aura surrounding Jongin.

“Hey, are you okay?” Chanyeol’s big brother mode automatically and brought a comforting hand to Jongin’s left shoulder.

“Well, if you’re definition of ‘okay’ is of me still breathing, then yes I’m okay.” Jongin laugh but it’s the most downhearted laugh Chanyeol ever heard in his entire existence.

Now that he thinks about it, Jongin’s been awfully silent since his unannounced arrival. Usually when he comes like this, Jongin would be super jumpy and energetic asking back to back silly questions like ‘what the hell on earth did you eat that you made the initiative to come to my house?’ Or ‘did you miss me so much you can’t even tell me you’re coming to see me?’

But no. This Jongin Chanyeol is seeing right now is far from it. It’s disheartening to see the younger like this and Chanyeol would’ve asked a lot of questions if not for realizing the root of Jongin’s problem. Instead, he composed himself and gave Jongin an advice that he himself could not believe is capable of.

“You know Jongin, falling in love is one of the best feeling a person could experience.  But isn’t it funny that it could also make us feel the sh**iest person ever grace the earth?

Now, I won’t say anymore on the matters of your heart but remember this; Holding on isn’t always a good thing. Sometimes you’ve got to let go to realize that enough is enough.”

Chnayeol gave Jongin a reassuring squeeze on the shoulders before walking towards the door. But just before he reaches and turn the doorknob, Jongin spoke.

“Thank you Chanyeol-hyung.” Jongin paused and Chanyeol can sense how broken Jongin sounds. “Thank you for understanding and for the advice.”

 The taller guy reaches out for the doorknob and opened the door.

“And hyung.” Jongin spoke once more. “Don’t ever let go of Baekhyun okay?”

Chanyeol smiled. I won’t. He mentally answered before closing the door behind him.

 

 

 






Hey! Guess who's back, Yay! I was finally able to get all my BaekYeol feels back and hooray for an update. This is kind of short and I know I promised you a KaiSoo-centric chapter last time but I just couldn't fit it in so yeah. Next time okay? It's not yet time. And yep this is Chapter 20 Part 1. ///Part 2 is coming, hopefully soon. So stay tune. And please do leave a comment. Come on talk to me guys....

About my new fanfic (Defying Gravity) I'm going to start writing it as soon as my school vacation starts which is, by the way in two weeks, so wait patiently. Okay? In the meantime why don't you check out the foreword? Here

So that's it. Talk to you guys on the next update.

TWITTER@xoxoluckyexo